• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided PS4 Pro performance patch just went up

d9b

Banned
Hub area in initial Prague seems smooth too!

d9b_1.jpg

Regginator

How was its story cut in half? Serious question. I didnt feel that way. Sure it wasnt the best main story (although i thought it was fine but with a crap final boss).

Anyway, really loved the game and will continue my second play through at somepoint on my pro. Hopefully the next dlc mission will come out soon to.

You didn't think the story ended abruptly? Going after
Marchenko
was obviously just a side step towards the main story, Adam and we (as the players) already knew he was just a small pawn in the game. And then when Jensen talks about going after the
truly influential Illuminati people
, you feel it's a start to Act 2, then all of a sudden... you see an insulting "YOU'VE UNLOCKED NEW GAME+!!!" pop up while
fake Eliza
reads several lazy news stories that acknowledges some of your choices during the game. To make matters worse, after that,
Adam and Vega
talk about how to continue, but we don't actually get to do that. That's literally saying "yo, we have much more stuff for you, but we decided the wrap it up and end the game here in order to make a sequel you're gonna buy regardless".

As dramatic as it sound, this is something that I won't forgive Square in the near future. What was definitely going to be one of my favourite games of all time has turned out into a great-playing game with an underwhelming main story (which should be the CORE of a Deus Ex game) and nothing more.

Also, as for the final fight, I feel the exact opposite. The final boss was amazing in terms of player freedom, the very thing that makes Deus Ex what it is. Such a shame it was the only real boss fight in the game (two if you include side quests). It's just that the game literally ends right after it that makes this fight end on a low note to most people.

loving this trend of in days or weeks games getting fixed performance. I still remenber skyrim ps3 that they took like 6 months to fix or witcher 3 on ps4 that took them months to improve a little the framerate problems also.

Hope this trend continues.

Meh, skyrim remastered still needs fixing as it crashes too much for my taste, but I get what you're saying (wanted an excuse to rant).

david-sarif-2007.jpg

"Aaaadam there's a new patch out you better get to work on analyzing it what the hell is taking so long what were you thinking Aaaadam I need results not excuses, Aaaadam."
I'm reading this in Human Revolutions' David Sarif's voice, of course. The voice actor for him in Mankind Divided is so forgettable.

Marchenko
was obviously just a side step towards the main story, Adam and we (as the players) already knew he was just a small pawn in the game. And then when Jensen talks about going after the
, you feel it's a start to Act 2, then all of a sudden... you see an insulting "YOU'VE UNLOCKED NEW GAME+!!!" pop up while
fake Eliza
reads several lazy news stories that acknowledges some of your choices during the game. To make matters worse, after that,
Adam and Vega
talk about how to continue, but we don't actually get to do that. That's literally saying "yo, we have much more stuff for you, but we decided the wrap it up and end the game here in order to make a sequel you're gonna buy regardless".

As dramatic as it sound, this is something that I won't forgive Square in the near future. What was definitely going to be one of my favourite games of all time has turned out into a great-playing game with an underwhelming main story (which should be the CORE of a Deus Ex game) and nothing more.

Also, as for the final fight, I feel the exact opposite. The final boss was amazing in terms of player freedom, the very thing that makes Deus Ex what it is. Such a shame it was the only real boss fight in the game (two if you include side quests). It's just that the game literally ends right after it that makes this fight end on a low note to most people.

Personally I think most game endings are poor, truncated, and often overly reliant on cliffhanger fodder. I wish more developers would put the same effort into game endings as they do on other aspects, though seeing how few people actually complete games I probably shouldn't be surprised.

I can't really say that I feel like DX:MD was any worse in that regard than most games that I play.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do you miss out on the code you are supposed to get if the person used it?

Yeah, probably. But I'm the least bit interested in any pre-release content. Unless any worthwhile single player DLC is announced soon, I'll probably sell or gift my copy to someone else.

Marchenko
fake Eliza
Adam and Vega

I honestly just thought it was typical of how most stories are done in games. Have the main focus smaller story and a load of higher level crap going in to lay the way for sequels. The story of the explosion/terrorists etc was told pretty directly.

To be fair this is a common story telling technique used in books and tv as well if it they think it will leed to sequels.

But i dont have high expectations when it comes to video game stories to be honest. Also i liked the length of the game. Seemed about right.

I literally just traded the damn thing in because the stuttering on the pro was killing me. Damn it!!!!! I'll buy it again, lol.
Here's a secret, if you traded it at GameStop they should be able to reverse the transaction. I think you have something like 7 days to do so. When I worked there, 7 years ago, this was detailed in there monthly planning book. Obviously it won't be advertised or anything but it's worth a shot and I'm not sure if it's by state or whatever.

Still some micro-stutters in the hub area but it's much better overall.

Hm. You were much harsher than I was about Dishonored 2's performance on Pro, yet I thought Deus Ex's performance was absolutely intolerable on base PS4.

