• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Rumor: Beyond Good&Evil 2 funded by Nintendo for NX

BD1

Banned
Remember those rumors that Nintendo was trying to convince third parties to resurrect old IPs on the Wii U, but all those plans were abandoned when Wii U tanked?

Could be they are going back to that well, and BG&E2 is the product of that.

Anyways, E3 gonna be fun...

-Horizon-

I wonder if Ubi should've just not done anything. Responding in any way just makes it seem like a cover up to an actual leak. Though whether the leak is 100% accurate of course remains to be seen. BGE2 could be happening. But it might not be NX exclusive.

Have they ever asked a site to take down a fake rumor before? Or an actual leak? You'd imagine they would know that you can't just ask for something to be taken down.
If it's not real they could provide a comment "we do not want to get fans hopes up since there are inaccuracies in this report" or something

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Have they ever asked a site to take down a fake rumor before? Or an actual leak? You'd imagine they would know that you can't just ask for something to be taken down.
If it's not real they could provide a comment "we do not want to get fans hopes up since there are inaccuracies in this report" or something

leaked Rayman video was taken down, but because it showed just "proof of concept" use of interactive NFC figures (that didn't see the light of the day)

wbEMX

I think Ubisoft does care about backlash from Rayman Legends, considering that the loss of exclusivity and the long delay basically killed the game's sales and the series as a whole for another decade or two.

What the hell are you talking about? Yes, Rayman Legends "underperformed" at launch (we don't know what Ubis expectations were), but it still sold more than Origins did at launch and a year later it was reported that it still sold well and contributed to the company's earnings. Now that does not sound like "killed the series for one or two decades" to me. That's just overly dramatic.

About the topic... now, that Ubi asked DTOID to remove the article things are getting really interesting. Getting hyped for E3. Expecting GAF meltdowns. :D

To solve the situation nicely would be they delaying Watch_dogs on PC/PS360/PS4/XO until Wii U version was ready... oh wait...

yeah, i fully believe that the delay (and them launching it when they did) killed the sales potential of the game. I fully believe if they would have launched it on Wii U when they said they would, and then launched a "collectors edition" later they would have sold more full price copies.

Megatron

I think Ubisoft does care about backlash from Rayman Legends, considering that the loss of exclusivity and the long delay basically killed the game's sales and the series as a whole for another decade or two.

What are you talking about? Killed the game's sales? Dude, it was a wiiu game. It wasn't ever going to have good sales. See bayoneta 2 and the wonderful 101. Maybe they lost a few thousand sales with their decision but those were more than Made up for by all the other versions.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What are you talking about? Killed the game's sales? Dude, it was a wiiu game. It wasn't ever going to have good sales. See bayonets 2 and the wonderful 101. Maybe they lost a few thousand sales with their decision but those were more than Made up for by all the other versions.

If you don't understand the difference between a game like Rayman fresh after launch of Wii U and Bayonetta/W101 for Nintendo audience. please don't discuss about sales potential ever again.

What are you talking about? Killed the game's sales? Dude, it was a wiiu game. It wasn't ever going to have good sales. See bayoneta 2 and the wonderful 101. Maybe they lost a few thousand sales with their decision but those were more than Made up for by all the other versions.

This was only at most, what, 4 months after launch? This was actually one of the games a lot of Wii U early adopters were looking at buying, and was one of the first shoes to drop regarding support falling off a cliff for the system. And Rayman generally does sell better on Nintendo Systems iirc.

ika

yeah, i fully believe that the delay (and them launching it when they did) killed the sales potential of the game. I fully believe if they would have launched it on Wii U when they said they would, and then launched a "collectors edition" later they would have sold more full price copies.
I was planning to buy the game (WD) for Wii U full price (one of the special editions, no less. Had it reserved for more than a year), even when it seemed to be not so great as hyped. Wanted to support this effort for Wii U users. But then they delayed only the Wii U version, my special edition disappeared from Ubisoft store, and well, after that (and the Rayman delay), I said f*** it, cancelled my pre-order and bought a used copy at Game (PS4 version) for 20€.

Ubi will need to do a lot to gain me again as a customer. That kind of second-class-citizens shit some companies does to Nintendo users is part of the problem and it's not something that gamers or Nintendo needs to address, but those publishers instead.

Megatron

If you don't understand the difference between a game like Rayman fresh after launch of Wii U and Bayonetta/W101 for Nintendo audience. please don't discuss about sales potential ever again.
There's no need to be rude. Can you give me any examples of a third party game that sold well on wiiu? The decision was made because ZombiU sold horribly and that was a very good game available at launch. You are just assuming that it somehow would have been different for Rayman than it was for every other third party game.

The_Lump

Banned
Wow. Meltdowns are a-coming!

I imagine, much like Bayo 2, this game would not exist at all without Nintendo funding it. It's not like Nintendo could price MS or Sony out of the market if it was some kind of bidding war.

MrPanic

Oh man, that would be a great launch title if true. I've been a pretty late adopter to the last few Nintendo consoles but if the NX gets a few more titles like this I might be there day 1.

