• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution now has ads on load screens. Billboard ads incoming also.

gdt

It's bad, very bad, but I think they diiiid have an opportunity to put ads in game rather well. Billboards, alcohol, etc etc. Wonder why they didn't go that route. It would've worked that way.

Of course, I'd rather no ads at all.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What a bunch of turds gaming execs are these days.

Game gets rave reviews, sells very well and they stealth patch ads after the customers have already bought the game.

Well, screw them. I was planning to buy this one after I'm done with The Witcher 2.

Really, they can go fuck themselves with a rusty spear.

Effect

The_Darkest_Red said:
So all of you guys who are upset aren't going to buy Thief 4 or a new Deus Ex game, right?

Most certainly not on PC if this is what they are going to be doing. That then means I'd be waiting for the console version to drop in price. This act means I won't be paying full price next time. That's if I even consider it after this crap. I have no strong attachment to Deus Ex even though I enjoyed the game. I've never played a Thief game so it wasn't even on my radar and won't be going forward.

You don't throw ads into a product after the purchase. If this was there ahead of time and it lowered the cost of one's purchase. It would be a different story. I don't care if they have to make extra revenue. Do it other ways. Not in a product I already paid for and have installed.

jambo

Don't you have ads?

Well, sure, but not in our games. Only on TV and radio. And in magazines and movies and at ball games and on buses and milk cartons and T-shirts and written in the sky. But not in games. No, sir-ee!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
jambo said:
Don't you have ads?

Well, sure, but not in our games. Only on TV and radio. And in magazines and movies and at ball games and on buses and milk cartons and T-shirts and written in the sky. But not in games. No, sir-ee!

I don't pay 60 euros for a movie, a magazine or a bus drive.

The only TV and radio I consume is free and so are ball games on TV.

Never seen ads on milk cartoons.

Interfectum

The_Darkest_Red said:
Like I said, the first time something like this happens and it actually affects the gameplay experience of a game I will be upset, but until then its business as usual.

How do you know it hasn't already?

When DXHR first came out the loading times on PC were fucking crazy long. Within a day a patch cut those times by 2/3. I'm willing to bet it had something to do with those ads.

adds in loading screens do not bother me.

adds in a game like this would bother me. i will complain when they are actually where they would bother me.

slippery slope is a logical fallacy people. don't forget that. when they actually do something that bothers me, i'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you.

until then i'll carry on enjoying the game.

Londa

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Now an ad on a loading screen is enough cause to categorize an entire game as an "interactive ad"? Did you know that there is a solid 30+ hours of in-game content in Deus Ex: HR, and that the content in the actual game is exactly the same now (post-patch) as it was when the game first came out? The interactive aspect of the game is completely untarnished.
The ads are also on the in-game billboards. No I won't buy it for full price. Maybe my standards are higher than yours? Who cares what other people think, all I know is I refuse to buy a game on release day when all its going to do is shove product ads in my face.

jambo said:
Don't you have ads?

What movie, book or magazine did you buy where ads were retroactively plastered into the text/scene after you had purchased it? (and without your knowledge or consent!)

jambo said:
Don't you have ads?

I should have ads on my nuts too, I mean they're everywhere else!

Enco

Carcetti said:
Just saying but... have you ever bought a magazine, or perhaps a DVD with trailers. I read a lot of books, and even they have ads for author's other works in front and publisher's other stuff in the end these days.

Actual ingame advertising in Deus Ex: HR would be terribly moodbreaking, but I can't bring myself to care about the loading screens. Maybe it's because I usually read something else while the game loads.

They should've just been forthcoming about this pre-release.
Bitmap Frogs said:
I don't pay 60 euros for a movie, a magazine or a bus drive.

The only TV and radio I consume is free and so are ball games on TV.

Never seen ads on milk cartoons.
Exactly.

Also, you don't get ads mid movie. Plus it's not as much of an issue as you usually watch a movie just once. With games you load them up regularly and will see the ads every single time there's a loading screen.

