• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex HR Reviews Thread

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jling84 said:
Better than Invisible War confirmed?
It would be very hard to be worse than Invisible War.

Danne-Danger said:
Their other review (for the 360 ver) goes on about how games shouldn't try to ape movies...
Oh, I think what they said is crap, even without context. I was just saying that GitS has a good story.

Effect said:
This is what I'm waiting to see. Scores for each version and not a blanket score across them all. There is no way they can be that identical to warrant that. Especially the consoles compared to the PC version. We've seen in the past that there can be differences between PS3 and 360 mutliplatform games.

Aegis (the IGN reviewer who posts here) says that the two console versions are virtually identical.

Effect

Matrix said:
Except they dont even talk or compare the two console versions differences. The 360 was rated lower in gameplay, it's just different opinions from two reviewers... unless you just go by random scores like a 6.8 for sound for the PS3 and and 8.0 for the 360 without explaining why.

Gotcha. Can't read the review at the moment. Was just talking in general how there shouldn't be one score for all versions, which is usually the case. Kinda pointless if you aren't going to compare the two versions though and have it done by separate people. Oh well.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Aegis (the IGN reviewer who posts here) says that the two console versions are virtually identical.

Good to know.

thetrin said:
If you're going to compare it to an anime of some sort, Ghost in the Shell seems like a high bar to compare to.
But does it warrant that comparison? In terms of atmosphere and story, the game has a clear idea of what it's going for and at no point did I think it was anywhere close to the same idea as Ghost in the Shell. I just wouldn't try to make that comparison when deciding if the world/atmosphere fits the genre well.

Another example of why reviews are stupid outside of being opinion pieces.

rdrr gnr

alr1ghtstart said:
those comments....goddamn.

I also love how LOT is supposed to be used to compare tech, but all of their images are less than SD res.
Crap. I was playing against the DialgaMarine guy in the R3 beta yesterday.

thetrin said:
Oh, I think what they said is crap, even without context. I was just saying that GitS has a good story.
Well sure! I just thought it was funny since one of them is docking the game for not being as good as a movie and the other wants it to be less like a movie.

Though to be fair it's the whole dialogue tree thing he's railing on.
TheNiX said:
But does it warrant that comparison? In terms of atmosphere and story, the game has a clear idea of what it's going for and at no point did I think it was anywhere close to the same idea as Ghost in the Shell. I just wouldn't try to make that comparison when deciding if the world/atmosphere fits the genre well.

Another example of why reviews are stupid outside of being opinion pieces.
It's the whole "augmented humanity"-angle of it that makes you draw the comparison. Though no story-heavy game that I know of would be able come out on top in such a comparison. It's a rather silly thing to point out as a negative by the reviewer. If it was the opposite though, then that would be something truly remarkable.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Vandal.net (spanish website) uploaded its review: 9.4

Final impression (translation from spanish): Long, complex, detailed, an enthralling world to explore which never loses interest during the many hours it will last, huge freedom to solve situations, a gameplay without fissures, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is perfect and surprised us despite the great expectations we had on it. It is not for everybody's tastes, and we celebrate that. Its demands patience, study every situation in detail, rewards the stealthy and the most creative when solving a conflict, and its difficulty is above the actual average. A great game that we hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Also, Meristation gave it a 9

Pretty high scores. I never had this game in my radar but now it definitely caught my attention.

padlock

The reviews are fantastic.

90% for a game which received a relatively small amount of pre-release hype and wasn't that hottly anticipated by the gaming press translates to about the equivalent of 98% for the next CoD or Gears of War.

DaBuddaDa

Canceling my pre-order after the Metacritic score dropped all the way down to 89%. I don't buy games that are worse than Dead Space 2.

Dr. Ecco

Neo Member
Vandal.net (spanish website) uploaded its review: 9.4

Final impression (translation from spanish):
Vandal.net said:
Long, complex, detailed, an enthralling world to explore which never loses interest during the many hours it will last, huge freedom to solve situations, a gameplay without fissures, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is perfect and surprised us despite the great expectations we had on it. It is not for everybody's tastes, and we celebrate that. Its demands patience, study every situation in detail, rewards the stealthy and the most creative when solving a conflict, and its difficulty is above the actual average. A great game that we hope you enjoy as much as we did.
Also, Meristation gave it a 9

Meristation said:
The best:
-Recovers and updates the essence of Deus Ex
-Changes in infiltration and combat are for the better
-Great liberty of action and impact on story
-Outstanding visual design
-Excelent map design, with great possibility of exploration and alternative routes
-Great story, filled with intrigue, interesting charaters which connects well with the original game
-Great VA, dubbed and subbed to spanish
-Fantastic cinematic sequences, which add an extra touch to the atmosphere
-Great amount of subsystems which work well, like hacking and persuasion

The worst:
-"Final bosses", forced combats not very inspired which go against the game essence
-Not the most technologically advanced game, with some obvious details
-Facial and body animations not very well done in most of the cases
-Long load times, even on PC

Pretty high scores. I never had this game in my radar but now it definitely caught my attention.

