• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (3DS) announced

Ath

Back in December, Ross at Ghostlight did mention that he would be happy to release both the version and then the 3DS version. This was when the anime was first announced and this 3DS version of Devil Survivor 2 was rumoured. Whether that still holds true I don't know, hopefully Ross will show up to give us an update!

Dolgan

Nice. Devil Survivor 2 was one of my favourite games last year, so if Break Code has enough new content I'll gladly pick it up.

Khrno

Back in December, Ross at Ghostlight did mention that he would be happy to release both the version and then the 3DS version. This was when the anime was first announced and this 3DS version of Devil Survivor 2 was rumoured. Whether that still holds true I don't know, hopefully Ross will show up to give us an update!

I took the link from your post, and made a comment about it on the last blog GL, the one with DSO date. Maybe he'll say something about it.

Glad to see this officially announced. I assume this will also add voice acting like Overclocked did. I'm curious to see the new story content, characters and other gameplay additions they are adding.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Very nice. Still haven't played my copy of DS2, so I guess I'll just wait for the 3DS version.

Atlus's support for the 3DS is really great.

As a 'PAL' 3DS owner, Atlus announcements are always weird.

On one hand I'm like, f**k you Atlus. >_> Knowing they don't care about getting shit out for my country for me to play.

But on the other I'm like ah cool more games to make the 3DS libaray stronger in general and so the overall system grows with success.

I just wish I could have the enjoyment both ways. :( Still waiting for the original Overclocked lol.

Midou

Bought overclocked but never played it much. Was going to wait for eventual overclocked release of the 2nd game too, glad its happening.

On one hand I'm like, f**k you Atlus. >_> Knowing they don't care about getting shit out for my country for me to play.

Isn't that up to a local publisher though? :p

Though if Atlus had a European presence they probably could have kept publishing the Souls series and Dark Souls would have seen them so good dough.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I wonder if Ghostlight will now skip the DS version and go straight for the 3DS version. I haven't heard anything about DS2 for a while.

Midou

I expect Atlus to have a European presence and be able to do it themselves.

Kind of curious how something like this happens though. Like would the American one need to find a team in Europe and have them become a branch of them. Would Atlus Japan need to take initiative instead? I'm sure there is someone to blame in all this. :p

Omikaru

Guess I'll be playing this in 2018 on my 3DS. I'm pretty nonplussed as I haven't played Overclocked yet (out next month over here), but Atlus' support of the 3DS is depressing considering the machine is region locked.

Kind of curious how something like this happens though. Like would the American one need to find a team in Europe and have them become a branch of them. Would Atlus Japan need to take initiative instead? I'm sure there is someone to blame in all this. :p
Someone in Japan would need to set it up, I guess. At this point I imagine it's not worth doing; the transition to digital downloads is happening sooner or later, which means that Atlus USA can reach Europe without having to find someone to distribute physical copies, which is the main obstacle at this point. With various releases that they've been unable to secure an EU distributor (Persona 1 PSP, Growlanser and such) or were digital-only (Rock of Ages), they've gone to the trouble of getting the game rated themselves, and published into European territories digitally without assistance.

Also, pre-emptively: And as for localisation? Puh-leease! Since when has an Atlus game not released by Nintendo of Europe been in anything but English?

serplux

Europe's usually an afterthought in Nintendo's plans because it's always been the weakest market for them. I've always been curious as to why that is. I'm sure that has a big factor in Atlus' plans.

Khrno

In an ideal world, they should have the localization (to english) team in Japan, and work hand to hand with the developers, that would allow them to aim for simultaneous or near to, worldwide releases.

Europe's usually an afterthought in Nintendo's plans because it's always been the weakest market for them. I've always been curious as to why that is. I'm sure that has a big factor in Atlus' plans.

And even so, NoE > NoA, for the last 5 years or so.

Omikaru

And even so, NoE > NoA, for the last 5 years or so.

Absolutely. From a first party perspective, I'm rarely disappointed in NoE. We've had Inazuma Eleven, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, Another Code R to name three games that I'm happy about. Not to mention Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower... Nintendo has definitely been making a good effort on this side of the pond.

It's third parties who are dropping the ball in Europe. Nintendo's boneheaded region lock does not help matters.

serplux

Absolutely. From a first party perspective, I'm rarely disappointed in NoE. We've had Inazuma Eleven, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, Another Code R to name three games that I'm happy about. Not to mention Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower... Nintendo has definitely been making a good effort on this side of the pond.

It's third parties who are dropping the ball in Europe. Nintendo's boneheaded region lock does not help matters.

Yeah, I've been frustrated with NoA for being slow digitally; there's no reason why it should take a month or so for Zen Pinball 2 or Puddle to release here, nor is there any reason for us still not to have Kirby's Dreamland 2 or Wario Land III ages after you guys got it.

My opinion on the region lock: I dislike playing games in a language I don't understand because I feel as though I'm getting a diminished experience; it's just not as fun, and I don't want that to happen. Plus, there's no games being released in Europe on the 3DS that aren't being released here. So while I'd like the option to import games, it doesn't really affect me.

Hadn't played 2 yet, and it seems to be temporarily OOP, so I'll just wait. Of course with Overclocked I only got 1 ending. Still need to go back and get the rest.

kewlmyc

No Persona 5 this month then.

So no P5 this month.

Fucking fuck.

Why do you guys assume P5 is going to be announced any time soon? SMTIV hasn't even been released yet. Just a year ago we learned that the character models were just finished. I'd give it another year before we learn anything.

I have a huge dilemma, what version of P3 is better: P3 FES or P3P? But I haven't been able to find an answer, so what I conclude was that I (everyone) need Persona 3 Vitable FES.

Also, I wouldn't mind a portable, modernized version of Nocturne, or simply just ports of the 3 SMT games to 3DS, so we can have all the main games on 3DS and all the Persona games on Vita, specially since the first 2 weren't released overseas.

Please, no more ports. Just no. Also P3FES is better for storytelling, and P3P is better for social links and combat.

I've never played the Devil Survivor games, but now I can get both when I eventually get a 3DS. Looking forward to it.

Omikaru

My opinion on the region lock: I dislike playing games in a language I don't understand because I feel as though I'm getting a diminished experience; it's just not as fun, and I don't want that to happen. Plus, there's no games being released in Europe on the 3DS that aren't being released here. So while I'd like the option to import games, it doesn't really affect me.

Language barriers are generally an effective region lock in and of themselves. And if the game is in your language, then why the heck should you not be allowed to play it? Nintendo does not need to protect us from foreign language versions of games, which is an argument in favour of region locking that I'm hearing more of these days...

Also, as far as NoE exclusives: Inazuma Eleven 3. You probably won't be getting that in the US any time soon. The region lock has boned the absolutely small minority of people in America who want to play that game, despite it also being available in English.

P90

This is great news. I loved Devil Survivor 2. I'll preorder any limited edition they have on day 1. Atlus, take my money!

It would be cool if you could get perks from a save/cleared game save file from the original DS1, DS1: Overclocked and/or original DS2.

serplux

Language barriers are generally an effective region lock in and of themselves. And if the game is in your language, then why the heck should you not be allowed to play it? Nintendo does not need to protect us from foreign language versions of games, which is an argument in favour of region locking that I'm hearing more of these days...

Also, as far as NoE exclusives: Inazuma Eleven 3. You probably won't be getting that in the US any time soon. The region lock has boned the absolutely small minority of people in America who want to play that game, despite it also being available in English.

I absolutely agree that there shouldn't be a region lock, especially for a portable system. It's too anti-consumer. I've heard that the reason for it was due to the higher ups at smaller Nintendo subsidiaries, like Korea and Australia, complaining that all people were doing was importing games, leading to diminished sales.

I've always been curious about the Inazuma Eleven series, but Level-5 has never released a single game in that series over here in the US, even though it does pretty well in sales within Europe; so there is probably a decent market for here. Personally though, there are way to many other 3DS games coming out this year I'm interested in to be worked up about a single game.

Hard to get excited about Atlus doing yet another re-release, only this time for a game that is less than two years old.

As much as I love their games, I'm starting to be uncomfortable with the thought of giving them money for first-run games. Why buy DS3 if everything points to DS3Overclocked in just two years? Why buy SMTIV if there's a chance of SMTIV reloaded (Japan got the Maniax edition after the OG release)? Why buy P5, with the likelihood of P5 Golden FES?

These games are too long and usually have multiple endings. I just don't see the appeal of paying twice for a game that I will have already spent 100+ hours on getting multiple endings

Takao

Banned
Atlus <3 3DS!

Complains about Falcom releasing ports.

ZG7o7nZ.jpg

Loves Atlus releasing ports.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Loves Atlus releasing ports.

Its not a simple port - Persona 3 FES, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Persona 4 Golden etc. wer all well recieved, they know how to handle these re-releases. No need to hate.

Lusankya

I don't know, but NIS America has no problems to publish the stuff in Europe as well. At the same time, not a year later!

Caelestis

Hmmm, I guess I'll just bury my DS copy in my backyard and wait for this. I only got to day 3 and got stuck back when it was released. No point going back to that now.

Busaiku

I wonder if we'll be getting this before Japan again.
It was pretty cool to get Devil Survivor Overclocked 1st as well.

I've been trying a lot of Atlus stuff-- or, I should say I've gotten into Atlus lately, so I think I'll try the game at the very least. Hopefully they'll release a demo or something, since I haven't played Overclock and probably won't due to needing money at the moment. But I was willing to give Persona 3 a try and that paid off huge, so I'll try this for sure.

Busaiku

I've been trying a lot of Atlus stuff-- or, I should say I've gotten into Atlus lately, so I think I'll try the game at the very least. Hopefully they'll release a demo or something, since I haven't played Overclock and probably won't due to needing money at the moment. But I was willing to give Persona 3 a try and that paid off huge, so I'll try this for sure.

I haven't played Devil Survivor 2, but I've seen people say they generally prefer Devil Survivor to Devil Survivor 2, so you really might wanna check out Overclocked.

Top Bottom