• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

nib95

Banned
Let's try this again, Concept I cooked up earlier (originally a personal project to rebrand Sony but then I started thinking about PS4 and switched focus). Got inspired by Sony's BR players from CES 2012 but wanted to pay homage to the PS2. Thought about the layout logically(I'm not a thermal dynamics expert but I did draw a product sketch of how the air flow MIGHT work. I wanted to use triangles and play up Sony's flagship BR player. I went with PS2-esque design because while PSX redefined gaming I think the PS2 was the more iconic of the two consoles in several ways. Anyways yeah, made out of boredom in Photoshop.

Looks awesome.

That's an audio amplifier.

I know lol. The others were blu ray players. I was just using it as a concept idea.

plainr_

Let's try this again, Concept I cooked up earlier (originally a personal project to rebrand Sony but then I started thinking about PS4 and switched focus). Got inspired by Sony's BR players from CES 2012 but wanted to pay homage to the PS2. Thought about the layout logically(I'm not a thermal dynamics expert but I did draw a product sketch of how the air flow MIGHT work. I wanted to use triangles and play up Sony's flagship BR player. I went with PS2-esque design because while PSX redefined gaming I think the PS2 was the more iconic of the two consoles in several ways. Anyways yeah, made out of boredom in Photoshop.

Your concept looks very sexy. Although, I'm kinda hoping Sony does something more drastic in design. Something in terms of setting it apart from their previous consoles.

Seep

Kirkandscottynodding.gif

If by best you mean worst then yes, I agree.

Just look at that B button. Hilarious.

And that Y/X positioning. My mind is full of fuck. GameCube design was pretty funny. I mean let's forget about the controller and look at the handle behind the console... :lol

You're missing one of the best things about the GCN button layout.

When on-screen instructions would pop up telling you to "push X button" you instantly knew which direction to move your thumb based on the shape of the button showing on the screen.

Since they weren't all circles, you weren't going, "which one is X, again?"

Does this Boomerang PS4 Controller Concept Look Great?

7d31f29339cbd52d4fea37d733a4ec3f.jpg
ps4-concept.jpg

More at the link.
By: Justin Quinn – a freelance 3D artist and designer.

It looks like someone forgot to change to perspective view from orthographic view

Kyoufu

You're missing one of the best things about the GCN button layout.

When on-screen instructions would pop up telling you to "push X button" you instantly knew which direction to move your thumb based on the shape of the button showing on the screen.

Since they weren't all circles, you weren't going, "which one is X, again?"

I've never done that with the Dualshock/Xbox controllers, but I get your point.

QTEs are horrible though so this doesn't exactly convince me of anything positive in regards to the design of the controller :p

Soi-Fong

Would love for this to be the design. Such an awesome homage to PS2.

Pagusas

Elden Member

yes please, Keep it simple, stupid! I wish they'd follow that design philosophy. Every game console minus the black wii is terribly ugly. They all look like toys or grills. I just want one that looks like a regular piece of A/V equipment. You can still do a lot of styling inside that design, just look at all the awesome AV receiver designs on the market!

Takuya

Banned

Looks too much like an AppleTV/mac mini. Also gives me vibes of an external hard drive. The glass finish looks nice but I don't find it works for that. Also, there will be two front USB 3.0 ports, so those should've been blue.

sony_bdp-s185_blu-ray_player_1.jpg

Yeah, I want something like that. A 21st century piece of technology for an adult rather than some fisher price toy with exaggerated buttons and logos and other stupid shit.

Laranja

ipcsuy7bATDCF.jpg

iblC4USMOisg2h.jpg

ipckK8y8ytaZD.jpg

I hope it's OK to quote the pictures, since they're not on this page yet and more people need to see them.

Anyway, this is beautiful, dude! Great work!

I find that most fan-made console mock-ups look incredibly tacky and gaudy, revealing a complete ignorance of basic product design by the artists behind them. Not this one, though!

Coxy

those look fantastic, I'd buy the hell out of a blue version of that

I definitely could work with that as the console.

I REALLY like the packaging.

My only recommendation is a monochrome "PS" symbol

Hmmm...very odd decision from Sony. If they're going to 'borrow' the idea of having some sort of touch input on their controller, surely it would make more sense to have the PS4 controller resemble the Vita, but with decent analog sticks, than stick a tiny touchpad on the thing. Just replace the LED capacitive screen with an LCD resistive touchscreen and the cost of manufacturing and the resulting retail price of the controllers sold separately should be reasonable.

A touchscreen would make more sense than a small touchpad, surely..?

Mandoric

Banned
Most consoles look flat out stupid. The design should be simple and elegant.

Any design element which gets wholesale adopted by consoles will become goofy and stupid by virtue of being on little Timmy's Halo box. Chasing style too hard for a mass-market toy is a waste of time.

Doesn't mean it can't look good, but you're never, ever, ever gonna satisfy the market of 20somethings afraid it'll keep them from getting laid when they bring their date back to their apartment.

Orayn

Hmmm...very odd decision from Sony. If they're going to 'borrow' the idea of having some sort of touch input on their controller, surely it would make more sense to have the PS4 controller resemble the Vita, but with decent analog sticks, than stick a tiny touchpad on the thing. Just replace the LED capacitive screen with an LCD resistive touchscreen and the cost of manufacturing and the resulting retail price of the controllers sold separately should be reasonable.

It would still mean an order of magnitude increase in the price of the controller and a huge hit for the battery life, not to mention the negative public image that they're copying the GamePad. I do not see it happening.

It's certainly a bit on the small side but I'm banking on it having a feature that makes it more than just a touchpad, either displaying something or tracking 3D space above it.

I think Mista Koo's mockup was closest in terms of touchpad size.
New one for the new page:

ZElmXbr.png

Check the OP vgleak button list. Aside from legacy games, which could be solved by connecting a DS3, I don't have a problem with it. The vast majority of games act like it doesn't exist, and I wouldn't be surprised if most DS3 owners are even aware it exists.

The "analog" buttons for DS2 and DS3 are digital. Technically so are the sticks on them, just like 360.

Digital potentiometers.

Remind me not to buy a used PS4.
The "analog" buttons for DS2 and DS3 are digital. Technically so are the sticks on them, just like 360.

Digital potentiometers.

Yes but it's unhelpful terminology to class everything as digital or say it doesn't have analog sticks, I don't know how the triggers are measured but the signal they'll send to the PS4 will be an integer regardless. At some stage it's measuring an physically variable input and reporting it as a number, like how driving wheels just report a 16 bit value. Without resorting to analog wireless signals, there's no other way.

Haunted

I hope that they will swap the placing of cross with the left stick, current dualshock put alot of strain on the hand.
Nope. They stuck with the wrong stick placement for three generations, I don't see them fixing it now.

If the prototype pictures are any indication, at least they've improved on the form factor. Longer handles, bigger and bulkier rump should make it more comfortable to hold.

Remind me not to buy a used PS4.

Yes but it's unhelpful terminology to class everything as digital or say it doesn't have analog sticks, I don't know how the triggers are measured but the signal they'll send to the PS4 will be an integer regardless. At some stage it's measuring an physically variable input and reporting it as a number, like how driving wheels just report a 16 bit value. Without resorting to analog wireless signals, there's no other way.

Yeah, I mean we've been getting terrible terminology for every single leak, so I wouldn't be surprised it this is just another terrible way of wording things.

Top Bottom