• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers coming to America Spring 2013

fates

I'm actually more interested in this than SMT4.

I don't care if makes me a cranky traditionalist, but it just ain't the same with Kaneko.

cj_iwakura

I'm actually more interested in this than SMT4.

I don't care if makes me a cranky traditionalist, but it just ain't the same with Kaneko.

I think SMTIV's art direction looks great so far, so we'll see. Kaneko did very little for SH really. Doi and Soejima did most of the NPC art.

fates

I think SMTIV's art direction looks great so far, so we'll see. Kaneko did very little for SH really. Doi and Soejima did most of the NPC art.

The new demon designs just aren't sitting well with me. They aren't bad designs really, but to me they look rather jarring when compared to the others they'll be in the game with.

But this isn't too say I'm looking forward to SMT4, but this one is more down my alley.

cj_iwakura

The new demon designs just aren't sitting well with me. They aren't bad designs really, but to me they look rather jarring when compared to the others they'll be in the game with.

But this isn't too say I'm looking forward to SMT4, but this one is more down my alley.

Definitely agree there, SH's cast still kind of has a Kaneko vibe, the new SMTIV demons are just weird.

The characters are great though.

Varna

I was really skeptical when I saw the reveal with the MC and new demons... looked very bad. Once I saw the gameplay videos I got pretty damn hyped. I don't think it will be a very "hardcore" SMT entry though. Ever since P3 Atlus just seems to want to move further and further away from that.

Of course I hope I am wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I was really skeptical when I saw the reveal with the MC and new demons... looked very bad. Once I saw the gameplay videos I got pretty damn hyped. I don't think it will be a very "hardcore" SMT entry though. Ever since P3 Atlus just seems to want to move further and further away from that.

I don't know man, I thought the Devil Survivor games were really challenging. SMT Strange Journey was brutal to me. Fucking Mem Aleph.

Soriku

I know we've speculated on GameFAQs that the new demon designs are a result of the demons being corrupted in some way. It's only like 5 demons though.

I think the human designs are excellent so far.

Eusis

I doubt there's really much reason to have silly speculation like that. Not only have they shifted from game to game anyway but they're mythological entities, they can be argued as shifting and changing with the times and based on the observer.

At the least it's way easier to rationalize than, say, the Metroid Prime series redesigning the space pirates between each game, nevermind they weren't in line with the Super Metroid depiction.

Varna

I don't know man, I thought the Devil Survivor games were really challenging. SMT Strange Journey was brutal to me. Fucking Mem Aleph.

I forgot about Devil Survivor. I found that one pretty challenging. But I always suck at those Japanese strategy games. I found SJ a bit too easy when I first played it. I'm playing again right since I recently got a 3DS. Only on the first dungeon but I don't recall the game getting any harder later on.

I think the human designs are excellent so far.

He always had excellent human designs. Trauma Center, P3, all good stuff.

Maybe? I mean, SJ was quite a bit harder than any other SMT game, but that's mostly because you can get stat screwed with your hero.

Soriku

I doubt there's really much reason to have silly speculation like that. Not only have they shifted from game to game anyway but they're mythological entities, they can be argued as shifting and changing with the times and based on the observer.

At the least it's way easier to rationalize than, say, the Metroid Prime series redesigning the space pirates between each game, nevermind they weren't in line with the Super Metroid depiction.

All the other demons are intact. Just 5 have dramatically changed, and they got new designs to do them. I'm sure there's some story-related reason they've changed.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I forgot about Devil Survivor. I found that one pretty challenging. But I always suck at those Japanese strategy games. I found SJ a bit too easy when I first played it. I'm playing again right since I recently got a 3DS. Only on the first dungeon but I don't recall the game getting any harder later on.

How far did you get into SJ? I remember the game got crazy hard for me at this dungeon (music only):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_7ybWF3WE

Wow, Doi did the designs in P3 proper? I thought that was only in other versions ala Soul Hackers.

I hope at least the box of SMTIV will be pretty and stylistic as P3:

971508_155419_front.jpg

The character art so far is a tad bland in style. Though isn't it the style of how it usually is in-game in other games?

I found Strange Journey to be the hardest SMT I've played, and with the most complex dungeons.

Hoping SMTIV resembles SJ more than Nocturne as far as difficulty and dungeon design, tbh

Varna

How far did you get into SJ? I remember the game got crazy hard for me at this dungeon (music only):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_7ybWF3WE

I am actually quiet shocked at the number of people who consider it one of the hard ones.

