• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Rumor: Beyond Good&Evil 2 funded by Nintendo for NX

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Go into a Vita thread and say GAF is pro Sony. Sony gets a lot of flack for that.

The PS4 is the current leading system so of course it's going to have the greatest number of fans on GAF. It's basic maths.

Nah, it was even worse last gen when Sony was struggling early on. I think I saw Killzone 2 gifs showing off its graphics in 90% of the threads for a while.

That was almost 3 years after the PS3's launch and it was mostly because everyone on the planet expected that game to fall miles away from the reveal trailer. It was the last bastion of hope for the Diehards. Do you remember The $599, No Rumble, Lair, Heavenly Sword and basically every exclusive that released being laughed at because of how bad it was selling?

Ill tell you what was in every thread. The chalkboard with _BLANK___Will Save PS3.

You have to be in some type of fantasy land if you don't think the public opinion wasn't heavily against Playstation. Especially in the wake of Wii and 360.

I hope it's true. Getting a sequel to BG&E would be great.

I have to say I didn't expect console warring bullshit in the OP though. I mean sure, in a 13 page thread there's gonna be console-warring because Nintendo, but in the damn OP? Shame.

As long as it gets made. That's all I care about.

Provided this rumor is true, there isn't a single negative for Nintendo in this situation. They need more 3rd party games that you can't get anywhere else for the NX.

Not a single negative? This game won't be cheap. It will easily go into the tens of millions of dollars.

They could easily outbid Vivendi if they actually wanted it. Nintendo has around 10bn in cash reserves.

Those 10b in cash reserves have gone down quite a bit thanks to the failure of the Wii U.

Nanashrew

Banned
Not a single negative? This game won't be cheap.

Those 10b in cash reserves have gone down quite a bit thanks to the failure of the Wii U.

Not just Wii U, but they're making other purchases too. We still don't know the name of the western company they purchased IIRC, and they also recently purchased DeNA.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not just Wii U, but they're making other purchases too. We still don't know the name of the western company they purchased IIRC, and they also recently purchased DeNA.
Huh?

SalvaPot

Ok things like this I definitely don't get, why would anyone ever wish for 3rd party exclusives?

If its on games that have been on limbo for a long long time I am ok with this.

Same reason I am happy Shenmue 3 got funded, even if I have no interest in buying it. As long as fans get to play a game they have been waiting for.

As far as I know they didn't buy DeNA as a whole. They just bought some shares. This is what I recall (sorry, no time to google it).

Uh okaaaaaay
But it is gonna take a lot more than that to make me buy an nx console >_>;

This is such a weird post. Why the eye-roll attitude? This is practically the only thing that has been hinted at for NX. Everything else is top secret. It's not like you have certain knowledge about what's to come already.

Verendus

Banned
This is such a weird post. Why the eye-roll attitude? This is practically the only thing that has been hinted at for NX. Everything else is top secret. It's not like you have certain knowledge about what's to come already.
History tells him software droughts, underperforming console, and a huge disappointment. I'm just guessing that's why he said that.

Because I'm psychic.

AniHawk

History tells him software droughts, underperforming console, and a huge disappointment. I'm just guessing that's why he said that.

Because I'm psychic.

yeah but if it comes to nx handheld it should be awesome since nx handheld has exclusive features like first-party support and existing.

Things are definitely more Pro-Sony lately but that is mostly because they just haven't screwed up as bad as Nintendo or MS. Last gen though it was a completely different story.

yeah, the pro-sony sentiment is understandable, they've been knocking it out of the park this gen and the last half of last gen and they really earned their turnaround in perception after the PS3 launch.

I think that gaf is evening itself out in that regard. if anything, around the beginning of this gen, things were less 'Pro-sony' and more 'Anti-microsoft' for a while around here. i still laugh thinking about this thread and how perfectly it encapsulated the relative unfairness with which people were treating Microsoft/Xbox One in damn near every thread for a while. (and how it's still perfectly representative of GAF's worst internal meme, that being the constant first post fellatio. I know full well it's not my place to suggest as much but I'll ask anyway - why is that kind of thing not punishable? The worst ones are sure-fire thread derails that necessitate mod intervention, you'd think there'd be a rule for it by now.) And I mean, shit, MS brought that on themselves, but that didn't make it any less stupid

goddamnit Gonzo why'd you go and get yourself banned :(

So they sequel to a game that underperformed is (maybe) coming exclusively to the sequel to a console that underperformed?

I don't know that I understand the reasoning for either party involved, but whatever. They each must've had some reason.

AniHawk

So they sequel to a game that underperformed is (maybe) coming exclusively to the sequel to a console that underperformed?

I don't know that I understand the reasoning for either party involved, but whatever. They each must've had some reason.

nintendo fleshes out their lineup, and ubisoft gets money to get a game in development hell done and out the door with the potential of making money back.

Source? A recent one.

From their 2015 financials it's actually closer to 8.3bn dollars due decreasing value of the yen and some spending since 2012.

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=7974:TYO

Whether they actually would, definitely not. Doesn't fit Nintendo's style.

Yep, since the Wii U they've dropped about 20% in reserves and 40% in USD value due to inflation of the yen.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Never heard of this game but after checking YouTube I can see it being a good fit for NX. Looks to align more the consensus of what sells on Nintendo consoles more than say Zombi U etc.

Good news of true.

It's not about that. It's about shoring up the margins, like Bayonetta 2 or earlier for-the-fans projects like Sin and Punishment 2. It breeds goodwill, definitely convinces a nonzero number of people to buy the console, and provides more unique games to Nintendo consoles that don't have an impact individually, but do have an impact together.

"Shoring up the margins" isn't much of a strategy when commercially marginal games are all you have to offer the target demographic.

I suggest people who are happy about this just stop paying attention to the negative nancies because then the whole thing turns into a stupid argument about what fanboys are the worst, etc.

Anyone besides Destructoid comment on the validity of this? I so want this game to happen.

25 pages filled with people trying to convince fans why this would be a bad thing. I really hope Nintendo pulls something amazing out of their hat with the NX because seeing them as the industry's whipping boy is getting tiresome.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I suggest people who are happy about this just stop paying attention to the negative nancies because then the whole thing turns into a stupid argument about what fanboys are the worst, etc.

Anyone besides Destructoid comment on the validity of this? I so want this game to happen.

Nope.
So I doubt its validity

sense

nintendo fleshes out their lineup, and ubisoft gets money to get a game in development hell done and out the door with the potential of making money back.

and potentially releasing on other systems down the line like zombi u and rayman

I thought the big argument against Bayonetta 2 was that Bayo 1 was never on Nintendo systems, so there was no chance of fan crossover.

Isn't that explicitly not true with BG&E?

udivision

I thought the big argument against Bayonetta 2 was that Bayo 1 was never on Nintendo systems, so there was no chance of fan crossover.

Maybe that was the big, convenient argument, but the real issue was that it ended up locked on the undesirable Wii U.

I think the new argument will be that Ubisoft is rich, and that it was originally not even planned for a Nintendo console but Sony and Microsoft

Ogodei

"Shoring up the margins" isn't much of a strategy when commercially marginal games are all you have to offer the target demographic.

It's better than nothing, though, and it helps build the idea that you can get an NX and get more than just Nintendo games, which is how you build up the sales of "voluntary" third party games and that's how you recover.

The problem Nintendo faces is dearth of software, which is caused by split resources and poor third party relations. The NX ameliorates split resources, and cross-compatibility could help on third party relations by getting the Japanese handheld games on consoles in the West where they'll likely get better exposure. Western third party support is the tough nut to crack, and i think we've gone over why the whole "meet Sony and Microsoft head-on" strategy is very risky: imagine the humiliation and lost money of doing something like getting a promotional deal for Far Cry 5 and still getting badly outsold by the PS4 and X1 versions.

Much of the PS4's success shows that aside from having the right hardware environment, success is about the perception, and bringing back fan-favorite games creates good perception and gets people noticing the platform. Then you entice back western third parties, slowly, starting with the essentials like Madden and CoD, and moving up to more ambitious stuff.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think the new argument will be that Ubisoft is rich, and that it was originally not even planned for a Nintendo console but Sony and Microsoft
In a perfect world Ubisoft would fund this game themselves instead of another collectathon open world Tom Clancy's Assassin's Cry because they value portfolio diversity as much as a first-party.

This is nice to hear, but I can't imagine it will mean too much unless the NX manages to accrue a relatively sizeable install base by the time the game launches.

It's not like BG&E is a huge IP or anything.

Cuburt

It would help rebuild the bridge between Nintendo and Ubi that seemed to have been burned before Rayman Legends even released, especially since Michel Ancel is involved in both and has been a supporter of Nintendo.

