• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit Public Schools hit with lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
More at the link

CYe0OzbUwAAkLV6.jpg

Can I put these on my pizza?

According to this website:

https://ballotpedia.org/Analysis_of...est_school_districts#School_district_spending

Detroit spends 18,361 bucks per student, which is pretty high compared to most other districts. So where exactly is the money going?

Public school spending is all public record:

https://www.mackinac.org/depts/epi/fiscal.aspx
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/b1014_14_481982_7.pdf

I could get more detailed information if I remembered my database login.

Condom

See? Public education is a disaster, we need to privatize ALL education and let the free market do it's thing. /s

Public school spending is all public record:

https://www.mackinac.org/depts/epi/fiscal.aspx
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/b1014_14_481982_7.pdf

I could get more detailed information if I remembered my database login.

Thanks for the link. I'm hardly an expert but nothing seems to stand out as being particularly egregious in terms of poorly though out spending.

Expenditures: Facilities Acquisition and Construction Services: Non-Property Expenditures (Construction) Total 4,914,191.05 Per student: 110.02

Seems the most important in terms of dilapidated buildings and it seems higher than most (though a lot are at zero which makes me wonder if there's no data available for a lot of smaller school districts about this).

Aylinato

According to this website:

https://ballotpedia.org/Analysis_of...est_school_districts#School_district_spending

Detroit spends 18,361 bucks per student, which is pretty high compared to most other districts. So where exactly is the money going?

It mostly goes to spending on kids with autism and behavioral issues since they can't refuse those kids educations while the charter "schools" can refuse them.

Charter schools also play a huge part in this as well.

It's also worth noting Detroit public schools have a higher college acceptance rate/graduation rate then the charter schools in the city, it's not coincidence either.

Probably not a good idea, dude.

I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure it's all available under the state's freedom of information act. Exceptions are like personal information that is deemed an invasion of privacy. I've just never cared to look at it myself because I'm only concerned with technology spending within my districts.

Thanks for the link. I'm hardly an expert but nothing seems to stand out as being particularly egregious in terms of poorly though out spending.

Seems the most important in terms of dilapidated buildings and it seems higher than most (though a lot are at zero which makes me wonder if there's no data available for a lot of smaller school districts about this).

If the Detroit schools operate like mine then there is absolutely no money in the yearly budget to account for fixing up the buildings beyond regular janitorial staff. As I said earlier in the thread, one of our buildings we had to shut down because we couldn't afford to remove the lead and asbestos from the building. The only chance we have of finding the funding is to apply for grants, which means hiring an extra person to manage the grants or pay an outside firm to manage it for us. Schools are in a crappy situation.

Zoe

I'd have to double check but I'm pretty sure it's all available under the state's freedom of information act. Exceptions are like personal information that is deemed an invasion of privacy. I've just never cared to look at it myself because I'm only concerned with technology spending within my districts.

Just because it's eligible doesn't mean there aren't procedures that should be followed.

Bessy67

Meanwhile my local school district in Wisconsin is about to spend 2.8 million dollars to replace their 3 year old ipads that every student gets. Seems like there should be some better way of allocating funds based on need.

watershed

Banned
If anyone is interested in learning more about this, read Jonathan Kozol's Shame of the Nation which is all about school funding, modern segregation, and more.

Red Devil

Shit, that last picture is stuff you see in third world countries.

This should be unacceptable.

I went to a crappy public elementary school in what's considered a third world country in a quite bad time for public schools and yet I've never seen anything like that.

Magwik

Banned
No it's not. Oakland, Washtenaw, Livingston, Macomb are all perfectly good counties. Including most of the state. Just a couple cities that are fucked.
And by a couple of cities you just mean Detroit, metro Detroit, and Flint/metro Flint. It is all beyond fucked though. Snyder has only made things constantly worse for the state and cities.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And by a couple of cities you just mean Detroit, metro Detroit, and Flint/metro Flint. It is all beyond fucked though. Snyder has only made things constantly worse for the state and cities.

Plus, the vast majority of the state north of Lansing is Tea Party nutballs.

Which is part of the problem, too, since Metro Detroit and Flint account for almost half the state's population. So when they're suffering, it drags the entire state down.

Magwik

Banned
Which is part of the problem, too, since Metro Detroit and Flint account for almost half the state's population. So when they're suffering, it drags the entire state down.
Which really puts to emphasis how no progress has been made in years to really pull things together.

Do you work at MDE and/or CEPI? I used to update the Snyder dashboards back in the day. I'm so thankful I didn't have the tech or subject matter knowledge to have to get involved in the CEPI/MDE data

I work IT in several Michigan public schools. One of those school's tech director works closely with CEPI though.

Plus, the vast majority of the state north of Lansing is Tea Party nutballs.

The boonies around Lansing are Tea Party or Republican country too. I work and live in them and every day I drive by several homes flying confederate flags or have trump posters in their lawns. That's right, the rebel flag in Michigan.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This is pretty ignorant. Metro Detroit is fucked? Cmon.

Detroit is slowly unfucking itself. Flint is basically Pripyat after Chernobyl, admittedly. Saginaw is rough but only in certain parts. Benton Harbor is rough on the west side of the state. But saying the entire state is ruined and beyond repair is just stupid.

TheJLC

Knock down the old buildings and build new ones. It is cheaper. Shame they got this dilapidated in the first place.

Bullet holes in schools... how... what the fuck is wrong over there that someone would think it's acceptable to bring a gun anywhere near a school?

On topic, isn't Michigan bankrupt? Can they even afford to fix these things?

I wonder if someone can get FEMA to declare it an emergency and free up some funding that way?

Bullet holes in schools... how... what the fuck is wrong over there that someone would think it's acceptable to bring a gun anywhere near a school?

On topic, isn't Michigan bankrupt? Can they even afford to fix these things?

I wonder if someone can get FEMA to declare it an emergency and free up some funding that way?

The state isn't but Detroit filed for bankruptcy two or three years ago. Detroit's population is nearly third of what it was during its population peak in the 50s. White flight coupled with the economic devastation caused by all the loss of auto industry jobs leaving played a primary roll in that, leaving the poor to remain in the city who couldn't afford to get out and in turn unable to afford to pay their taxes played a large part in it. Not to mention Detroit's crime problems since the 70s.

Honestly they might as well bulldoze a huge portions of Detroit that have been abandoned and just plant trees, gardens and so on and just give it back to nature, it's already taking it over anyway.

Foffy

Banned
I think the mushrooms look fucking cool, personally.

But then I am reminded that they ideally grow in soil, not on the inner premises of fucking school walls.

kess

Detroit stays poor, its schools will get shittier; no one in the suburbs wants to take funding away from the rich districts because their children deserve the best. Rinse and repeat.

CYx7SCkWcAAHk4y.jpg

This is clearly part of Detroit's prestigious gymnast program. Their exclusive training-staircase. It all adds up: The mats for landing, the rail for vaulting...wait why is there actually a handrail dividing the staircase that's weird.

Also whoever said The Last of Us had cleaner environments wasn't exaggerating...

WTF is this, Mirror's Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom