• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

I have 8 gigs of RAM too, but I've been doing worse. I wouldn't get performance issues, but Windows would pop low memory warnings and eventually crash the game if I transitioned between areas too much. This meant crashing every 20-40 minutes in Prague since there are so many level transitions there. Crashes were often triggered when I opened the menu.

I managed to get my computer to 12 gigs of ram just now, and Prague ran flawlessly for the past few hours. I guess the game really doesn't like running on 8 gigs.

Fortunately, so far the game never crash for me, but the memory leak is real. I've also found many other similar reports from Steam discussion boards. 8GB minimum is certainly misleading, or the game is just not well optimized.

jorimt

Does the game really has memory leak problem?

I feel like after playing more than an hour or two, the game starts to make a massive hit in performance. The most obvious one is opening/closing menu and Adam's OS which takes like 5 seconds compared to instantaneous before it's happening. The game starts to stutter like crazy as well, especially in crowded areas. Restarting the game solves everything, and that does smell like memory leak to me.

8GB. But it shouldn't a problem especially when they stated that 8GB is the minimum.

I have no other programs/browser running in the background either.

Fortunately, so far the game never crash for me, but the memory leak is real. I've also found many other similar reports from Steam discussion boards. 8GB minimum is certainly misleading, or the game is just not well optimized.

I've got 16 GB, and average in the 9 GBs of system RAM usage in this game. I've seen it spike to 10.5 GB during longer play sessions. Just because the minimum requirement says 8 GB (which probably only counts on lower settings and resolutions), doesn't guarantee you a flawless experience, let alone stability, at higher settings.

Not having enough system RAM can mimic a real memory leak. Also, you're GPU's memory (2 GB) is extremely low for today's standards. Even at medium texture settings, I would monitor your VRAM usage. If at any point it maxes out or goes over, it dips into your system RAM, and then into your pagefile. This can cause full on halts and stuttering, as you described.

If you don't plan on upgrading your RAM any time soon, the only thing you can try is increasing the size of your pagefile, if you haven't already.

RAM is one of the cheapest upgrades you can make. I suggest getting another 8 GB stick that matches your current stick(s), or a new 16 GB kit (at least 12 GB), if possible.

I've got 16 GB, and average in the 9 GBs of system RAM usage in this game. I've seen it spike to 10.5 GB during longer play sessions. Just because the minimum requirement says 8 GB (which probably only counts on lower settings and resolutions), doesn't guarantee you a flawless experience, let alone stability, at higher settings.

Not having enough system RAM can mimic a real memory leak. Also, you're GPU's memory (2 GB) is extremely low for today's standards. Even at medium texture settings, I would monitor your VRAM usage. If at any point it maxes out or goes over, it dips into your system RAM, and then into your pagefile. This can cause full on halts and stuttering, as you described.

If you don't plan on upgrading your RAM any time soon, the only thing you can try is increasing the size of your pagefile, if you haven't already.

RAM is one of the cheapest upgrades you can make. I suggest getting another 8 GB stick that matches your current stick(s), or a new 16 GB kit (at least 12 GB), if possible.

That's weird. So the minimum requirements is for people to play the game only for an hour? Have there been similar cases in the past?

Vram usage is mostly hovering between 80-90% as I'm only using medium-high settings. The only thing that is usually capped is my cpu, especially in crowded areas. Here's the thing, IF my PC can't really handle the game, why is it running smoothly until the memory leak happens? It never happened to me before in any other games. If my PC can't handle the game with higher settings, it'll show from the beginning. All I need to do is tinker down the settings and I'm all set for the rest of the game, in the exception of Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam's game patching system has been FUBAR for many years, it works fine if you only play your games rarely but if you play them a lot on release and demand patches on day of release it's always fucked and I wish Valve would fix it.

This is only time I can recall Steam refusing to download a patch across many content servers since they stopped being manually updated. I'd guess something went awry with the refresh.

Drogean

Created a HD Bricks texture mod using the Special K tool

Details here

MXD3slp.png

2HxuhNV.png

jorimt

That's weird. So the minimum requirements is for people to play the game only for an hour? Have there been similar cases in the past?

Vram usage is mostly hovering between 80-90% as I'm only using medium-high settings. The only thing that is usually capped is my cpu, especially in crowded areas. Here's the thing, IF my PC can't really handle the game, why is it running smoothly until the memory leak happens? It never happened to me before in any other games. If my PC can't handle the game with higher settings, it'll show from the beginning. All I need to do is tinker down the settings and I'm all set for the rest of the game, in the exception of Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

Because Mankind Divided caches both VRAM and system RAM over a period of time (as do a lot of recent games). You're going to be using less system RAM when you start the game, and it will build. RAM usage also depends on what area you are in the game; it's not at a constant, static number.

