• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex 3 realtime screenshots revealed

Gribbix

Odrion said:
So, do we know what engine this game uses? Doesn't look like Unreal 3.
It's using a "heavily-modified" version of CDC, a proprietary engine created by Crystal Dynamics that was first used for Tomb Raider Underworld.

Twig said:
I just know I like it, and if it changes, there's potential for me to hate. And if I more than like - possibly love - then any change will not be what I want.

This might be because most of the game series I consider myself a "big fan of" have reinvented themselves tons of times (and a lot of the ones I'm sick of haven't reinvented themselves enough) but I tend to be pretty positive about the idea that change can be a good thing, even if it's change from a good starting template.

For me, the awesome in Deus Ex has to do with the world, the interactions, the storyline, and the level of choices in building your character -- I'm much more interested in a game trying to capture the essence of these things than I am in seeing more games emulate the precise formula used in the original game.

Would I like to see more games attempt a blend of FPS perspective and mechanics with deep RPG gameplay? Absolutely! Do I think there's a tendency to underbake the RPG parts when those elements are used together? Definitely. (That was certainly an issue I had with ME2.) But my attachment to certain trappings of the RPG (like a consumable inventory) in these games are pretty low.

And to that end, the negativity is completely understandable.

I'm not surprised at negativity at all, although I see a big gap between well-justified negativity (you, dygiT, jim-jam bongs, etc.) and hyperbolic negativity like trying to take a single quote from an interview as PROOF POSITIVE that the game is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE (or saying the screens look completely terrible, which is kind of a WTF for me.) I'm actually pretty glad there are people taking a pretty skeptical look at what's been presented and arguing supported positions about why those decisions might be problematic; I don't think it'd be good at all for this game to launch to purely positive expectations.

And I do know I hate regenerating health.

Fair. :lol

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Nachkebia said:
Btw have you noticed how games and movies are either totally orange or totally blue recently? In cinematography I understand, its all about digital but why are games fallowing the trend?

Because their art directors want to be 'more cinematic', which currently means aping excessive colour grading. Play older cyberpunk games and they'll be a riot of garish colours, like the films and art they were drawing from.

Anyway, I'm sure only this hub will be sodium yellow (or sodium green in the subways!), and the others will be a little more varied.

This game does look really really good. I assumed that the reason they were pushing the CG trailers was because they thought the realtime stuff wasn't good enough but I was mistaken.

Cep

Banned
Odrion said:
So, do we know what engine this game uses? Doesn't look like Unreal 3.

It is not, though I am not sure how to feel about that.

UE3 works really well on lower end computers so that would have been nice.

On the other hand, it makes shit look fugly...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cep said:

The Tomb Raider Underworld engine was incredibly well optimized. Don't lose hope.

Mr_Zombie

Stallion Free said:
The Tomb Raider Underworld engine was incredibly well optimized. Don't lose hope.

Yep, I have a rather non-gaming notebook (Radeon 3200HD v_v) and I still was able to play the game :D

TheYanger

Linkzg said:
about the whole orange thing, this shot of the subway shows how it isn't all that orange

it does come off a bit too strong in other screenshots but surprisingly it doesn't bother me and I usually hate this stuff. I think it's because it comes off more as an aesthetic choice rather than just dull piss color everywhere. I would be more upset if they threw on a grain filter or heavy edge fade.

What? That screenshot fits the mold of orange/blue to a tee. It doesn't mean orange has to be the dominant color, in this case the blue tones are and the orange compliments it. It's silly.

And for whoever complained that it doesn't have to be dark...it's Deus Ex, need we forget the ENTIRE game took place at night, and that your default augmentation is going to be a flashlight in your eyes again.

TheYanger said:
What? That screenshot fits the mold of orange/blue to a tee. It doesn't mean orange has to be the dominant color, in this case the blue tones are and the orange compliments it. It's silly.

And for whoever complained that it doesn't have to be dark...it's Deus Ex, need we forget the ENTIRE game took place at night, and that your default augmentation is going to be a flashlight in your eyes again.