MMaRsu

Banned
Haha what the fuck at gaffers defending this or showing indifference. This is total asshat bullshit behaviour.

Wait, they are in the Ps3 version too? Nooooo not my benelux edition :(. I guess I'll have to disable wireless or something to disable it or did they patch it?

kuroshiki

jambo said:
Don't you have ads?

Dude, if you don't understand context, you should just sit in the corner and be quiet and stop babbling about things you don't understand.

KageMaru

I can understand why some are bothered by this, but as long as these ads don't extend the duration of these load screens, I can care less.

Effect

FinalxBoss said:
The adds appeared in my ps3 copy as well, does that mean they were already on the disc and this whole thing was planned?
Curious. Try disconnecting your PS3 from the internet and see if they still appear.

MMaRsu

Banned
KageMaru said:
I can understand why some are bothered by this, but as long as these ads don't extend the duration of these load screens, I can care less.

Don't you mean you can't care less? Jesus..

Londa said:
The ads are also on the in-game billboards. No I won't buy it for full price. Maybe my standards are higher than yours? Who cares what other people think, all I know is I refuse to buy a game on release day when all its going to do is shove product ads in my face.
Would the billboards make the experience more "immersive" for you if they had fake products on them? Good grief, the game takes place in 2027, I'm willing to bet Coca-Cola will still be around. There is nothing wrong with tasteful ad placement.

You refuse to buy a game when "all it's going to do" is shove product ads in your face? You really think that's a sufficient way to sum up the entirety of the package that comes on the Deus Ex: HR disk?

Maybe your standards are higher than mine, or maybe I know how to enjoy a game that I love despite a few small icons on the bottom corner of a loading screen.

Enco

MMaRsu said:
Haha what the fuck at gaffers defending this or showing indifference. This is total asshat bullshit behaviour.
As was once posted when I said something similar, thisisneogafdude.jpg.

You have a defense force for everything. From companies that sue smaller ones over patents to companies that shaft consumers to pedophiles.

Interfectum

KageMaru said:

What makes you think they wont extend the duration? If loading screen ads became big-business you can guarantee loading times would be extended.

Calcaneus

Interfectum said:
What makes you think they wont extend the duration? If loading screen ads became big-business you can guarantee loading times would be extended.
You think they won't get KILLED in the press and among gamers if it ever comes out that they are intentionally prolonging loading screens just for ads?

That would never fly.

Enco said:
As was once posted when I said something similar, thisisneogafdude.jpg.

You have a defense force for everything. From companies that sue smaller ones over patents to companies that shaft consumers to pedophiles.
And likewise you have people that blow everything out of proportion.

iratA

I disaprove of blatant in-game advertising to this extent, this is not 'world building' ie. helping sell the universe or theme, its shameless advertising with no context. Passive advertising that fits within the theme of the game such as on billboards in a driving game or on the barriers of sporting grounds etc are fine.

Square better get over this shit, quick.

Satchel said:
Games are cheaper now, in 2011, then they have ever been in my lifetime (at least in Australia anyway) and I was born in 1980. They also have more content and provide more hours of entertainment per dollar than they ever have in my lifetime.

This argument couldn't fail any harder if it tried.
The only thing I fail at is seeing any connection between ads being backdoored into games in 2011 and a general decrease in game prices in a backwater PAL territory over the past thirty years.

AEREC

If anyone wants to complain more, I would suggest posting at the official forums as well. There has been an Eidos admin that commented in it, though he did not say much.

Interfectum

Calcaneus said:
You think they won't get KILLED in the press and among gamers if it ever comes out that they are intentionally prolonging loading screens just for ads?

That would never fly.

You really think that? Look what we've come to accept over the past few generations.

There will be a time when certain loading screens will have 30-60 second VIDEO ads that you are forced to watch. If you think that is in the realm of impossibility you haven't been paying attention.

