• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer: PS4 Neo exists because PVR was going to be awful on reg PS4s[debunked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well do we know for an absolute fact those previews were running on actual launch PS4's or were they running on some sort of more powerful dev box or PC? We've seen time and time again where a preview of a game looks better than the final product.

Unless you believe the PS4s plugged in on display at 10s of public events around the world are fake then yes people are pretty sure.

Pax Australia
M6awmndh.jpg

Abdiel

I'm at work. I check out threads sparingly unless it's really slow.

If you don't have time to read the thread, don't make sweeping assumptions. The threads continue and get updated with information, and we've had valuable members provide direct insight. Posting what you did without being able to keep up will lead to what I said to you. Papa quickly redacted, but not fast enough for me to catch his post.

It's just bad form to post without actually reading through the thread. If anything new has been revealed, you're already behind.

And I mean, I've used psvr, at psx. I could see the units my headset was connected to each time. They were debugs, sure, but there's no way they already had ps4k units available in hardware for demos in public like that. And the experience was amazing.

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

It's a console that most devs can't hit 1080p/60fps on. VR was always going to be compromised.

Does nobody read anymore?

A number of devs have popped on here to say it's bullshit. PSVR has been demoed numerous times and running on the PS4.

Unless you believe the PS4s plugged in on display at 10s of public events around the world are fake then yes people are pretty sure.

Pax Australia
It's more common than not that demo presentations/trailers are running on high end pc hardware and not retail consoles. Why should it be any different with VR?

Somehow devs are doing it with this one weird trick!

Use VR on a PS4 with this trick Videogame Cops don't want you to know about!

That about cover it?

TheHater

Wish some of these developer will put their name on these statements.

We seen the current ps4 run multiple VR games / demos.

This reaction is stupid. I would assume Mr. CTO is talking about contemporary AAA titles, which we already knew the PS4 would not be capable off in VR. If you look at the stuff that's actually being published for the Vive and Occulus, it's mostly indies with very simple graphics which a launch unit should handle just fine. If anything Rigs and London Heist are the real lookers of VR gaming so far.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wish some of these developer will put their name on these statements.

We seen the current ps4 run multiple VR games / demos.

Well, they don't want to have their credibility flushed down the toilet when they are proven flat out wrong. It is easy to throw out hyperbole when you are anonymous. After all, there will be gamers willing to make drive-bys, etc., since it fits their narrative, even without actual facts/evidence, etc..

Those were Neo consoles all along. Sony tricked us!

They had Polaris, before AMD had Polaris... The new system will be called, The Paradox!

Or PP for short! Wait...

Hope this guy knows what he's talking about or he's probably just unfairly cancelled thousands of pre-orders for no reason.

An anonymous industry insider usually means bullshit. If he is so sure of this why not let everyone know who he is? Because he will be proven wrong and look like the shill he is.

If you don't have time to read the thread, don't make sweeping assumptions. The threads continue and get updated with information, and we've had valuable members provide direct insight. Posting what you did without being able to keep up will lead to what I said to you. Papa quickly redacted, but not fast enough for me to catch his post.

It's just bad form to post without actually reading through the thread. If anything new has been revealed, you're already behind.

And I mean, I've used psvr, at psx. I could see the units my headset was connected to each time. They were debugs, sure, but there's no way they already had ps4k units available in hardware for demos in public like that. And the experience was amazing.
What sweeping assumptions? I took a quick skim on the OP and posted my thoughts, and I didn't firmly assert that I believe all of it, or take it for granted. I said this topic sounds like to me that it is more about what psvr is supposed to hinge on, rather than what Ps4K's main purpose is.

If I fall behind, then I fall behind and I'll catch up later. But there's no need to berate others for not keeping up as they wish and please, and I'm just speaking for myself here. This is exactly the type of shit that gaffers piss me off about. I say I don't have as much time I like to spend of gaf right now, and instead of just moving, I had someone replying, mocking me with a sarcastic post saying that isn't enough.

I could go ahead and do that but then I'd fall behind at work

So they are saying if you want to truly experience PSVR, you HAVE to buy the PS4 Neo even if you own the PS4? Come on now, Sony isn't that silly. That would be very detrimental to the PSVR obviously.

Paz

60fps is not optional for PSVR games, having access to another SKU with more power would actually mean less to a PSVR game than a regular game in terms of improvements you could make, since it already has to run at a locked 60 no matter what on a PS4.

You don't need testimonials to figure out that 2+2 doesn't equal 57.

We've also had PSVR demos at public tradeshows for like a year now and they are all fine...

SerTapTap

I can't wait for psvr to come out just do the "pc or nothing" fud dies down. Some people absolutely refuse to believe aps4 can "do vr" despite all evidence

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much a non-brainer. *looks up own post from ps4k announcement thread.*

Even though there is a strong belief among a vast segment of our posters in the ability of the ps4 to perform above it's specs, because of Sony manufacturing to the metal and based Cerny, I just can't envision the launch ps4 running graphically demanding software on PSVR without significant impact to performance. VR is very, very hardware demanding, which is why it's aligned up to launch with a new generation of GPUs in the PC sector.

