• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex 3 realtime screenshots revealed

Odrion

Banned
Jangaroo said:
I actually liked the gimmick. It was awesome to see your character snapping his finger or arm back in place. Never got old for me.
Isn't there one where he twists his arm to the point where the bullet pusses out of his wound? Maybe it's his leg.

Man, love the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nemesis121 said:
The last Deux, was what? 03? or 04? it's 6-7 years since, wonder what they can do to keep it original, and fresh....

Make it like DE1? There have been like maybe 3-4 games total with that sort of similar style to them, and even then its more of a "feel" then an actual evolution of what Deus Ex did.

1-D_FTW

HK-47 said:
But TF2 has respawning enemies!

Yeah. But when mods aren't running half-assed plugins, Valve has a pretty elegant system. All games should emulate this. It's an acceptable middle ground between one-and-done and mindless meat grinder spawning.

charsace

Jangaroo said:
It's a little hard to see, but the player's health is down there on the left hand corner. You'll see that the health bar is segmented into five blocks. When you're in a firefight and take damage, as long as your health doesn't go past a block, then the game will recover that block of health. If your damage does go past a block, then it won't recover on it's own and the only way to correct that would be to use a med-kit. The regen. health isn't a crutch because you can't heal all of your health, so it was a good balance between having to scrounge around for med-kits and conserving them as well as having the game reward you by healing some of your damage at the end of a fight.
Variation of the Halo 1 health system?

syllogism said:
He is definitely right

yeah but "set pieces" just brings across all the bad overly scripted WAO SHINEY shallow crap that we've been forcefed this gen as "gameplay" emotions, rather than "deus ex 1 coulda used a little pop here and there".

i blame bromantic shooters for that.

Not really excited to be honest. The art is a mess, they can't decide whether to rip off Bladerunner, Ghost in the Shell or Dangerous Liaisons for their predominate look, so instead they've just ripped them all off, thrown them in a blender and then added four parts donkey piss for colour.

And that interview has so many red flags in it my eyes went crossed. The way he describes skills affecting gameplay sounds much more like Invisible War than Deus Ex, where the choices the player was left with in dealing with a situation were just a series of differently shaped cookie-cutters rather than genuine, emergent decisions.

I want to be excited too... hopefully someone I trust like RPS will get their hands on it and tell us what's what.

Sometimes it seems like games like Deus Ex, and X:Com ufo defense happened by accident. And not even their creators knew how to do it again. :lol

Guh, just noticed this.

As for missions, there is always more than one way to get to the location you need to go. You can try through the main door, but some obstacles might make it challenging for you, so you might decide to look for other ways such as hacking a back door, reaching a roof access, etc. You need to remember that, depending on your play style, the obvious path is not always the best. The different points of access are not always immediately available to all depending on the augmentations you have or not.

I know it doesn't really... mean anything... but I swear to god I'm having flashbacks to (I think) an OXM interview for IW that said the exact same thing.

Anything to do with IW makes me uneasy. That game was shite.

bhlaab

ZombieSupaStar said:
Sometimes it seems like games like Deus Ex, and X:Com ufo defense happened by accident. And not even their creators knew how to do it again. :lol

Well maybe if the creators were in any way involved they might happen again!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Odrion said:
I love how Hideo inspired the visuals are, from the robots to the interior of that news room.

It needs to be copied more until it becomes a style of it's own, it's one of the few futuristic designs that don't look like Aliensque trash or generic ipod utopia.

Really? Its fucking Blade Runner + GitS, a style that is hardly underused...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
Really? Its fucking Blade Runner, a style that is hardly underused...
Obviously Kojima-sama is the inventor of all things he does as he is the world's One True Visionary™.

:bow Kojima-sama :bow

DennisK4 said:
Oh.My.God - how is it possible to put so much wrong into one post.

People like you are the reason something like Invisible War gets made.

And people like you are the reason why most games are targeted towards the mainstream. The nitpicky, impossible to please forum dweller that will cry, moan, bitch, and complain when he notices even the slightest hint that a developer is "dumbing down" or "consolizing" a game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
UrbanRats said:
No matter how good the game will be, i think, at some level it will get bashed, based on the fact that is not as good as DEx1.
If its name was just "Human Revolution", being an unrelated cyberpunk game, it would have been much easier for it to get praised, i think.

True.

raphier

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
And people like you are the reason why most games are targeted towards the mainstream. The nitpicky, impossible to please forum dweller that will cry, moan, bitch, and complain when he notices even the slightest hint that a developer is "dumbing down" or "consolizing" a game.
that's quite stupid argument. The reason behind why most games are targeted towards mainstream is the shear number of them and simpler games appeal them. Everyone knows that.

Pinko Marx said:

You seem to be struggling so I'll help you out; my favourite games aren't targeted at anyone, because they're made by developers and not marketing departments.

Alex

ILikeFeet said:
from the way most members are complaining, it sounds like they just want Deus Ex 1 in a new 2010 box. :lol

I would take that!

I will not take Invisible War 2 though.

I'm holding out some hope, it *looks* really nice thus far, and I'm not as nit picky in most areas as some folks are. I loved Deus Ex, but I don't mind some retooling and tweaks and updating as long as it still results in a deep, engaging game in the end and not a corridor shooter.

jim-jam bongs said:
You seem to be struggling so I'll help you out; my favourite games aren't targeted at anyone, because they're made by developers and not marketing departments.

What a coincidence! So are mine.

Odrion

Banned
HK-47 said:
Really? Its fucking Blade Runner + GitS, a style that is hardly underused...
Really? I haven't seen much games copy that sort of style outside of Metal Gear Solid and maybe a few other Japanese games. I'm just excited that a Western Studio is using the style.
TemplaerDude said:
Guh, just noticed this.

I know it doesn't really... mean anything... but I swear to god I'm having flashbacks to (I think) an OXM interview for IW that said the exact same thing.

They probably said that about IW because that's basically how Deus Ex's missions work. Someone even made a comical flow chart about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Odrion said:
Really? Care to point out any modern day western games with this style?
Dreamfall's future sections.

Admittedly it was a bit stunted since it was also on the Xbox 1.

It's not excrutiatingly common though, but I think that has a lot to do with how difficult it is to render vast dystopic cityscapes, which is one of the big visual parts of cyberpunk.

Odrion

Banned
Nirolak said:
Dreamfall's future sections.

Admittedly it was a bit stunted since it was also on the Xbox 1.

It's not excrutiatingly common though, but I think that has a bit more to do with how difficulty it is to render vast dystopic cityscapes, which is one of the big visual parts of cyberpunk.
I don't know if you could simply call this cyberpunk. This has a contrast of clean vs. gritty, like the news room, while I usually think of cyberpunk as all gritty.

Odrion said:
I don't know if you could simply call this cyberpunk. This has a contrast of clean vs. gritty, like the news room, while I usually think of cyberpunk as all gritty.

Most works that are considered cyberpunk have some form of the clean vs. gritty contrast.

I think some of you guys are too quick to drink Kojima's man juice. It's definitely inspired from Blade Runner and Ghost in The Shell. Not once does the trailer - nor do the screenshots remind me of Metal Gear Solid. This, of course, is a good thing.

Odrion

Banned
I'm sure I'm the only one whose nibbling on Kojima's dickbutter.
Pinko Marx said:
Most works that are considered cyberpunk have some form of the clean vs. gritty contrast.
I usually see it as either the grittiness of technology, or technology debased by nature and mankind. The whole "the ideals of man vs. the realities of man.

But fine, how about let's be excited that a western game studio are using designs inspired somewhat by eastern art?

Cep

Banned
Odrion said:
I'm sure I'm the only one whose nibbling on Kojima's dickbutter.

I usually see it as either the grittiness of technology, or technology debased by nature and mankind. The whole "the ideals of man vs. the realities of man.

But fine, how about let's be excited that a western game studio are using designs inspired somewhat by eastern art?

