• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Daggers is Rock Paper Shotgun's Game of the Year

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They've been talking about the game all year, it isn't surprising they would pick it. I regularly see it in their What Are We All Playing This Weekend posts. A lot of the staff there clearly like it, I don't see how anyone could see how this could be perceived as trying to be "different" for the sake of being different.

As far as my opinion on the game, don't really care for it that much. The only thing that really bothers me when people talk about it is how they keep comparing it to old school shooters, when it is only old school in the most superficial ways. Would love to see them tackle a shooter with actual level design. I know they are working on some first person platformer shooter, but iirc that is procedurally generated.

Are corridors and rooms a requirement for a shooter to be good in your eyes?

nynt9

RPS always does this. They like showing how "diverse" they are.

This is demonstrably false and you're petty.

Funny how PC folk look down on arcadey stuff until it's an arcadey take on old PC tropes...

PC is an incredibly diverse platform and there is no basis for this generalization.

Hey, and look. It got them a GAF thread. Mission accomplished.

Most big sites get a thread for their GOTY.

KR_remix

Why does "actual level design" matter? The game isn't about that. It wouldn't be as intense navigating lots of geometry as you're trying to survive waves, would make it lose the horror and claustrophobic vibes the game is clearly going for.

Because I like those kind of shooters. I don't like these kinds of monster arenas. That is why it matters to me. I never said this game was awful, just that I don't really care for it after playing it.

Are corridors and rooms a requirement for a shooter to be good in your eyes?

No, it is fine for someone to like this kind of thing. I just don't, and would be more interested if they tried something along the lines of Quake 1. I prefer old school shooters, I don't see what is wrong with that.

nynt9

lol why are people acting like this is some kinda controversial choice? They liked a game, they made it their goty, the end.

If you don't like a AAA cinematic game then what are you even doing with your life? /s

a majority of gaf has a preference for a certain type of game and can't fathom people liking different stuff.

Such a hipster choice. I like the sentiment behind it and that it's a conversation starter. But let's be real? You feel that passionately about that game? Come on. It's a posture more than a legit pick.

I pick my nose everyday. Love doing it. Wouldn't call it my activity if the year though.

KR_remix

Between this and the watchmojo thread I just don't understand why so many people are taking offense to people having different tastes than them. The co-opting of marketing hyperbole has really pushed people to become so tribal about stuff that isn't really a big deal. Everything is now either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever and you have to choose sides.

Such a hipster choice. I like the sentiment behind it and that it's a conversation starter. But let's be real? You feel that passionately about that game? Come on. It's a posture more than a legit pick.

I pick my nose everyday. Love doing it. Wouldn't call it my activity if the year though.

They have been talking about how they like it for the entire year, people who regularly visit the site would know this. Even people they are close with in the games space have brought it up numerous times as something they like, on stuff like crate and crowbar. It isn't a hipster choice, they just like the game. Anyone who has actually been paying attention to them would know this.

fester

Banned

So glad you're here to see through their real motive and set the record straight. When I need my opinion validated, I'll be sure to send you a PM to ensure it passes your QA process.

T.Slothrop said:
I pick my nose everyday. Love doing it.

Thanks for sharing this intimate detail with us.

Definitely an out-there choice to some, but when this dropped, no one could stop talking about it.

It must've been that damn good for a GOTY nod.

finalflame

Between this and the watchmojo thread I just don't understand why so many people taking offense to people having different tastes than them. The co-opting of marketing hyperbole has really pushed people to become so tribal about stuff that isn't really a big deal.

I don't think anyone well adjusted truly cares what any particular outlet's GOTY is, it's just calling a spade a spade. Like someone before me just said, it feels more like posturing than anything; "some of us REALLY liked this game and it's gonna fly under the radar for GOTY, let's throw it a bone and give it some recognition." And that's fine.

Or they really liked it enough to call it GOTY. Imagine that.

I mean, if you read the article, it seems to have been a tie breaker, 4-3, if they decide which game places first democratically amongst them. Brendan, Pip, and John all say they could not get into it despite seeing its merits.

The amount of indignation over this is hilarious and ridiculously petty. If RPS enjoys it that much, I can't argue with their choice.

Seriously, if you're going to gripe about "hipster picks" or what have you, grow the fuck up.

nynt9

Hipster garbage.

These are your two choices.

A game with 98% positive reviews on steam and 230k owners (good number for an indie game) clearly sounds like hipster garbage that no one can legitimately like enough to call GOTY. Sure.

finalflame

The amount of indignation over this is hilarious and ridiculously petty. If RPS enjoys it that much, I can't argue with their choice.

Seriously, if you're going to gripe about "hipster picks" or what have you, grow the fuck up.

And here I thought this was a place for discussion, including dissenting opinions, and not complacent acceptance and praise over an outlet's pick. Criticism not allowed. Might as well call this the "RPS GOTY Praising and Agreement Thread", then.

nynt9

And here I thought this was a place for discussion, including dissenting opinions, and not complacent acceptance and praise over an outlet's pick. Criticism not allowed. Might as well call this the "RPS GOTY Praising and Agreement Thread", then.

It's totally legitimate to disagree on GOTY. I don't think devil daggers is goty material. But to call the pick hipster clickbait is shitposting, not discussion. If you read the site and article, it's pretty clear how passionate they are about the game.

Funny how PC folk look down on arcadey stuff until it's an arcadey take on old PC tropes...

What the fuck am I reading right now?

I am still stunned at how invested people get in a stranger's pick for their favorite game. You understand these are just people like you and me right? Their opinions mean literally no more or less than yours, they don't matter at all.

