• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

neoism

well just finished up my second play through... 85 hours with the DLC included... Seriously one of my favorite game of all time. Love every second of it. Skyrim will most definitely be my GOTY, but just like RDR last year this was my sleeper hit... for me anyway... MY first Deus Ex game.. it won't be my last.

Weakest ending(s) and endgame of a Deus Ex game.

The whole thing felt like, well, Deus Ex. As such, it was enjoyable and unique when compared to pretty much everything else, but it was sort of... uninteresting. It's like playing a typical, bridging "part 2" and all along expecting the next one ("3") to be far more interesting. Now they have proven that they understand how to make Deus Ex, hopefully the next one is a little more than that.

I know, repeat commentary, but damn it.

one flaw this game has is there's no load game option, i dont want to keep all abilities, I just want to keep my weapons as the upgrades are really hard to comeby. everytime i am close to beating the game i feel sad, thinking there's no continue, there's no more exploration once i defeat the final boss, unless i start all over again.
the developers should learn about the load game system from resisdent evil series.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ladyboy101 said:
one flaw this game has is there's no load game option, i dont want to keep all abilities, I just want to keep my weapons as the upgrades are really hard to comeby. everytime i am close to beating the game i feel sad, thinking there's no continue, there's no more exploration once i defeat the final boss, unless i start all over again.
the developers should learn about the load game system from resisdent evil series.

What's a l"oad game system"...do you mean new game+ like in RPGs?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished the first mission (the warehouse level)

I just killed every and all hostiles to death--almost all of them involve shooting them in the face. I even opt to fight the boss when the game gave me the choice and shot him in the face immediately without bothering to hear his explanation, hahaha.

Will the game punish me if I keep playing with the same attitude?

Turnstyle

Can someone help me out with upgrading the tranquilizer gun? I'm doing a stealth run (on my first playthrough), and I've just got to the second city. I don't have any upgrades on the tranqulizer gun at all at the moment, and I'm struggling to find them.

Where can I get them from? And what are they? I don't even know what I'm looking for.

Lakitu

st5fu
neoism said:
well just finished up my second play through... 85 hours with the DLC included... Seriously one of my favorite game of all time. Love every second of it. Skyrim will most definitely be my GOTY, but just like RDR last year this was my sleeper hit... for me anyway... MY first Deus Ex game.. it won't be my last.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of my second playthrough but I've had to hold back on it because of the large amount of games releasing. I'll get back to it at some point soon. Even with Batman: Arkham City releasing, it's still my GOTY ... unless Skyrim dethrones it.

pa22word

Laughing Banana said:
Will the game punish me if I keep playing with the same attitude?

Nope (isn't it beautiful :D)!

Edit: Although you will get less exp as a result. It doesn't really matter in the end though, as you'll have more than enough praxis to max out the skills you really need.

Turnstyle said:
Can someone help me out with upgrading the tranquilizer gun? I'm doing a stealth run (on my first playthrough), and I've just got to the second city. I don't have any upgrades on the tranqulizer gun at all at the moment, and I'm struggling to find them.

Where can I get them from? And what are they? I don't even know what I'm looking for.

Are you talking about the pistol or the rifle? The pistol has no upgrades as far as I know, and the rifle can only upgrade its reload speed and the leading mod. Reload speed mods are lying around everywhere, and you can just buy the leading mod at a shop.

Sullichin said:
It's funny to come back to this thread and see new players complaining about the bosses.

i didn't think they were particularly great encounters, but i don't think they are the this shit smear on the game that many people seem to think they are. They are little asides that play differently than the rest of the game... and the game always gives you what you need to destroy the boss right there in the room. you don't really have to waste praxis to get the typhoon to "cheese" the boss. although the typhoon is just awesome so get that shit eventually anyway.
Didn't put one point in it. Seemed like a total noob skill.

IoCaster

Kong Fisso said:
Didn't put one point in it. Seemed like a total noob skill.

It's fun as hell to jump off a building, land in the middle of a bunch of BT goons with stun effect and triggering a Typhoon blast. Just for shits and grins, ya know.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
pa22word said:
Nope (isn't it beautiful :D)!

Edit: Although you will get less exp as a result. It doesn't really matter in the end though, as you'll have more than enough praxis to max out the skills you really need.

Hooh.

So what upgrades do you recommend for that kind of playstyle? I just don't want to be bothered with all the sneaking around and rustling through drawers/computers/storage rooms is a lot easier when everyone else around stuck with a bullet hole on their faces, hahaha.

I've already upgraded Hacking Capture to level 3.

Also, does putting points of Hacking Stealth recommendable or not? Some of the hacks seem so difficult without it with all of those 70-80% detection chance spread about...

Laughing Banana said:
Hooh.

So what upgrades do you recommend for that kind of playstyle? I just don't want to be bothered with all the sneaking around and rustling through drawers/computers/storage rooms is a lot easier when everyone else around stuck with a bullet hole on their faces, hahaha.

