• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil may cry 1 has aged terribly.

Well I love the series and bought the hd collection as something to play on my ps5. I legit thought the gameplay would hold up and being as good as 3 or 4...

anyway this game is just not fun to play.

awful camera. Sometimes it’s fixed, sometimes it just spins around you while you’re fighting.

The main issue - extremely tiny move set even once you unlock everything. You can’t even keep the style meter up as it will disappear in a few seconds not to mention barely any variation of attack.
No weapon switching on ranged guns. No fast switching between sword and fists.

bosses suck apart from Vergil but they always did so nothing new.
Missions last between 1 and 2 minutes.
Stupid level design.
Zero story not that in matters since the gameplay is shit. Not even 120fps vrr could save it.
Groundbreaking at the time I’m sure but i should have just quit.

Looking forward to playing 3.

tkscz

Never believed in the phrase "didn't age well". Either those were always issues that you previously ignored or you've become spoiled by things that were always going to get better, and go back expecting those things in older games. Like no shit it doesn't have as many moves, it was the first game. Everyone knew the camera was bad, it's one of the biggest complaints against the game even back then. Did anyone play this game for the story? You go into older games KNOWING these issues exist.

I don't go back and Perfect Dark not expect terrible frame rates, blurry graphics and the N64 controller. I go in expecting to get use to those issues like I did before(yes I know there is the 360 version).

Barakov

Gold Member
I like it but it shows its' age. Then again, It's better to age badly than to have never been good in the first place(ie. Devil May Cry 2).

sublimit

Banned
Never believed in the phrase "didn't age well". Either those were always issues that you previously ignored or you've become spoiled by things that were always going to get better, and go back expecting those things in older games. Like no shit it doesn't have as many moves, it was the first game. Everyone knew the camera was bad, it's one of the biggest complaints against the game even back then. Did anyone play this game for the story? You go into older games KNOWING these issues exist.

I don't go back and Perfect Dark not expect terrible frame rates, blurry graphics and the N64 controller. I go in expecting to get use to those issues like I did before(yes I know there is the 360 version).
Amen to that.
Games don't "age". Gamers do.

Onironauta

Can't agree.
I'm playing it for the first time and while dated in some ways it's still a lot of fun.
The HD collection is kinda half-assed as cutscenes are still 480p and menus are 4:3, so it probably feels more dated than it should.

Last edited:

Life

Unfair to even give it the test of time.

@Raa yeah I couldn't play that for more than a couple of hours. A mashfest and an insult to veteran gamers.

Last edited:

Valonquar

After playing Demon's Souls remake I tried played Dark Souls 1 Remaster and I couldn't do it. It's hard to go backwards now. The jump is always bigger than it feels.

Eh other than the old control scheme and level breaks that seem like they were added late in dev, I still like it the best in the series. =P

Last edited:
I always thought this game would have been much better served as a PS1 style horror with pre-rendered backgrounds. The action is dull and slow and Dante is intolerably uncool.

Orta

Banned
Played it on Switch recently. The sudden camera changes resulting in the controls temporarily inverting drove me crazy. It's little more than a tedious button masher. It's a pretty lousy game these days, madness to think I bought my PS2 for it.

Really?

I was playing it the other day on an actual PS2 and CRT for the first time ever and I'm enjoy it so far (I've only ever played DmC reboot and Devil May Cry 5 previously)

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I have only played the first game, and liked it so much that I played through twice. I remember that it looked really awesome back then. It's also the only one of this type of games that I played through, because I normally hat these action slashers, like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Nier etc. They really look awesome but sadly they are not my cuppa.

ryan13ts

It's nowhere near as mechanically rich as the later games, but it is the first and a pioneer in the action genre so it deserves some slack. It's still fun even today, even if it's not as great as later games.

ae443ec39ca2119438d707ddad50a1d866db62f6c28477b7f6bc1bd998dc260a.jpg

P.Jack

I think it’s one of the early PS2 games that really still holds up today. It looks great and plays better than many recent games.
Its a timeless classic.

The remnants from when it was once a Resident Evil game are what make DMC1 unique, for better or worse. The camera, for instance, lets the game down especially during combat. But its gothic horror trappings and adventure game elements allow it to still stand apart from the rest. It's an interesting experiment that didn't have all of the answers like DMC3 eventually did, but I appreciate it for what it is. It's still probably the most memorable game in the series for me personally, and my second-favorite overall after 3.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

Perfect Dark is a perfect example of something ageing poorly (in some respects). The controls were a product of the time and the console, so looking back on what was fine at the time is hard to go back to from twin sticks. It doesn’t make it unplayable, and no one is saying it does.

Just because you know things have gotten better since, it doesn’t make them immune from comment. All “Ageing poorly” really means is that comparatively speaking it’s lower down the list than it used to be. It’s a constant to ageing well, where games hold up despite newer games coming along. Ageing. Timeless. It’s all the same concept.

SCB3

I mean it was supposed to be Resident Evil 4 originally, there are remnants there of that.

Itsit ABIT like Onimusha, fun to go back to sometimes and see how games changed,

Kokoloko85

I loved the level design and the bosses at the time. I havent played it since the PS2 times, but it was ground breaking and I enjoyed the Resident evil level design of unlocking areas.

Last edited:

Gtafans93

Agreed. Everytime I go back and play an old game. I imagine I am playing it the year of release. I know the Game wont be perfect but hell a 1997 game wont be as good as a 2020 game. (usually)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was simpler back then. You could knock enemies into the air with your sword and keep them in the air with your guns. You were flying in Devil Trigger mode while shooting lightning. It was the Street Fighter II of action games. They weren’t on the same level as DMC3 because it built the foundation of the franchise. The Phantom boss at the beginning wasn’t horrible if you consider the pacing at the time.

Dynasty Warriors had to start somewhere and so did Resident Evil. Of course we got the remake which made it visually more appealing and it played a lot better. It’s one of the same mold. We are spoiled by the combos and weapon swapping of today’s games. How many games back then allowed you to perform attacks with an enemy already in the air without it feeling too floaty? To me, DMC is like those 2-hit combos of Street Fighter II. They’re a very strong starting point for the franchise.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Devil May Cry, even the most recent, just feels slow compared to NG or Bayo. I know people love the high skill ceiling but it just doesn't click with me.

Speaking of Capcom games aging poorly and RE prototypes, playing through Onimusha last year or the year before bummed me out.

trikster40

Didn’t originally start off as a Resident Evil and evolved into Devil May Cry? That’s why the game design feels so similar? Or am I imagining that?

DMC1 is my favorite DMC, easily within my top 5 games of all time. An atmosphere better than most actual horror games, that overall action-adventure vibe which went away in later games, combat that's mechanically satisfying but simple enough to grasp. It's like a great arcade game in that the mechanics are simple and deep at the same time. Music that really suits the game. I like the story-line too. Secrets are a plenty in this game, it never gets old collecting blue orb shards to upgrade which are usually stashed away in secret areas. In general though, it's one of my favorite games to start a fresh playthrough of. The length is just right, it doesn't take an eternity to unlock my favorite abilities in. It's a very cozy game for me to fire up and play. I just love the controls too, the controls are perfect for this game. I love how the level design sometimes has secrets to bypass big chunks of the level. So it's like speedrunning the game if you know these secrets. Typing this out really got me in the mood to play XD

Astral Dog

it really needs a REmake, but i think its still a good game today, it was released on the early PS2 days and was very innovative.

Art style is still good, enemy design is strong, its a mix of Resident Evil with the stylish action of later DMC.

Really more than DMC6 i think we need a DMC1 REmake first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom