• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 PC - Now Available

Kintaro said:
Surprise surprise. Another terrible review on 1up.

What seriously pisses me off is him calling it a 'ho-hum port." That was really a slap to the face to the Capcom.

How many Japanese developers release a quality PC release nowadays? Shit, we'd be lucky for an average port job. But the PC version of DMC4 is by far and away the best version. If he gave it a C+ because he didn't like the game (which isn't the case since he compliments the gameplay, visuals and combat so well) then whatever, but calling it a ho hum port is bullshit.

I do believe Capcom is actually analyzing the sales of this game since it's a large franchise, and the port - job was more than adequate. Meaning, if it doesn't sell well, essentially no other PC prospect from Capcom will do better save for RE5.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/d...=convert&om_clk=gsupdates&tag=updates;title;2

Gamespot did it right with their pseudo PC review. They simply linked to the console review, talked about what the game was on the PC, mentioned the price, the optimization, and that was all. It's one thing to critique the features of a port as is, and it's another to be let down on what could have been. Sure, Capcom could have added 10 player online coop or some shit...sure.

Mamesj

Banned
couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm not surprised the guy didn't get DMC4, but he failed harder than I could ever imagine. It's annoying when reviewers knock these games for aspects that shouldn't be considered (see "invisible walls" in 1UP's NGII review), but "no mouse support" is legendary in that respect. nevar forget. :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So 1up called this a "ho-hum port"? What in gods name was the reviewer smoking, the MT Framework engine was made with PC as well as 360/PS3 in mind, the game looks astonishingly awesome on PC, the LDK mode is PC exclusive, and the game works perfectly with a 360 controller as well as many others.

DMC 4 PC is not just a port, it is the definitive version of a great game, 1up need to vet their reviews better, as this is frankly a crock, no mouse support.....? what the hell sort of complaint is that?

Sectus

C- Warrior - Those screenshots looks suspiciously identical to some screenshots I took and posted on another forum :p I was gonna post them here, but as far as I know imageshack is banned on these forums.

Brofist

1up review was a joke. It's not possible to be so far off. Seriously the guy should be ashamed of himself. Even a raging console fanboy wouldn't have written such an uninformed review.

That review is soooo weird. Hope this one sells well enough for Capcom to think about more PC ports and I don't mind if they come months later to counter the piracy induceed by hype.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Here are some captures: it's at 1280x960 at high settings with 4xAA and the framerate is around 100 all the time.
If you're getting 100 all the time, you either have a CRT set to 100hz (hopefully) are have disabled v-sync (which would be a terrible thing to do). Which is it? :p

Sectus

dark10x said:
If you're getting 100 all the time, you either have a CRT set to 100hz (hopefully) are have disabled v-sync (which would be a terrible thing to do). Which is it? :p
Since I'm the one who took actually those screenshots at those settings I suppose I should answer :p

I'm running v-sync off. The framerate fluctuates quite a bit and a few times it's below 85 (which is my refresh rate) and I wouldn't want a heavy framerate hit whenever it happens. Besides I can't actually notice any screen tearing so far. I also increased all the settings to super high and the game still runs smooth (around 85 most of the time). I also tried 1600x1200 and it still ran at a playable framerate (around 55), but I'm sticking with 1280x960 as I'm starting to really like the silky smooth framerate.

dark10x

Sectus said:
Since I'm the one who took actually those screenshots at those settings I suppose I should answer :p

I'm running v-sync off. The framerate fluctuates quite a bit and a few times it's below 85 (which is my refresh rate) and I wouldn't want a heavy framerate hit whenever it happens. Besides I can't actually notice any screen tearing so far. I also increased all the settings to super high and the game still runs smooth (around 85 most of the time). I also tried 1600x1200 and it still ran at a playable framerate (around 55), but I'm sticking with 1280x960 as I'm starting to really like the silky smooth framerate.
Well, if you're happy, that's good. I much prefer locking the framerate to 60 fps, however. There's no reason to go higher than a perfectly locked 60 fps. It won't LOOK any smoother at a higher framerate.

Sectus

Well, I'm fairly sure I can see a difference between 60 and 85 fps. Definitely not as big as the difference between 30 and 60 though. But as the game actually runs stable at 85 most of the time I might as well stick with it.

