• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Game Informer details [Up: Additional Details]

I wouldn't say they're outdated but I do think we're at a point where they don't fit every game and should be a game by game basis. I think the bosses in HR worked well as encounters with villains but as boss fights themselves, they did not. I love boss fights when they fit the game and work well.
Good point.

jett

D-Member
Eidos noted fans who played stealthily enjoyed the game more so spent several years iterating on gunplay

wat

What kind of conclusion is that? Maybe you should've further focused on the best aspect of the game.

DOWN

Banned
wat

What kind of conclusion is that? Maybe you should've further focused on the best aspect of the game.

It's not much of a choice scenario if you just plain loathe playing the alternative to a stealth play through.

Lingitiz

I'm sure Square Enix had something to say about that.

Jensen is a widely recognized iconic character these days, starting from scratch and establishing a new audience again is probably the last thing SE wanted.

Money talks, just be happy you are getting a sequel in 2016 to DeusEx.

I'm sure there's no way they accounted for Jensen becoming as big as he has. The whole "I never asked for this" meme blew up and they'd handicap themselves a lot by not bringing him back.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
wat

It means they completely reworked the weaker aspect since the series is about player choice and flexibility. I'm sure they're still going to build on the stealth, they just had less work to do on that front.

-Females are also now part of the regular enemies in the game

Finally! Deus Ex: Invisible War was one of the most progressive shooters
/*insert other genres in here*
in terms of gender equality, male or female player character, powerful, important allies and villains of both genders and almost completely equal numbers of (aside from the male-only clones) regular enemies. It was disappointing when DE:HR reverted back to male-only enemies.

I'm sure there's no way they accounted for Jensen becoming as big as he has. The whole "I never asked for this" meme blew up and they'd handicap themselves a lot by not bringing him back.
I wish the they'd have thought the same for Wei Shen Mother Fucker...

But, gotta admit, of the two, both Deus Ex being SP rather than SD or bringing back Jensen before Wei were much more important. A lot more legacy and popularity to consider. Both would have been preferred but one was inevitably going to go F2P MP, better SD than DX.

A few shots from the mag: (let me know if these aren't allowed)

This is the new pilot:

vqzssb.PNG

This looks like the main antagonist:

xqvanu.PNG

That aint Malik.

Druz

Finally! Deus Ex: Invisible War was one of the most progressive shooters
/*insert other genres in here*
in terms of gender equality, male or female player character, powerful, important allies and villains of both genders and almost completely equal numbers of (aside from the male-only clones) regular enemies. It was disappointing when DE:HR reverted back to male-only enemies.

Posts like this are so ridiculous. I'm outraged that there aren't equal representations of hermaphridites and transexuals. Hopefully ubi rights this wild injustice with the squeakquel.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck that loser, give me Malik or give me death.

Posts like this are so ridiculous. I'm outraged that there aren't equal representations of hermaphridites and transexuals. Hopefully ubi rights this wild injustice with the squeakquel.

Where did you get the outrage from? I was simply disappointed that they didn't have something good that was in the previous game.

Oublieux

wat

I think this is more regarding the fact that Deus Ex: HR rewarded players more for playing the stealth route than the aggressive route.

Day Uno baby! Can't wait for this.
Loved DE:HR.

Hardest difficulty
All stealth
No alarms
No kills

Will do the same in this one. Perfection.

I just hope takedowns don't use energy. I don't think I used any other skills on a stealth run because I was always saving energy for takedowns. Such a stupidly dull mechanic.

Red Hood

Banned
I absolutely LOVED DX:HR, it's my favourite game of last generation and Mankind Divided may very well surpass it if it keeps the good things and improve a few things I didn't particularly like. I've played the original Deus Ex only AFTER I played DX:HR and even though I preferred HR (first love of the series), I still think it's not perfect:

- The "energy bar" for take-downs was dumb.
- Perhaps a little too hand-holding compared to DX1, even when disabling Object Highlights, Objective Locators and Cover/Takedown Prompts.
- It didn't seem to have a lot of those choice and consequences like the original (or at least not without a lot of impact, besides the
"upgrade" chip
).
- Compared to the rest of its brilliance, DX:HR had rather sub-par facial animations (the original too, so it's probably "just Deus Ex-ish").
- Vanilla boss fights were absolutely shit-tier in comparison.

