• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer: PS4 Neo exists because PVR was going to be awful on reg PS4s[debunked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd imagine it'd be hard on the devs, isn't a solid 60 a requirement for PSVR games? So maybe by saying "truly awful" he means from a development perspective.

The PS4.5 is probably a must for those who really wanna get into PSVR though.
I think it's 90 with higher being suggested but maybe I'm wrong

chippy13

This doesn't make any sense at all. Why would Sony announce and have preorders for a product that they know won't work without a hardware upgrade? Especially when it is a new tech that they are bringing to the market. This also ignores all of the positive reviews that have come out about PSVR to date.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd imagine it'd be hard on the devs, isn't a solid 60 a requirement for PSVR games? So maybe by saying "truly awful" he means from a development perspective.

The PS4.5 is probably a must for those who really wanna get into PSVR though.

I think you have to be locked at 60 100% of the time.

MUnited83

For you.
Except according to everything we've heard, developers aren't allowed to make any modes, including VR, exclusive to the PS4k.

yeah yeah,they will lift that pretty fucking fast, believe me. There will be games that simply cannot run in VR in the normal PS4. Guess what Sony will choose when confronted with the choice of getting a game on PS4K or not getting a game at all?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But we already have games running on PSVR on launch PS4 units that are very capable demonstrations...

Kyoufu

This is nonsense. So does the Xbox 1.5 exist because of PSVR too?

PS4K exists because Sony want to drive 4K adoption.

samar11

Everything was positive about PS4vr, all of a sudden its shit because Neo is coming? something fishy is going on here :/

Venuspower

Wait...

First it was because 4K.
Then it was because AMD changed their production.
Now it is because VR has a really shit performance on PS4...

I do not know. Looks more like no one really knows why Sony is doing that thing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Modes no, better performance is more-less mandatory.

For sure, and I can see any 60fps PSVR games getting easily up to the next native framerate tier (90fps) on Neo. And any 90fps games up to 120fps.

Undoubtedly Neo will offer better VR framerates.

But the base (PS4) requirements for PSVR aren't going away, so Neo's introduction isn't really solving anything for developers in that regard per this source's commentary. For now, anyway.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Why would Sony announce and have preorders for a product that they know won't work without a hardware upgrade? Especially when it is a new tech that they are bringing to the market. This also ignores all of the positive reviews that have come out about PSVR to date.
Imo they will throw the current base a bone but Sony will want everyone to upgrade so Neo only games will be here eventually. No doubt.

Give it a year or two, thus is the trend with most products today.

dex3108

Rumors say that Xbox Next will support Oculus so yes part of the reason for better hardware in Xbox Next is VR.

KingBroly

Banned
yeah yeah,they will lift that pretty fucking fast, believe me. There will be games that simply cannot run in VR in the normal PS4. Guess what Sony will choose when confronted with the choice of getting a game on PS4K or not getting a game at all?

Same thing as last gen where Microsoft required 720p. That didn't last very long. Requirements do and will fall by the waist side.

Well I really hope this isn't the case. I've got my PSVR preordered, but I'm not planning to get a PS Neo, so I would be very disappointed if it doesn't deliver an at least decent experience.

Kyoufu

Imo they will throw the current base a bone but Sony will want everyone to upgrade so Neo only games will be here eventually. No doubt.

There's no such concept of a Neo exclusive game. If your game does not work on a base PS4 then it will not pass certification.

I generally thought that Sony was gonna be this "4K supreme leader" where of course Sony has a lot of 4Ks like 4K TVs, 4K cameras and 4K Blu-Ray players and I thought the idea to the 4K PlayStation was that they are gonna make one because of this 4K extravaganza that it is going on right now.

But one anonymous industry insider said to Edge Magazine was that the PlayStation 4K exists because the PlayStation VR will run horrible on a launch day PS4?

Huh. Okay, then.
I hope that anonymous source is not true.

PJV3

Standard PS4 seems OK, I'm getting psvr for it and if I'm impressed enough then I will upgrade to the new model later.