It would be a huge get for Nintendo regardless of sales and the fact that they have funded so many games in a similar state of limbo, it's a way for Nintendo to get support that is as much about good will as it is about getting content, which is something people always get on Nintendo about with 3rd parties especially. Besides, it's probably better for Nintendo to throw money at development for exclusivity on a prestige title that is risky and may not sell than it is to throw money at publishers for the hopes that they might throw them a minimal effort multiplatform port bone that may not sell. The publisher would already be ready to write off development as a loss in the former and it's risk they don't have to take as well as money they could potentially make, whereas the latter they will make money off other platforms regardless of how it performs on Nintendo's platform. The first scenario is probably more beneficial for both parties in the long run and builds a better relationship as well.

yurinka

Whether or not that tactic worked for them once before, they still need to fund exclusive third party games for their console. It's not exactly something Nintendo invented with Bayo2.

-Dead Rising 3
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Street Fighter 3
-etc

Console holders fund exclusives. It's just that Nintendo is only able to pick the more nichey ones.
Dead Rising, Tomb Raider and Street Fighter were big, successful IPs in sales before. Made sense to make an important investment there.

Bayonetta and Beyond Good and Evil had bad sales, like Bayonetta 2. If Beyong Good & Evil 2 wasn't released while ago was for something. And not because Ubisoft needed money from someone else to make it.

And his main creator has one feet outside Ubisoft, making a game with his own company. This rumor doesn't make sense at all. If true, Nintendo must be really desperate looking for someone to make a game for them at all costs, even considering it won't sell.

Morts

And his main creator has one feet outside Ubisoft, making a game with his own company. This rumor doesn't make sense at all. If true, Nintendo must be really desperate looking for someone to make a game for them at all costs, even considering it won't sell.

I'm not saying I believe it, but Ancel's situation makes this rumor more likely. BG&E2 won't happen unless someone outside of Ubisoft pays for it.

It's better than nothing, though, and it helps build the idea that you can get an NX and get more than just Nintendo games, which is how you build up the sales of "voluntary" third party games and that's how you recover.

The problem Nintendo faces is dearth of software, which is caused by split resources and poor third party relations. The NX ameliorates split resources, and cross-compatibility could help on third party relations by getting the Japanese handheld games on consoles in the West where they'll likely get better exposure. Western third party support is the tough nut to crack, and i think we've gone over why the whole "meet Sony and Microsoft head-on" strategy is very risky: imagine the humiliation and lost money of doing something like getting a promotional deal for Far Cry 5 and still getting badly outsold by the PS4 and X1 versions.

Much of the PS4's success shows that aside from having the right hardware environment, success is about the perception, and bringing back fan-favorite games creates good perception and gets people noticing the platform. Then you entice back western third parties, slowly, starting with the essentials like Madden and CoD, and moving up to more ambitious stuff.

In a strictly financial sense, I'd say an expensive project that has no chance of moving hardware in significant quantities or meaningfully changing the platform's demographics is quite a bit worse than nothing.

I do think that winning back Western third parties is a completely hopeless goal at this point and they shouldn't even bother trying, but if they feel they have to, there are better projects they could blow an eight-figure budget on.

It would help rebuild the bridge between Nintendo and Ubi that seemed to have been burned before Rayman Legends even released, especially since Michel Ancel is involved in both and has been a supporter of Nintendo.

It would be a huge get for Nintendo regardless of sales and the fact that they have funded so many games in a similar state of limbo, it's a way for Nintendo to get support that is as much about good will as it is about getting content, which is something people always get on Nintendo about with 3rd parties especially. Besides, it's probably better for Nintendo to throw money at development for exclusivity on a prestige title that is risky and may not sell than it is to throw money at publishers for the hopes that they might throw them a minimal effort multiplatform port bone that may not sell. The publisher would already be ready to write off development as a loss in the former and it's risk they don't have to take as well as money they could potentially make, whereas the latter they will make money off other platforms regardless of how it performs on Nintendo's platform. The first scenario is probably more beneficial for both parties in the long run and builds a better relationship as well.

It would do nothing for the bridge. Ubi will be more than happy to reap the benefits of titles being financed by Nintendo but the only thing that would change the way Ubi or 3rd parties in general deal with the big N is if their games are a success.

Top Bottom