• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

What exactly tessellation does in this game? All i ser is negative reactions but I'd like to know what exactly does to the game aside from blurring NPC faces?

Look at the image above. It smooths out the edges or some NPC faces as well as a variety of hoods, clothing items, and caps in the game (on NPCs).

The ghosting is a side effect probably from being at the wrong stage when or after TAA is applied.

jorimt

not for nothing, but I also have 8GB ram, and 8GB video card - randomly checked to see how much RAM it was using on "Very high" textures and my ram utilization was at about 6GB. Meanwhile, I started to notice my page file drive (i have a HDD just for a page file) starting to thrash.

So my ram wasn't maxxed out yet my system was already starting to fill up the page file.

I continue to see people say similar things so there may be some truth to whatever memory issues this game has

It did the same thing in games when I had 8 GB; the pagefile would be dipped into before the system RAM ran out, that's just how it works, and that's why I don't have one on my main drive. Even with 16 GB of RAM, it tries to borrow way too early.

This doesn't mean there is a memory leak.

Also, if you have Windows 10, Windows caches and reserves a certain amount of system RAM over time. The main number doesn't always reflect what is actually being used, at least if you're looking in Task Manager.

M2C3

Neo Member
The Overwatch SLI bits are still better than the updated one's in the new Nvidia driver today. It also seems my CPU usage across each core is up to about 65% on a 6700k which has resulted in big performance boost. Or the new patch has helped a lot. Will test more later today

lmimmfn

Yep, will be due an upgrade next year. Did a patch job with the new 970 a few months ago and now this new RAM. Should be ok for another 6-12 months, at which point it's time to do a full refresh.
Replace the 930 with a second hand $80 6 core Xeon x5650 and overclock it to 4.4ghz you'll be good for a lot longer than 12 months :)

dmr87

How accurate is the benchmark when it comes to actually playing the game? Haven't started yet just done some graphics fiddling.

ISee

How accurate is the benchmark when it comes to actually playing the game? Haven't started yet just done some graphics fiddling.

I'm now nearly done with the game and so far nothing was as demanding as the benchmark scene. The difference between the benchmark performance and game play is huge, but granted some in engine cutscenes can be a bit more demanding.

dmr87

I'm now nearly done with the game and so far nothing was as demanding as the benchmark scene. The difference between the benchmark performance and game play is huge, but granted some in engine cutscenes can be a bit more demanding.

Thanks, what I wanted to hear.

^ Regarding boot times on an SSD, I boot from one too. The only thing that has ever slowed down boot time (by that much) in my experience is installing any of the non-default (Microsoft) drivers for the Storage controllers and the System devices DRAM controller.

Had you done any driver updates when the issue occurred? It could have also happened automatically with a Windows update. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Take a look below:

c44c5210a606f4c357d86fea18bcea19.png

Note the un-collapsed entries. Do you have an "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" entry? If you don't, then you don't have the default storage drivers installed, and they will be listed under "Storage controllers" instead. Sometimes even the official ones can cause problems with certain configurations, including slower boot from an SSD. Have no idea why, but it can be the case.

Thanks, I'll check that out! But I can confirm that no updates happened in the background yesterday before the issue started, and that also wouldn't explain why POST has gotten so much longer...

Wounded

Maybe this is a known issue and I've missed it but has anyone seen that in SLI the game has noticeably worse image quality than single GPU configs?

Here's a screenshot comparing (sorry not in the exact same position but you can see what I mean), the is significantly more aliasing etc in the SLI picture and something very odd is going on around the scope of the weapon.

SLI:

DfGDTUi.jpg

No SLI:

gkbuW00.jpg

I changed absolutely no settings but it looks very different.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Digital Foundry posted their Face-Off:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-deus-ex-mankind-divided-face-off

They caught the issues with CHS and Very High Shadows, but entirely missed the issues with Very High AO. They also don't speak too highly of TAA, and suggest you downsample instead (really though? a potentially massive performance hit with no sub-pixel or shader aliasing coverage over TAA, which has a 1-2 fps hit? sigh). They did mention that tessellation appears to do nothing enabled, but missed the fact that it has smearing issues on NPC faces. They also missed the fact that the lens flare is entirely absent on the PC version.
Honestly, I had just a few hours to do the entire write-up scratch so, yeah, I apologize for missing a couple of those issues. I try to investigate all of that normally but didn't have the time.

I love the TAA personally and would not downsample - it's only a suggestion based on the fact that most people seem to hate blur with a passion. The TAA and sharpening are both inferior to Doom, I feel.

For some reason, tessellation doesn't seem to work at all on my system either - I do not get artefacting but I'm not seeing the smoother capes in the screen above. It just doesn't do anything.

dEvAnGeL

Honestly, I had just a few hours to do the entire write-up scratch so, yeah, I apologize for missing a couple of those issues. I try to investigate all of that normally but didn't have the time.

I love the TAA personally and would not downsample - it's only a suggestion based on the fact that most people seem to hate blur with a passion. The TAA and sharpening are both inferior to Doom, I feel.