The problem will be with games further down the road, current(soon to be) releases seem fine so far.

PSOreo

This has to be hyperbole surely? We've seen it running on PS4s already (well we assume they are launch devices) and I thought that was what the external processing unit was for? I don't doubt that PSVR struggled on launch devices without the processing unit but I seriously doubt it would be "awful" without having the PS4K system.

Modes no, better performance is more-less mandatory.

Sounds like a great idea then if you want poor sales and shit reviews.

I'd actually be fine with that, especially if it means games like No Man's Sky add VR support, but that's not the case right now.

Regardless, based on the quote NullPointer and Hanmik posted, no-one's sure what the developer was talking about. OP fucked up with his title.

If that was the case, what is all the PSVR stuff people have been playing running on?

VMftNVN.gif

I don't see NEO only games until 3 to years later .
It's when they might bring out another system and drop PS4 support .
Of course this depends on how NEO sells.

dex3108

Also for people who say that previews were positive. How many games are previewed? Are there any 3rd party games beside Elite? Positive previews for 5 games and positive reviews for 30 games is not the same.

LeleSocho

Banned

There's a reason why Xbone 1.5 is late 2017 while Neo will be released before that, Sony needed better hardware sooner because they don't want to skip the VR bandwagon while Microsoft has all the time to do things at their pace since they decided to go with AR rather than VR.

ValeYard

Maybe "truly awful" is meant in an abstract sense looking at the power of the ps4 box and how it would manage VR games running on other headsets.

With all the effort Sony games people are putting into curating I would be surprised if the games that actually come out are "truly awful." Just, they may be very limited technically vis-à-vis Vive or Oculus.

Wait...

So PSVR is going to be a really shitty experience on OG PS4 so they announce it, develop it, keep showing it off, announce a date and a price and then release an upgraded PS4 and say lol youll need to buy this as well.

Fuck off Sony.

>Hundreds of positive previews for VR games currently running on PS4 from public and press.

>Anonymous insider not clear on is/was

Fuck off Sony

Alright buddy

How do we know they were running on launch models? Were the VR headsets sent to the guys previewing them or was it a controlled environment set up by Sony?

Im not sure about press events but theres been hands on for public for ages.

Go back to the psx thread where people gave their impressions
This was from PAX Australia

Namikaze

I know this isn't officially confirmed or anything but I do expect Neo to easily have the better VR experience. It's basically a given which makes me think I should just wait until next fall for PSVR and see what launch owners think/how their headset is holding up. Might actually get an oculus rift first if I even get a VR headset

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also for people who say that previews were positive. How many games are previewed? Are there any 3rd party games beside Elite? Positive previews for 5 games and positive reviews for 30 games is not the same.

I know they showed many experiences/demos at its last outing, certainly a lot more than 5.

Is it possible this guy thought that PSVR was going to be a Neo-only thing, and his brain retroactively filled in this narrative? I mean the author of the article even seems to have added a 'we don't know what he's referring to' qualifier :/

Moosichu

This is obviously BS and FUD.

We know that PSVR is going to run on launch PS4's and Sony have very stringent performance requirements. To that end PS4k is mainly for 'cinematic' games. Maybe you'll get prettier graphics in VR, but nothing revolutionary.

*until the day a high profile game can't run on the original PS4 in which case that limit will be dropped.

Yeah. Companies are lining up to limit their audience!

That sure sounds exaggerated. I find it hard to believe that it's gonne be "truly awful" on OG PS4. Obviously, it's gonna run better on PS4.5 but I can't see Sony screwing up millions of OG owners and give them a "truly awful" experience.

Besides, half of how well the game works is on the Devs, if the Devs do a shit job then you'll get a "truly awful" experience no matter how powerful your PS4 is.

Feels a little sensationalist, but I think it's grounded in the truth. Whilst the PSVR demos that have been shown thus far seem to be totally playable on what we have been led to believe are retail PS4 units, they certainly haven't looked visually spectacular. That is what I think Sony may have a problem with. The majority of their advertising and media push is going to still be through video / pictures, and if they games end up looking like something from the last generation then it's not really going to get the mass market hyped.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's why a more powerful PS4 appears.