Londa

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
Would the billboards make the experience more "immersive" for you if they had fake products on them? Good grief, the game takes place in 2027, I'm willing to bet Coca-Cola will still be around. There is nothing wrong with tasteful ad placement.

You refuse to buy a game when "all it's going to do" is shove product ads in your face? You really think that's a sufficient way to sum up the entirety of the package that comes on the Deus Ex: HR disk?

Maybe your standards are higher than mine, or maybe I know how to enjoy a game that I love despite a few small icons on the bottom corner of a loading screen.
Eh you must be a dev for this game. Smh

Neuromancer said:

Last 5 posts
@Jordland The ads have nothing to do with the latest patch.

@Bloodyroarxx The ads were not included in the latest patch.

@admittedlyhuman We didn't patch ads into the game.

@Conclavia The new patch contains nothing of the sort.

@obiadekanobi We don't make those games!

I am not quite sure but it seems they didn't patch the ads in

Interfectum

PetriP-TNT said:

They were in there from day 1 which would explain the shitty PC loading times and the speedy fix. Probably some ad-loading error was causing it to hang.

PetriP-TNT said:
Last 5 posts

Then the code was there all along and they chose to activate it on patch day. And we can't avoid the adds by using the release version? Which also has shit performance anyways.

Calcaneus said:

That would never fly.

This has already happened with Wipeout HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM

And it took a huge media outcry to get them to change their minds (despite plenty of people on here defending Sony for including the ads). It's a safe bet that they'd be more than happy to extend the duration of their loading screens for ad revenue (saves on dev costs too, since they don't have to put as much effort into shortening load times as well!)

Edit 2: Just checked GFAQS, yep. Sony DID put the ads back into the game (and people are outraged enough that they actually found a way to block the ad server (The ads come from a company called DoubleFusion, and are hosted on CDNetworks)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938148-wipeout-hd/59629793

And yet Sony have not retracted the ads. This (along with their evangelisation of Online Passes shows that they don't give a fuck about their customers and are happy to fuck you up the arse at any given opportunity)

PetriP-TNT said:
Last 5 posts

If anything, that only makes things worse. They had no intention of telling consumers that ads would start appearing in the game, even though they intended to have ads from the very start!

MMaRsu

Banned
Calcaneus said:

That would never fly.

You havent noticed latest gaming trends? Gamers will gladly bend over backwards and sit through whatever bullshit they have to to get to their game.

Londa

Banned
Umm I played the game for two weeks straight and didn't see one ad on the loading screen or on the billboards so my copy didn't have ads day one.

Calcaneus

Interfectum said:
You really think that? Look what we've come to accept over the past few generations.

There will be a time when certain loading screens will have 30-60 second VIDEO ads that you are forced to watch. If you think that is in the realm of impossibility you haven't been paying attention.
Wipeout HD tried that shit and was caught playing videos longer than the load times. Apparently they removed them for shorter ones.

Its still a shitty practice putting video ads in load screens, but I think obviously lengthening the load times will get noticed.

Interfectum

Londa said:
Umm I played the game for two weeks straight and didn't see one ad on the loading screen or on the billboards so my copy didn't have ads day one.

They weren't enabled but the code has always been there.

Interfectum

Calcaneus said:
Wipeout HD tried that shit and was caught playing videos longer than the load times. Apparently they removed them for shorter ones.

Its still a shitty practice putting video ads in load screens, but I think obviously lengthening the load times will get noticed.

They'll wear gamers and games press down over time. Hell you have gamers defending loading screen ads in this very thread. Wipeout got called out because it was the first one to do it. They pushed too far, too fast. Remember horse armor? Now that shit is the norm too.

Dave Long

Banned
More evidence that people just don't give a shit about being advertised to and the more it happens, the more they will be comfortable with it and even defend it. People who say this is no big deal or just roll with this kind of shit disgust me.

Advertising is not some god given right of corporations to use wherever and whenever they choose. You as a consumer and human being have the right to get pissed when it shows up everywhere.

Top Bottom