How would you compare Deus Ex with Dishonored 2 now? Is performance comparable?

Nice, I still have my copy unopened from the Best Buy sale. Was waiting until I had more time to play since it had issues and I had just started Watch Dogs 2.

Hm. You were much harsher than I was about Dishonored 2's performance on Pro, yet I thought Deus Ex's performance was absolutely intolerable on base PS4.

How would you compare Deus Ex with Dishonored 2 now? Is performance comparable?

I'm fine with D2's performance on the Pro. What actually bothers me is its framepacing issue, low FOV and partially "broken" audio.

I haven't played enough of either on the Pro, but yeah I guess they're comparable. D2 might have the edge in performance with a better average frame-rate.

CGwizz

Meh, skyrim remastered still needs fixing as it crashes too much for my taste, but I get what you're saying (wanted an excuse to rant).

Because its bethesda , they dont care and prefer to lie to us than start to fix shit.

Ask that PR dude they have working for them on twitter about the issues and he probably tells you he never saw any issues on is copy of the game and its all good for him and its only one or 2 people experiencing them.

psychotron

Here's a secret, if you traded it at GameStop they should be able to reverse the transaction. I think you have something like 7 days to do so. When I worked there, 7 years ago, this was detailed in there monthly planning book. Obviously it won't be advertised or anything but it's worth a shot and I'm not sure if it's by state or whatever.

Thank you for the tip. I may just hit up my local redbox. Only $18.99, which is just a few bucks more than I got for my trade.

ISee

If you didn't buy Dishonored 2, you need to put your money where your mouth is. Or even better, put it in the cash register of a games store after buying Dishonored 2.

Monitoring the performance thread. Not buying till I hear about a patch improving things.

I'm fine with D2's performance on the Pro. What actually bothers me is its framepacing issue, low FOV and partially "broken" audio.

I haven't played enough of either on the Pro, but yeah I guess they're comparable. D2 might have the edge in performance with a better average frame-rate.
Ah right. No issues with audio/FOV/framepacing personally, but we all have our own priorities.

Monitoring the performance thread. Not buying till I hear about a patch improving things.

Ah, you want the PC version? I assumed you'd play on Pro because this thread is about the DE Pro patch. My bad.

Yeah, waiting for PC version of Dishonored 2 to improve is probably wise. Game is incredible, though!

Mankind Divided is half off on steam. Do I buy? Do I wait for definitive edition for the DLC? How substantial is that optional mission? I loved Human Revolution and kinda jonesin' for a new Deus Ex, but reviews are mixed on it.

The Pro keeps on delivering. The IQ was already godly, even though I'm 70% finished this will be nice to end the game on.

Really great game btw.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It does seem better, from what I've played, but the trouble spots in the hub are definitely still bad.

I noticed they re-enabled adaptive v-sync which lines up with my theory that forcing v-sync was causing frame-time spikes. Now that they returned to the old method, those spikes seem to have been eliminated.

Darn, I was hoping they'd also fix the Prague performance for regular PS4 too. The FPS drops when running around the large hub were bearable, but nowhere near what should be expected from a game. Hopefully this patch truly smooths out the performance in the city to a steady 30fps for those on the Pro, but honestly if they can't patch the performance on the regular PS4 then this patch comes as a disappointment.

Just wondering, did they acknowledge the problem before patch? Or did they just patch it?

Hoping a World of Final Fantasy gets something like this, they haven't even acknowledged it as far as I remember. :/

Just wondering, did they acknowledge the problem before patch? Or did they just patch it?

Hoping a World of Final Fantasy gets something like this, they haven't even acknowledged it as far as I remember. :/
World of Final Fantasy is a very low profile game outside of GAF, so I don't think DX receiving a patch means anything for WoFF. I wish Digital Foundry did one big video for all smaller games that experience issues like WoFF (messed up visuals), DQ Builders (suffers from stuttering on the pro) and possibly other games.

Robot Pants

Fuck yea this is just what I wanted to hear. I waited til I had the pro to play this game and I bought right before the all the stuff about it struggling on the pro came out.
So I was waiting patiently for it to be fixed and here we are. Perfect timing.

psychotron

It does seem better, from what I've played, but the trouble spots in the hub are definitely still bad.

I noticed they re-enabled adaptive v-sync which lines up with my theory that forcing v-sync was causing frame-time spikes. Now that they returned to the old method, those spikes seem to have been eliminated.

Any improvement over base PS4 in those trouble areas?

MANGOD

Banned
Only popped this on to see what the fuss was about so cant really comment on the frame rate yet but as the above poster noted. This game is clean as fook! Hdr seems pretty nice also

aieeeee

Just bought the game again myself new for £8. Wasn't impressed with the Xbox one version performance so I just stopped playing it. I look forward to playing this pro enhanced version. Hell I might even pay for the dlc too.

Top Bottom