• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Battlefield Hardline Beta Performance Analysis 720p X1, 900p PS4, Framerate issue

Fisty

I will say, to Hardline's credit, the netcode seemed a bit more responsive than BF4, I didnt die 2-3 seconds after taking cover NEARLY as often on PS4

I've personally been a part of many discussions in graphics comparison articles during the tail end of the previous console generation and there were many people that considered the difference between sub-hd sub-30fps console versions and 1080p 60fps PC versions relatively minor because, and I quote, "it's still basically the same game". Compared to that the 900p to 1080p difference really is minor. The average gamer doesn't seem to have a keen eye for these things.

Yeah good point.

truth411

Seriously. Also, in regards to the PS4, I'm not sure why they haven't used one of those resolutions with 1080 vertical pixels and x amount of horizontal pixels, scales WAY better than 1600*900.

Honestly, I don't know why many 3rd party devs do that more often. Even on the PS3 GT5 was 1280x1080, GT6 was 1440x1080 and they looked great.

Kerub

Banned
c7GlUgw.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Instead of reaching straight for the "lazy devs" excuse, we could at least consider the possibility that the actual hardware isn't up to the task.

I'm not going to touch the resolution issue, but the lazy over aggressive FXAA solution they use has no bearing on hardware. Instead it just goes to show how much time they are putting into their AA priority which is apparently not a lot. Even SMAAx1 would be better than over blurring the presentation with bad AA at subnative resolutions.

They literally just copy and pasted the same solution from BF4 with no alterations

Kezen

Banned
To be fair it's not a visually rich game even on PC.

I don't really get why they're still stuck at 720p/900p on consoles...Battlefield 4 was a launch title with everything that involves in terms of deadline and efficiency short-cuts but Hardline had time to improve upon that. I'm aware Visceral don't have that much ressources for this project but surely consoles are capable of better than this.

I guess we will have to wait until Battlefield 4 or Battlefront to see a respectable jump in graphical fidelity, especially if they're aiming for 30 and not 60.

Metfanant

So it looks like they are working towards a pretty solid 60fps experience...and now everyone is losing their minds about the resolution...

Whats it gonna be GAF?...would these same people be posting about how the framerate makes the game "unplayable" if they had pushed for 1080p on the PS4 and the framerate was in the 40's?...

im not defending the game, or DICE, because the game is far from a stunner and there are obviously optimization (or lack thereof) issues going on here...but they seem to have done what so many people have been calling for...prioritizing performance over visuals...

or maybe this just hypocriteGAF showing its ugly face...

Percy

Banned
Much lower resolution on XB1 but still has the worst framerate of them all. Clearly lazy devs not fully leveraging the superior CPU power on offer... probably because of EA's marketing deal with Sony they need to make the PS4 version look better.

I miss Dead Space.

I'm not buying this re-packaged mod.

Much lower resolution on XB1 but still has the worst framerate of them all. Clearly lazy devs not fully leveraging the superior CPU power on offer... probably because of EA's marketing deal with Sony they need to make the PS4 version look better.

I miss Dead Space.

wow.

GameSeeker

Instead of reaching straight for the "lazy devs" excuse, we could at least consider the possibility that the actual hardware isn't up to the task.

I didn't say anything about "lazy devs", that was you.

Frostbite 3 was clearly designed for PC's and if you have a beefy enough PC it runs just fine. It was not designed for consoles and it shows. On current gen consoles, the engine is behind the competition in performance and features.

I didn't say anything about "lazy devs", that was you.

Frostbite 3 was clearly designed for PC's and if you have a beefy enough PC it runs just fine. It was not designed for consoles and it shows. On current gen consoles, the engine is behind the competition in performance and features.

But what other game has the scale of BF? CODAW looks better, yeah, but the maps in that game are a postage stamp compared to the stuff in a typical BF game.

SaganIsGOAT

I miss Dead Space.

Joke?

MaLDo

So it looks like they are working towards a pretty solid 60fps experience...and now everyone is losing their minds about the resolution...

Whats it gonna be GAF?...would these same people be posting about how the framerate makes the game "unplayable" if they had pushed for 1080p on the PS4 and the framerate was in the 40's?...

im not defending the game, or DICE, because the game is far from a stunner and there are obviously optimization (or lack thereof) issues going on here...but they seem to have done what so many people have been calling for...prioritizing performance over visuals...

or maybe this just hypocriteGAF showing its ugly face...

Let's go straight, a really good game to be visually appealing without distracting visual glitches must be 1:1 with the screen resolution and 1:1 with the screen refreshrate. That's a fucking fact. When people talks about prioritizing performance, talk about cutting down shaders/effects/particles/polygons here and there in order to approach to the fucking master rule. Native resolution + native framerate.

Everything else will be ... oh, but pr screenshots, oh, but cinematic experience.... awe moments in fucking set pieces for the mass.

#Run away.

Majanew

Banned
Yeah, sounds like you have a special version not even DF got.

Oh you mean small sections in the game where there's a very brief skip for less than a second? I've put 60+ hours into the PS4 version and it's a very solid 30fps.

DF also said Halo 3 in the MCC was a solid 60fps and it's not.

I don't understand it. The game is graphically worse than BF4 and they had a 6 month delay along with more mature dev tools. What have they been doing?

Majanew

Banned
I don't understand it. The game is graphically worse than BF4 and they had a 6 month delay along with more mature dev tools. What have they been doing?

Making a game for 5 platforms and trying to get the netcode down? I really wish 360 and PS3 would get lost.

Journey

Banned
XBO. It's taken from the comparison tool in the article.

nextgenconsoleskillin92u6z.png

Hot damn, I thought the PS4 version would look better than that given that it's running at 900p, but they're both really bad with the aliasing on the wires and the blurriness seen on the motorcycle tank. What happened to DICE? they were so good.

So... 1.5 years after console launch, full suite of development tools throughout the process, final hardware to work on for 2+ years, no rush to hit launch, a 6 month delay and SDK improvements abound for both consoles..

and they manage to release a less visually impressive game at the same IQ settings for both consoles.

Way to go guys, way to go.

:slow golf clap:
^ all of this

Metfanant

Let's go straight, a really good game to be visually appealing without distracting visual glitches must be 1:1 with the screen resolution and 1:1 with the screen refreshrate. That's a fucking fact. When people talks about prioritizing performance, talk about cutting down shaders/effects/particles/polygons here and there in order to approach to the fucking master rule. Native resolution + native framerate.

Everything else will be ... oh, but pr screenshots, oh, but cinematic experience.... awe moments in fucking set pieces for the mass.

#Run away.

yes, of course...in a perfect world you want to deal with native resolutions and native refresh rates...or at the very least evenly divisible res/rates so you dont introduce any judder or scaling artifacts...

but <1080p resolutions did not stop games from last gen (Killzones, Uncharteds, etc) from looking great...

i realize people are talking more about shaders/effects/particles/etc...but regardless, this is obviously a situation where the resolution bump is going to effect things negatively...900p (Ryse) or even 720p (see last gen games) do not inherently have to look ugly...if they can nail the 60fps experience...or at least get damn close then i think anyone complaining about the visuals needs to think twice the next time they show up calling a 30fps game unplayable...

Mugatu

It's a fun game and luckily I don't play PC side-by-side with my console so I don't really miss the loss in IQ while playing.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I would be lying if I said I had an interest in this game but it's Battlefield, my go to FPS franchise so, I do take a look...

Disappointing to hear this. Nonetheless, final code is what I shall judge.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One of the worst looking games I've played on PS4. BF4 looked considerably better. The gun models are unacceptable.

Top Bottom