For some reason, tessellation doesn't seem to work at all on my system either - I do not get artefacting but I'm not seeing the smoother capes in the screen above. It just doesn't do anything.
why did you post the article if it wasn't "complete", its an honest question, not taking any shots at you, had no idea you had a time frame forced on you for faceoffs

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
why did you post the article if it wasn't "complete", its an honest question, not taking any shots at you, had no idea you had a time frame forced on you for faceoffs
...because I thought it was? That's really it. Sometimes I miss things, simple as that. What's there is pretty complete, I think, but missing a couple extra bugs.

SimplexPL

I love the TAA personally and would not downsample - it's only a suggestion based on the fact that most people seem to hate blur with a passion.
I can't fathom why so many people prefer jaggies and pixel shimmering/crawling to a bit blurred image. Luckily (for me) developers are starting to embrace temporal AA. Those who hate it with a passion can always disable it and stop complaining.

Also, nice to meet you, John. Keep up the good work at Digital Foundry and give my compliments to Richard :)

Chipmungus

Neo Member
Maybe this is a known issue and I've missed it but has anyone seen that in SLI the game has noticeably worse image quality than single GPU configs?

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say SLI is disabling TAA.

If DXMD's TAA relies on data from the past n frames, and GPU1 only has access to the 'even' frames, while GPU2 only has access to the 'odd' frames, the two technologies are incompatible. If that's the case, they've made the right decision because the other choice means no multiGPU support (like tons of recent titles)

jorimt

Thanks, I'll check that out! But I can confirm that no updates happened in the background yesterday before the issue started, and that also wouldn't explain why POST has gotten so much longer...

It actually can make POST longer. In my case, it would wait to read all drives, instead of just the boot drive; I'd hear my secondary 5 TB HDD whir up on POST if I had the official Intel/motherboard storage drivers installed, but not if I had the default Microsoft drivers for storage controllers installed; then it would boot at the correct speed.

Again though, my issue may not be your issue. What you're describing is unusual.

I changed absolutely no settings but it looks very different.

I don't believe any AA solutions with a temporal element work properly with SLI configurations. That's probably the difference you're seeing.

Thanks for the clarification. To clarify myself, I've been following DF for years, and find your Face-Off articles very informative.

Glad to hear your stance on TAA; it's often criminally underrated. And I agree, the in-game sharpening is horrible. Doom got it right. This game needs a sharpening slider, period. As for tessellation, I haven't actually tested if it does anything on my setup either, though as @Dictator93 showed, it can do something apparently.

The only reason I was at all disappointed by what your article left out, is that you're one of the best chances we have of exposure (and hopeful amendment) of these issues. I'm not sure if Nixxes are already aware of these visual issues (if they are, they haven't said), but if they aren't, it's not likely they are lurking NeoGaf performance threads on a regular basis.

Wounded

You were right about the anti aliasing, I just switched it off in single GPU mode and it looks as it did in SLI, so I have to choose between much nicer image quality or better performance I guess.

Thanks all.

jorimt

Okay, I just met
Marchenko
. His bald head makes a good example of tessellation in action.

I managed to capture a frame for frame comparison (thanks to the pause menu ending where it does, and the fact that settings can be changed instantly) of the top of his head.

P5DN.png

Tessellation off.

eJPV.png

Tessellation on.

As can be seen, it does a nice job rounding out the edges on his head, but of course, creates a horrible smear in motion.

So far, it looks like it has a tiny performance impact when enabled; maximum 2 frames (at least in this and one other scene I tested). I'm not sure if that's because the effect isn't working as it should now, or if tessellation calculations aren't very demanding on my specific Maxwell-based GPU.

It would be nice to hear something official from Nixxes on these graphical issues at higher presets.

Is anyone else getting a massive input delay in this game? I just installed the latest patch and the new Nvidia driver and now the game is unplayable.

Edit: I should say that it feels like really bad v-sync delay, which I haven't experienced for ages due to G-sync being wonderful, so this is kind of a shock.

Edit 2: Fixed it. I forgot that I had installed the Special K mod but hadn't actually launched the game with it yet. There's a huge chance that I set it up incorrectly and that was causing the delay but either way, I uninstalled that mod and now my game feels normal again.

It actually can make POST longer. In my case, it would wait to read all drives, instead of just the boot drive; I'd hear my secondary 5 TB HDD whir up on POST if I had the official Intel/motherboard storage drivers installed, but not if I had the default Microsoft drivers for storage controllers installed; then it would boot at the correct speed.

Again though, my issue may not be your issue. What you're describing is unusual.

Just checked, and I have the Intel drivers. Will simply uninstalling them from device manager and rebooting install the default MS ones? What's weird is that I've been using these drivers all along but POST and boot only started getting longer after the DXMD crash...

I can't fathom why so many people prefer jaggies and pixel shimmering/crawling to a bit blurred image. Luckily (for me) developers are starting to embrace temporal AA. Those who hate it with a passion can always disable it and stop complaining.

