• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developers who have never made a bad game

ensemble-studios-closed.jpg

: (

Black Isle Studios (RIP)

Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster
Icewind Dale II
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II

Phediuk

Black Isle Studios (RIP)

Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Trials of the Luremaster
Icewind Dale II
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II

Too bad Dark Alliance 2 is there; otherwise they would have about the best track record of any studio in history.

Rocksteady has a pretty solid, if a bit small portfolio. (Urban Chaos - PS2/Xbox, Batman: Arkham Asylum 360/PS3/PC, Batman: Arkham City 360/PS3/PC)

Otherwise, I'll echo Platinum. Even their weakest title (Anarchy Reigns) is still a pretty great game in it's own right.

notBald

I wouldn't have said Bungie either because I don't think they're immune to making bad games (or at least bad decisions), but for a counter, you guys both chose the wrong game.
Of the Bungie games I've played I pick Oni and Marathon. Mind, they've really only made one good game in my eyes. The rest I played because of that game.

JordanN

Banned
Insomniac was always the first developer that came to mind.

irNJAfJOqTxHm.png

Rare's games also never struck out as being bad to me.

Edit: Team Ninja also did a lot of good. At least they made a lot of games you can come back to.
i3CNkxOwOZRfg.png

CassSept

it was a misstep, and your enjoyment of Sticker Star may vary, but I think given the amount of games they made they're still a better choice than Companies with like 5 games to their name

Nobody is saying IS don't have an insanely excellent track record (shit, they made Wario Ware series, Advanced Wars series, Paper Mario series, Metroid, Pushmo...), but they had a couple of missteps so they sadly don't fit that thread.

batbeg

Jak_X_-_Combat_Racing_Coverart.png

Quite possibly one of the worst PSP games I've played.

I wish I had a psp capable of playing ps2 games. Besides which I thought this was a content heavy, enjoyable game. Any of the disputes about ND should really only concern with their 3DO era.

Too bad Dark Alliance 2 is there; otherwise they would have about the best track record of any studio in history.

I loved the Dark Alliance games, never understand the shit people give them.

Eusis

Naughty Gods
At least this wasn't the first post or reply. We can argue about each of their games from Crash onwards, but a lot of their pre-Sony history really was trash by all accounts.

Valve is probably one of the best examples, usually at worst it's just not your thing. Similar for Blizzard, at worst they seem to be like post-Sony Naughty Dog in that sometimes what they make is really, REALLY divisive.

Phediuk

I wish I had a psp capable of playing ps2 games. Besides which I thought this was a content heavy, enjoyable game. Any of the disputes about ND should really only concern with their 3DO era.

I loved the Dark Alliance games, never understand the shit people give them.

Dark Alliance 1 was great, DA2 was just okay. I'm not saying it's bad--I do think Black Isle is a good example for this thread--but it's not the classic that the other ones are.

Brakke

Banned
HAL Labs made basically infinity games and so many of them are perfect. Here's one system:

N64 said:
  • EarthBound 64 - cancelled (the project eventually became Mother 3)
  • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  • Pokémon Snap
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • SimCity 64
  • SimCopter 64

MisterHero

Nobody said "Rockstar" yet?
GTAOnline

But this pointless griping about developers. Some of these "bad games" aren't actually bad. I'm sure GTAOnline will be a completely different experience in a few years and they'll relax pushing the cash shop on their players.

Eusis

Oh, yes, I'm seconding this. Shame since I was excited for it, but I was in a (stronger) anime phase then, and anyways that game had some really, really repetitive levels as I recall. Only rented the PS2 game and that was that.

. . . Funny how synonymous Bungie became with Microsoft for awhile yet their first game that generation was a PS2/PC title, their first console game period unless I'm forgetting a Myth port or something.
Nobody said "Rockstar" yet?
I kind of feel like Rockstar makes crappy games that are enjoyable in spite of themselves. Probably for what they attempted, and when that wasn't as novel they actually refined it reasonably well.

Eusis

OP, have you played Marathon?

Not sure if I would consider it a good game really in comparison to realses around its time.
I enjoyed Durandal, and it seemed to me it did something notable enough for its time period.

But still, Oni. That's enough of a black mark really.

Top Bottom