I hate to say it, but if there were a real memory leak, then everyone would be experiencing it, no matter the amount of system RAM they had. And this isn't the case at all in Mankind Divided thus far. Before the patches, Batman: Arkham Knight had what could be considered a real memory leak. Even after I upgraded from 8 GB to 16 GB of system RAM, the system RAM and VRAM climbed near infinitely regardless. You said yourself in your first post that your system was 6 years old. I'm sorry, but expecting a game like this to run on your 6 year old system without any issues, at settings that are probably higher than the minimum recommended specs are based on, is simply unrealistic. Before you blame the game, I would put everything at low and play for a few hours, and see if you experience the same issue.

SimplexPL

8GB is minimum requirements. The devs themselves said, that minimum requirements are for playing in 720p at low preset.

we aim to give you an average of 30 fps, at 1280*720 resolution, but this is at the low quality preset

lifa-cobex

Just downloaded the latest patch and it's crashing on load screens between hubs.

Me or anyone else getting this issue?

edit: should also say I've had no prior issues at all.

Fledz

Just upgraded from 6 to 12GB RAM. Load times are way better now.

I also switched cloth physics off and my stuttering with the 970 has disappeared. Smooth as butter now.

ed- Installing new drivers now. Will report back if my PC explodes.

ISee

Just upgraded from 6 to 12GB RAM. Load times are way better now.

I also switched cloth physics off and my stuttering with the 970 has disappeared. Smooth as butter now.

Cloth physics mainly cost CPU power. Just saying.

w0s

So I moved this game from my ssd to my hdd that I offload games to once I beat them if I just want to jump back in for a second. The load times were considerably worse obviously but man I also found that messages would pop up and not leave and way worse frame rate in prague. Needless to say, I moved it back to the ssd to finish my second and third play through.

Because Mankind Divided caches both VRAM and system RAM over a period of time (as do a lot of recent games). You're going to be using less system RAM when you start the game, and it will build. RAM usage also depends on what area you are in the game; it's not at a constant, static number.

I hate to say it, but if there were a real memory leak, then everyone would be experiencing it, no matter the amount of system RAM they had. And this isn't the case at all in Mankind Divided thus far. Before the patches, Batman: Arkham Knight had what could be considered a real memory leak. Even after I upgraded from 8 GB to 16 GB of system RAM, the system RAM and VRAM climbed near infinitely regardless. You said yourself in your first post that your system was 6 years old. I'm sorry, but expecting a game like this to run on your 6 year old system without any issues, at settings that are probably higher than the minimum recommended specs are based on, is simply unrealistic. Before you blame the game, I would put everything at low and play for a few hours, and see if you experience the same issue.

Damn, you're right. Lowering the settings to low preset does wonder. Everything is instaneous again, even after the heavy stutter happening. But low is too ugly so I tried medium custom at 900p and so far so good. I guess I'll have to settle with it.

Interestingly, I've played several AAA games in the past couple years and I've never seen anything like this. Like, this is the first time that my PC is RAM limited to run a game. While my PC can still run these games at 30-60fps, I always lock them at 30fps for more consistent performance. RotTR, while dropped below 30fps in certain open world spots, ran good overall on high settings with medium textures. The same goes for Batman AK as well, surprisingly. It was basically a locked 30fps for me except in high-speed batmobile actions. The Witcher 3 ran at high settings with only drops in Novigrad. Fallout 4 was pretty much locked 30fps. In all of those games, the only thing that is capped is my cpu, which I'm perfectly understand. That recent Forza game on Win Store is not a problem for my PC either. MGSV was no contest in terms of performance, 60fps. But Deus Ex, it really is something else.

Upgrading ram is indeed cheaper compared to others, but I'd rather build a new PC later. I'd gladly pay full price for new games, but I'm always reluctant when it comes to spending my money for hardware. Maybe it sounds like I'm just stingy, but in fact I'll need burn 3 months worth of my salary to build a decent PC. Anyway, this is not the place for that. Ultimately, I just really want to push my PC to its very limit. I want to see how far it can go. I'm aiming for 7 years of PC life, like a console.

8GB is minimum requirements. The devs themselves said, that minimum requirements are for playing in 720p at low preset.