Also, people who has played the 360 and PS3 versions might notice something in this screenshot:
DevilMayCry4_DX92008-07-1115-42-55-.jpg

Pretty shadows :b

DEO3

I've never played a console port on my PC before, but I just did a major overhaul on my system and have been looking for some games to give it a work out. Is buying a gamepad to play console ports a necessity, I'd imagine so?

Sectus

DEO3 said:
I've never played a console port on my PC before, but I just did a major overhaul on my system and have been looking for some games to give it a work out. Is buying a gamepad to play console ports a necessity, I'd imagine so?
Depends a lot on the game. DMC3, DMC4 and RE4 are the console ports I can think of which benefits greatly by a gamepad, though not necessary. You can easily get a 360 or PS3 pad to work on the PC so I'd recommend getting one of those.

If you want a game to give your system a work out, I'd definitely recommend DMC4. It looks and runs like a dream.

Pachael

Okay, no mouse support = no sale. wait what? For this type of game, I'm trying to figure out what the mouse would do - left-click to slash, right-click for devil bringer, move mouse to switch enemies, hmm. :|

dark10x

Sectus said:
Well, I'm fairly sure I can see a difference between 60 and 85 fps. Definitely not as big as the difference between 30 and 60 though. But as the game actually runs stable at 85 most of the time I might as well stick with it.

Also, people who has played the 360 and PS3 versions might notice something in this screenshot:
DevilMayCry4_DX92008-07-1115-42-55-.jpg

Pretty shadows :b
There is no benefit to 85, though. Seriously. The game would look smoothest if you locked your refresh rate for the game to 60hz with v-sync. Try it, you'll see. It looks perfect. It sounds like you're using a CRT so you'll be able to tell.

Now, for flat panels, disabling v-sync is completely foolish.

I agree that the shadows look better, but they are still a bit pixelated. I was hoping they would really ramp up the quality on them, but alas, they are only marginally improved.

Here's how the shadows appeared on the console versions. As you can see, it's very similar. Some areas appear much worse than others, unfortunately, and the PC version seems to have the same issue (to a lesser degree).

928376_20071102_screen033.jpg

Yaweee

Pachael said:
Okay, no mouse support = no sale. wait what? For this type of game, I'm trying to figure out what the mouse would do - left-click to slash, right-click for devil bringer, move mouse to switch enemies, hmm. :|

If you have a gaming mouse with a ton of buttons, you can use the keyboard for movement, and the mouse buttons for all of the attacks.

And is there mouse support in menus? That is something absolutely pissed the hell out of my in Phantasy Star Universe; mouse navigation of menus is superior to a controller, in my opinion, and not even adding THAT for a PC release is a sin.

Haunted

Yaweee said:
And is there mouse support in menus? That is something absolutely pissed the hell out of my in Phantasy Star Universe; mouse navigation of menus is superior to a controller, in my opinion, and not even adding THAT for a PC release is a sin.
The demo has it, so I'd be very surprised if they'd cut it from the retail.

As everyone
except 1up, lol
who played either the demo or the full game said, the PC version is great and has all the perks you'd expect.

Any differences between the demo and full version?

Loading of the demo is a little slow on my computer - takes about 120 seconds to load up the actual game on my e6600 2.4ghz.

Hopefully the retail version is faster, otherwise I'll pick this up when I upgrade / tweak my computer.

Sectus said:
Depends a lot on the game. DMC3, DMC4 and RE4 are the console ports I can think of which benefits greatly by a gamepad, though not necessary. You can easily get a 360 or PS3 pad to work on the PC so I'd recommend getting one of those.

If you want a game to give your system a work out, I'd definitely recommend DMC4. It looks and runs like a dream.

how do you get your ps3 controller to work with the pc? I downloaded a program but it didnt seem to work.

bee

wackojackosnose said:
Any differences between the demo and full version?

Loading of the demo is a little slow on my computer - takes about 120 seconds to load up the actual game on my e6600 2.4ghz.

Hopefully the retail version is faster, otherwise I'll pick this up when I upgrade / tweak my computer.

somethings wrong with your computer there, shouldn't take anywhere near that long, using vista with 1gb? anything else take ages to load?

