• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexter Prequel Series Greenlit

deadline.com/2024/05/dexter-original-sin-cast-patrick-gibson-christian-slater-1235928113/amp/
The first 4 seasons of Dexter was top tier television before it completely fell off the rails. I don't have high confidence in this show, mostly because Michael C Hall defined that character. The only way this could work is if they completely reboot the franchise with no connection to the original series. Make it darker/gritty and take it in a new direction. I doubt they do that, Showtime is pretty uninspiring

Edit-Wrong forum, God Damnit

Last edited:
Dexters Laboratory Dancing GIF by Cartoon Network

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Zzzzz. They already covered everything you need to know about Dexter's youth through flashbacks in the show, and it wasn't that great then, even with help from James Remar.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hollywood creativity strikes again. Fucking hell. The reboot was awesome until the last episode and they could've kept it going with Michael. Bunch of imbeciles and I hope this shit flops.

I love that they flubbed the ending again. Obviously nowhere near as tragically awful as the original Dexter ending, but still, what a let down.

Hollywood creativity strikes again. Fucking hell. The reboot was awesome until the last episode and they could've kept it going with Michael. Bunch of imbeciles and I hope this shit flops.
I don’t get this every single time, nonsense “hollywood creativity”, there’s thousands of shows, youre not limited to a random show on Showtime.

I don’t get this every single time, nonsense “hollywood creativity”, there’s thousands of shows, youre not limited to a random show on Showtime.

Taking it up the ass mentality right here gents. How in the fuck are we supposed to get good things in life if we either accept it or move on? Criticism, and complaining are the natural order of things.

Draugoth

Gold Member
When i was young i always thought this was a series of the adult Dexter from the Cartoon Network show.

Last edited:
Taking it up the ass mentality right here gents. How in the fuck are we supposed to get good things in life if we either accept it or move on? Criticism, and complaining are the natural order of things.
Im talking about the line “Hollywood Creativity”. UGH I WISH THEY DIDN’T MAKE THIS. You’re criticizing what exactly? the work itself? no. you’re criticizing a concept.

Im talking about the line “Hollywood Creativity”. UGH I WISH THEY DIDN’T MAKE THIS. You’re criticizing what exactly? the work itself? no. you’re criticizing a concept.

If there is a show that does not need a prequel its Dexter lmao. Have you even watched it? There is absolutely nothing they can get right with it.

Needs to be stunning and brave. Not watching unless it's rebooted with the Killmonger hair and they/them exclusively killing white/adjacent people. Ya know... pilot episode maybe he murders a jewish professor to free palestine, then maybe a garden variety honkey who built a bank in the shadow of a hill the natives had considered holy. Then some Japanese dude who only tipped his transgender barista 10 percent on the app.

The world needs Dexter.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
First game was killer, I went to town on that like a lumberjack, best game on the third rock. I tried to get my best friend Jamal to play it on a car ride we took together, but he's more into sports games, something of a dark passenger, so to speak. I thought given the length of time that went by since the first release, this wasn't going to happen, but...Surprise, Mother fucker! I'm blown away. I hope the Debs make it a AAAA title.

Edit: One day my son is gonna see all these lame ass pun references and kill me. Better hit the treadmill and work on that protein. Gonna hit the butcher's. If I have to duct tape this whole post together, I guess put simply I'm down. Before, with this series, I had bad blood. Slides back and forth, I guess, just please don't make this a crime scene like the OG ending.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The standalone season was absolute trash, kinda reminds me of TLou2 with how they took a huge dump on a beloved character. The female sheriff was also unbearable with everything handed to her on a platter to make her look soooo smart. Sherlock Holmes could learn a thing or two.

If there is a show that does not need a prequel its Dexter lmao. Have you even watched it? There is absolutely nothing they can get right with it.
Remove the murderous vigilante story line, they can take the mindhunter angle. Just concentrate on the psychology of a demented child, play on the struggle between being gifted in school but cursed by his traumatic past. Build the relationship he has with his sister. Focus on the mistakes his father did to enable his curiosity with death, thinking he was preventing something worse.

A lot you could do with the upbringing of a serial killer.

Just concentrate on the psychology of a demented child, play on the struggle between being gifted in school but cursed by his traumatic past. Build the relationship he has with his sister. Focus on the mistakes his father did to enable his curiosity with death, thinking he was preventing something worse.

So, just like Dexter? Gotcha. These things were explored in the og show.

Remove the murderous vigilante story line, they can take the mindhunter angle. Just concentrate on the psychology of a demented child, play on the struggle between being gifted in school but cursed by his traumatic past. Build the relationship he has with his sister. Focus on the mistakes his father did to enable his curiosity with death, thinking he was preventing something worse.