I've already upgraded Hacking Capture to level 3.

Also, does putting points of Hacking Stealth recommendable or not? Some of the hacks seem so difficult without it with all of those 70-80% detection chance spread about...
hacking stealth is the first thing i put points into, and the first i max. at max, hacking is simply pressing buttons in most cases.

Nessus

Ladyboy101 said:
found this amazing speedrun, beat the game in 1 hour 16 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs51QxI5BjM

I just beat the game, took me 30 hours.

I wouldn't have believed it was possible.

From what I could see he only uses 2 glitches, each of which could have only shaved off maybe a couple minutes.

So the game really is beatable in about 1 and a half hours, if you know exactly where to go and have all the door codes.

Nessus

Maffis said:
I really liked this game (boss fights excluded), but it felt like they built this awesome world up for nothing. So much back story of the whole world, which I found more interesting then the real story line. Kind of disappointing, because I thought the main story was kind of uninteresting.

Have you played the other two games?

A lot of the backstory in HR fits into stuff that relates to those 2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Playing the game now on PC. It looks fantastic maxed out, although I don't understand why it stutters sometimes without reason (it does it even if I drop details). Nontheless, it's refreshing seeing a console project taking proper advantage of the PC platform. I love the art and the music so far.

Is there a way to get out of cover standing instead of always in crouch-mode? God that is annoying, always having to click L3 after taking cover... Should at least do that if you opt out of cover while leaning/shooting over.

Dash Kappei

^^^^
Anybody? ;)

PC

Stuttering: is it normal?
Always crouching when out of cover: mandatory?
Possible to chance gamepad's buttons binding?

This game is GREAT. I didn't expect to also like the gunplay so much!

Massa

Dash Kappei said:
^^^^
Anybody? ;)

PC

This is definitely not the case. What control method are you using to play the game?

Turfster

Ladyboy101 said:
you cannot save malik while doing pacific run. because there's no pc to hack that robot.
Not true. You can kill the bot without problems (as long as you drag the incapped soldiers away from the blast zone)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dash Kappei said:
^^^^
Anybody? ;)

PC

no, but it is a common problem.

Normal? No. Common? Yes.

I disable DX11 and the stuttering is completely gone for me. With DX11 enabled, I can fuss around with every setting under the sun and it's a stuttering mess when I'm in any of the city environments. Butter smooth with DX11 off (and visually it doesn't look very different to my eyes).

Turfster said:
Not true. You can kill the bot without problems (as long as you drag the incapped soldiers away from the blast zone)
Unless the game decides it simply doesn't want to award you pacifist despite your meticulous near-60 hour playthrough! I also recently realized it never registered Scholar even though the steamchievement popped (but never linked to my account for some reason).

Whatever, game was great. I doubted Eidos Montreal from announcement through beta leak and they simply proved me wrong.

Dash Kappei

Massa said:
This is definitely not the case. What control method are you using to play the game?
Xbox 360 gamepad on PC.

I enter cover (HOLD not TOGGLE) with LT and whenever I let go I'm crouching, never standing... I need to push the left analog stick's button each time to get up.

Normal? No. Common? Yes.

I disable DX11 and the stuttering is completely gone for me. With DX11 enabled, I can fuss around with every setting under the sun and it's a stuttering mess when I'm in any of the city environments. Butter smooth with DX11 off (and visually it doesn't look very different to my eyes).

Thanks, that's exactly my case. I'll try with DX11 off but damn I like all the shiny cloths and tessellation effects.

Laekon said:
Can anyone tell me the name of a save file? I just built a new pc and can't get the game working. I think I deleted the save files some how as they aren't in the normal places Steam puts them.

I don't have the game but I notice that some games on steam create a new folder in the Documents folder, maybe the save is there in a Deus Ex folder or Edios folder.

MaddenNFL64

Turfster said:

Don't need to drag people. Run up quickly before the first batch of enemies move up. Go in cloaked, toss a stun to stop them in their tracks, stun gun them all down near the elevator. The bot drops down, toss a emp. I remember doing it this way, checked all the bodies, and everyone was alive.

Dash Kappei

Seriously, this is making me crazy.
I enter cover (hold) with LT and whenever I let go and get out of 3d person cover I'm crouching in 1st person view, it never leaves me standing up... I need to push the left analog stick's button each friggin' time to get up.
And yet you guys say that can be fixed... HOW then? Using Toggle Cover instead of Hold Cover?
Pissing me off and I can't let it be since someone posted on this page that this shouldn't happen, thus ruining the game for me.

hsukardi

electroshockwave said:
How is this on PS3 for controls and performance?

I thought it played great, never once did I feel that there was a controller issue.

There is some slowdown in the PS3 version, but it never detracted from my gameplay experience.

I'm going to leave my thoughts out of the game because they've already been covered.