Mamesj

Banned
Yaweee said:
If you have a gaming mouse with a ton of buttons, you can use the keyboard for movement, and the mouse buttons for all of the attacks.

you need an analog stick for the game. it has a fixed camera for the most part.

bee said:
somethings wrong with your computer there, shouldn't take anywhere near that long, using vista with 1gb? anything else take ages to load?

No, I'm on XP with 4 gigs and a 512mb 7950gt.

The initial load of the game is fine, it's just when I choose the actual game does it take 2 minutes to load up the actual gameplay.

Everything else loads up fine and fast, even Capcom's own Lost Planet so I just assume it's my computer bottlenecked somewhere - it is a very new game after all.

I'll just wait for it to him bargain price, my PC should be upgraded by then.

EGM92

dreamer3kx said:
how do you get your ps3 controller to work with the pc? I downloaded a program but it didnt seem to work.

PS3 pads whether Sixaxis or DS3 do not work with DMC4 I've tried everything, I've used all known drivers, I can get the controllers to work on some games but not on DMC4 or Bioshock.

Zenith

Banned
wackojackosnose said:

The initial load of the game is fine, it's just when I choose the actual game does it take 2 minutes to load up the actual gameplay.

Everything else loads up fine and fast, even Capcom's own Lost Planet so I just assume it's my computer bottlenecked somewhere - it is a very new game after all.

mine too, but I just assumed that's how they avoided having load screens anywhere else throut the entire game.

Mamesj

Banned
EGM92 said:
PS3 pads whether Sixaxis or DS3 do not work with DMC4 I've tried everything, I've used all known drivers, I can get the controllers to work on some games but not on DMC4 or Bioshock.

I've been playing DMC4 with a DS3. You have to use the DMC4 launcher, go into controller settings, then set the buttons that way. My DS3 had high numbers for the buttons (19,20,21,22 etc.) and the game defaults at low numbers.

you can see what buttons it uses: control panel > game controllers (in XP, i'm not sure about Vista.)

Vaporak

wackojackosnose said:

It's supposed to be like that. The game loads a lot before you even start up a level so that once your playing the loads are much faster.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
FINALLY got this thing to load. I kept getting a D3D error on this and the trial. Found the fix at GameFAQs...of all places. GAF was no help.

Solution:

Make a shortcut
right click, properties
Compatibility tab
Run in 640x480
Change Resolution in game.
Done.

Holy fuck at THAT REVIEW!!!

...Capcom should be lionized for actually giving a damn and finally giving PCs something special. Yeah, someone could make the arguement that MT Framework was a PC engine anyways but remeber this:

+ Capcom is probably doing this at more of a loss than a gain at this point as your average PC gamer poo-pooed Lost Planet for the most part already and probably won't even care about DMC4

+ They didn't just slap some shit together and throw it in a slightly bigger box for retail. They went balls out and added higher res assets, new modes, exclusive built in PC Spec testing, tweaking performance (not just "High detail/Low detail"), etc. etc.

I'm sooo proud of Capcom for continuing to proceed with this new course of theirs. Hell I'm fucking compelled to buy DMC4 again on PC outta sheer obligation to support their efforts, even though I still own it on PS3 and it looks like the Playstation3 version is never going to get Trophy support anyway =(
...oh and don't forget we have Bionic Commando coming this way next year and I'm sure that will also be the definitive version of the game

...I mean shit, think about that! ....THE DEFINITIVE VERSION OF DEVIL MAY CRY 4 IS ON THE PC! ....barring you don't forget to map "lock-on" to RT instead of RB =p

this is crazy town!

bee

Vaporak said:
It's supposed to be like that. The game loads a lot before you even start up a level so that once your playing the loads are much faster.

isn't like that for me at all in the demo, take 10-15 secs tops from title screen to in engine stuff

DaCocoBrova said:
FINALLY got this thing to load. I kept getting a D3D error on this and the trial. Found the fix at GameFAQs...of all places. GAF was no help.