Though when all is said and done, I still prefer HR to the original, but if DX:MD is going to look at DX1 and HR for inspiration and improve their respective flaws, I might very well have my game of the generation here.

What would you like to see changed?

Squire

Banned
I hope they're successful in making it fully playable as a straight up shooter. I tried to go through HR that way and it very quickly began to seem less than feasible.

Red Hood

Banned
I hope they're successful in making it fully playable as a straight up shooter. I tried to go through HR that way and it very quickly began to seem less than feasible.

According to David Anfossi (the director) they're going to fleshen out the shooter aspect more, since he thought "a lot of people liked the stealth bits whereas the shooting aspect wasn't as well received" or something along those lines. I'll get back to you with the source.

Marvel

could never
Still haven't completed HR, I should get on that.

Also Jensen imo had one of the best character designs in a gen.

EGM1966

How so? I played a straight up shooting run and had no issues. Mechanics for shooting were solid enough. Not up there with the best but certainly solid.

Also very glad to see another DX. Wasn't sure about Jensen being carried over but I warmed to him and his "never asked for this" ways so I'm okay with it.

I do wish developers would think through having conflicting multiple endings though. Original DX had the same problem. If you think there's any chance of a sequel if sales are good then pls don't do it devs. At kind of stuff only works with one and done stories and characters.

I want these things fixed/improved:

*More expensive augments or just more of them. You shouldn't be able to max all of them in one playthrough.
*Choices in the missions should be actual choices, not just that you can continue if you fail.
*Enemies should be able to handle that you hide in the ventilation ducts.

Other then that, I just want more of it. :)

Very excited! It's nice to see this franchise keep going since it's one of my favorites of all time. I'm not going to watch any previews, I want to go into this game blind.

Red Hood

Banned
Ugh, did they learn nothing from Invisible War's canon garbage?

Honestly, I think only
Hugh Darrow
's ending will be canon, everything that has been shared about
the events in Panchaea and the public's fear and anger towards transhumanism
proves that. They're probably only saying they're mixing the endings to avoid a backlash from people who chose the other endings, but by saying they're mix the endings (like Invisible War) it will ironically have a reversed effect.

BBboy20

How so? I played a straight up shooting run and had no issues. Mechanics for shooting were solid enough. Not up there with the best but certainly solid.

Also very glad to see another DX. Wasn't sure about Jensen being carried over but I warmed to him and his "never asked for this" ways so I'm okay with it.

I do wish developers would think through having conflicting multiple endings though. Original DX had the same problem. If you think there's any chance of a sequel if sales are good then pls don't do it devs. At kind of stuff only works with one and done stories and characters.
Going by the tagline, it would seem multiple choice is a bad idea if they're that big and getting closer to DX1.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure Malik will feature in a story DLC. I would bet my house on it.

I love cyberpunk and I love Deus Ex ever since the first game back in 2000, so this reveal is a great news for me. DXHR was a very good revival of the series but pleaaaase change the melee system. Pressing a button and watching a mini-cutscene was unsatisfying after a while.

xtradi

Banned
I love cyberpunk and I love Deus Ex ever since the first game back in 2000, so this reveal is a great news for me. DXHR was a very good revival of the series but pleaaaase change the melee system. Pressing a button and watching a mini-cutscene was unsatisfying after a while.

The melee is great in DXHR if you use stealth to creep up to the enemy then press the button and watch the fireworks hehehe.

El Topo

DXKH was a bit disappointing. Good (but not great) game, but very different from the original Deus Ex. Oh well, I'll take a sequel.

the more i look back to when i played deus hr the more frustrations i remember. the stealth felt so tedious and the gun play was garbage. they should make the sequel more like dishonoured, have fast recharging abilities to make the player feel more powerful.

Red Hood

Banned
the more i look back to when i played deus hr the more frustrations i remember. the stealth felt so tedious and the gun play was garbage. they should make the sequel more like dishonoured, have fast recharging abilities to make the player feel more powerful.

I can understand not liking DX:HR's gunplay (I didn't love it either, but luckily I don't play Deus Ex games as shooters), but what was wrong about the stealth? It just... worked. Never felt bad to me. Stealth usually is "tedious" and slow, but I kinda think that's the point of stealth. Hiding, observing and lots of waiting.

Dishonored makes it feel a lot fresher and faster though, but that's primarily due to the magic involved. I can't see DX:MK have a cyberpunk equivalent.

Top Bottom