• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Alpende

I got it yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I loved Human Revolution and this is building on that great game. I did notice some frame rate drops but other than that, I'm liking it. Discovering new paths is a joy. Trying to stealth my way through it and not kill anyone, so far so good.

Finished the game, reached the "good" ending.

Very disappointed. So many plot-lines and characters didn't do anything.
*The hidden-augmentation quest-line was pointless.
*His Ex working on Orchid... What is the point of dragging her into this if the plot is just going to ignore it.
*The entire Orchid plot is stupid. The cliche of leaving Adam to "die" and then using poisoned drink to kill politicians... Why don't those idiots just strap the explosives (which can demolish two blocks) to the building. Why was there the need for the complicated infiltration and delivery of alchohol... This is behind cartoon stupid.
*Marchenko's motivations? He looked like an aggressive pro-aug supporter, but instead, he was working for the Illuminati? Seems like a broken one-dimensional Villain.
*The only boss battle was pure garbage. EMP -> takedown. In the trailer he had the shotgun and arm-moves, yet he blasts some kind of laser and has the bot army in the game.
*In the end, Adam is Illuminati's puppet? Even the Illuminati board members didn't know who he was until the end of the game.
*How is Dubai linked to anything other than the plot-tool?
*What about that faction which was helping Adam in the ship in the last game?
*Why was I forced to watch 12 minutes of credits?
*The post-credit teaser shows that despite all the events in this game, it is just a small bump in Illuminati's plan.

I have so many more questions. The first game has introduced me to the universe, it had so many relevant character introduction and events. It set the stage for Adam going after Illuminati in the next game.
The second game was all about foiling one terrorist plot between good guys (Interpol, Juggernaut, politicians, Rucker) and bad guys (Illuminati, terrorists, mafia). Adam didn't get any closer to Illuminati, instead, we have more questions if Adam is an Illuminati's puppet now?

I don't think that this game is going to be profitable for SE, so I don't expect to see the sequel to this story.

BeeDog

Got some questions about the last mission in the game (heavy spoilers, obviously):

I reached Miller and got to select between saving the delegates and confronting Marchenko. I want to get the best ending (I guess save them first then confront him), but I would also like to explore everything without stress. What's the best way to approach this? Is there an actual timer running in the background?

Dave1988

Got some questions about the last mission in the game (heavy spoilers, obviously):

I reached Miller and got to select between saving the delegates and confronting Marchenko. I want to get the best ending (I guess save them first then confront him), but I would also like to explore everything without stress. What's the best way to approach this? Is there an actual timer running in the background?

You can go take out Marchenko first and then go save the delegates. That's what I did. IIRC you have about 10 minutes to get to them.

Balphon

You can do it in either order, but they'll be a hidden timer running when you're moving to the second one.

pots555

Finished the game tonight. I waited so long for it to come out and... I enjoyed Human Revolution more. Still a good game, but not a great one.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This game feels so comfy to play late at night after a long work day. It's really easy-going (especially if you're like me and sneak by everything) and chill.

malfcn

Maybe I'm slow as hell, but at 34 hours I'm still only on mission 11 with a few side quests still left to complete. Human Revolution took me 34 hours to complete, so this game has certainly lasted me longer. No clue where all the complaints about length are coming from.

I'm worse. 39 hours and just now going to Ruzicka, m5.

BeeDog

Welp, just finished the game. Loved it in general, and will be at the far top for me in the GOTY list.

Some thoughts about the ending (spoilers, obviously):

The last stage is an all-time great, but the game suffers from the middle-part syndrome and having lower stakes than the other Deus Ex games which lessened the impact of the ending. I'm also not the biggest fan of end-game montages, especially one as boring as this. Still, despite the smaller scope of the story, I didn't mind it too much.