Kyoufu

*until the day a high profile game can't run on the original PS4 in which case that limit will be dropped.

Not going to happen. The gap between PS4 and PS4K in performance is not as big as the gap between PS4 and PS4K in install base. Nobody is going to release a AAA mega million budget title on a model with a fraction of the install base and there's no technical reason why it can't be on both.

MUnited83

For you.
There's a reason why Xbone 1.5 is late 2017 while Neo will be released before that, Sony needed better hardware sooner because they don't want to skip the VR bandwagon while Microsoft has all the time to do things at their pace since they decided to go with AR rather than VR.

Rumors point to XB 1.5 having compability with Oculus

Not going to happen. The gap between PS4 and PS4K in performance is not as big as the gap between PS4 and PS4K in install base. Nobody is going to release a AAA mega million budget title on a model with a fraction of the install base and there's no technical reason why it can't be on both.

The PSVR market is of the enthusiast niche, so the difference between PS4 and PS4K userbase doesn't matter that much.

No technical reason? Some games just wont reach the required performance.

orioto

Good Art™
I never get that VR requirement. Anyone having tried VR knows a good game with PS2 graphics (with ps4 textures and light) and 120f fps will look incredible.

I mean if the goal was to have non vr title run in vr, i could see the problem. But as long as VR titles are tailor made original games, I don't see the problem.

All PSVR games so far had demos running on launch hardware.

This is sensationalist nonsense.

And they were either basic game or had to downgrade graphics. This isn't sensationalism. This is facts, VR requires powerful hardware. At 1080p, it's already difficult on PC.
You're basically running the game in 3D and at crazy high framerate.

I never get that VR requirement. Anyone having tried VR knows a good game with PS2 graphics (with ps4 textures and light) and 120f fps will look incredible.

I mean if the goal was to have non vr title run in vr, i could see the problem. But as long as VR titles are tailor made original games, I don't see the problem.

That's the problem though. If you make games tailored for VR, you're only selling to people who own a VR device. If your games works for both, it's less risky and offer more content for VR owners... but it requires a powerful device.

OBias

Wait...

First it was because 4K.
Then it was because AMD changed their production.
Now it is because VR has a really shit performance on PS4...

I do not know. Looks more like no one really knows why Sony is doing that thing.

Maybe it's all of that at the same time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think the "awful" part is a bit of a hyperbole, but I can see being annoying for developers to optimize the games for PSVR on PS4. Now that we know who performance is in VR for a 970 (i.e. not always ideal).

Also people taking the word of the press and from impression as a gospel maybe should check how nobody reported before launch the lenses artifacts for Rift. The tech is imlressive enough to not notice the negatives in a 15 minutes demo.

How do we know they were running on launch models? Were the VR headsets sent to the guys previewing them or was it a controlled environment set up by Sony?

I mean that's supposedly the whole reason they were using the breakout box in the first place and they've been publicly demoing VR for a couple of years now.

Not to mention all of the strict performance requirements for VR games just to ensure they are comfortable that have to run at those frame rates on original PS4s too since there's pretty much no way the NEO will be required for the VR headset everyone just preordered expecting to use their existing PS4.

Tratorn

We know two "facts" (well Neo is still a rumour, but we all know it's true):

- Neo can't have exclusive games. Sony explicitely said all Neo games have to be playable on PS4.
At least for now, this will probably change 3 years or so later, when the next model ("PS5") releases.

- PSVR games have to run at least at stable 60FPS on the base PS4. If it's not, it won't get a "ok" from Sony.

So that shouldn't be the reason, since Neo can't have (PSVR)-games that are not running on the base PS4.

I think this comment should be understood as "was" like Nullpointer already pointed out.

Mung

So all the positive impressions have been wrong? Or they've been powered by enhanced hardware? I don't believe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom