• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF article GTA V - X360 vs PS3

Surprised that the PS3 version pulled ahead, though it seems like in most areas both versions are about as good (or bad, might just wait for the nextgen versions for dat smooth framerate & 1080p :p)

When will people realise it's not happening!!

If you understood in game development time x cost strategy plans, it's not financially viable. They are currently not in the works for a next gen version and it will take them the best part of 8 months from now if they decided tomorrow and by then the game would have lost it's new game value. It's not a matter of hitting a convert button. It's not a considered decision from a profitable business standpoint!

Vire

You and me both dude. As much as I think the game looks beautiful in videos, is really pushing the systems, and will no doubt be spectacularly fun, looking at DF's screen gave me an eye sore. After spending the last few months pixel peeping next gen screens and videos, I just realised how much better they were in terms of IQ and resolution compared to current gen. Next gen can't come soon enough!

And no, states on the left they used retail versions only.

Dat Drive Club video spoiled us. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If you understood in game development time x cost strategy plans, it's not financially viable. They are currently not in the works for a next gen version and it will take them the best part of 8 months from now if they decided tomorrow and by then the game would have lost it's new game value. It's not a matter of hitting a convert button. It's not a considered decision from a profitable business standpoint!

what if they decided 8 months ago? :p

g1360237692262391047.jpg

Embargoes suck for multi console owners, i didn't pre-order the PS3 version because i was expecting a GTA4, Midnight Club:LA, Red Dead situation again.
Yep, I'm in the same boat.

big_z

the texture thing is a glitch, this should easily get fixed on the 360 with a title update.

Will be interesting to see if DF revisits after the eventual title updates to see the differences.

what makes you think the lack of AF on the textures is a glitch? on modern hardware AF is pretty much free but these consoles are so old that it's possible rockstar cut back on AF to maintain performance.

NBtoaster

Even with the texture issue, it's still one of the best looking games on the platform.

iblyI3lBJbsEbY.bmp

ib2eymBuamgQMO.bmp

The lighting is very reminiscent of Halo 4.

omonimo

Banned
Mmm... x360 not use better transparancies in the indoors scene. They are just better filtered, with MSAA I suppose. Transparancies are definitely low on 360 too, they are too much blurried to be high buffer, judging the face off video. Another strange thing is the video ratio: I swear on 360 characters are a bit larger to the ps3. I don't know, but one of the two seems a bit lower of 720p.

Moozo

So optimal setup for 360?
Install - HDD
Play - flash

Install - HDD
Play - disk drive

Install - flash
Play - disk drive

???

Thrakier

Haha, Rockstar strikes again. The framerate is a huge pile of shit, they just don't give a damn for playability and gameplay and gamers around the world just eat it up. At this point, I have simply not much hope for console gaming anymore. The overall quality in "craftsmanship" seems to degrade further and further and people are fine with it. Like McDonalds is the superior food as long as the portions are just big and cheap enough. Quantity over quality. Maybe it's the mobile gaming markets fault, it's success to be more precise. I can't think of one mobile game I played with a great framerate.

Your nuts. The Nextgen version will be a relatively easy port from the PC version. That's the beautiful thing about the next gen console architecture(particularly the PS4's)

It wouldn't surprise me if the PC/PS4 version of GTA5 was out by March 2014

Nyx

Haha, Rockstar strikes again. The framerate is a huge pile of shit, they just don't give a damn for playability and gameplay and gamers around the world just eat it up. At this point, I have simply not much hope for console gaming anymore. The overall quality in "craftsmanship" seems to degrade further and further and people are fine with it. Like McDonalds is the superior food as long as the portions are just big and cheap enough. Quantity over quality. Maybe it's the mobile gaming markets fault, it's success to be more precise. I can't think of one mobile game I played with a great framerate.

It's perfectly playable, what are you talking about?

Thrakier

It's perfectly playable, what are you talking about?

I'm talking about the Digital Foundry Framerate analysis which shows that the game is almost constantly below 30, going down to the low 20s, probably averaging around 26, which is just as bad as GTAIV was.

You know what? If the Rumors about the Playstation VR Headset is true, I hope Rockstar allow me to just explore Los Santos. GTAVR doesn't even have to be a "Game". No missions no shoots out. Just letting me walk around and drive around that city is VR would be mind blowing.

Someday, you will realize how pointless your superiorty complex is because we're talking about videogames - something people play to have fun.

I'm playing the 360-version (because of the pad) and people having anxiety attacks can totally relax. A game reviewing friend who played both versions extensively (I only tried 360) did not notice any difference what so ever.

When driving/running around, you are not really studying ground textures anyways in my experience. Anyways. The heavy use of triggers in the game really means I cannot play on PS3.

Also..

I'm talking about the Digital Foundry Framerate analysis which shows that the game is almost constantly below 30, going down to the low 20s, probably averaging around 26, which is just as bad as GTAIV was.

It really shows too. That is the biggest problem. Not some ground textures just a small % will notice.

Nyx

I understood but you also said : ''they just don't give a damn for playability and gameplay ''

nib95

Banned

Ahem...

Realise who you're speaking to. I honestly don't mean offence by this, but I honestly do believe he may have some kind of condition that exasperates frame rate issues tend fold over what normal people experience.

Thrakier, honestly dude, if I was you, and again, I promise I say this in kindness and with no ill intent, I'd book a doctors appointment or opticians and see if anything is up. The way you've described 30fps games to me in the past, unplayable, disgusting, eye sore, head ache inducing or terminology along those lines and more, I think it might possibly be a biological thing that is unique to only a select few. Maybe your eyes function differently to most or something, and as a result are more sensitive to lower frame rates?

Vire

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

When someone says that the two platforms are virtually indistinguishable in terms of environmental detail twice in an article (their words, not mine) and then in another two parts of the article says that the 360 version suffers from AF texture filtering issues even without disc installation issues - they are completely at odds with each other.

It's misleading and confusing to the reader.

Secondly, seems like they didn't do their homework and didn't test the PSN digital version to see if the texture pop in problems persist on another platform. Sloppy all around.

Thrakier

I understood but you also said : ''they just don't give a damn for playability and gameplay ''

That is how it works in my eyes. Those devs who really care for playability (and therefore gameplay) make sure, that their game, in a "mechanical" way, works the best it can. That means they need to care for framerate (first and foremost) and then for image quality (the impact is not nearly as bad as stuttering though). But great gameplay is hard too sell. What's easy to seel is 10x times bigger city, 100x more weapons, 5x longer. So I get the impression they put quantity over quality and reviewers even support that mindset by handing out 10s left and right. I think that this goes in a completly wrong direction.

ufo8mycat

You are just overly sensitive to frame rate.
You need to relax and be less sensitive, you will enjoy gaming more.

If not, theres always PC
Options :D

leng jai

I do wish developers would base their games around a certain standard, ie 30fps/720p rather than leaving it as an afterthought.

inner-G

Banned
For a similar comparison, how did RDR run on PC?

DieH@rd

Banned
Trevor's area, night, thunderstorm...... incredibly pretty. When lightning strikes, and the way mountains and clouds and ground is illuminated... insane for currentgen.

You are just overly sensitive to frame rate.
You need to relax and be less sensitive, you will enjoy gaming more.

If not, theres always PC
Options :D

If only I'd thought to become less sensitive to frame rate before... jeez. Think of all the fun I could have had with games where the framerate drops were more than I could tolerate.

You're a goddamn genius.

Honestly though, yes, games are fun, apart from when they aren't. Those of us sensitive to frame rates heading south of 30 fps can't change how much it impacts the fun we get from that game any more than we can change our sexual orientation.

I had loads of fun with GTA4. After I rebought it on PC and could run it with a higher frame rate. So I'm waiting for a PC version. Might I still be waiting years later as I am with Red Dead Redemption? Yep. But I can't do anything else. I'm not going to buy a game I won't be able to enjoy.

Metfanant

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

When someone says that the two platforms are virtually indistinguishable in terms of environmental detail twice in an article (their words, not mine) and then in another two parts of the article says that the 360 version suffers from AF texture filtering issues even without disc installation issues - they are completely at odds with each other.

It's misleading and confusing to the reader.

Secondly, seems like they didn't do their homework and didn't test the PSN digital version to see if the texture pop in problems persist on another platform. Sloppy all around.

1. the textures ARE the same...but there is something causing them to be displayed IN THE DISTANCE differently...this seems more of a rendering glitch than anything else...

2. they had previously mentioned that the were only going to compare retail versions of the game

Vire

GTA never has and never will be a graphical powerhouse. Does it look and run better than Saints Row IV? Hell yeah, but I'm still not being blown away like I was with other Open World games like Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed.

Sure you could argue the cities of GTA are much larger, but I'm not sure that's a great compromise when your buildings, ground and clothing textures look like mud.

Different game, different goals. For what it is, it does it well enough. Just wish this was for next gen platforms as it has a really great art direction in terms of lighting.

Mumford

I'm happy, as this is the first GTA/R* game I'm getting on PS3 because I'm cancelling my Live. I'll still totally double dip for the PS4/PC version though :)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This isn't what I had in mind in 2006 when they announced those 'next-gen' consoles.

Do you REALLY think all the games that'll come out on this coming "next generation" will be rock solid 30/60 FPS ?

This is what happens when you push closed/fixed old, out dated hardware to it's absolute limits. Something's gotta give.

Could any 360 owners chime in on how bad the texture issue really is, I don't mind the disc thing since my launch fat ps3 is twenty times louder because of dust embedded within. I'd also prefer the 360 controller and I'd imagine multiplayer is going to be better on live. Are the textures super blurry or is it managable, all of the compression on the streams makes it hard to see.

Nothing to really crow about, in all honesty. I'll be sticking to the 360 version, as that's where I have more friends. I'll likely end up having 3 copies once the PC/X1 versions release, unless the next-gen consoles allow for mods. :)

At this point, I have simply not much hope for console gaming anymore. The overall quality in "craftsmanship" seems to degrade further and further and people are fine with it.
Dude, you're just having a meltdown or amnesia but shitty framerates have been around forever. It's not a new trend that shows how little the people making these games care, it's just a tradeoff between pushing visuals and framerate. It will always exist.

ufo8mycat

Could any 360 owners chime in on how bad the texture issue really is, I don't mind the disc thing since my launch fat ps3 is twenty times louder because of dust embedded within. I'd also prefer the 360 controller and I'd imagine multiplayer is going to be better on live. Are the textures super blurry or is it managable, all of the compression on the streams makes it hard to see.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EtNFFZIa!UUUWRR...mnvSMZgk92loWk

360 footage uncompressed 720P - no spoilers just random driving

The hardware is over 6 years old.

If you watch the above footage, I think Rockstar have done an awesome job, considering the age of the hardware.

Good to see they made the PS3 version identical for those looking at the closer details.

Top Bottom