I did everything to get the "Foxiest Of The Hounds" trophy but didn't manage to get it, which completely sucked out the air of me playing the game on NG+ (guns blazing). It's inexcusable that the game doesn't have an in-game statistics page so you roughly know where you messed up.

munroe

So finished my first run through, was stealth but didn't mind silently killing people. Clocked in just over 20 hours, I probably spent more time exploring after reaching Prague the second time than I did my first time in the city.

Managed to get nearly the best ending
I saved both the delegates and stopped Machenko, but didn't have the antidote for miller

I enjoyed it, when I got to the final location I knew that was the end, so I wasn't surprised when it did finish, unlike apparently other people/reviewers

My cons:
Invisible walls, I enjoy really exploring, in DX1 with the leg aug you could really explore with barely any restriction but here there's still plenty to block you out.

Damage, even with max armour, you still die really quickly. I enjoyed DX1 shootouts with ballistic protection and really getting into a great gun fight, not so much in MD, you'll barely be able to withstand much gun fire

Restrictions, such as not being able to use weapons in the TF29 base, let me play the game and mess around if I want to, Deus ex is all about my choice and how I want to play.

The stealth paths don't always seem to be well designed, it's more, just look for the conveniently placed ventilation grate probably behind an object.

The poor reactions to game choices, during the 3rd time at Prague I would sneak to the TF29 base not being seen by anyone and silently taking out a guard, then in the base speaking to aria? Saying someone augmented had taken a load of people out

Poor exp distribution, you're still granted more exp for being more stealthy or kinder to people as opposed to just shooting people

Experimental augs, never really had the need to use any of them except for the Icarus dash

Pros, won't say much about these:
Graphics good,

gunplay, great improvement over HR and ammo takes up much less space in the inventory as it stacks more

Enjoyed the overall story, it was engaging and interesting but I didn't really feel like there was much of a conclusion, the outcome from the end choices are not elaborated on, though guessing that will be discussed in the inevitable sequel

Side quests were interesting and fun but some could do with fleshing out more especially the AI one

SJRB

Gold Member
Welp, just finished the game. Loved it in general, and will be at the far top for me in the GOTY list.

Some thoughts about the ending (spoilers, obviously):

The last stage is an all-time great, but the game suffers from the middle-part syndrome and having lower stakes than the other Deus Ex games which lessened the impact of the ending. I'm also not the biggest fan of end-game montages, especially one as boring as this. Still, despite the smaller scope of the story, I didn't mind it too much.

I did everything to get the "Foxiest Of The Hounds" trophy but didn't manage to get it, which completely sucked out the air of me playing the game on NG+ (guns blazing). It's inexcusable that the game doesn't have an in-game statistics page so you roughly know where you messed up.

I didn't get the Foxiest trophy either and I'm PRETTY sure I didn't get any alerts. Pissed me off quite a bit.

Orcastar

Finished the game, reached the "good" ending.

*The entire Orchid plot is stupid. The cliche of leaving Adam to "die" and then using poisoned drink to kill politicians... Why don't those idiots just strap the explosives (which can demolish two blocks) to the building. Why was there the need for the complicated infiltration and delivery of alchohol... This is behind cartoon stupid.
Orchid is nearly untraceable. If Adam hadn't uncovered their plot, Marchenko would have been successful in silently assassinating most of the opponents of the Human Restoration Act, thus ensuring that the act passes, widening the gulf between naturals and the augmented.

*Marchenko's motivations? He looked like an aggressive pro-aug supporter, but instead, he was working for the Illuminati? Seems like a broken one-dimensional Villain.
Marchenko wants a war between naturals and augs because he thinks augs are superior. The Illuminati, on the other hand, want to put a stop to widespread augmentation because they view augmentations as a threat to the current social order, which they are largely in control of. They are aiding and manipulating Marchenko because they know that he will ultimately lose his war and make augs look like terrorists in the process. Marchenko doesn't "work" for the Illuminati.

*In the end, Adam is Illuminati's puppet? Even the Illuminati board members didn't know who he was until the end of the game.
Adam is an unwitting pawn in the Illuminati's internal power struggle, yes.

Honestly it seems like you just weren't paying much attention to the story.

There's a lot of missing details about Marchenko that hints at a richer storyline but it never really comes out

He has a wife, Alisa Maratovna, he hasn't seen in a few years but he gets a few emails from her. He also has a daughter, Raisa, and we know basically nothing about her.

The killswitch is created as a way to control him. He knows about it, as do members of his team and the Illuminati. I believe Bob Page orders his team to kill him with the killswitch after the London job is done, there is an infolink or email with the order. There are other emails reminding his team that if he ever steps out of line, to use the killswitch.

Some of Marchenko's emails seem to suggest he is doing what he is doing in order to protect his wife and children, maybe from the Illuminati. Jim Miller's daughter has similar emails between Jim and his brother, with the implications being that she needs aug surgery to live and Jim doesn't want to do it because he knows what kind of life augs suffer.

You get the feeling there was supposed to be a richer backstory of how he is forced to do what he has to do, "to be a soldier", but it never really comes out except in a few dialogue scenes at the end between him and Adam.

Quidam

When am I meant to decide whether
Radich or Otar
should live?

I've sneaked into the theatre and I'm at their office, but Otar is hostile to me even after I did both favours for him.

Very confused!

Orchid is nearly untraceable. If Adam hadn't uncovered their plot, Marchenko would have been successful in silently assassinating most of the opponents of the Human Restoration Act, thus ensuring that the act passes, widening the gulf between naturals and the augmented.

Marchenko wants a war between naturals and augs because he thinks augs are superior. The Illuminati, on the other hand, want to put a stop to widespread augmentation because they view augmentations as a threat to the current social order, which they are largely in control of. They are aiding and manipulating Marchenko because they know that he will ultimately lose his war and make augs look like terrorists in the process. Marchenko doesn't "work" for the Illuminati.

You say that Marchenko is a warmonger, yet another user suggests that he is a hostage of Illuminati, especially since there is a kill-switch for him. Perhaps the story is just bad and confusing at explaining this character.

Would it really matter how you assassinate your political opponents? Do you think people would care less if a president was poisoned instead of shot? Rucker died in the bloody way, also soldiers in Alps facility spoke how Orchid was painful.

I think that an agonizing and bleeding politician would not be considered a natural death.

Window

When am I meant to decide whether
Radich or Otar
should live?

I've sneaked into the theatre and I'm at their office, but Otar is hostile to me even after I did both favours for him.

Very confused!

I think unless you
kill the informant
Radich is still in charge. Or maybe it's a bug not sure.

Finally beat it, took me close to 50 hours. WTF are you people doing, ignoring everything? I also replayed sections to play them multiple ways as well. And some breach. Great game.

But I have to talk about the final boss, seriously this boss hate shit needs to stop. If that was frustrating you, go play baby games or something. That was one of the easiest bosses I have fought, it was designed well enough. At least it's something interesting, a new kind of encounter, variety is good. All these stupid boss complaints ended up with them removing all bosses except this one and people still cry like wusses and now we probably get zero bosses. Sucks.

Also I thought the ending was fine, it tied up the main storyline of the game.

Orcastar

You say that Marchenko is a warmonger, yet another user suggests that he is a hostage of Illuminati, especially since there is a kill-switch for him. Perhaps the story is just bad and confusing at explaining this character.

Would it really matter how you assassinate your political opponents? Do you think people would care less if a president was poisoned instead of shot? Rucker died in the bloody way, also soldiers in Alps facility spoke how Orchid was painful.

I think that an agonizing and bleeding politician would not be considered a natural death.
Right, I might have been wrong about Marchenko's motivations.