A lot you could do with the upbringing of a serial killer.
+1, Would be amazing if they went with a more grounded/realistic portrayal of the character. Mindhunter inspiration is exactly how this could actually work. Again, I doubt Showtime would ever do that sadly

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
deadline.com/2024/05/dexter-original-sin-cast-patrick-gibson-christian-slater-1235928113/amp/
The first 4 seasons of Dexter was top tier television before it completely fell off the rails. I don't have high confidence in this show, mostly because Michael C Hall defined that character. The only way this could work is if they completely reboot the franchise with no connection to the original series. Make it darker/gritty and take it in a new direction. I doubt they do that, Showtime is pretty uninspiring

Edit-Wrong forum, God Damnit
You are retarded. Julia Stiles was introduced to the show in Season 5, and that babe was awesome in that role - just like Carpenter. I have to agree that the casting of the series was awesome and this prequel has shitty casting.

So, just like Dexter? Gotcha. These things were explored in the og show.
idk what show you watched.
+1, Would be amazing if they went with a more grounded/realistic portrayal of the character. Mindhunter inspiration is exactly how this could actually work. Again, I doubt Showtime would ever do that sadly
they would have to, the campy unserious nature the show really wouldn’t work with a child.

You are retarded. Julia Stiles was introduced to the show in Season 5, and that babe was awesome in that role - just like Carpenter. I have to agree that the casting of the series was awesome and this prequel has shitty casting.
I actually really liked S5, it was much better than 3. Much of the Dexter community doesn't seem to like it, which I always found weird. Julia Stiles character was a great wrinkle for the series. I still think the show would have had an all time series finale if they stopped after 4. From a narrative perspective, it would have been perfect, everything coming full circle with Harrison born in blood. It was really S6 where the show became laughably bad, especially with Tom Hanks son as the bad guy. The show truly jumped the shark that season

Last edited:

Hudo

Come on, man. I genuinely got excited because I thought you were talking about Daxter of Jak & Daxter fame...

JRW

I'm still in disbelief how badly they flubbed the finale endings not once but twice.. Was an amazing show otherwise.

Kazdane

Gold Member
Ah, a great addition to Gamepass, surely

Also:
Love the idea, I enjoyed the show way more than I was expecting at first

I love that they flubbed the ending again. Obviously nowhere near as tragically awful as the original Dexter ending, but still, what a let down.
It's a weird ending, because it seems like it's setting up something more open ended and then in like 5 minutes flat it goes "nah, fuck all that" and turns out to be a definitive one, absolute whiplash.

It's not great, I can understand people's issues, but for me I accepted it as "ok, that's the end of this story", I really enjoyed it up to that point, but it's like they ran out of time, Hall didn't want to do a second miniseries, not a movie or something like that, so they just quickly had to rush into an ending.

As for this, Michael C Hall IS this series, without him there's zero point, I'm glad they're at least not doing the idea of following his son, but this is still dumb, considering the state of modern TV in general, I doubt this is going to be worth watching.

Stafford

You got that right. It was great with Trinity and should have ended there. Wasn't Deb actually in love with Dex in a season after that? I recall something of the sort, truly pathetic.

I never gave the new season after the show fully ended a chance, worth it or hell no?

You got that right. It was great with Trinity and should have ended there. Wasn't Deb actually in love with Dex in a season after that? I recall something of the sort, truly pathetic.

I never gave the new season after the show fully ended a chance, worth it or hell no?
I thought it was great, brought some of the old magic back, Clancy Brown is intimidating as hell as the new villian.

Just get ready for an abrupt ending.

Just recently re-watched the entire series and even when the show is at its very worst, it's still better than some of the shit we get today. Every main character in that show is so unique, season 5 is so overlooked, and Jennifer Carpenter deserved a fucking Emmy for her performance in Season 7 and 8. Her portrayal of Debra as a guilt and anxiety ridden woman on the edge in those seasons was amazing. She was also the best thing about New Blood. There really should be a sequel series focused on Harrison tracking down serial killers or some shit with Dexter taking on a role similar to Harry. I fear a prequel will just contradict shit we see in flashbacks from the original series, and we already know enough about Dexter anyway.

Last edited:
Just recently re-watched the entire series and even when the show is at its very worst, it's still better than some of the shit we get today. Every main character in that show is so unique, season 5 is so overlooked, and Jennifer Carpenter deserved a fucking Emmy for her performance in Season 7 and 8. Her portrayal of Debra as a guilt and anxiety ridden woman on the edge in those seasons was amazing. She was also the best thing about New Blood. There really should be a sequel series focused on Harrison tracking down serial killers or some shit with Dexter taking on a role similar to Harry. I fear a prequel will just contradict shit we see in flashbacks from the original series, and we already know enough about Dexter anyway.

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Top Bottom