We could assign motive to this choice all day, or we could just apply Occam's Razor and assume they genuinely liked the game.

That would be nuanced and reasonable though so let's just call their pick "hipster" and act like a child about this.

There's disagreement and there's shitposting. Questioning the motive of this GOTY is firmly the latter, especially when it falls under "PC gamer" generalizations and bullshit about posturing.

It's totally legitimate to disagree on GOTY. I don't think devil daggers is goty material. But to call the pick hipster clickbait is shitposting, not discussion. If you read the site and article, it's pretty clear how passionate they are about the game.

They did it to get a thread on GAF don't you see?

This is a problem gamers seem worse than other fandoms: a widespread inability to separate their favorite from "the best". Even if they mean their "favorite", they insist on using objective language.

Then people say "it's just an opinion." I don't think anybody is dumb enough to not realize this is an opinion piece. The problem is that it's an opinion piece loaded with language like "this is the best game of the year."

I'm not knocking their choice at all, but the sooner gamers start trying to express themselves and describe why they like games without resorting to the most extreme hyperbole available, the better. It makes us look so childish.

"Our favorite game of the year" or "we think the game of the year" or even "our game of the year" means something wholly and completely different than "this is the best game of the year."

And you can't say "it's just their opinion" when people are framing their opinions as fact in both a player and a media level at virtually every turn. It is impossible to have a conversation about facts and feelings when people treat them like they're the same things.

Because as soon as somebody says "Sonic the Hedgehog is the greatest character of all time," the conversation is basically over.

No it isn't. It really, really isn't.

Yes. Yes it is.

You cannot pose value judgements as fact.

"I hate egg salad" and "egg salad is the worst food in the world" are not the same. They mean different things. So you're either saying something you don't mean that is intellectually useless or you believe that something you feel is the truth no matter what.

This is literally the basis of all critical study in every single respect. It is the cornerstone of all pursuasive conversation. This, unlike your feelings on egg salad, is actually a fact.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Kind of a dull choice in my opinion, but people here seem to be taking offense at this sentiment. I am not even someone who dislikes so-called "hipster picks." In fact, those are the sorts of picks that I expect out of RPS and want to see more of across the board, but sadly this game in particular just doesn't jive with my own tastes too much. Game does very little for me and it's not something I find myself going back to in any capacity. Not sure I understand where RPS is coming form with this one, but that's fine. It's not my GOTY, it's theirs.

Hupsel

Neat game but bored me very quickly. Nothing much to do unless trying to stay alive in a very small arena. Not a very good choice imo

finalflame

Yah driveby "this is hipster trash" shitposting is almost as bad as the (now bannable? haven't seen it in a while) "I don't like thing/ok" image. But I think discussion surrounding the pick should be sincere; the game is good, and there's something to be said about simplicity here, but there are just so many other larger efforts this year with far more production and content.

But yah, GOTY is ultimately just some group of people's opinion. I just think RPS made it a point here to go against the mainstream, and that's fine, but might as well call it what it is.

"Our favorite game of the year" or "we think the game of the year" or even "our game of the year" means something wholly and completely different than "this is the best game of the year."

Yah driveby "this is hipster trash" shitposting is almost as bad as the (now bannable? haven't seen it in a while) "I don't like thing/ok" image. But I think discussion surrounding the pick should be sincere; the game is good, and there's something to be said about simplicity here, but there are just so many other larger efforts this year with far more production and content.

OK so you disagree with Devil Daggers because...of production quality and content? Maybe that sort of thing isn't valued by everyone equally? Just a thought.

I played a number of high production quality AAA games and yet my game of the year will likely be a 2D strategy game with a tenth of the budget at most (Steamworld Heist).

But yah, GOTY is ultimately just some group of people's opinion. I just think RPS made it a point here to go against the mainstream, and that's fine, but might as well call it what it is.

Or they just fucking liked the game.

Glad they picked it because I seem to have missed it somehow. Sold, looks fun. This is the kind of game I used to discover just from browsing gaf but these days it seems like the forum is just dominated by MEGA AAA HOT GAME OF THE MONTH discussion.

Yes. Yes it is.

"I hate egg salad" and "egg salad is the worst food in the world" are not the same. They mean different things. So you're either saying something you don't mean that is intellectually useless or you believe that something you feel is the truth no matter what.

This is literally the basis of all critical study in every single respect. It is the cornerstone of all pursuasive conversation. This, unlike your feelings on egg salad, is actually a fact.

Parahan

This is an honest choice, unlike dishonored 2 which was a decent game on consoles but was a poster child for terrible and careless PC port and was ironically goty at PC gamer.

nynt9

Yes. Yes it is.

Most sane people can understand that editorial discussions are not academic papers and thus come precluded with the suffix "... in my opinion", as it would get tiresome to explicitly add that every single time.

Alex

Yes. Yes it is.

I don't think you actually understand what you're even talking about anymore.

Protome

You're wrong, it's as simple as that. With art forms like videogames there is no absolute objective "best" thing, calling something that is inherently an opinion. The difference between "my favourite game of the year" and "the game I think was the best of the year" is semantics.

Yes. Yes it is.

They only mean something different if you cannot infer, with the barest of common sense, that they're discussing something subjective.

A "game of the year" is inherently subjective. There's no such thing as an objective game of the year. Anyone engaging with said discussion point with that assumption is either delusional or trying to make a bigger deal out of what is being discussed than it actually is.

It's the same with egg salad. There is no such thing as an objective "worst" of anything.

Deflecting this using semantics back onto the writers is a foolish redirection. Blame the audience for being dunces, not the writers for using the wrong wording.

Top Bottom