However, I would imagine that smuggling an unknown and virtually untraceable poison into a high-security UN convention is much easier than smuggling in explosives (the other buildings were not part of the convention after all). Also, Marchenko obviously wouldn't have claimed responsibility for the assassination; after all, the whole point of convention was to convince the attending UN delegates to oppose the Human Restoration Act, which, on the surface, alings with ARC's objectives. Had he been successful, Marchenko would have blamed the assassination on anti-aug groups, thus justifying his aug uprising.

malfcn

I'm never beating this game.

I used to work, then plow through games all night. Rinse and repeat.
Now I come home from work and sleep. I look forward to an off day to play. Play for a bit and then sleep.

What has happened to me. 😩

Levyne

Banned
Just finished this.

I thought that, surprisingly, the Side Missions were just as well written as the main ones. I'm really happy to see games like the Witcher 3 and now this game (which have nothing else in common) have well written, meaningful side content. Very little "go to this place and fetch this thing for me."

The game lasted me 40 hours, and I didn't think it ended too abruptly, though there are obviously hooks for larger questions to be answered later.

Not sure I want to try any Breach, but I might give it a go.

I thought that the 3rd time you are in the Prague hub was really annoying though. Maybe it was supposed to be, but it just soured me on the game a bit. Ended up just just darting from place to place staying healed.

Cess007

I agreee with this statement... yet I still find HR the better game. Just enjoyed it more, like the characters more, like the locations more.

Prague sucks, visually it lacked the Cyberpunk punch I crave. It had it in limited quanities, but overall it just felt blah.

This is my main problem with Prague. Tho an interesting location, i feel it feels less memorable than Detroit in that aspect.

Edit. Wait, i'm on the final stretch it seems,
London
. How the hell i'm gonna finish the
Harvester
side-quest?
I found that the witness woman was the killer, but it's implied that there's more on the side-quest, but it never appeared on my game as a "in-progress" mission after the battle with her.

Edit2. Reading further about that mission, it seems that i missed a lot of stuff and i reached the end of it lol

JayEH

Finished the game. Amazing. Yeah the ending was really abrupt and obvious sequel bait but I enjoyed my whole time with the game. Really took my time with it doing every side mission, exploring the city, etc. I'm glad this game isn't super long because that's what usually turns me off from RPGs nowadays but this was just perfect length. Well paced and right when you start to get tired of the game it ends. Writing was really good, liked the new characters, Adam is still cool as ever, and even though there weren't as many side quests as in other RPGs the ones here were lengthy, interesting, and diverse. I'd rather get 13 side missions of this quality than them doing your standard RPG fetch quests. I actually did like the world state change from HR to this game. The whole racism connections weren't as bad as it could of been but of course there is still the poorly thought out stuff like #AugLivesMatter.

Gameplay was fun though I really had no use for any of the new abilities (or anything really outside of stealth and hacking). Killed a few people but mostly went non lethal. Went almost entirely melee based with my takedowns and have a ton of ammo left over. My only complaint is that there was only one hub city and like others have said Prague wasn't great compared to the hubs in the previous games. I really do hope there is a sequel but I'm not too sure given the sales figures going around. Fingers crossed. Really want more of this world. Not sure if I'll continue playing the game now or not. Probably spent like 30-40 hours (really annoys me when RPGs don't have in game timers) with the game so I would like a break. Maybe I'll give the pre order DLC a try or fumble around in breach for a bit. NG+ is a possibility in the future but definitely not for a while.

I'm back in Prauge.

Late game spoilers I think.
The city is on lock down, martial law. I have a couple of side quests to finish. Am I fucked? Am I going to have to tip toe around everything? I have SM11 - the last harvest left and sm12 - k is for kazdy left.

This game feels so comfy to play late at night after a long work day. It's really easy-going (especially if you're like me and sneak by everything) and chill.

Agreed.

Same here, except for the one in GARM. I guess that counts? Super lame.
Been wondering about this.

In my playthrough so far (
Just returned to Prague for the third time
) I've had two endless alert situations where my stealth infiltrations didn't seem to count for much. Makes me wonder if those are always supposed to happen, or if I messed up somewhere, but there's no way to really tell.
The first alert was just after the ARC leader died, which felt like a story thing - but the second happened midway through crawling through a tunnel in the GARM facility, and that felt really out of place.

And then again I think maybe its a bug or glitch. I've been spotted by guards through walls and when deep in vents, and the last mission I just ran (
Infiltrating the Dvali Theater
) had literally zero enemies - no shit - I walked though that whole giant empty space, hearing conversations but seeing nobody and never being spotted myself. Wasn't until I returned to the Red Light district streets that everybody magically spawned into existence.

Yeah, I think I'm going to put this game down for a while. Its kindof worn out my patience honestly. Every time I really get into the groove something just slips.

Cess007

I'm back in Prauge.

Late game spoilers I think.
The city is on lock down, martial law. I have a couple of side quests to finish. Am I fucked? Am I going to have to tip toe around everything? I have SM11 - the last harvest left and sm12 - k is for kazdy left.

Agreed.

Yes,
you will have to tip toe all the way to reach any place in the city. Or you can take some cops and move more freely

illusionary

Just beat the game now and sitting through the credits... yep, this is definitely going to be getting one of my top spots for games of the year (though it's not quite beating Blood and Wine to number one). The near-end sequence with
taking out 11 guards
in particular is just he sort of scenario that Deus Ex does so well, and I thought that the ending as a whole capped off the game's story arc pretty well

Oh, but stat tracking on the app really doesn't seem worth having bothered with...

Alarms triggered: 144
Trophy earned: Pacifist
Trophy earned: Foxiest of the Hounds

Not that I'm unhappy with the end result, of course!

nemisis0

I'm never beating this game.

I used to work, then plow through games all night. Rinse and repeat.
Now I come home from work and sleep. I look forward to an off day to play. Play for a bit and then sleep.

What has happened to me. 😩

Time to change work shifts or hours, or you just don't like your job anymore :(

Been wondering about this.

In my playthrough so far (
Just returned to Prague for the third time
) I've had two endless alert situations where my stealth infiltrations didn't seem to count for much. Makes me wonder if those are always supposed to happen, or if I messed up somewhere, but there's no way to really tell.

You unfortunately failed two of the 3-4 ways you can fail foxiest by story choices

First one - in Golem City, if you don't correctly choose all the dialogue choices with Rucker so that he agrees to go along with you peacefully, an alarm is triggered (presumably by him).

Second one - in GARM, if you contact Jim Miller instead of Vega, an alarm is triggered in Hanger 2 a few minutes later because your pilot is an Illuminati spy and warns Marchenko. There really is no story way to know who to trust, apparently in the art book for the game they note the pilot is a spy. In game, there is an infolink in the puppet shop about your pilot meeting someone to solve his financial problems (brother in care facility).

Third one - I believe if you try to get the killswitch inside GARM a silent alarm gets triggered.

Fourth one - a few things can go wrong in the last mission and trigger the alarm, like not taking out the 11 guards at the beginning or not taking out the 4 patrol guys right before Jim Miller or having Marchenko's drones spot you.

d00d3n

You unfortunately failed two of the 3-4 ways you can fail foxiest by story choices

Third one - I believe if you try to get the killswitch inside GARM a silent alarm gets triggered.

I got the killswitch there and still got Foxiest, so I don't think that one is true.

Help!

I'm in M7 The Rucker Extraction. I'm supposed to find some neuropozyne for Louis Gallois but I can only find 1/2 cases in the locker where it's supposed to be. Any ideas where I should be looking?

Sooo, just finished the game.... and I am so confused.
That's it? That was one of the biggest wet fart endings I've ever seen in a game. I was genuinely shocked when the game let me know I unlocked New Game+ and the credits started rolling... London did not feel like the end of the game at all and I was sure there would be more. Even HR's final mission was better.

The game felt very short, too. Maybe it's my imagination but I recall HR being longer and having way more side missions.