I've always strongly believed that this is the major, major motivation for both Sony and MS to introduce these mid-gen HW revisions.

On the plus side, if this checks out, there's less reason for non-vr playstation users to be concerned about missing bu not aquiring the new models.

So they are saying if you want to truly experience PSVR, you HAVE to buy the PS4 Neo even if you own the PS4? Come on now, Sony isn't that silly. That would be very detrimental to the PSVR obviously.

Yup. Sony has been making some smart moves lately. Even if this were true (which, thanks to this thread, it demonstrably is not), there's no way they'd launch a $400 add-on and then turn around and say "Oh yeah, and this thing will be garbage if you don't shell out $400 for a PS4Neo."

FireRises

if this is true, I feel somewhat bad for you PS4 players who thought VR was going to work out on the OG PS4. I mean it's optional but still, marketing up to this point would lead you to believe you guys were going to be okay.

What sweeping assumptions? I took a quick skim on the OP and posted my thoughts, and I didn't firmly assert that I believe all of it, or take it for granted. I said this topic sounds like to me that it is more about what psvr is supposed to hinge on, rather than what Ps4K's main purpose is.

If I fall behind, then I fall behind and I'll catch up later. But there's no need to berate others for not keeping up as they wish and please, and I'm just speaking for myself here. This is exactly the type of shit that gaffers piss me off about. I say I don't have as much time I like to spend of gaf right now, and instead of just moving, I had someone replying, mocking me with a sarcastic post saying that isn't enough.

I could go ahead and do that but then I'd fall behind at work
So you dont have time to read through the thread but have time to post long responses excusing yourself for your previous misinformed post?

Maybe just dont post about something that is clearly bullshit for anyone who has been paying attention and has a small amount of logical ability to work out that this is bullshit or for all of the countless threads and posts on Gaf and elsewhere of the positive impressions. especially if you have to worry about work as you end up with situations like this where you either look stupid or as if you are shit posting.

valkyre

If that claim is true, then what happened to the old rumor saying that "Sony doesnt allow developers to create PS4 Neo games with extra features compared to PS4?

If VR sucks on PS4, then it is inevitable that Neo will have different features. If not then VR will suck on Neo too.

Maybe the people who made a testimony could explain why VR will be ok when 1080p / 60 fps is not ok? And of course with simple graphics VR could work very well but be sure that most of gamers aren't going to be ok for the VR but PS3 level graphics compromise.

See ya when PS VR hits the shelves. I'm ready for a truck of crows if games on PS4 / PS VR are good looking, with a decent amount of effects and without performance issues.

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

It's a console that most devs can't hit 1080p/60fps on. VR was always going to be compromised.

Except all the PSVR games have been demo'd on the current hardware, and they're absolutely fine. Sure, they're nowhere near a high-end PC and the 4.5 will likely look better, but the current crop of games run and look fine.

If that claim is true, then what happened to the old rumor saying that "Sony doesnt allow developers to create PS4 Neo games with extra features compared to PS4?

If VR sucks on PS4, then it is inevitable that Neo will have different features. If not then VR will suck on Neo too.

"Better performance" is not really a feature in that sense, otherwise there'd be no reason for the PSNeo to exist.

Baalzebup

Thanks for letting me preorder a PSVR under the assumption it would work well on my launch PS4, Sony.

if this is true, I feel somewhat bad for you PS4 players who thought VR was going to work out on the OG PS4. I mean it's optional but still, marketing up to this point would lead you to believe you guys were going to be okay.

Please read the tread. There are multitudes of posts calling bullshit on this.

So you dont have time to read through the thread but have time to post long responses excusing yourself for your previous misinformed post?
I don't have the time for it. If I keep on doing it then yeah, chances are I'll fall behind at work.

Maybe just dont post about something that is clearly bullshit for anyone who has been paying attention and has a small amount of logical ability to work out that this is bullshit or for all of the countless threads and posts on Gaf and elsewhere of the positive impressions. especially if you have to worry about work as you end up with situations like this where you either look stupid or as if you are shit posting.
First of all, I can post whatever I want: I posted my thoughts. If they were wrong, then they can be corrected by anyone else. There's absolutely no need to make things personal. It's not like I was arguing for what I thought I knew. If that is constituted as shitposting, then as far as I'm concerned, so is what you just did.

S1kkZ

so, despite some developers posting in this thread and the fact that psvr has been playable on standard ps4 consoles for months (and was praised for the performance), there are still people that believe psvr will not work fine on ps4?

wtf?

Freeman

Banned
Dude is salty he couldn't make his game work on PSVR, git gud bruh.

A unnamed CTO also told me, an I quote: "PSVR results are so outstanding on the regular PS4 that you couldn't replicate them with a GTX1080 SLI on a regular PC. It's pure sorcery."

Maybe Sony has just been duping us with all those fake demos that are actually FMVs that account for every angle and movement.