Solution:

Make a shortcut
right click, properties
Compatibility tab
Run in 640x480
Change Resolution in game.
Done.

weird fix, definetely never heard of that one before

Mamesj

Banned
Sorry 56k. I was in a screenshotting mood tonight.

I've got everything super high, 2x AA, 1280x720. This game is gorgeous! The jungle looks a hell of a lot better, though still a bit flickery.

2gsg0lv.png

Boooooo!

30ruycl.png

Dante

169m246.png

the mutated puppets

11uf1xl.png

Entering the jungle

bej14x.png

Red Orbs!

ebd47n.png

Absurd Black Orbs!

30j6u5x.png

Love the lighting in this area and the wide view.

21kh18k.png

Just awesome.

Eiji

Never played DMC1,2,3 all the way through.

Is it required to play them to understand the story in DMC4?

Sectus

Eiji said:

Nope. And halfway through DMC4 you'll not care about the story anyway. Capcom + storylines is a combination which simply wasn't meant to be. Cutscenes are still enjoyable though.

Sectus

marwan said:
does the PC DMC4 support the xbox achievements?
It has "accomplishments" which basically work the same as the achievements in the 360 version, but they don't count towards your xbox live gamertag.

Mamesj

Banned
Eiji said:

the story in DMC4: corrupt religious figures have kidnapped your girlfriend. are you a bad enough dude to rescue your girlfriend? and dante's there too.

Mamesj said:
the story in DMC4: corrupt religious figures have kidnapped your girlfriend. are you a bad enough dude to rescue your girlfriend? and dante's there too.

and why do they kidnap your girlfriend? Not for any good reason, maybe just to watch you tear up and scream

Kyyyyrrrrieeeeeeee!

Sectus

Mamesj said:
He asked for the storyline of DMC1-3, not 4 :p

Anyway, I can effectively summarize the story of the first DMC games.

DMC1: Dante kills lots of demons while befriending Trish and says "Light" in the most embarassing way a voice actor could ever talk.

DMC2: This game doesn't exist according 99% of DMC fans so you can pretend it has no story.

DMC3: Dante and Vergil has lots of sex. Well, that's what happens according to lots of fangirls obsessed with yaoi anyway.

Mamesj

Banned
the point is, there's no story to worry about. Though hardcore dmc fans are obsessed with the story that isn't there, it's not War and Peace. You kill things and thats all that matters.

Narag

Mamesj said:
the point is, there's no story to worry about. Though hardcore dmc fans are obsessed with the story that isn't there, it's not War and Peace. You kill things and thats all that matters.

They need to give it up too or advance the story past "oh shit dante remember your dad, Sparda? Well guess what!"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mamesj said:
They really raised the bar in DMC3, although they seemed to have abandoned that plot line completely. There is still a story huge gap between DMC1 and DMC3.

Also, I really hate with they did with Lady's character model. She had this sorta tomboyish cute girl next door look and now she looks like just another unremarkable game babe.

EGM92

Mamesj said:
I've been playing DMC4 with a DS3. You have to use the DMC4 launcher, go into controller settings, then set the buttons that way. My DS3 had high numbers for the buttons (19,20,21,22 etc.) and the game defaults at low numbers.

you can see what buttons it uses: control panel > game controllers (in XP, i'm not sure about Vista.)

Thank you for proving me wrong! I got it to work. Plays great. Now I do have a 9800GX2 on my desktop but I'll be playing this mostly on my laptop.

Can anyone tell me which drivers are good for overclocking a 8600M GT on a Dell M1530, I'm still using the Dell provided drivers. I use Rivatuner to OC the card.

I'm currently using the Forceware 167.55 drivers which are from Dec? 2007

marwan

Banned
Sectus said:
It has "accomplishments" which basically work the same as the achievements in the 360 version, but they don't count towards your xbox live gamertag.

thanks!

oh that sucks, so it's not like "Gears of War" were it counts on the XBL.

Narag

Put some time in with the PC version finally. Console versions should be shamed by how awesome this is.

This is also the third time I've bought DMC4 in 5 months. :lol

gconsole

Zenith said:
mine too, but I just assumed that's how they avoided having load screens anywhere else throut the entire game.

Mine load very fast. Around 10 sec or something with no loading during stage.

Top Bottom