EDIT: There are still quite a few hidden trophies left to unlock so maybe I missed a lot of stuff somehow?

Cess007

😭😭😭

It's not that bad. After knocking out some cops, i found i can move almost as freely as before.

Help!

I'm in M7 The Rucker Extraction. I'm supposed to find some neuropozyne for Louis Gallois but I can only find 1/2 cases in the locker where it's supposed to be. Any ideas where I should be looking?

The other neuropozyne is on the locker next to one you find the first one. It's a little harder to found, but it's there.

BTW, the tracking in the App is right? 'Cause i just finished the game, and it shows me that it took me 114hrs to finish the game and i can't believe it ._.

SlickVic

It's not that bad. After knocking out some cops, i found i can move almost as freely as before.

BTW, the tracking in the App is right? 'Cause i just finished the game, and it shows me that it took me 114hrs to finish the game and i can't believe it ._.

Pretty sure a lot of the stats that app reports are wrong. It says 110 hours for me and there's no way I put that much time into the game (as much as I am taking my time with it). I'd probably delete that app if it weren't for all the triangle codes to scan.

xrnzaaas

I agree with the people saying that the environments lack diversity. Imo they should make 2 HUB's or at least "promote" Golem City to a proper hub. I was also disappointed with the ending(s) and lack of boss encounters. Overall Human Revolution was more to my liking but I enjoyed both games and I hope for more despite disappointing sales numbers for MD.

Help!

I found the second one to be a pain in the ass to find. I suggest crouching and walking backwards while looking for it..lol. They're both located within those storage rooms.

That was pretty spoilerish considering how far I am into game, but I appreciate the answers all the same.

Just wish there was some way to tell, even with some kind of subtle wink or nod in game, that your choices lead to those alert conditions, and that you could have avoided them. As it was I couldn't tell if I'd been sloppy with hiding an unconscious enemy, or if it might have been bugged., or if there was no way around it.

But its good to know those alerts were indeed avoidable.

SlickVic

Man some of these triangle codes are such a pain to scan in the app for me. I have to go through various adjustments of the light level in my room before it successfully picks it up.

The behind-the-scenes developer and voice actors interviews they unlock are really good and are fun to find in the game, just wish they had made a less annoying way to actually listen/watch them.

Lakitu

st5fu
Finished it, absolutely loved it. Nailed the pacing and I really don't get the complaints about the ending being abrupt.

The entire last third of the game is pretty amazing from a gameplay standpoint (from
the Palisade Bank heist, GARM, the Theatre and London. I loved it.
Even the stuff beforehand was great too, the side missions were well integrated and well done unlike the first and it was just really fun to explore Prague. Golem was excellent aswell. Sure in terms of main story content, Human Revolution has it beat but I'm already eager to give it another playthrough. It's just behind Dark Souls 3 for my GOTY...

I'm already excited about Deus Ex 5, we already have a good idea about the story beats (
Rabi'ah? Janus, the Illuminati and probably more TF29 stuff.
) I'm just intrigued about where, in terms of locations, they could go next.

Finished it, absolutely loved it. Nailed the pacing and I really don't get the complaints about the ending being abrupt.

The entire last third of the game is pretty amazing from a gameplay standpoint (from
the Palisade Bank heist, GARM, the Theatre and London. I loved it.
Even the stuff beforehand was great too, the side missions were well integrated and well done unlike the first and it was just really fun to explore Prague. Golem was excellent aswell. Sure in terms of main story content, Human Revolution has it beat but I'm already eager to give it another playthrough. It's just behind Dark Souls 3 for my GOTY...

I'm already excited about Deus Ex 5, we already have a good idea about the story beats (
Rabi'ah? Janus, the Illuminati and probably more TF29 stuff.
) I'm just intrigued about where, in terms of locations, they could go next.

After 60 hours, I share this sentiment.

The only thing I would have wished for is a little bit more environment diversity and that Golem is turned into a main hub. So much missed potential.

Top Bottom