That's interesting. How about gtx 970 user with 8gb ram? Do they have to deal with 720p as well?

jorimt

Damn, you're right. Lowering the settings to low preset does wonder. Everything is instaneous again, even after the heavy stutter happening. But low is too ugly so I tried medium custom at 900p and so far so good. I guess I'll have to settle with it.

Interestingly, I've played several AAA games in the past couple years and I've never seen anything like this. Like, this is the first time that my PC is RAM limited to run a game. While my PC can still run these games at 30-60fps, I always lock them at 30fps for more consistent performance. RotTR, while dropped below 30fps in certain open world spots, ran good overall on high settings with medium textures. The same goes for Batman AK as well, surprisingly. It was basically a locked 30fps for me except in high-speed batmobile actions. The Witcher 3 ran at high settings with only drops in Novigrad. Fallout 4 was pretty much locked 30fps. In all of those games, the only thing that is capped is my cpu, which I'm perfectly understand. That recent Forza game on Win Store is not a problem for my PC either. MGSV was no contest in terms of performance, 60fps. But Deus Ex, it really is something else.

Upgrading ram is indeed cheaper compared to others, but I'd rather build a new PC later. I'd gladly pay full price for new games, but I'm always reluctant when it comes to spending my money for hardware. Maybe it sounds like I'm just stingy, but in fact I'll need burn 3 months worth of my salary to build a decent PC. Anyway, this is not the place for that. Ultimately, I just really want to push my PC to its very limit. I want to see how far it can go. I'm aiming for 7 years of PC life, like a console.

Glad it worked. I'm surprised you've run into so few issues with the games you listed. I had a GTX 770 4GB, and i7-4770k upon The Witcher 3's release, and had a hard time getting a locked 30 fps at High (not even maxed) settings. Even Mankind Divided pushes my 4.2 Ghz OCed i7-4770k to 100% usage at points.

Sad to say, "7 years of PC life, like a console," only applies to the 360/PS3 generation. Both PS4 and Xbox One came out just three years ago, and are due to get a complete hardware refresh within four years of their release. For instance, there has been a massive jump in GPU advances lately (though not CPUs for some reason). I bought my 980 Ti last year, and already the Pascal GTX Titan is up to 75% (!) more powerful than my card. You're were lucky to get a 25-30% performance increase for flagship cards per year in the very recent past.

That's interesting. How about gtx 970 user with 8gb ram? Do they have to deal with 720p as well?

Well, they're going to have more breathing room with 4 GB (effectively 3.5 GB) of VRAM. It also depends on the CPU they are paired with. There's no doubt they'll be able to run it better than you. However, minimum system requirements don't just rely on the GPU, they rely on the system components as a whole. So yes, even if you have a 970, but a weaker CPU and 8 GB of ram, you'll probably have to make compromises.

Fledz

You can also just OC it. My 930 is @ 4.2 Ghz and falls below 60 fps in like 2 games (Star Citizen and ARMA 3)

I'd have to stuff around with cooling then and I'm not sure I can be bothered at this point. This is the first game where it's noticeably bottlenecked and apart from Dishonored 2 and Civ 6, most of my other games to play are older games that I haven't got around to.

New patch is out (75.4MB):

[30-08-2016] PC Patch notes for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patch build 524.15

We have just released another PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.2 build 524.15. This patch focusses on critical issues that were reported by users during the week after release.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

The following fixes are in this patch:

• Fixed a crash during the subway loading scene.
• Fixed issue with loading a saved game while in cover and pressing [SPACE], causing Jensen to vault over cover.
• Fixed crash when leaving for Golem City.
• Fixed issues where the UI was offset at some aspect ratios, such as 21:9.
• Fixed issue where vibration was not working on gamepad.
• Fixed an issue where some keyboard language settings could cause the game to not launch.
- Some users had a workaround by creating a new user account or by changing their keyboard language setting.
• Fixed various issues related to Breach.
• Fixed issues related to Tobii EyeTracking.

Note about performance:

We are seeing people reporting performance issues when playing the game on Very High/Ultra settings with MSAA set to 2x, 4x, or 8x. We would like to emphasize again that these options are very demanding.
We recommend everyone that is running at recommended spec or higher to start with the High Preset and MSAA turned off, and then tweak the options to optimize your experience.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on older versions, we have made a Beta available on Steam, v1.0_build 524.6, v1.0_build 524.7 and v1.1_build 524.10, that can be used to switch back to previous versions.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

SimplexPL

Pity the graphics issues were not touched. Not even "we are aware of them". But I guess these are not as critical as the ones they fixed (i.e. crashes).