Also, nice to meet you, John. Keep up the good work at Digital Foundry and give my compliments to Richard :)

I use to hate TXAA a few days ago until someone mentioned they injected lumasharpen and I saw it eliminated the blurry faces which was my main gripe. I actually prefer that TXAA+ slight Lumasharpen combo over SMAA now. Only thing left is to get nixxes to remove that film grain.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Quoting for new page.

The reason the game wouldn't launch right after you quit it is because steam would have been uploading the save files to the cloud and a game won't l launch when this is happening. If you get a network monitor you can see this happen every time you close a steam game that has big save files. As for the other problem does the computer work fine once Windows is loaded? If so don't worry about it.

The reason the game wouldn't launch right after you quit it is because steam would have been uploading the save files to the cloud and a game won't l launch when this is happening. If you get a network monitor you can see this happen every time you close a steam game that has big save files. As for the other problem does the computer work fine once Windows is loaded? If so don't worry about it.

Seems to be working OK so far, yeah, but going from 20s boot to 1+ minute boot is annoying as hell, especially on a rig that's 4 months old.

And I can also confirm that the game REALLY doesn't like you messing around with your GPU. It's not just OCing: I got a few instances of graphics corruption this morning by simply raising the power and temp limits in Afterburner. Reset them to default and it's been smooth sailing since.

ltr

Neo Member
And I can also confirm that the game REALLY doesn't like you messing around with your GPU. It's not just OCing: I got a few instances of graphics corruption this morning by simply raising the power and temp limits in Afterburner. Reset them to default and it's been smooth sailing since.

What GPU do you have? I'm running it fine with an OC'd GTX 970.

As someone using a heavily OC'd Titan X (Maxwell), I have yet to experience any sort of graphical corruption or otherwise when OC'd or not.

Perhaps, like EatChildren, the corruption you have seen is a driver related issue with the 10 series`?

As someone using a heavily OC'd Titan X (Maxwell), I have yet to experience any sort of graphical corruption or otherwise when OC'd or not.

Perhaps, like EatChildren, the corruption you have seen is a driver related issue with the 10 series`?

Happened on both of the latest drivers. Probably Pascal-only then?

Newboi

Happened on both of the latest drivers. Probably Pascal-only then?

I have my 1080 overclocked and haven't seen any corruption in Deus Ex so far. Overclocking stability is wildly dependent on your card though. The one thing I have seen that might be universally 1080 related is memory overclocking. At least for the EVGA 1080 FTW, guaranteed game stability seems to fly out the door once you start to overclock the memory. I don't know if EVGA's GDDR5X memory is sourced from a different place than other AIBs, but at least these cards don't take memory overclocks very well. I could run benchmarks all day with +500 on the memory, but I would get random CTDs or progressive graphical corruption in newer games (especially memory bandwidth sensitive games).

Another interesting overclocking caveat I've run into recently is with resolution. I can run most game fine with a +100 core offset on my 1080FTW at 1440p or lower, but raising the resolution to 4K will start giving frequent CTDs or driver crashes with that offset. I had to back it off to +85. This overclocking offset seems small, but my card comes pre-overclocked already, so I'm still hitting between 2050 and 2114 on the core with GPU Boost 3.0.

Anyway, I've decided to turn Contact Harding Shadows off and lower AO to on due to other stating that these settings are currently bugged. The game still looks beautiful and runs extremely well at 1080p on my 1080.

After playing about an hour, my game crashes randomly with a "computer is low on memory" error. The only progs running in the background are steam, geforce experience, and msi afterburner. Any ideas? I'm running 16gb of ram and a pair of gtx 980ti cards.

SimplexPL

Depends on what you perceive as "decent". Medium textures (blurry), 30fps lock, medium details.

After playing about an hour, my game crashes randomly with a "computer is low on memory" error. The only progs running in the background are steam, geforce experience, and msi afterburner. Any ideas? I'm running 16gb of ram and a pair of gtx 980ti cards.

Did you disable page file?

The frame pacing is real weird at times in fullscreen (borderless windowed) mode. I'm seeing it jump from 19 to 38 back and forth while I'm standing still and the FPS isn't really fluctuating. Changing to exclusive fullscreen seems to fix this completely.

I've put about 16 hours in so far and it's been a pretty great experience overall. No crashes yet (knock on wood), and performance has been solid (~35-55 fps depending on the scene) considering that I'm running it at 1440p on High + tessellation with a 970. I could turn some stuff down to make it more consistent but I'm not playing it like a shooter and G-sync makes everything feel nice, so I'm happy.

ButchCat

I have a GTX 970 i5 4690k and a PS4 and I'm undecided with which version I should go with. If I target 30 fps will I be able to run the game on ultra?

Profanity

I have a GTX 970 i5 4690k and a PS4 and I'm undecided with which version I should go with. If I target 30 fps will I be able to run the game on ultra?

What resolution? If it's 1080p, you'll easily do ultra at 30. Drop it down to a mix of high/very high and you'll likely hit 60.

Top Bottom