• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devise a way to solve this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

Cut glass panel while keeping pressure on it/bowls.
Carefully have someone else open the cabinet door and gently move the bowls back to their original place.

I'd probably get a laundry basket and fill it with pillows or towels. I'd place the basket directly under the bowls (if this is possible) and open the cabinet. I guess there's the chance that the bowls could break or chip against themselves, but I really think they would be fine if you have enough padding.

The only other thing I can think of would be to insert some thin plywood or stiff cardboard between the door and the bowls. You could then open the door while using the plywood/cardboard to keep the bowls in-place. Then you can slowly tilt the plywood/cardboard back just far enough to stick your hand down and retrieve the bowls one at a time.

Edit: Eh looking at the picture again, I am not even sure you could shimmy something between the bowls and the glass without them falling.

Credit to this reddit thread, where OP took the photo from.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/5d7g25/well_im_screwed/

Where the OP of that thread lied about the photo too.

You_Sit_On_A_Throne_Of_Lies.jpg

taybul

Assuming you have at least some room to open the door a bit, open it just enough for a broom to slide in and try to push the pile back on the shelf or at least hold it so you could open the door all the way and take over.

If not, at least you already have the broom to start cleaning up.

Izuna

Banned
I think me not using the word: Help
And asking the question in third-person (You want.. etc.) should have made it obvious I didn't actually need help for this.

I'm just a silly millennial wasting time at uni.

--

I think "removing the glass pane" sort of assumes that's easy to do. It looks like small vibrations could cause these bowls to fall. I would assume moving the cupboard (without lifting it, which doesn't seem possible) would disturb them too much also.

kgtrep

1. Fill the cabinet with warm water and jello. Water must not be boiling hot, as that will shatter the plates and glass panes.

2. Cool the cabinet.

3. Once the jello is solid, open the cabinet doors, take out the plates, and serve yourself a plate of jello.

Fill the entire room with water. That would probably be enough to soften the blow, but you could add a jet blowing upwards near the door.

Trojan X

Banned
The level of how fucked you are depends on which way the door cupboard door opens and the dimensions & weight of the cupboard.

If the cupboard door opens from the right, you need to:

1) Slightly open the door enough to slide in a big piece of flat cardboard in-between the gap.
2) Slide and push the thin flat cardboard it across until it goes in front of the bowls.
3) When the cardboard blocks the bowls, you can open the cupboard door fully but make sure that one hand is supporting the cardboard.
4) If you managed to open the door fully then all you got to do is slide the cardboard down until there is a gap big enough to save the bowls.

Now, if the cupboard door opens from the left.... then the only way to save it depends on how big and heavy the cupboard is:

If the cupboard is light and small, you need to:

1) Put sticky tape on the door to make sure that it is shut
2) Then you have to pick up the cupboard and gently tip it on its back.
3) All you have to do from there is to open the door and take out everything from the cupboard.

However, if the cupboard is big and heavy, you need to:

1) Tape the door shut
2) Carefully slide the cupboard forward
3) Carefully push the cupboard so it leans against a wall.
4) Carefully fix the problem.

If the cupboard is in a fixed position and it opens from the left and once you slightly open the door the bowls will fall down. You need to:

1) Open the back of the cupboard then fix the problem.

If the cupboard is against a wall or there is no way to open the back of it, plus it is big, heavy, in a fixed position and the door opens from the left:

1) Grab a partner.
2) Open a massive towel and open it like a safety net just below the door.
3) Open the door and both of you try to save as many bowls as possible. Guarantee that some of them will get smashed.

Just open the door and try to save as many bowls as possible.

bosseye

It's bowls, not ming dynasty vases. Put something soft below, open cupboard, catch as many as you can, accept that some bowls will be killed in the attempt.

Or just never open that cupboard ever again.

1. Fill the cabinet with warm water and jello. Water must not be boiling hot, as that will shatter the plates and glass panes.

2. Cool the cabinet.

3. Once the jello is solid, open the cabinet doors, take out the plates, and serve yourself a plate of jello.

The idea ain't bad, I'd recommend a few cans of confetti spray though. It's less of a hassle and the mess is easier to remove. You maybe have to drill a hole on the side of the cupboard for it to work.

Maybe a better idea to try before that would be a hole at the top and fill in some form of filler material that is used to send fragile items in boxes. Would stabilize everything long enough so you could get your hands on it when opening the cupboard.

Mascot

I'd be amazed if nobody has suggested this already, but:

1. Apply for Greek nationality.
2. Open the cupboard.
3. Do a dance on the broken crockery.

BowieZ

Banned
1. Drill tiny hole into corner of glass pane.
2. Feed yarn string into hole until a soft landing is in place.

Or remove the glass pane on the right somehow and reach around.

Pagusas

Elden Member
just rip the bandaid off and be done with it. Accept the collateral damage in the name of moving forward.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Get a can of fix-a-flat and olive oil and a piece of wood. Force the tube into the cabinet and spray the plates with both substances without fully opening the door and also coat the wood. Open the door and late the plates fall, assuming the cabinet is not super high, the plates will fall but not break since they are covered in foam.

Cost, less then 10 bucks (cheaper if the gas station has no cameras)

Mendrox

I think me not using the word: Help
And asking the question in third-person (You want.. etc.) should have made it obvious I didn't actually need help for this.

I'm just a silly millennial wasting time at uni.

--

I think "removing the glass pane" sort of assumes that's easy to do. It looks like small vibrations could cause these bowls to fall. I would assume moving the cupboard (without lifting it, which doesn't seem possible) would disturb them too much also.

Then stop wasting others time. Everybody that needs somebody to solve something like this for him/her should get a clue. How do people even live?

BigDes

Take a photograph of the inside of another cupboard where the bowls are stacked properly

Blow that photo up to the appropriate size and stick it onto the glass

Thus, the problem is solved forever

BigDes

Then stop wasting others time. Everybody that needs somebody to solve something like this for him/her should get a clue. How do people even live?

I think perhaps you are taking this whole thread about seventeen million times more seriously than is strictly necessary

dionysus

Yaldog
Open door a crack. Slide a flat plate of glass/plastic along the door between bowls and door. Push plate against shelves. Finish opening the door.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
1. Burn the motherfucker DOWN.

2. Collect insurance.

3. Buy new bowls and cupboard.

4. Realize that you actually never had insurance.

a.) Carefully lie it down, and open it.
b.)Carefully drill a hole in a helpful place.
c.) accept your broken dishes.
d.) Train for 6 months to increase your reflexes to incredible speed. Open it, and catch every dish.
Credit to this reddit thread, where OP took the photo from.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/5d7g25/well_im_screwed/

Where the OP of that thread lied about the photo too
It's OPs that lied about the photo all the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom