• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Tecnniqe

Banned
Lol this article

The author doesn't touch anything how mandatory the microtransactions are or if you need to buy them at all. All the complains are that it looks bad and the structure is like f2p game.

A lot of full-priced games has microtransactions. Somehow I didn't see him complain about microtransacions in Uncharted 4 or many other games.

He covered the one and only thing that mattered in UC4;

Uncharted 4 Has Shit Lemons

Honestly if you're gonna go after someone for not reporting on fee-2-pay games, Jim is certainly not the one. So he missed 1 in 20 and didn't mention macro/microtransactions, he sure as hell have made his stance on the matter very clear for a long time.

For the bold:
This is the way of things, naturally. The eighth console generation started strong on the microtransaction front, showcasing an industry determined to naturalize fee-to-pay elements and bore us with their inclusion enough to where nobody cares to protest.

And as for the way these seem to affect the game;
Fortunately, these microtransactions don’t infect the main reason anybody is buying a Deus Ex game. The single-player mode isn’t hawking anything at you, at least it wasn’t during my 30+ hours of playtime, and hasn’t sold out its dignity like Dead Space 3 did when it shoehorned a whole new economy into the experience.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Edit:
The author doesn't touch anything how mandatory the microtransactions are or if you need to buy them at all.
The good news, of course, is that only Breach has been negatively affected, and Breach is negativity incarnate to begin with. Hell, I can’t even play Breach right now. As of this morning, it keeps crashing during startup and I’m not particularly sad about it.

I'd also like to add this funny part.

One weird note – unless my eyes deceive me, the microtransactions are more expensive on Xbox One. The 500 chip pack flogs XBO users for $39.95 as opposed to $29.99.

The same is true for a lot of the prices. 1,000 credits is $0.99 on PS4, but $1.40 on Xbox One. It can’t be tax considering the huge markup.
GG Square
giphy.gif

Vintage

To be fair, Jim's been pretty clear on his stance with microtransactions in full retail games in previous videos. He has gone into detail about when it is "shite" and whatnot.

I also despise microtransactions in full priced games, but I don't see "Structure seems like f2p game" as a solid reason for such a hate-filled article. At should have explained how it impacts this game and how it's different from many other games.

Edit:
@Tecnniqe:
How does that quote touch on microtransaction balance? This one I mean:
The good news, of course, is that only Breach has been negatively affected, and Breach is negativity incarnate to begin with. Hell, I can’t even play Breach right now. As of this morning, it keeps crashing during startup and I’m not particularly sad about it.

Hey, I've been hearing reports the pre-order items are one time consumables - So what I've been hearing is too not use them on your first playthrough, and then use them all for a new game on I Never Asked For This and make a save at the start to start all new games from if you care.

Lister

Banned
Wow this game is flopping hard. Only 64 concurrent players on Steam!

Seriously, when the floodgates open, what do you guys think it will top at. Somehow, I think this game, which certianly would deserve a lot more players IMHO, probably won't top No Man's Sky...

Sadness.

exoddus21

Neo Member

Seriously, when the floodgates open, what do you guys think it will top at. Somehow, I think this game, which certianly would deserve a lot more players IMHO, probably won't top No Man's Sky...

Sadness.

The game isn't out on Steam yet. One hour and 15 minutes until unlock.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Sadness.

I don't care if this game reaches 5% of NMS had at peak cause at least this game got content that last over 3 hours and don't just change pissfilter while also not lying to your face and hyping the game and its non existent content up for years.

I figure it will hit around lower dual K figures.

Lister

Banned
Is there a stat screen where I can see stuff like alarms triggered/people killed?

I was hoping for tha,t and even better, a multiplayer screen wher eI could see how my friends perform in particular missions too (hitman style!). That would have been cool :(

Lister

Banned
I don't care if this game reaches 5% of NMS had at peak cause at least this game got content that last over 3 hours and don't just change pissfilter while also not lying to your face and hyping the game and its non existent content up for years.

Well, I don't care either, I just would love to live ina world where the Deus Ex's o fthe world pulled in 250k+ and the unfinished messes/lies of the world didn't :(

Nzyme32

Who are these weirdos sinking £25 into packs of credits for mediocre tacked-on online modes though?

Probably no one, but I'm sure some arrogant kids will get their folks to pay for stuff. I've heard mention that there is also the option for microtransactions within the main story itself and not just breach.

Did you just change your avatar from Destiny to metal gear because you realised what you just said about NMS can be applied to Destiny as well?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Did you just change your avatar from Destiny to metal gear because you realised what you just said about NMS can be applied to Destiny as well?

No because I had my avatar to honor DGAFs fallen comrade for ~24 hours as I figured it would be a nice gesture on my part to show support.

Sitting here in a publix parking lot waiting for my boss to arrive so I can start working proper, but he is already an hour and change late. Maybe I should start invoicing him for this wasted time...
I nust wanna go home and play vidya gaem.

Jb

Is there really no way to pull out your last equipped weapon without using the radial menu? I know it's L2 + square to holster a gun but it doesn't work the other way around.
On the topic of weird controls having to hold L3 and R3 to access your gear and augs is a little awkward. I guess I'll try the other control schemes to see if they make more sense for me.

You should care if you want another mainline Deus Ex from the devs.

Nav

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm currently out of the country and the only thing I have with me is my rmbp which has an AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB with 16GB of ram. Any point of me getting this game with my current setup that allows me to enjoy the game? Note, I'm running bootcamp.

Thanks!

Does I Never Asked For This difficulty work similar to Diablo 3 hardcore mode? So you can just back up your save to the cloud from time to time to prevent losing all your progress?

dreamfall

Just waiting for the Steam unlock! Need it in my veins! Just finished replaying the boss fight with Yelena in HR - oooeeee, hope nothing like that exists in Mankind Divided. Still, I have to admit it was fun switching to lethal rounds for those boss fights!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
are you sure I thought 18:00 CEST?

Yeah, "In approximately one hour" used to be the final phase of Steam's countdown timer, however it now changes to "In approximately less than one hour". So, "In approximately one hour" is actually "In approximately two hours", and so on.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
are you sure I thought 18:00 CEST?

Erm. My Steam counter went from 2 hours to 1 hour, an hour ago on the dot. And from 3 to 2 an hour before that.

Now it went from 1 hour to "Approximately less than 1 hour".

Ugh.

Yeah, "In approximately one hour" used to be the final phase of Steam's countdown timer, however it now changes to "In approximately less than one hour". So, "In approximately one hour" is actually "In approximately two hours", and so on.

What a fucking cock tease.

Vlodril

Well for me it said it would have unlocked now from yesterday up to this morning i checked. now i still see less than one hour. thanks steam.

nOoblet16

Man there's quite a few stuff that I missed, most of them aren't too substantial but it's interesting that I never bothered to go to a lot of houses.
Take a note people, enter or break into every house, shop, safe, door you see in this game. lol

Also something interesting here, in my first playthrough I actually missed getting one of the early side quests, but the funny thing is at some point later in the game I did manage to complete the goal of that side quest without realising what I was doing. But since I never knew what it was Jense never knew what he did either.

Is there a stat screen where I can see stuff like alarms triggered/people killed?

Unfortunately no, and I think that's my biggest gripe with the game.
If you want to ghost through the level then you need to go through them without a single "hostile" status, this is not alarms but rather if an enemy has seen you.

The problem with this is that the hostile status can kick in unexpectedly and very easily, especially if they are in caution mode. Suppose there is an enemy in caution mode and you shoot them with a stun gun from front/side or use a gas grenade or your tesla shot then they turn hostile right before they are going down. And even if you kill them later it counts as 1 hostile alert. I'd have appreciated some stats on this matter tbh.

Top Bottom