My only question is:

What was the one Tong's relation to Tracer Tong from Deus Ex? Was the guy that jumped on the getaway boat (called The Tracer), was that Tracer Tong? The whole thing was kind of cute but I didn't quite understand it.

ProfessorLobo said:
I'm going to leave my thoughts out of the game because they've already been covered.

My only question is:

What was the one Tong's relation to Tracer Tong from Deus Ex? Was the guy that jumped on the getaway boat (called The Tracer), was that Tracer Tong? The whole thing was kind of cute but I didn't quite understand it.

Yes, Tracer Tong is the guy that jumps on the boat. He's the son of the Tong you meet that runs the Hive.

ProfessorLobo said:

My only question is:

If you have that Explosive Mission DLC or whatever it is, there's a short sidequest where you meet and talk to Tracer Tong.

Was thinking about the game a bit, and here's where I think it falls short most in my eyes, in comparison to DX1. First of all, I think it takes itself too seriously. Now, I'm not saying that it shouldn't have the mature, and thought provoking storytelling at all. But it just seems too...heavy handed at times? I thought DX1 hit that perfect balance between telling an engrossing, thought provoking story without collapsing under its own weight.

Going along with that, the entire story was all based primarily on augmentation. Every theme, every conflict, every thing centered around augmentation. I would say 75% of the NPC only ever talk about augmentation as well. I thought DX1 had a multitude of interesting themes, that all formed a cohesive and believable world. As controversial as augmentation might be -- or anything for that matter -- I could never see it becoming essentially the one and only talking point for everyone in the world.

DX1, I was thinking about walking around the streets of Hong Kong and Paris and all of the interesting opinions that you run into. Politics, government, banking, history, science, power, God, etc. With HR, it's like the writeres said "let's write a story about augmentation" and the characters and everything were built around that. With DX1, I felt like they just wanted to create an interesting and believable world, started with some ideas, and everything flowed out from that.

Still, with that being said, I still think they did an admirable job on the story in HR. Granted, it fell apart a bit at the end, but I was engrossed throughout the experience. I need to play through it again sometime soon...

onken

Going after Foxiest but I just don't get that Smooth Operator bonus in that section between coming down the lift into the base and meeting the first boss. Reloaded it 3 times now, absolutely no alarms, alerts or takedowns but still no SO bonus, bleh.

sp3000

DX1, I was thinking about walking around the streets of Hong Kong and Paris and all of the interesting opinions that you run into. Politics, government, banking, history, science, power, God, etc. With HR, it's like the writeres said "let's write a story about augmentation" and the characters and everything were built around that. With DX1, I felt like they just wanted to create an interesting and believable world, started with some ideas, and everything flowed out from that.

This is pretty much why I still like the original and IW story wise than this game.

Turnstyle

I've just gone back to China...how much % of the game do I have left?

Have really been taking my time with it, and exploring every area, but I feel like I might be nearing the end...

guest1321

Turnstyle said:
I've just gone back to China...how much % of the game do I have left?

Have really been taking my time with it, and exploring every area, but I feel like I might be nearing the end...
Not the best answer I'm sure but whenever you load the game it should show a series of numbers on them. You can think of them as chapters, and in total their are 15 of them. I'm not 100% sure where you are but I think it's around 11 or 12?

Trick_GSF

Banned
Strange question, didn't know where else to ask.

The L2 button on my PS3 controller has crapped out. I'm getting HR today and was wondering inf the L2 button is used/used a lot/essential?

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
onken said:
Going after Foxiest but I just don't get that Smooth Operator bonus in that section between coming down the lift into the base and meeting the first boss. Reloaded it 3 times now, absolutely no alarms, alerts or takedowns but still no SO bonus, bleh.
You won't get the bonus in every section so don't worry about it.

onken

Stallion Free said:
You won't get the bonus in every section so don't worry about it.

I see, is there any particular reason why? It just means I'll have no way of checking whether I screwed up or not until I finish the game ;/

Trick_GSF said:
Strange question, didn't know where else to ask.

The L2 button on my PS3 controller has crapped out. I'm getting HR today and was wondering inf the L2 button is used/used a lot/essential?

I'd greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

L2 is used for sprint, I guess you don't really use it that much, mostly for getting across the hub maps quicker so not essential.

Labadal

onken said:
I see, is there any particular reason why? It just means I'll have no way of checking whether I screwed up or not until I finish the game ;/

You will indeed have to wait. I thought I had messed up my Foxiest/pacifist run at many points in the game. I was so close to start shooting people out of frustration, but I kept my anger in check, and it turned out that I had been stealthy and not killed anyone.

They should have had a stats page like in Alpha Protocol.

onken

OK I did some checking up and it appears to be a bug regarding existing playthroughs. The proposed solution is to delete your old saves or play on a new profile to fix it. Will back up mine and give that a go tomorrow.

Top Bottom