Edit: Shit, sorry for the double post

DaBuddaDa said:
Canceling my pre-order after the Metacritic score dropped all the way down to 89%. I don't buy games that are worse than Dead Space 2.
That's the same process Activision uses to vet which products keep getting made.

DaBuddaDa said:

My God please say this is a joke?

Please please please please please please

MikeE21286 said:
nope. that's gone.

I talked to an Amazon CSR and had a print screen of it and everything. No dice.

I was told "promtions are subject to change".

Same here bud :(

Blizzard

Banned
buhdeh said:
Lets see how long 'til the GAF backlash occurs.
Considering people were apparently expecting -bad- or polarized reviews, and considering the collective entity known as the GAF has apparently had positive reactions over the last few months playing the leaked press preview, I'm not sure it qualifies for normal backlash procedure.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
MikeE21286 said:
nope. that's gone.

I talked to an Amazon CSR and had a print screen of it and everything. No dice.

I was told "promtions are subject to change".

I guess you could try and keep F5'ing the page or go with greenmangaming.com and get it for $34

I said the same thing, he ended up giving it to me as a one time thing. I think the "promotions are subject to change" line is b.s. considering we ordered when it was the active promotion.

Got my $20 though, I am happy.

Raziel

the nowgamer and gametrailers reviews reflect more how i thought this game looked than the other reviews - where the story and characters arent very noteworthy, poor AI, filler/throwaway side quests, illusory level of freedom (game seems to lean more on stealth than combat), artificial stealth setpieces (with more conveniently located man sized ventilation shafts than batman arkham asylum), and overall looking pretty janky (animations, 1st-3rd person switching).

i think with other reviewers the game benefited from the branding of a classic franchise and because people want/need a good cyberpunk game in their lives, so they were more willing to overlook or gloss over the games flaws; similar to fallout 3 (replace cyberpunk with post-apoc).

this is of course all pure speculation and im still keeping an open mind. as of now im very interested indeed to see the giantbomb review; jeff if nothing else is *usually* good at removing nostalgia and hype from the equation.

Got the -$20 off the order from customer support, had to fucking haggle their ass twice. Payed off though! Total came out to $40.98 at checkout with next day delivery for PS3! Amazon is bad ass.

Interfectum

raziel said:
the nowgamer and gametrailers reviews reflect more how i thought this game looked than the other reviews - where the story and characters arent very noteworthy, poor AI, filler/throwaway side quests, illusory level of freedom (game seems to lean more on stealth than combat), artificial stealth setpieces (with more conveniently located man sized ventilation shafts than batman arkham asylum), and overall looking pretty janky (animations, 1st-3rd person switching).

i think with other reviewers the game benefited from the branding of a classic franchise and because people want/need a good cyberpunk game in their lives, so they were more willing to overlook or gloss over the games flaws; similar to fallout 3 (replace cyberpunk with post-apoc).

So basically you blow off all the good reviews and only pay attention to the few 'bad' reviews.

JudgeN

xtrasauce said:
The two best RPGs of the year just had to come out four days from each other, didn't they?

Your right because Dark Souls will be Game of the Generation!!!

FLAME ON!!!

When does this unlock on steam? Tuesday Midnight EST or is Valve on PST or is Valve on Valve time?

Seda

I just contact Amazon again (I was told earlier that I would get $20 credit but wanted to reconfirm) they said I should expect an email from marketing in a day or two with an answer (they acknowledged that they see I was told $20).

I mean, it's only ten dollars, but hopefully they'll give me $20 (as that's what I was told).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I have this preloaded on Steam from the key I got for the GMG sale.

Do I get the TF2 perorder swag? Or is that only directly through steam?

Raziel

Interfectum said:
So basically you blow off all the good reviews and only pay attention to the few 'bad' reviews.
to an extent, yes. i would think most people by now have learned to take with a grain of salt sweeping positive reviews of hugely hyped games from major publishers ? but like i said in the part of my post you edited out, im still keeping an open mind because like many others, i too wanted this game to be good.

PaulLFC

Dealspwn - 9/10

Pros:
+ Impeccable level design, open-ended gameplay
+ Mature, compelling storyline
+ Mechanically brilliant, graphically capable, outstanding art style

Cons:
- Unsatisfying climax and resolution
- Awkward boss battles
- Clipping gripes, long load times

raziel said:
to an extent, yes. i would think most people by now have learned to take with a grain of salt sweeping positive reviews of hugely hyped games from major publishers ? but like i said in the part of my post you edited out, im still keeping an open mind because like many others, i too wanted this game to be good.

sounds like you are writing it off already.

oh and fallout 3 was awesome.

DaBuddaDa

dragonflys545 said:
Uncharted 3
Batman AC
AC 3
Skyrim
Battlefield 3
Cod 3
I highly doubt any of those will settle on a score of 96 or higher months after their release regardless of the ridiculous amount of marketing money that's being thrown at them. The only two that have a sliver of a chance of doing it are Battlefield 3 or Uncharted 3. Battlefield 3 because of the incomprehensible level of hype for it throughout enthusiast press circles, and Uncharted 3 because Uncharted 2 scored a 96.

Top Bottom