CHS bugged, very high AO bugged, very high shadows bugged, tesselation bugged (causes smear on faces with TAA enabled).

Newboi

Pity the graphics issues were not touched. Not even "we are aware of them". But I guess these are not as critical as the ones they fixed (i.e. crashes).

CHS bugged, very high AO bugged, very high shadows bugged, tesselation bugged (causes smear on faces with TAA enabled).

Did anyone here actually put in bug reports in the appropriate channels?

jorimt

Digital Foundry posted their Face-Off:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-deus-ex-mankind-divided-face-off

They caught the issues with CHS and Very High Shadows, but entirely missed the issues with Very High AO. They also don't speak too highly of TAA, and suggest you downsample instead (really though? a potentially massive performance hit with no sub-pixel or shader aliasing coverage over TAA, which has a 1-2 fps hit? sigh). They did mention that tessellation appears to do nothing enabled, but missed the fact that it has smearing issues on NPC faces. They also missed the fact that the lens flare is entirely absent on the PC version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-deus-ex-mankind-divided-face-off

They caught the issues with CHS and Very High Shadows, but entirely missed the issues with Very High AO. They also don't speak too highly of TAA, and suggest you downsample instead (really though? a potentially massive performance hit with no sub-pixel or shader aliasing coverage over TAA, which has a 1-2 fps hit? sigh). They did mention that tessellation appears to do nothing enabled, but missed the fact that it has smearing issues on NPC faces. They also missed the fact that the lens flare is entirely absent on the PC version.
Tessellation applies to selected NPC faces as well as hoods, and hats (I know of numerous examples... one of which is the seller in Jensen's apartment building: his cap is tessellated)... and that is where it has the problem with TAA of course.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

And they are right.

Clearly not working... at all
5esa56r.gif

haikira

Just downloaded a 75.4MB patch on steam, but don't see anything in the update history noting what it is. The latest entry is from 26 Aug, for the mouse patch.

Anyone know what this one is?

EDIT: Oh, i see there's patch notes up from ten minutes ago on steam's new page for the game.

ISee

We have just released another PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.2 build 524.15. This patch focusses on critical issues that were reported by users during the week after release.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

The following fixes are in this patch:
• Fixed a crash during the subway loading scene.
• Fixed issue with loading a saved game while in cover and pressing [SPACE], causing Jensen to vault over cover.
• Fixed crash when leaving for Golem City.
• Fixed issues where the UI was offset at some aspect ratios, such as 21:9.
• Fixed issue where vibration was not working on gamepad.
• Fixed an issue where some keyboard language settings could cause the game to not launch (some users had a workaround by creating a new user account or by changing their keyboard language setting).
• Fixed various issues related to Breach.
• Fixed issues related to Tobii EyeTracking.

Note about performance:
We are seeing people reporting performance issues when playing the game on Very High/Ultra settings with MSAA set to 2x, 4x, or 8x. We would like to emphasize again that these options are very demanding.
We recommend everyone that is running at recommended spec or higher to start with the High Preset and MSAA turned off, and then tweak the options to optimize your experience.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on older versions, we have made a Beta available on Steam, v1.0_build 524.6, v1.0_build 524.7 and v1.1_build 524.10, that can be used to switch back to previous versions.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!

source

edit:beaten like an aug by the police

Fledz

I'm seeing great performance with the new driver but that was most likely because of the cloth physics I disabled earlier. They are stable on my 970 though, which is worth noting.

New patch is great, I can run up stairs. Yay!

jorimt

Ugh, I'm trying to educate some users in the latest Steam patch thread, and, according to them, 1. MSAA should have zero performance hit, 2. a 770 should be able to max it out at over 30 fps, 3. It has a serious memory leak, 4. It's performing badly, no matter the system or settings used, 5. It is an average looking game that doesn't justify the performance.

The amount of users that (in my opinion) should still be exclusively gaming on consoles is staggering. That, or someone should start a school that must be graduated before they can get into PC gaming :p

Oh well, I must be bored, because I'm fighting a losing battle. If the lack of informed users grows as steadily as it seems to now, PC gaming will be dead due to ignorant gamers murdering devs for lack of "optimization," and publishers for "micro-transactions" and "inflated prices."

EDIT: Oh who am I kidding, they won't get up, let alone go outside (I know I won't); we're safe for now.

dr_rus

I'm seeing great performance with the new driver but that was most likely because of the cloth physics I disabled earlier. They are stable on my 970 though, which is worth noting.

New patch is great, I can run up stairs. Yay!

