• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex HR Reviews Thread

kaskade

Alright they said the 20 credit will be applied, not the 10. Most likely just info not updated at the same time.

Amazon is fucking awesome, I order 2pm the day before, get it tomorrow with a 20 dollar credit.

Interfectum

DaBuddaDa said:
I pre-ordered the standard PC edition from Amazon back in April. Will I still get that $20 credit?

You should. If you have any problems just contact Amazon. They are pretty damn consumer friendly when it comes to stuff like this.

plagiarize said:
i might be the only person on gaf who is going to be going into this game unspoiled. i haven't read a single review. a single preview. a single plot point. i watched TWO gameplay videos from ages ago, and picked up on the general positive waves that came out after the leak.

i'm going to have to carry on flying under the radar until next week when i'll have time to play it, but i'm picking my PC collectors edition up this week and getting that baby installed.

Same here.

C'mon detectives. Gimme the green light on that $20 Deus Ex credit :p

kaskade said:
Alright they said the 20 credit will be applied, not the 10. Most likely just info not updated at the same time.

Amazon is fucking awesome, I order 2pm the day before, get it tomorrow with a 20 dollar credit.

Bang.

Nelo Ice

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
I pre-ordered the standard PC edition from Amazon back in April. Will I still get that $20 credit?

yep all previous orders will get the $20 credit and if for some strange reason if u dont get ur credit up to 2 days after it ships then just email amazon and they'll give u the credit.

LiK

kaskade said:

Thanks for the update. :)

Seda

plagiarize said:
i might be the only person on gaf who is going to be going into this game unspoiled. i haven't read a single review. a single preview. a single plot point. i watched TWO gameplay videos from ages ago, and picked up on the general positive waves that came out after the leak.

i'm going to have to carry on flying under the radar until next week when i'll have time to play it, but i'm picking my PC collectors edition up this week and getting that baby installed.

I don't know anything about the game, other than the main character's name is Adam, I've never played any other Deus Ex game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
kaskade said:

Same. I decided today based on impressions that I will get it, thought about going to Best Buy, then saw the Amazon credit WITH release day delivery still. That is win.

bryehn

Usually a huge spate of glowing 9+ reviews that come out before a game's release is off-putting. Sounds like one of those "come in and play it with assistance for 2 days" sessions.

Picking it up tomorrow either way, but yeah this screams of overhype.

Edit: I should point out I have not watched a trailer, seen a preview or read any review of this, nor did I play any leaked preview copies (which last I checked is still piracy). So I'm going in blind.

Interfectum

bryehn said:
Usually a huge spate of glowing 9+ reviews that come out before a game's release is off-putting. Sounds like one of those "come in and play it with assistance for 2 days" sessions.

What about the months of GAF giving positive impressions of the leaked copy?

bryehn said:

Edit: I should point out I have not watched a trailer, seen a preview or read any review of this, nor did I play any leaked preview copies (which last I checked is still piracy). So I'm going in blind.

Most of the reviews were embargoed until about an hour or so ago. The early reviews were of course positive, so there was some worry that they were glossing over potential problems. Obviously this is not the case.

You should never go into a game blind. Reading a few reviews and watching a few trailers should tell you what to expect from the gameplay and graphics at the very least.

bryehn

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Most of the reviews were embargoed until about an hour or so ago. The early reviews were of course positive, so there was some worry that they were glossing over potential problems. Obviously this is not the case.

You should never go into a game blind. Reading a few reviews and watching a few trailers should tell you what to expect from the gameplay and graphics at the very least.

I go into every game I'm interested in, especially sequels to long-standing personal favorites blind now. It's really the only way I can form a completely objective opinion of my own. I write reviews too, but I pay for every game so as to not be influenced by outside sources.

Effect

PaulLFC said:
This is what I'm waiting to see. Scores for each version and not a blanket score across them all. There is no way they can be that identical to warrant that. Especially the consoles compared to the PC version. We've seen in the past that there can be differences between PS3 and 360 mutliplatform games.

FYI

I'm talking with a rep right now on Amazon and it looks as though that $20 is not happening (at least for me, maybe for you guys that specifically talked earlier?)

edit: anyone take a print screen with the $20 promo?

MikeE21286 said:
FYI

I'm talking with a rep right now on Amazon and it looks as though that $20 is not happening (at least for me, maybe for you guys that specifically talked earlier?)

What? It's right on the page:

Pre-order Bonus
Order the standard edition of "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" get $10 off a future video game purchase, as well as a code to unlock a Tactical Enhancement Pack. This includes a Huntsman Silverback double-barrel shotgun and Longsword Whisperhead Suppressed extreme range sniper rifle. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. The code for the Tactical Enhancement Pack will be included in pack when the game ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

Fake Edit: Holy shit, it changed from $20 to $10
lol.gif

rdrr gnr

I didn't play the leak, but I did watch about 30 minutes of a playthrough that was uploaded to YT. It seemed underwhelming. This might be a good summer game for next year.

Effect said:
This is what I'm waiting to see. Scores for each version and not a blanket score across them all. There is no way they can be that identical to warrant that. Especially the consoles compared to the PC version. We've seen in the past that there can be differences between PS3 and 360 mutliplatform games.

They are done by two different reviewers though so im not sure if the score difference actually mean anything.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Effect said:
Except they dont even talk or compare the two console versions differences. The 360 was rated lower in gameplay, it's just different opinions from two reviewers... unless you just go by random scores like a 6.8 for sound for the PS3 and and 8.0 for the 360 without explaining why.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
alr1ghtstart said:
those comments....goddamn.

I also love how LOT is supposed to be used to compare tech, but all of their images are less than SD res.

The irony that has become this generation, people are comparing rotten apples to rotten apples.

RiZ III

MikeE21286 said:
Lens of Truth did a comparison

Decide yourself I guess.

Xbox version looks quite a bit darker, not sure on the AA, they look equal in that department. PS3 version might have a slight edge here, but they are basically equal IMO (outside of the contrast differences)

Hmm damn I like the darker look but at the same time it's nice to see stuff clearer.. o well probably go with the PS3 version just cause I prefer the controller.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SamuraiX- said:
Did they really try to compare how Deus Ex's story stacks up to an Anime?
If you're going to compare it to an anime of some sort, Ghost in the Shell seems like a high bar to compare to.

thetrin said:
If you're going to compare it to an anime of some sort, Ghost in the Shell seems like a high bar to compare to.
Their other review (for the 360 ver) goes on about how games shouldn't try to ape movies...

Top Bottom