• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos: States can decide if private schools that accept public money can discriminate

Kalnos

Banned
time to petition the states that anybody with a degree from a charter school can't transfer to the state university system? Or at least not easily due to their curriculum not matching mandated states education requirements? Would that be a legitimate way to fight this?

Punish kids for choices their parents made? No, that's dumb.

This is the fundamental problem with vouchers.

Private school systems like the Catholic parochial schools in the USA were created precisely because we wanted our schools to be out of the control of (state) governments who, at the time, were indoctrinating public school students with Protestant Christianity. Vouchers, while they have a laudable goal of allowing low income students to access the superior academic environment of private school, are a door to the government taking control of private schools.

Once federal money gets opened up it will be hard to resist, just as there are only a few christian colleges that don't accept federal student aid to preserve their independence. The increased supply of money in the education market as a result of vouchers also means that the cost of private schooling could go up for everyone.

time to petition the states that anybody with a degree from a charter school can't transfer to the state university system? Or at least not easily due to their curriculum not matching mandated states education requirements? Would that be a legitimate way to fight this?
Charter schools are public schools and typically already adhere to public standards and laws. Vouchers and charter schools are two very different things.

Dirca

*frantically throws money at the ACLU

Seriously though how the fuck is this legal????
Don't waste your money withACLU. Private schools do it now, it's perfectly legal. They're usually Christian schools, and they discriminate against other religions. I'm Catholic and when I was looking for private schools for my son, a largely Baptist school "politely" told me that we weren't welcomed there, even though I'm quite well off financially.

Top Bottom