Not in itself something to be happy about.

Besides, it happens often enough, not really that unique.

My most anticipated title at this point...shit looks on point. Not a big fan of the dominant yellow lighting but aside from that it looks good.

Wiggum2007

Odrion said:
Isn't there one where he twists his arm to the point where the bullet pusses out of his wound? Maybe it's his leg.

Man, love the game.

The funniest thing about that system was that it didn't differentiate between getting shot and say, almost dying from falling off a cliff. I had a few close calls from falling off a ledge that put me down to the last health bar, where my character then proceeded to dislodge a bullet from his arm. :lol

Honesty from what I got from the pc gamer uk article, I'm looking forward to the game.

No it doesn't sound like Deus Ex, but it doesn't sound like IW either.

large environments, a focused aug,experience system and primarily stealth (I loved stealth in the original, tranq crossbow and baton babyyyyy)

I'm quietly hopeful. Do I think it'll be on the same level as Deus Ex? Nope, but from what I've seen i think it'll be a good game.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
ILikeFeet said:
from the way most members are complaining, it sounds like they just want Deus Ex 1 in a new 2010 box. :lol

Absolutely.

Still, everyone in this thread will buy it anyway, radical stealth killz, irritating art direction and all, so we can all still get along.

EYEL1NER

Wow, just saw those screen shots. Hate the color palette. Then again, what should I expect from a game coming out now?

Kade

ILikeFeet said:

I think the reason why most people are upset or "complaining" is the fact that there's nothing wrong with the Deus Ex ruleset. If the video game industry treated games like board games and table top games, then what we'd get is Deus Ex 1 with new content, minor tweaks and modern graphics. Instead we get "Let's make a whole new ruleset based on Deus Ex but remove a lot of the stuff that made it great!"

I'm not against DE:HR at all and I'm saving my judgement of the game until it launches, but it isn't exactly hard to see why people are worried.

If it ain't broke...

hamchan

jim-jam bongs said:
Not really excited to be honest. The art is a mess, they can't decide whether to rip off Bladerunner, Ghost in the Shell or Dangerous Liaisons for their predominate look, so instead they've just ripped them all off, thrown them in a blender and then added four parts donkey piss for colour.
This sounds like the best thing ever. Hype plus.

Salacious Crumb

ILikeFeet said:

If people copied Deus ex instead of Call of Duty gaming would be a glorious thing right now.

TemplaerDude said:
Guh, just noticed this.

It does sound like the PR for DX: IW but lets be real here, there are a few things that make up DX

1. Conspiracy story
2. Biomods/augs
3. Ability to go through different paths
4. Ability to go through different play styles (lethal/non lethal/stealth/commando/sniper/etc)

So obviously whether they get it or not, whether this game will rule or not, they will mention shit like this.

I'm a massive DX fan, and was a massive fanboy for IW before release. Posted on the Ion Storm forums and everything. Boy was I let down.

I am thinking of this game kind of like a potential good game at the moment but I'm not hyped. It's more of a... even if they get what I feel is important to Deus Ex wrong, they will still probably make a somewhat playable and fun game, that will most likely have a steam sale within a few months and I'll pick it up then if reviews aren't stellar. If they are then day one, but at least with this mindset I don't think I'm going to be overhyped/let down.

That said shit like the cover system, third person camera, takedowns... they don't really scream 'Deus Ex' to me, and a lot of people I hear saying that it's overly sensitive to not want that but can you imagine if Half Life 3 was announced with those types of features? blah.

ILikeFeet said:

well you know with the deluge of deus ex 1 caliber games since 2000, it IS SILLY of us now isn't it. Mebbe pc version can mod out the piss filter, that worked wonders for Fallout 3.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I just hope the city they are showing off is a big character in the game. I love the look of the city in the screens, reminds me a lot of Blade Runner. One of the things i hated about FF 13 was they built all these great cities and locations and all you could do was explore a small square section of them, and just look at all the wonderful detail from afar.

Top Bottom