I made it to Sector Eridanus before I stopped playing. I was pretty much rolling everything and I just lost interest. I plan to finish it this time. About to clear the first dungeon. I remember being really disappointed because outside of the somewhat intrusive dialogue I really enjoyed everything about the game. Especially the visuals. I think this game is gorgeous art wise.

Eusis

All the other demons are intact. Just 5 have dramatically changed, and they got new designs to do them. I'm sure there's some story-related reason they've changed.
Take the time to look at a MegaTen wiki and the demos there, some look completely different from game to game. Nevermind ones that get elevated to a major story role like the Persona games.

EDIT: Actually here's a really good example: Thor.

Soriku

Take the time to look at a MegaTen wiki and the demos there, some look completely different from game to game. Nevermind ones that get elevated to a major story role like the Persona games.

EDIT: Actually here's a really good example: Thor.

I'm not saying there haven't been a lot of design changes among the series but the changes in SMT IV seem a lot more significant, especially considering they got new designers to do them.

BearChair

I need a push to get me to pre-order this. So help me out.

I'm worried that the game might be too old-school for me.

For reference, I beat Strange Journey twice and beat the secret boss. I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 4 now and am in the post-game dungeon. I think that shows first-person RPGs do not intimidate me.

However, over Christmas I tried to play Dragon Quest VI on DS and could not get into it.

Thoughts?

Soriku

I need a push to get me to pre-order this. So help me out.

I'm worried that the game might be too old-school for me.

For reference, I beat Strange Journey twice and beat the secret boss. I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 4 now and am in the post-game dungeon. I think that shows first-person RPGs do not intimidate me.

However, over Christmas I tried to play Dragon Quest VI on DS and could not get into it.

Thoughts?

For one DQ is not SMT. A SMT game is going to be more interesting. If you played through SJ twice then you shouldn't have a problem enjoying this. And if you like games with a story/character focus, Soul Hackers is supposed to have a better story and characters than SJ.

Jessicat

Went and pre-ordered this today, now I need to camp out for deals on the 3DS XL [or ask parents for one for my birthday ^^;]

Kind of a shame I can't try out my JP version on the same console...and the pre-order bonus for the N. American version is the same as the JP version, so I'll have 2 [it's a great CD of remixed tunes, though the new openeing theme isn't on there]

Tom_Cody

Was just about to place my pre-order but I have a few questions.

1) Is the 3DS port definitely excellent and problem free or should I wait for reviews to come in? I trust Atlus' localization ability but I never read about the quality of the port from the time of the Japanese 3DS release.

2) I am trying to decide if I should download it or pre-order a physical copy. Does this have any street/spot pass features? If so that would make it a no-brainer to download.

3) Are there any other factors I should consider regarding buying a physical copy vs. download?

cj_iwakura

Was just about to place my pre-order but I have a few questions.

1) Is the 3DS port definitely excellent and problem free or should I wait for reviews to come in? I trust Atlus' localization ability but I never read about the quality of the port from the time of the Japanese 3DS release.

2) I am trying to decide if I should download it or pre-order a physical copy. Does this have any street/spot pass features? If so that would make it a no-brainer to download.

3) Are there any other factors I should consider regarding buying a physical copy vs. download?

1) Never heard anything bad.

2) Yes, there's a street pass demon.

3) Do you like having a physical copy?

Eusis

How good is the story in this? I can't decide if I should order
I think it's gotten enough praise, for me the whole style of the game's enough to keep me interested. The gameplay can be a problem at time, but I love the feel of classic MegaTen. Just have to hope the gameplay IS more accessible (they certainly seem to be trying their best there.)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think the deal breaker for me here is if the battle system is good and not that traditional (I didn't like SMT3, Persona 1, and Persona 2's battle systems).

cj_iwakura

I think the deal breaker for me here is if the battle system is good and not that traditional (I didn't like SMT3, Persona 1, and Persona 2's battle systems).

It has a lot of unique twists. Every demon has a personality, and when you attack in ways 'they like', it increases their loyalty, and they're more inclined to do your bidding, and they'll cost less MAG to summon.

However if they're disloyal, they cost a lot of MAG to summon, and may even disobey your commands. Loyalty's easy to boost by buying liquor and certain gifts too.

It's most comparable to Strange Journey's battle system, but really it's an expansion to SMT1/2's; two humans, four demons.

Top Bottom