• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third on IGN now Wii U Exclusive

Graphics definitely look outdated.
Gameplay doesn't look...too great.
Looks almost nothing like the original thing.
Itagaki, what happened? Willing to withhold a bit of judgment until later but this is NOT going to make people pick up a Wii U.

v1oz

It's not looking as hot as the other Wii U games. They probably need to change engines again as the Darksiders 2 engine isn't that hot.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Itagaki fans had their fun praising his name in Yaiba and NG3 threads

Now his latest game looks like a mix of the worst aspects of both of them.

/smugbayoplayer

So disappointing. but hey, I guess this is better than just thinking of what could have been looking at the old trailers I guess

impact

Banned

/smugbayoplayer

So disappointing. but hey, I guess this is better than just thinking of what could have been looking at the old trailers I guess

We'll always have NGB

This though, I have no idea why anyone paid money for this

The megatons

imrsoWN7a0fvJ.gif

Kusagari

I was trying to think of what this game reminded me of and then it hit me.

The gunplay/melee combination reminds me a lot of the Deadpool game.

And that isn't really a good thing.

Ninja Dom

We'll always have NGB

This though, I have no idea why anyone paid money for this

Nintendo may have picked this up for cheap. Easy negotiations with Itagaki. And nobody else seemed to want to publish this. It's confirmed that Nintendo are publishing this, right? Because Nintendo themselves don't seem to be focussing too much on the game although they put up one trailer.

I'll be honest and say that I'm liking this for the most part, surprisingly.

Particularly the smooth transitioning from gun fighting to sword play stands out to me. Looks like decent, fast paced hack & slaying. Sure, it's a little trashy and might not be the most visually appealing game out there, but overall I will probably get this eventually. Definitely a nice addition to the Wii U library in my opinion. Not really getting all the hate.

eshwaaz

The snap to iron sights is jarring every single time they show it. Why in the world would you go to first person for shooting in a game like this anyway?

prag16

Banned
Graphics definitely look outdated.
Gameplay doesn't look...too great.
Looks almost nothing like the original thing.
Itagaki, what happened? Willing to withhold a bit of judgment until later but this is NOT going to make people pick up a Wii U.
See, this is a more rational approach. This thread is full of hyperbolic kneejerking.

If this gets another year in the oven I could definitely see it having potential. Definitely pretty rough around the edges for now though.

Sundown

Banned
Nintendo taking no prisoners. Good for you Wii U owners, enjoy. I'll add this game to the growing list of reasons for me to buy a Wii U.

Foshy

Lots of people seem to be able to enjoy fully janky ass old style games. That's the point.

Infinitely more janky and old than Devil's Third.
Spelunky and Hotline Miami have extremely tight mechanics. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Lol holy shit, I just saw the trailer, forget the last-gen graphics, is the main character a big bald white guy covered in kanji tatoos acting like a ninja and swinging around samurai swords?? Did they really make the main character the ultimate weeaboo?

Riposte

Man, this thread has been a whirlwind of emotions for me...

Well, shit, I hope it somehow turns out decent, even if its ugly and sloppy as sin.

When's this suppose to release?

I almost died laughing while watching the gameplay video. How did they think it was a good idea to show this game? It needs A LOT of work... wow...

Zen

Banned

/smugbayoplayer

Dont forget all the mad shit they use to talk in the DMC and God of War threads,

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
NG2 would have been another masterpiece if he just had more time

ArjanN

The gameplay demo on gamespot just now actually looked alright, it clearly looks dated technically, but it looks like a fairly solid 3rd person shooter with some more melee options than usual with a pretty fun over the top style.

inky

Looks like a game better suited for E3 2007. Sorry Itagaki =/

It was expected after the delays, limited funding and changes in publisher, but still...

This looks pretty bad. Like a bland shooter with some really janky beat-em-up type stuff in it. Not at all the caliber of content I'd expect from the guy that made Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden, a title that's around a decade old but still one of the best entries in it's genre.

Zen

Banned
I hope Team Ninja Dog comes out with a new whatever they are working on and it smokes this. It doesn't look unfun, but it looks like some grindhouse low budget shovel ware you would pick up for 20 bucks and get a few chuckles out of.

Damn, just really surprised all around. I associate Itagaki with incredible presentation and smooth gameplay and this.......what happened :/

Hopefully whatever he does next is a return to form, or this has some kind of incredible turnaround.

JimiNutz

Banned
My initial shock over this game being alive and Wii U exclusive turned to bitter shock when I saw how bad this game looks now...
Damn.

It looks a bit generic and unpolished, but I think a lot of people are overstating exactly how bad it looks. It looks like your middle of the road last gen shooter, which isn't anything to gloat about, but is still a far cry from a low rent PS2 action game. Itagaki aside it's nothing worth getting hyped on, but it might help scratch an itch for action fans when they've exhausted the Platinum stuff, and honestly Wii U needs a better variety of software in genres like this, even if it's not top tier stuff.

Even a middling game can contribute to a better overall ecosystem, and with Itagaki at the helm it's possible it might even have some unforeseen redeeming qualities when all is said and done. Look at the difference between the Hyrule Warriors reveal and the most recent media. It's obviously not Nintendo caliber, but it's come a hell of a long way since the first footage. I have the sense Nintendo pushed for showing Devil's Third in a janky state versus not showing it at all because they need to pull every string possible to promote the Wii U. I'm curious how long the dev team has spent with the platform at this stage. Here's hoping the final result is more polished and appealing.

Top Bottom