Megatron

This was only at most, what, 4 months after launch? This was actually one of the games a lot of Wii U early adopters were looking at buying, and was one of the first shoes to drop regarding support falling off a cliff for the system. And Rayman generally does sell better on Nintendo Systems iirc.

Yeah, it was supposed to come out between February and April I think before the delay. But remember this was Ubi's second WiiU game. They saw the sales numbers for ZombiU and they saw the sales numbers for the WiiU itself. How many units had it sold by then? A million? Two? The projections for Rayman couldn't have been very good at that point. No question selling it on the other consoles boosted its sales higher than they ever could have been on WiiU alone.

There's no need to be rude. Can you give me any examples of a third party game that sold well on wiiu? The decision was made because ZombiU sold horribly and that was a very good game available at launch. You are just assuming that it somehow would have been different for Rayman than it was for every other third party game.

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed did more on Wii U than PS3 and 360 combined.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163118596&postcount=543

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Sorry, I don't have the patience to explain to you the appeal of a platformer vs. any other genre on a Nintendo platform. Keep bringing those relevant comparison.

check how much Sonic Lost World sold despite being reviewed very poorly

-Horizon-

Yeah, it was supposed to come out between February and April I think before the delay. But remember this was Ubi's second WiiU game. They saw the sales numbers for ZombiU and they saw the sales numbers for the WiiU itself. How man units had it sold by then? A million? Two? The projections for Rayman couldn't have been very good at that point. No question selling it on the other consoles boosted its sales higher than they ever could have been on WiiU alone.

Zombi U and Rayman are targeting like completely different audiences though >.>

ZU (while a great game imo) had some pretty lack luster reviews at launch from most of the first outlets, plus had game breaking bugs that I know kept people from buying it (I know two people that didn't buy it just because of the bugs). Plus its a completely different audience. Rayman is a platformer on a system known to be able to sell platformers (which is why rayman generally performs equal to, if not better on the N's systems, same with the Lego games in general)

slit

The fact that the WiiU version sold the most even after the delay should tell you that had it come in the launch window of the Wii U it would have sold more. Significantly more? Not sure but it still cost them some sales.

Yeah, it was supposed to come out between February and April I think before the delay. But remember this was Ubi's second WiiU game. They saw the sales numbers for ZombiU and they saw the sales numbers for the WiiU itself. How man units had it sold by then? A million? Two? The projections for Rayman couldn't have been very good at that point. No question selling it on the other consoles boosted its sales higher than they ever could have been on WiiU alone.

Wii U sold fine for its first November and December, and the argument that Rayman could have sold better with the "early adopters looking for something new to play" crowd is completely valid. Especially when it did launch it coincided with a couple other high profile games launching (cant remember which ones) and sold pretty bad when it did launch, and didn't start moving numbers until they cut the price.

The fact that the WiiU version sold the most even after the delay should tell you that had it come in the launch window of the Wii U it would have sold more. Significantly more? Not sure but it still cost them some sales.

yep, and the extra money they spent making the other versions probably wasn't justified in the long run given the amount of sales they lost for the wii u version (arguably), and the small amount they did sell at full price on the PS4/XBO

-Horizon-

Wii U sold fine for its first November and December, and the argument that Rayman could have sold better with the "early adopters looking for something new to play" crowd is completely valid. Especially when it did launch it coincided with a couple other high profile games launching (cant remember which ones) and sold pretty bad when it did launch, and didn't start moving numbers until they cut the price.
Didn't Rayman launch around the time GTAV did? I'd have to imagine any other games marketing during that time would've just been swallowed up whole by GTA.

Megatron

Sorry, I don't have the patience to explain to you the appeal of a platformer vs. any other genre on a Nintendo platform. Keep bringing those relevant comparison.

Then....don't click 'reply'?

Do we have hard numbers for Sonic or Rayman? Those would be interesting to see. I didn't realize lost world sold well.

Arion

Wow. Meltdowns are a-coming!

I imagine, much like Bayo 2, this game would not exist at all without Nintendo funding it. It's not like Nintendo could price MS or Sony out of the market if it was some kind of bidding war.

Meltdowns already happening in this thread.

_PsiFire_

I thought ZombiU was great but that example is extremely flawed.
Show me 10 reviews for the game from major publications only and you'll see why it had a lackluster reception.

Also show me some other original games that came out for the WiiU? Are any of them original or exclusive from 3rd parties...not funded by Nintendo?

Were any of them not 4 month to year old ports?

Some of these year old ports even had trilogies come out mere months later on other systems for the same price as the single ported game on the WiiU.

While sales never would have been huge that early on in the WiiU lifecycle, no developer tried.

Roo

Rayman Legends was one of the most wanted third party games by Nintendo fans back then.
Plus, it was going to be released on February (first delay) which, irrc, it was a really slow month that year leaving the game with basically no competition.

Then they fucked up big time with the second delay and well.. we know the rest.

phanphare

Banned
Rayman Legends was one of the most wanted third party games by Nintendo fans back then.
Plus, it was going to be released on February (first delay) which, irrc, it was a really slow month that year leaving the game with basically no competition.