I say mod edit the OP and lock the thread. Some people read the OP and the first page and then comment--which is understandable and fine--the article that this thread is based on is trash.

I don't see how or why people are getting upset at others responding because they received false information.

In a sense yes...

I mean, Sony won't explicitly say that obviously but the simple fact is PS4 Neo will play better with VR because it's got stronger technology.

Personally, I think I'd rather have the better PSVR experience on Neo in a year or so, wouldn't bother getting it for current PS4.

HardRojo

Well, whoever this anonymous source was, seems like they got away with what they wanted. Lots of confused people here, despite some developers chiming in to call BS on the statement.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
so, despite some developers posting in this thread and the fact that psvr has been playable on standard ps4 consoles for months (and was praised for the performance), there are still people that beleive psvr will not work finde on ps4?

wtf?

Go go confirmation bias!

Someone tweet Shu, so we can get another, 'let him dream' response.

Trojan

So much misinformation and speculation going on with these new consoles. It sounds like this article had little/no verifying of sources which is a shame. Then you have the "target range" of the Xbox Scorpio being quoted at "5-6 teraflops" (a huge spread) and people eating up that red meat.

Companies should do a better job getting out in front of this in the future if they want to control the message. It's not their obligation, but I bet they get legit worried when they don't/can't answer to speculation and it starts to spin wildly out of control. Sony PR department must be pounding Tylenol after knowing they would have months of PS4K speculation without them being able to address it.

valkyre

"Better performance" is not really a feature in that sense, otherwise there'd be no reason for the PSNeo to exist.

You cant have "truly awful" mixed with "no extra features" the way I look at it.

If the experience is "awful" based on what the rumor suggests, then how the hell is Sony going to support the notion that "its awful, but hey it has the same features!".
It doesnt make sense to me.

All of that ofc is based on the -perhaps exaggerated- claim that VR experience on PS4 is "awful".

Primeau31

Even though there is a strong belief among a vast segment of our posters in the ability of the ps4 to perform above it's specs, because of Sony manufacturing to the metal and based Cerny, I just can't envision the launch ps4 running graphically demanding software on PSVR without significant impact to performance. VR is very, very hardware demanding, which is why it's aligned up to launch with a new generation of GPUs in the PC sector.

I've always strongly believed that this is the major, major motivation for both Sony and MS to introduce these mid-gen HW revisions.

On the plus side, if this checks out, there's less reason for non-vr playstation users to be concerned about missing bu not aquiring the new models.

We even have a mod not reading the thread?

Sad times.

Read the thread. 4-5 devs already posted saying this is incorrect.

Paz

So much misinformation and speculation going on with these new consoles. It sounds like this article had little/no verifying of sources which is a shame. Then you have the "target range" of the Xbox Scorpio being quoted at "5-6 teraflops" (a huge spread) and people eating up that red meat.

Companies should do a better job getting out in front of this in the future if they want to control the message. It's not their obligation, but I bet they get legit worried when they don't/can't answer to speculation and it starts to spin wildly out of control. Sony PR department must be pounding Tylenol after knowing they would have months of PS4K speculation without them being able to address it.

They don't need to address PS4K stuff at all since this is about PSVR which they've said time and time again will be fully supported by that thing sitting under 35 million TV's.

Some anonymous source saying otherwise is great console wars fodder but it's not like Sony can disprove it any harder than they already have, a year of talking about it + showing it literally working at tradeshows around the world, and developers openly talking about their projects.

Completely unsure what else Sony could do to 'get out in front' of PSVR working on PS4 like you're asking.

Without even reading the entire thread, just from the title alone I know its some strong confirmation bias going on in this thread. Par the course for psvr threads

You cant have "truly awful" mixed with "no extra features" the way I look at it.

If the experience is "awful" based on what the rumor suggests, then how the hell is Sony going to support the notion that "its awful, but hey it has the same features!".
It doesnt make sense to me.

All of that ofc is based on the -perhaps exaggerated- claim that VR experience on PS4 is "awful".

"Truly awful" is subjective. There are people that can describe a game that runs at 30 fps as "truly awful". My point is that from the Giant Bomb report, it sounds like Sony's mandate with regards to Neo is that they don't want Neo exclusive games or features that split the userbase, but naturally performance is going to be upgraded. That will probably mean that some people will consider the vanilla PS4 versions as "truly awful" in comparison, but so be it.

For the record though, I think this report is bullshit.

Kyoufu

I just can't envision the launch ps4 running graphically demanding software on PSVR without significant impact to performance.

If a game does not meet the performance requirements of PSVR then it does not pass certification. Sony does not want people getting motion sick from low frame rates, therefore VR games won't look as good as they would on a powerful PC in terms of visual fidelity. I thought this was common knowledge here but apparently not!

cheezcake

I doubt it was because it was going to be awful, you can hit 90fps easily on the PS4 with appropriate sacrifice in visual quality. I can believe it was going to be very limited because of those sacrifices though. None of the shown PSVR demos really seem to be anything very ambitious in scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom