• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Rumor: Beyond Good&Evil 2 funded by Nintendo for NX

Found the following from some Ubisoft Forum, so it might not be right:
GCN BEYOND GOOD & EVIL $6,712 367
PS2 BEYOND GOOD & EVIL $36,380 2,165
XBX BEYOND GOOD & EVIL $10,639 948

Oh, OK. My memory was from when the game was out on those consoles. I don't know why I thought it was GameCube.

What do the second set of numbers represent?

I don't know. But i'm happy Nintendo take the chance to ressurect the sequel.
If the rumor is true, it's pretty great.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I'm against moneyhatting games that otherwise would release on all platforms, however if the alternative is to not have a game get made... why would you have a problem with Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony resurrecting a dead game?

Any anger here towards Nintendo is displaced.

If you put it that way...

There would be something inherently hilarious about Nintendo funding BG&E2, the predecessor of which people criticized as "being too similar to Zelda".

Which, let me be perfectly clear, and I know I will be in the extreme minority when saying this - BG&E is the only 3D Zelda game I like.

Come at me.

If they end up getting it as an exclusive, more power to 'em, also it would show how fucked that project is at Ubi if they're looking to cut a deal with a platform holder.

Just look no further than Street Fighter 5. Many did a complete 180 on this one. From the infamous phrase "they are stealing our games" to "Look it´s completely different, SF4 was only a multi million selling IP, therefore a sequel needed Sonys funding, otherwise there wouldn´t be SF5 , you know."

Care to elaborate?

Every time a 3rd party game has gone exclusive there is a furnace of anger that spills out regardless of the circumstances or the console it is going to.

BAYO2
SFV
TR

Even new IP like:

Bloodborne(The meltdowns over this game in particular is legendary)
Scalebound

The only way you could think there is some odd acceptance of gaf that skews toward Sony would be if you have not been around here very long or if you just have blinders up.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow, just because he actually want to play the game. Some of you need to take a deep breath and maybe step back a little.

Didn't even comment on the game but gotta insult the guy because Nintendo...

If he wants to play the game he should be happy for this. Nintendo is letting him, as thee is no way it would be developed without them.

Pinky

Banned
In this very thread:

Well, that's unfortunate. Truth be told, whether the rumor is true or false, he probably wouldn't have had a means to play it anyway, assuming no one else cared to fund the game and Nintendo was the last publisher that Ubi/Ancel approached.

If Nintendo is footing the bill for this, I wouldn't be surprised if this is taking the place of whatever Red Steel or ZombiU-style Ubisoft exclusive Nintendo was hoping for. They aren't willing to put their necks on the block after the Wii U, but they were willing to offload this established thing that they didn't really want onto Nintendo instead.

Nintendo builds fences with a big third party, and gets a cult darling into the bargain. Provided the price is right, that's a win-win.

I buy Nintendo consoles so I'm obviously happy about this possibility. That said, I sympathize with the people who would not be able to play it for whatever reason. However, the way I see it, if Nintendo is funding this, it means the game wasn't going to get made as a multi-plat to begin with, because if Ubisoft had any real intent to do that, why would they choose to limit themselves to an unproven platform that is coming off the disaster that is the Wii U? If this rumor is true, it's because the game wasn't going to get made otherwise.

Barakov

Gold Member
As long as it gets made. That's all I care about.

Provided this rumor is true, there isn't a single negative for Nintendo in this situation. They need more 3rd party games that you can't get anywhere else for the NX.

fernoca

What do the second set of numbers represent?
NPD sales from a month between December 2013 and October 2014. (Total in dollars, units sold that month)

No month is cited. The user was asking for total sales but got that as a response which was only one month...a month.

If he wants to play the game he should be happy for this. Nintendo is letting him, as thee is no way it would be developed without them.

Well, that's unfortunate. Truth be told, whether the rumor is true or false, he probably wouldn't have had a means to play it anyway, assuming no one else cared to fund the game and Nintendo was the last publisher that Ubi/Ancel approached.

It's still a rumor, and Ancel and Guillemot confirmed that the game was in development countless times since 2003, I don't know if what the rumor says is true or not but even without it I knew that BG&E was going to happen with the several teases Ancel did troughout the years. Now is it because of Nintendo? I don't know and we're going to see at E3.

If Nintendo funded the game then I'm completely happy and support that decision.

ultrazilla

Isn't Ubisoft fighting off a hostile takeover? Nintendo outright buying Ubi to
be a second party developer would be an amazing move. I'd still let Ubi produce games
for other platforms but obviously Nintendo would get those games along with
exclusives.