This was fixed in prior patch I believe.

ISee

Ugh, I'm trying to educate some users in the latest Steam patch thread, and, according to them, 1. MSAA should have zero performance hit, 2. a 770 should be able to max it out at over 30 fps, 3. It has a serious memory leak, 4. It's performing badly, no matter the system or settings used, 5. It is an average looking game that doesn't justify the performance.

The amount of users that (in my opinion) should still be exclusively gaming on consoles is staggering. That, or someone should start a school that must be graduated before they can get into PC gaming :p

Oh well, I must be bored, because I'm fighting a losing battle. If the lack of informed users grows as steadily as it seems to now, PC gaming will be dead due to ignorant gamers murdering devs for lack of "optimization," and publishers for "micro-transactions" and "inflated prices."

EDIT: Oh who am I kidding, they won't get up, let alone go outside (I know I won't); we're safe for now.

Don't forget the usual: Witcher 3 runs and looks better therefore 'insert game name here' is a bad port. Battlefront too.

jorimt

There does appear to be a memory leak though.

Palm of the face. You tell me your specs, and your definition of a "memory leak," and I'll investigate the claims. So far, the majority of users claiming a memory leak have 8 GB of system RAM (and probably very low amounts of VRAM). And seeing as I use 9 GB of system RAM on average in this game, I see their problem, but that problem would not be a leak, it would be too little RAM. That, and as SimplexPL pointed out earlier, the devs apparently stated (regarding minimum recommended specs) "We aim to give you an average of 30 fps, at 1280*720 resolution, but this is at the low quality preset."

I would like a link to the source of that quote, however, for the sake of thoroughness.

Don't forget the usual: Witcher 3 runs and looks better therefore 'insert game name here' is a bad port. Battlefront too.

Ha, ughhh. One guy actually said that verbatim.

Quoting for new page.

Ok, here's a weird one: got a CTD when opening the quick inventory in the shooting range at TF29 HQ, and the game wouldn't restart (steam "preparing to launch" window would just stay there). Reset the computer and it took MUCH longer than usual to boot into Windows. Shut it down and restarted it, same deal.

I'm on my third try now, boot time has gone from 20 seconds to over a minute. Was working fine this morning. Game is installed on my system SSD. Seriously hope I'm not going to have to do a system reinstall.

Any idea what might be up?

(oh and inb4 "Denuvo killed my SSD")

E: did another test by going into BIOS and enabling the fast boot option, same thing. POST actually takes much longer since the crash, and the Win10 loading screen lasts about 30 seconds. I'm tearing my hair out here because I don't think even a reinstall will fix this if the trouble starts in POST.

jorimt

^ Regarding boot times on an SSD, I boot from one too. The only thing that has ever slowed down boot time (by that much) in my experience is installing any of the non-default (Microsoft) drivers for the Storage controllers and the System devices DRAM controller.

Had you done any driver updates when the issue occurred? It could have also happened automatically with a Windows update. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Take a look below:

c44c5210a606f4c357d86fea18bcea19.png

Note the un-collapsed entries. Do you have an "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" entry? If you don't, then you don't have the default storage drivers installed, and they will be listed under "Storage controllers" instead. Sometimes even the official ones can cause problems with certain configurations, including slower boot from an SSD. Have no idea why, but it can be the case.

dEvAnGeL

What exactly tessellation does in this game? All i ser is negative reactions but I'd like to know what exactly does to the game aside from blurring NPC faces?

Drogean

Palm of the face. You tell me your specs, and your definition of a "memory leak," and I'll investigate the claims. So far, the majority of users claiming a memory leak have 8 GB of system RAM (and probably very low amounts of VRAM). And seeing as I use 9 GB of system RAM on average in this game, I see their problem, but that problem would not be a leak, it would be too little RAM. That, and as SimplexPL pointed out earlier, the devs apparently stated (regarding minimum recommended specs) "We aim to give you an average of 30 fps, at 1280*720 resolution, but this is at the low quality preset."

I would like a link to the source of that quote, however, for the sake of thoroughness.

Ha, ughhh. One guy actually said that verbatim.

not for nothing, but I also have 8GB ram, and 8GB video card - randomly checked to see how much RAM it was using on "Very high" textures and my ram utilization was at about 6GB. Meanwhile, I started to notice my page file drive (i have a HDD just for a page file) starting to thrash.

So my ram wasn't maxxed out yet my system was already starting to fill up the page file.

I continue to see people say similar things so there may be some truth to whatever memory issues this game has

Top Bottom