I dunno, should I have bolder and underlined "that" a bit more? I meant to say compared to the other screens, the subway picture is considerably less "orange".

Linkzg said:
about the whole orange thing, this shot of the subway shows how it isn't all that orange

it does come off a bit too strong in other screenshots but surprisingly it doesn't bother me and I usually hate this stuff. I think it's because it comes off more as an aesthetic choice rather than just dull piss color everywhere. I would be more upset if they threw on a grain filter or heavy edge fade.

WOW. Didn't see that shot earlier. I can't wait for E3.

Glix

Nachkebia said:
Btw have you noticed how games and movies are either totally orange or totally blue recently? In cinematography I understand, its all about digital but why are games fallowing the trend?

Maybe everyone is finally realizing what I did a long long time ago...

Mets, Knicks and Isles fucking RULE!

OT - This looks interesting, unfortunately I have only dabbled in DX, I'm much more interested in finding the time to play the original, then playing this one.

Cep said:

If you want UE3 for the sole reason of being able to play it on a low-end computer than just get the console version. What stupid logic.

RyuHayate

Between the newly released trailer and the screens posted IIT I can't help but be excited for this game!

Never played the first or second game in the series but just bought the former off of Steam.

Also, S-E would be crazy not to commission Play Arts to develop an Adam Jensen figure.

procrastinator

Neo Member
Cep said:

The Underworld engine works pretty damned well on lowend computers as well. I guess it will really depend how much they change/mod it.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Not sure how I feel about these screens.

But then again, I haven't played the first 2 games. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's a really bad thing.
I haven't played the second game, but the first game is brilliant. Anyone interested in video games should play it.

Ignignort

Looks fantastic, it's coming out at a very good time aswell. Hardware prices are very low and you can get great hardware for such a small cost.

Haven't read through all the posts but DX11 support?
Game would have to be at least DX10, would make the atmosphere so much better

UrbanRats

Apparently Crystal Dynamics has been reading GAF lately, and realesed new screens to make everyone happy:
DeX3.jpg

dex3-2.jpg

dex-3-4.jpg

dex-3-3.jpg

There's also a new logo:
logo_9.jpg

Flashy!

I should be doing hw said:
I don't get the hate over the recent "Orange and Teal" trend in Hollywood. So what if they are using a simple colour palette? It still looks good.
Most of the people here don't play video games. They just complain about screenshots and discuss game sales.

Ignignort said:
Looks fantastic, it's coming out at a very good time aswell. Hardware prices are very low and you can get great hardware for such a small cost.

Haven't read through all the posts but DX11 support?
Game would have to be at least DX10, would make the atmosphere so much better

How so ?

Purkake4

Banned
UrbanRats said:
Apparently Crystal Dynamics has been reading GAF lately, and realesed new screens to make everyone happy:
Yes, those ignorant barbarians not understanding great artistic choice of washed out gray-brown.

sn00zer

Gribbix said:
It's using a "heavily-modified" version of CDC, a proprietary engine created by Crystal Dynamics that was first used for Tomb Raider Underworld.
Oooo TRU looked and ran really well so this has me excited.
Most of the people here don't play video games. They just complain about screenshots and discuss game sales.
Quoted for truth...hey anyone want to make a thread on gamer's who feel like they are the only one who have played a game and only they know how a sequal should look and feel and if its not EXACTLY they way they think it should be they bitch and moan but put IMO at the end of everything to cover there ass.../rant

GONz

UrbanRats said:
*pics*

Flashy!
:lol :lol :lol Reminds me of the Diablo 3 unicorn

jaundicejuice said:
So what's Eidos' recent history with PC games and DRM?
a few square games have been steam only. last remnant, order of war, supreme commander 2. just cause 2 was the first and only eidos title so far to be steam only I think. no idiocy apart from this

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Joseph Merrick said:
a few square games have been steam only. last remnant, order of war, supreme commander 2. just cause 2 was the first and only eidos title so far to be steam only I think. no idiocy apart from this

I really hope Square doesn't have the final say in DRM because I hate steamworks. :(

Top Bottom