• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Assassin's Creed Valhalla: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/ Series S Next-Gen Comparison!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

He used the same save file and said the XSX version ''on the left'' have better draw destance

tenor.gif

CobraXT

Banned
Only some xbox hardcore fans use sources no one has ever known and have xbox all over their twitter and bash ps5 non stop. Yikes . No thanks

lol .. he have a youtube channel with 1.46 million subscribers, try again

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why is Series S slipping under the radar? Just over 1080p at 30fps isn't great performance this early on in the game.

Let's be honest, nobody truly cares about that anemic (in 2020) box on a more hardcore gamer forum, other than fanatics who want to carry water for the brand. And for those who say they are buying it for their kids, understandable, even less a reason to care about performance showdowns.

Last edited:

Dogman

I feel bad for anyone who got a Series S and fell for MS's promise of 1440p/60. Anyone who knows anything about tech especially in the PC space knew that the Series X and PS5 were already going to be struggling with 4k/60 (as is evident here where none of them even reach it). A 4tf console was hardly gonna reach the 1440p target and it's now relegated to 1080p/30fps on next gen titles. So much for next gen

yurinka

DF confirming ACV performs better on PS5, Giant Bomb saying Watchdogs Legion and No Man's Sky run smoother on PS5... time to hide in the bunker.
They said 'wait for Digital Foundry'. We've waited and the results are the same as NXGamer and VGTech, unsurprisingly.

What would be more interesting is DF thoughts on a possible Series X hardware/design bottleneck that lets the PS5 outperform it in all these gMes so far.

The 'late tools' excuse was debunked by the Dirt 5 technical director.
Performance:

XSX 15% performance advantage over PS5
In addition to stream data from the SSD way faster, and better memory management, PS5's GPU frequency is 22% faster. The extra teraflops (which are a theorical peak for some tasks, not a real world performance indicator) gives a lead in some GPU tasks, but PS5 has a lead in other GPU tasks. PS5 may have a lower theorical peak horsepower, but seems more optimized to achieve results closer to its potential than Series X. Which results into basically the same perfomance, with some small benefits for one or the other here or there.

And well, outside that there's the loading times, gamepad features, quick resume, etc. Which I think at first sight may be less important than horsepower, but differences here will be noticiable for the average player than the horsepower diffences in both theorical peaks or real world results.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
The only difference on those pictures is around color. Nothing else. Draw distance is the same.

If you don't eat your Ls you'll never grow up to be a big strong boy

Wait did people really think the series s would run games in 60 fps? How would that be possible. No matter the similar cpu it still has only 4 TF which means simplified it could render around 33% of pixels of xbox series x each second. so if the xbox series x hits 1440p 60hz the lowest in a game the series s would hit around 1170p 30fps which is around those 33%. They would have to half that resolution again to around 800p to hit 60fps

waquzy

Wait did people really think the series s would run games in 60 fps? How would that be possible. No matter the similar cpu it still has only 4 TF which means simplified it could render around 33% of pixels of xbox series x each second. so if the xbox series x hits 1440p 60hz the lowest in a game the series s would hit around 1170p 30fps which is around those 33%. They would have to half that resolution again to around 800p to hit 60fps

The only good thing about the Series S is the SSD, everything else is rubbish, no wonder it costs £250.

Greggy

Very disappointing for XSX. I want to play the game and I'm not sure which version to buy as I suspect that an XSX patch will be released.
I can't believe Microsoft said the game would play best on XSX. Something fishy is going on.
Does AC Valhalla use any of the Dualsense features?

The game isn't particularly well optimized on either Xbox. In fact, it's a bit of a mess on PC at times too, my 2070 Super see's frame rate drops all over the place at 1440p.

Unless you have a TV with VRR, PS5 is definitely the definitive place to play Valhalla - but hopefully a patch fixes up the Xbox versions because the hardware is more than capable of doing better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quantum253

So outside of bugs and everything. The "Xbox Series X performing, at it's worst, 15% slower then Playstation 5 at the Same Resolution in areas where they're both under performing." Sounds like the performance dips occasionally for both systems in different areas. That after Boss battle, where the frames dip and screen tearing looks bad, but I'm wondering if this is more on Ubisoft than on Microsoft? I would think these things will and can get patched out. In other words, is a launch Ubisoft game, generally rife with bugs and un-optimization, a good benchmark to test incredibly close performing systems?

skneogaf

I thought this game would be okay at 1080p 60fps on series S.

Microsoft needs xbox series x to consistently beat ps5 for either resolution or fps or preferably both for Microsoft to take customer's from Sony and thus far its not just not doing it.

When is this updated tool software being unlocked or something as neogaf will be way too one sided until this is released (if true)?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Not a good look for Microsoft and their marketing.

"Valhalla plays best on Xbox" their social media team was preaching out just before launch. I wonder how they feel now?

I knew the power narrative would come back and bite them in the ass. And honestly, they deserve it, they haven't exactly done the humble approach with the Series X and it can't even deliver when it counts.

Riky

$MSFT
The S is an embarrassment, might as well be a current gen version. I feel bad for anyone that fell for the marketing and "upgraded" from an one X to an S.

I wouldn't, the One X version has a magnitude more tearing than the Series X version even at 30fps. If you've actually played both versions like I have it's clear the Series S version is far superior to all the last Gen consoles.

Isn't it also kinda fanboying a little, when people say they expect bigger differences between both consoles, once the tools of Xbox are "ready"? Like shouldn't we happy that both consoles perform mostly the same, and it ultimately doesn't matter where you play? Why would you want bigger differences between the two in the future?

Top Bottom