Them funding Beyond Good and Evil 2 isn't shocking tbh.

NateDrake

The initial source being Geno made me question the validity of this rumor, but they did get a second confirmation from another source. Wouldn't be too surprised if it were true as it would give Nintendo a nice "surprise" announcement to make alongside the NX reveal at E3.

-Horizon-

be a second party developer would be an amazing move. I'd still let Ubi produce games
exclusives.

Ubi is possibly being bought off? By who? This is news to me :0

In that light, maybe funding an exclusive that Ubisoft didn't care much about otherwise was the only way they would play ball.

If Nintendo is really that desperate to get an AAA Western story-driven franchise of their own (and I maintain that it's far too late to make any real inroads with the PS4/XB1 audience, and they probably shouldn't bother), they'd be better off funding an original IP than a sequel to a game that bombed well over a decade ago.

Nanashrew

Banned
If Nintendo is really that desperate to get an AAA Western story-driven franchise of their own (and I maintain that it's far too late to make any real inroads with the PS4/XB1 audience, and they probably shouldn't bother), they'd be better off funding an original IP than a sequel to a game that bombed well over a decade ago.

That hasn't stopped Nintendo before.

exclusives.

Nintendo doesn't have the money to buy Ubisoft.

Pinky

Banned
It's still a rumor, and Ancel and Guillemot confirmed that the game was in development countless times since 2003, I don't know if what the rumor says is true or not but even without it I knew that BG&E was going to happen with the several teases Ancel did troughout the years. Now is it because of Nintendo? I don't know and we're going to see at E3.

If Nintendo funded the game then I'm completely happy and support that decision.

Oh, I acknowledge this is nothing more than a rumor. I'm just speaking hypothetically. However, if the game has been in development since 2003, I'd say the rumor actually seems a little more believable. After 13 years of development limbo, I'd imagine Ancel felt he had no choice but to seek support from the outside. Nintendo could very well be just that. E3 could prove to be quite interesting.

Phyla

That'd be a weird course of events. I'd think that Ubi has sufficient resources to release a game like that. But, considering the sales of the first title, they might not want to.

This would actually have me consider buying a Nintendo platform. For the first time in my life.

Ogodei

It's not about that. It's about shoring up the margins, like Bayonetta 2 or earlier for-the-fans projects like Sin and Punishment 2. It breeds goodwill, definitely convinces a nonzero number of people to buy the console, and provides more unique games to Nintendo consoles that don't have an impact individually, but do have an impact together.

Every time a 3rd party game has gone exclusive there is a furnace of anger that spills out regardless of the circumstances or the console it is going to.

BAYO2
SFV
TR

Even new IP like:

Bloodborne(The meltdowns over this game in particular is legendary)
Scalebound

The only way you could think there is some odd acceptance of gaf that skews toward Sony would be if you have not been around here very long or if you just have blinders up.

Lol yea GAF does favor Sony in general, given the last few years though I think it's become more of a trust thing though.

I'll day one an NX for many reasons. This game coming would be one of them

Ponchito

This is great for Nintendo, though I'm not sure BG&E is the heavy-weight they need. Still, they need this and a hell lot more of deals like this one.

Lol yea GAF does favor Sony in general, given the last few years though I think it's become more of a trust thing though.

I'll day one an NX for many reasons. This game coming would be one of them

Things are definitely more Pro-Sony lately but that is mostly because they just haven't screwed up as bad as Nintendo or MS. Last gen though it was a completely different story.

impact

Banned
I can't see why they would do this. BG&E is a flop franchise that no one outside of gaming forums remembers. That remaster on XBLA/PSN reminded me just how not good the game actually was. Glad there was a demo!

Balb

Things are definitely more Pro-Sony lately but that is mostly because they just haven't screwed up as bad as Nintendo or MS. Last gen though it was a completely different story.

Nah, it was even worse last gen when Sony was struggling early on. I think I saw Killzone 2 gifs showing off its graphics in 90% of the threads for a while.

I just don't believe this for a second. Beyond Good & Evil 2 is a game that will require at least close to a AAA budget I would assume, and I doubt Nintendo is willing to spend that much. But even if they were, I don't see why Ubisoft would risk a major cult classic IP on a new Nintendo system. Plus, there would be the outrage for those not interested in the NX.

Top Bottom