• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer explains FFXV's "pre-beta" state: Playable start to finish, half polished

Is it bad that after all SE has pulled with this franchise since FF13 came out, I'm having a hard time giving a fuck? This coming from a die hard FF fan since the very first on NES. They've ruined this franchise, and I don't see 15 bringing it back, but if it's a decent game, I'll jump on board I guess.

PS, currently playing FF14 and it's a masterpiece. I wish they could take the talented people who make the MMO's and have them work on the single player games as well. They are the god tier people at SE.

Isn't it a tad...oxymoronic(?) to say they've ruined the franchise then say the latest game in the series is a masterpiece? I get your point though. I'm less excited for this being a Final Fantasy game and more for whatever it turns out to be, if I enjoy it.

possible dp

Bluenoser

Isn't it a tad...oxymoronic(?) to say they've ruined the franchise then say the latest game in the series is a masterpiece? I get your point though. I'm less excited for this being a Final Fantasy game and more for whatever it turns out to be, if I enjoy it.

possible dp

Yah sorry I threw that last statement in afterwards. I guess I meant the SP part of the franchise. So I didn't throw the whole company under the bus, I wanted to make sure to point out that FF14 is fantastic.

RK128

So now all they have to do is polish everything up, right :)?

If so, we might be seeing a Fall 2016 release being realistic rather than just hopeful; great news to hear :D.

Koozek

Not really - GTA V didn't have a ton of bugs at launch, Xenoblade X doesn't either. Skyrim and Fallout, sure, but that's because of the developer, not the type of game; even Bethesda's non-open-world games are buggy as crap :)
GTAV had 6 years of development with an insane budget (most expensive game of all-time after CoD:MW2 and before FFVII) and a dev team size of more than 1000 (compared to FFXV's ~300) plus a decade of experience with highly-dynamic, open-world action games. Xenoblade X is huge, but not really dynamic gameplay-wise and doesn't have a lot of physical interaction between characters and the environment, especially with its floaty, non-connecting MMO-combat, which makes collision and animation easier to handle. Overall it's technically and mechanically way less ambitious than FFXV and doesn't care about its jank. Also it had ~5 years of development, so 1-2 years more than FFXV.

QaaQer

It's an average hotbar MMO.

Which, if it is your first one and you get into it on a social level, can be magic. But like withe coke, every one after that gets less and less.

So, is it fair to say that this game has had a 2 year dev cycle? I mean from the time the new director took over?

Teletraan1

Banned
This will be the first mainline FF game I am not there for day 1. Nothing about it makes me want to buy it. I am glad they are finishing up with this one. They need to pull a FFIX with the next game and make it a love letter to fans who have loved this series from the start. Rather than chasing some fickle ARPG fans. See y'all in 8 years when the next game comes out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This will be the first mainline FF game I am not there for day 1. Nothing about it makes me want to buy it. I am glad they are finishing up with this one. They need to pull a FFIX with the next game and make it a love letter to fans who have loved this series from the start. Rather than chasing some fickle ARPG fans. See y'all in 8 years when the next game comes out.
Play 14 if you want a love letter to the fans.

Bluenoser

Play 14 if you want a love letter to the fans.

Since I re-subbed to FF14 in July, I have been constantly shocked by the fan service in this game. Off the top of my head, it's got FF1, FF3, FF4, FFV, FFVI, FFVII (too much IMO), FFVIII, FFXI.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Since I re-subbed to FF14 in July, I have been constantly shocked by the fan service in this game. Off the top of my head, it's got FF1, FF3, FF4, FFV, FFVI, FFVII (too much IMO), FFVIII, FFXI.
Most importantly it has 12, which makes sense when a large amount of its staff worked on the game.

Bluenoser

Most importantly it has 12, which makes sense when a large amount of its staff worked on the game.

FF12? I'm seriously drawing a blank. Are you referring to
the Garlean empire and their likeness to the bad guys in 12?

Edit: Oh wait, you may be referring to the
clan centurio hunts as well.

Bluenoser

That and
Zodiark and the entire Ascian lore.
Also sky pirates.

Wow I need to play FFXII again - I didn't get the
Ascian
connection at all.

Sky Pirates!! Too early I think, my memory is fuzzy. My title is sky pirate right now, so I should have remembered it.

They took sooooo much from FFXI though- a shameful amount really. But I love it.

benzy

Official translation from the FFXV forum moderator. (More or less the same as what Raven said, but they confirmed they've entered the final development stage)
https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/816/development-info-about-ffxv-pre-beta

"Nice to meet you all, My name is Kitade Satoshi and I am a programmer. I am mainly responsible for maintaining the development environment for FFXV. Today I would like to explain some more about the pre-beta version of the game that we talked about on Twitter a little while ago.

The term “pre-beta version” refers to the product of development on FFXV that was put together in October this year. We have managed to achieve two things with this pre-beta:

1.) We have managed to get the game in a state where you can play the whole thing through from the opening to the ending. By doing this, all the dev. staff are now able to get a shared impression of the overall game.

In short, we can now say that we have done the groundwork for finishing all the different areas of content in the game and the overall product itself to a high standard, polishing up each individual element and fine tuning the gameplay.
There are mechanics and elements that are still undergoing testing and are not implemented in the release code yet, but making it possible for all the dev. staff to grasp an overall image of the game is very important for the next stage of the development process.
As a programmer, I am now in a situation where I can concentrate on the process of optimization and will be pulling out all the stops to get the appeal of the finished product across to people as much as possible.

