• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Rumor: Beyond Good&Evil 2 funded by Nintendo for NX

Evershade

Member
Apr 27, 2011
232
0
0
UK
Jul 29, 2013
2,274
0
0
I was listening to the DestrUKtoid podcast last night and they said that Ubisoft wanted the article removed.

To me, this makes it more likely that it is going to happen.
Heh, if Ubi wanted to have that rumor die, best thing they could have done ... is nothing.

The rumor would have died off by time/itself. Now they probably gave it more attention.
 

georly

Member
Apr 23, 2013
14,066
0
410
This might actually be real?
Not necessarily.
Interesting..... What possible reason could they have for that?
One possibility is that they don't want to get fans hopes up for something that might not happen. It's bad PR to have something leak that isn't true, get people hyped up for it, and then have them all really disappointed when it turns out to be made up. It makes people MORE disappointed in ubi when a long awaited game turns out to not be as close as people had hoped. Imagine if someone leaked that sony was helping fund Shenmue III or FF7 Remake and it was going to be at E3 last year and then it was a no-show. People would be really upset that their hopes were raised and irrationally blame people who weren't responsible.
 
Nov 26, 2006
24,196
2
0
goldmetalsonic.wordpress.com
Yeah if it's fake then it'd be immediately debunked by the announcement itself, false rumors happen all the time.

Being true would be damaging as it'd be spoiling the announcement before Ubisoft wanted to be known (say at E3), so then wanting it to be taken down to me is much more leaning towards it being true.
 

HGH

Banned
Aug 6, 2014
1,196
0
0
Or, maybe they're not releasing it on NX, and they don't want to face backlash created from false news and rumors giving people the wrong impression.
 

Mr Swine

Banned
Nov 30, 2011
9,772
0
0
Sweden
Or, maybe they're not releasing it on NX, and they don't want to face backlash created from false news and rumors giving people the wrong impression.
Could be, I can totally see Sony fund this game like they did with SFV. It's more likely with a huge install base than Nintendo doing it
 

Neoxon

Junior Member
Jul 28, 2013
52,548
0
0
Could be, I can totally see Sony fund this game like they did with SFV. It's more likely with a huge install base than Nintendo doing it
But with Street Fighter V, the main reason why Sony funded it was to have a game in the eSports circuit that's (console) exclusive to the PS4. I'm not sure what Sony would have to gain from funding Beyond Good & Evil 2. It's not like Sony's short on goodwill.
 

LuigiBlood

Member
Oct 26, 2014
286
4
270
France
derpg.xyz
Ubisoft shouldn't have reacted at all to this rumor. Now solely by their fault, they're giving much more attention to it. It would have been forgotten until the moment comes.
 

Shredderi

Member
Feb 24, 2013
9,323
0
450
Ubisoft shouldn't have reacted at all to this rumor. Now solely by their fault, they're giving much more attention to it. It would have been forgotten until the moment comes.
Exactly. Bethesda's "we don't comment on rumors" is really effective compared to this.
 

TheDinoman

Member
Aug 7, 2015
5,991
1
300
Yeah, if you're a company and a big rumor comes out about one of your products, reacting to it by trying to blacklist the whole thing usually means that yeah, the rumor is real and you're just making it more obvious, lol.
 

TimmiT

Member
Oct 18, 2009
5,438
0
0
www.sonicretro.org
I was listening to the DestrUKtoid podcast last night and they said that Ubisoft wanted the article removed.

To me, this makes it more likely that it is going to happen.

EDIT: The relevant section of the DestrUKtoid podcast starts around 6 minutes in.
http://destructoiduk.libsyn.com/destruktoid-37-jane-jokes-jingle
There are reasons why Ubisoft would want a popular fake rumor like this being taken down, it can still be hurtful for the company. Like, if the game exists, people thinking that it's exclusive to NX when it really isn't could hurt sales.

Still, considering how Michel acted in that Devs Play video, really seems like the game is being made anyway.
 

Candescence

Member
Oct 3, 2013
2,901
0
0
If they wanted to have the rumor die, they should have just left it alone. Come E3, everyone would have forgotten about it. Now everyone's suspicious and will probably have reason to believe that it might actually be true. Drawing even more attention to it by trying to get rid of it? Not their brightest idea.
 

Escalario

Banned
Sep 3, 2014
2,064
0
0
Ubisoft don't give a Fuck about backlash from Nintendo fans. See Rayman Legends.
I think Ubisoft does care about backlash from Rayman Legends, considering that the loss of exclusivity and the long delay basically killed the game's sales and the series as a whole for another decade or two.
 

Linkhero1

Member
Sep 2, 2006
17,959
0
0
twitter.com
I assume this old rumour has been already posted in the thread, but I can't find it, so here it is:

RUMOUR: Beyond Good & Evil 2 play tested last summer

Frankly, I think it's going to happen, even if only because there have been soooo many rumours and bits of info pertaining BG&E2 (NX or not), that I doubt the game's been definitively scrapped.
I'm inclined to believe that this is the big third party game coming to the NX the Gaffer hinted at in that one thread. It probably wasn't mentioned that it became an exclusive at the time and since is announced for other consoles, the Gaffer probably thought it was a port.
 

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sep 2, 2011
18,552
4
0
Those rumors (the Ancel one, the beta test one)...make me happy because it could actually happen. NX or not.
I have also a PS4, so, the most important thing for a game like that...is to come out.
 

E-phonk

Banned
Jan 1, 2006
5,042
0
0
Belgium
Those rumors (the Ancel one, the beta test one)...make me happy because it could actually happen. NX or not.
I have also a PS4, so, the most important thing for a game like that...is to come out.
Same here, as long as it comes to NX or PS4 i'm happy.
I do think it's a good fit for Nintendo.
 

StickSoldier

Member
Sep 17, 2010
8,087
0
0
30
Lol, I wonder what made Ubi decide to ask them to take it down? Now it seems even more suspicious than before, and leads me to believe that this could actually be true. Honestly, they could have just said something to comment on it, or just ignored it, but to completely ask to remove it? Seems super weird.
 

Golnei

Member
May 12, 2014
10,032
0
345
If it's true, I also find it interesting that Nintendo would consider having a financial investment in the sequel to a cult classic which was never actually released in Japan. Considering how overwhelmingly domestic Nintendo's focus has been up to now, it'd be a marked departure.
 

Pinky

Banned
Mar 11, 2012
4,128
7
0
If this turns out to be true, I wonder if we could see a remaster of the first game as well. Granted, the first one appeared on GC, but that was many years ago. Would be a nice bonus for those who never played the first game.
I've never played BG&E
 

Morts

Member
Oct 6, 2004
4,611
0
0
If this turns out to be true, I wonder if we could see a remaster of the first game as well. Granted, the first one appeared on GC, but that was many years ago. Would be a nice bonus for those who never played the first game.
I've never played BG&E
There was a remaster on PS3/360.