Then they fucked up big time with the second delay and well.. we know the rest.

yep I was day 1 when it was supposed to launch in February. then they delayed it 2 weeks before it was supposed to come out and I never did end up buying it. it was a dumb move by Ubi. on a console that appeals to platformer fans they waited until there was more and better competition to release their game. by the time Rayman actually came out I was staring down 3D World and Tropical Freeze.

I'm inclined to believe that this is the big third party game coming to the NX the Gaffer hinted at in that one thread. It probably wasn't mentioned that it became an exclusive at the time and since is announced for other consoles, the Gaffer probably thought it was a port.

Can I get a link please?

E-phonk

Banned
I thought that was a big third party based game with a big MP component under nda of course. I'm going with a definitive Call of Duty Black Ops III.
Idd - that was also someone beta testing a multiplatform game. So that doesn't go with the rumor of this releasing 2017.

Lime

At worst, it'll be a timed exclusive. Ubisoft is too focused on releasing to as many platforms as possible.

-Horizon-

At worst, it'll be a timed exclusive. Ubisoft is too focused on releasing to as many platforms as possible.
It's definitely true that ubi would try to put their games on as many systems as they can but I say it depends on how deep in limbo this game was before nintendo had to step in.
If this rumor is even true of course. Might turn out nintendo wasn't even involved and that this is going multiplatform.

Doctre81

LOL this is pretty much confirmed now. No way they would ask for it to be pulled if it wasn't true. Rumor hadn't even gotten that much steam yet.

Lime

It's definitely true that ubi would try to put their games on as many systems as they can but I say it depends on how deep in limbo this game was before nintendo had to step in.
If this rumor is even true of course. Might turn out nintendo wasn't even involved and that this is going multiplatform.

If it is the case that this'll be a Nintendo exclusive for all eternity, I assume Nintendo would have had to throw lots of money at the project to cover the potential ROI that another game would have potentially made by the same workforce.

Since this is Ubisoft, I don't think they'll just allocate part of their workforce to an always exclusive game for an unannounced console (unless Nintendo really went crazy with spending, which seems unlikely).

I really, REALLY need to get around to finishing Beyond Good and Evil 1 before I even start getting excited about a sequel, haha.

But by the time I do finish it the wait for the sequel will be hardly any time at all! :D

Doesn't have the patience to explain a simple concept to someone, but has plenty of time to berate that person.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
If this rumor was false and Ubisoft wanted it gone, I feel like they would have/should have made a public denial rather than a behind-the-scenes "Take this down."

I'm inclined to believe that this is the big third party game coming to the NX the Gaffer hinted at in that one thread. It probably wasn't mentioned that it became an exclusive at the time and since is announced for other consoles, the Gaffer probably thought it was a port.

I doubt it's that game, since I believe that person played the game on another system or PC and if this is exclusive, I don't they'd be doing a beta test on a system it's not releasing for. The only way I see this working is if the game is an NX console exclusive and it's releasing for PC. Also, if the game is releasing in 2017, I feel like early 2016 (or earlier?) would be too early for a beta, especially for a system whose devkits might still be changing, but I don't know enough about development to really know.

Vena

If it is the case that this'll be a Nintendo exclusive for all eternity, I assume Nintendo would have had to throw lots of money at the project to cover the potential ROI that another game would have potentially made by the same workforce.

Since this is Ubisoft, I don't think they'll just allocate part of their workforce to an always exclusive game for an unannounced console (unless Nintendo really went crazy with spending, which seems unlikely).

This project was seemingly greenlit to keep Ancel at Ubisoft without letting him run off ocmpletely to his other studio. If it then entered development hell or ran out of funding or whatever, then someone coming into to bail it out wouldn't cost the ROI of another project. It would cost whatever else is needed in funding + the potential lost sales of multiplatform vs. deals offered for marketing or whatever. The reason to potentially suspect Nintendo being that (a.) they do this not infrequently, (b.) its a zelda-like, and (c.) we're not exactly seeing the funding of super-niche titles by the other two (we're seeing them promote kickstarters instead, or just funding big brands).

This being a niche title, doesn't have much of a "lost sales" potential. Bayonetta 2 was a half-finished project in a similar state of frozen development, and Nintendo likely picked it up fairly "cheap" as part of the larger deal for Sonic and whatever else. Bayonetta then, it so happened, got roped into the larger Nintendo sphere thanks to fans and Smash. They probably got their money's worth and more from that deal, on both ends, even if the title ultimately performed... like a Bayonetta title.

Ogodei

They're just mad that someone else is doing the leaking.

They probably got their money's worth and more from that deal, on both ends, even if the title ultimately performed... like a Bayonetta title.

That's funny to think about. Bayonetta's sales as DLC probably cancelled out any money Nintendo lost on B2.

phanphare

Banned
I was listening to the DestrUKtoid podcast last night and they said that Ubisoft wanted the article removed.

To me, this makes it more likely that it is going to happen.

EDIT: The relevant section of the DestrUKtoid podcast starts around 6 minutes in.
http://destructoiduk.libsyn.com/destruktoid-37-jane-jokes-jingle

giphy.gif

Top Bottom