2.) We have polished the first half of the game to final retail quality and established the final feel of the gameplay.

By doing this we have been able to extrapolate how much work will be necessary in order to bring all aspects of the game, including the feel of the gameplay and the standard of the visuals, up to the final quality level we envisage.
At the same time we have been able to check how actual players will approach playing the game and the pace of their play by inviting valuable players from outside the company in for focus testing.
We have entered the final phase of development now, where the technology and people’s feelings and intuition come together, and this is where the programmers can really show their stuff. You can expect great things from us!

=====

One thing to note is that game development is very complicated and there's still quite a lot of work needed to be done on FFXV but the team are making good progress :)"

Exciting. Starting to finally feel real. I also like that they specifically note a large chunk of the polishing stage is working on pacing. Pacing in long rpgs is huge for me, and where some of SE's biggest missteps in the last decade have been.

Zhao_Yun

Since they added the Firion outfit in the veteran rewards, 2 is also represented now.

Stuart444

That and
Zodiark and the entire Ascian lore.

Wait, the
Ascians are a part of XII?
Fuck. I never got far into XII because I didn't like how it played but this got my interest. >.<

Guess I'll be playing it through sometime soon. Maybe if XII HD gets announced, I can wait for that and then play it through.

Banned
I thought alpha meant the game was finished from beginning to end and beta was used for optimization and polishing?

So it's essentially in beta is it not?

I'm media blacking out Persona as well, but FFXV is already not looking good to me, so seeing lots of it before it comes out leaves less disappointed.
Yeah, I'm far too skeptical of the game at this point to ever consider going in blind. I need to see a good bit of the game for myself.

dramatis

Jennipeg

I think this will be a 2017 release, this info coming from another studio would give me hope for 2016 but I can't see it with SE. That said, I was preparing myself for 2018 so this is an improvement! I really hope they can give us FFXII hd in the meantime, that game with trophies would be glorious.

This is great news.

It's been really annoying how GAF has covered the game - since one of the threads got edited to a "train crash" title it seemed to invite loads of drivebys that knew nothing about the game, and that's continued for every other thread.

Koozek

I've started with FFVII in '98, having played every FF (minus FFI-III) since, and for me "classic" FF is not necessarily medieval. The series has steam-/sci-fi-fantasy aestethics for twice as long now than it hasn't had them (20 vs. 10 years).
Also, if you were a fan you would want FF to expand its fan-base for its own sake, otherwise it will dwindle away slowly but surely. Even SE recognized this problem in the last years and is trying to combat it with FFXV. I'm happy they're trying not to become irrelevant to anyone but nostalgic 90's kids.

Besides, FFI-III veterans probably said the same about new FFVI players ("They're making it Active Time for the ADD SNES kids!!elf") :p Don't be the old man yelling. How should FF survive on 40-year-olds? Either you accept that its target-audience will always be teenagers/young adults (like we were when we fell in love with the series) or you just let it go. Don't be that guy still posting on GAF in 2025 how FF is dead since FFVI and how you won't buy FFXXII.

The way you worded it makes absolutely zero sense. If the next stage after the Alpha is the Beta, and it has gone beyond the Alpha stage, then call it what it is: Beta.
The other way to look at it is that it's still in the Alpha stage, it's just nearing the very end of it.

I mean, if we're going to actually use "pre-beta" as a legitimate term, why stop there?

Conceptualizing > pre-Alpha-pre-Alpha > pre-Alpha > Alpha > pre-Beta > Beta > pre-release candidate > release candidate > pre-Gold > pre-packaging > pre-order money in our pockets >pre-shipping > pre-launch day dollars in our pockets.
When a game "goes Alpha" that generally means it passes the metrics of an alpha. So this game is at alpha state. Alpha state is pre beta, in that it happens before the state of beta is achieved. If Squeenix came out and said, we reached Alpha, people would flip because a lot of people don't understand the basic meanings behind Alpha and Beta. It's a translation thing. Alpha and "pre beta" are the same thing but PR and translations have muddled the water in this instance.

benzy

I take that to mean that the next demo should have the finalized gameplay style in it.

A near finalized battle system at least. The new demo is based on the Overture tech demo they showed in 2014 so it shouldn't be all that meaty in actual game content and gameplay.

Falk

that puzzling face
Besides, FFI-III veterans probably said the same about new FFVI players

FFIV was actually very well received in Japan after I-III.

Not sure if an analog can be made in US since they went from I -> IV right away.

edit: Can't read apparently, but V and VI were pretty much the same. Squaresoft could do no wrong in that era really.

This is great news.

It's been really annoying how GAF has covered the game - since one of the threads got edited to a "train crash" title it seemed to invite loads of drivebys that knew nothing about the game, and that's continued for every other thread.

Driveby folks who don't have the guts to debate are worthless. But it's been sad how the game has been covered here I mean I always come in expecting the 2018-2020 joke.

Go_Ly_Dow

Then FF is not longer for you. You wont get ATB anymore. ARPGs also arent "fickle".

Try Dragon Quest, Persona and Trails.

Do you guys think it's possible they will have upped the resolution on ps4 in time for the 3rd demo? If I am not mistaken did they not allude to this kind of graphical quality when they sent out that post-Duscae survey?

Top Bottom