• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Battlefield Hardline Beta Performance Analysis 720p X1, 900p PS4, Framerate issue

Visceral.
Ok, so I wasn't confusing studios then
Visceral did. But the two guys that made Dead Space 1 left and are now at Sledgehammer Games (COD: AW).
Gotchya!
Were the guys who left CTOs, tech leads and what not? I think the reason why COD AW is so technically proficient is because Jorge Jimenez is on the team.
Why is it so difficult to understand that there are people with armored standards? Are videogames what we are talking about. You can't die because you miss a game, right?
I am in full agreement with everything you have posted so far.

Hexa

Wow, so you can't refuse a girlfriend being friendly, adorable, caring, loving ... only because is a dog?? You know, being a dog > all ??

I haven't been keeping up with what's politically correct and what not, so I'm not sure if this is now considered bigoted, but yes species > all.

I can't believe they are charging full price for a BF4 mod.

Seriously I had marginal interest in this only because it had potentially to be a graphically improved BF4 but I might as well just go back and play BF4 and all the maps I got with the premium package that i haven't played yet.

davitpr

And this is with the delay. What the fuck were they going to ship last year?

Taco+bell+tasty+temple+challenge+title.png

Massa

I can't believe they are charging full price for a BF4 mod.

Seriously I had marginal interest in this only because it had potentially to be a graphically improved BF4 but I might as well just go back and play BF4 and all the maps I got with the premium package that i haven't played yet.

They charge a full game price for BF4 DLC. Why would this, which includes more than that in multiplayer, as well as single player campaign, cost less?

kudoboi

lol at people demanding 1080P. nothing can please you guys huh?

if it were to be 1080P/30fps, people would complain that the game isnt 60FPS instead.

on another note, this game runs amazingly well on PC. i can easily achieve 90+ fps on 1080P/ high with 2.5 year old hardware. instant pre order on PC for me.

Duxxy3

something something COD comes out every year why cant we

People don't like to believe this, but there are still a large percentage of people who buy CoD JUST for the single player. They might check out multiplayer a bit, but the campaign is why they buy the new game every year.

Aside from the Bad Company games, which EA refuses to make, I don't give two shits about Battlefield campaigns (apparently neither does EA).

The single player development isn't just for single player though, it's also the box in which the multiplayer is made. I've seen the single player for hardline, and the multiplayer is not being made within the single player box. It's being made in the battlefield 4 box.

Basically EA would be better off making the MP an expansion for BF4, and selling the single player game by itself.

omonimo

Banned
Have you played Dead Space 3 ? It looks really good,
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dead-space-3-face-off

I refuse to believe this is the best they can do assuming their talents have not left the studios.
It's not bad but not exactly astonishing. I remember they were quite good to offer stable performance, but the rest of the graphic stayed in the 'average' range. I remember their last game at 60 fps, Dante Inferno, or something like that, fps very stable but the rest of the graphic ugh.

jelly

Yikes, looks horrible compared to PC.

There is an argument these lower resolutions are adequate in some games but something like BF it's actually a hindrance to game play. The detail just isn't good enough for picking out enemies.

Olli128

I'll stick to bf4 then, I need a big upgrade in visuals or gameplay changes to be interested in buying another battlefield when 4 will be at I've for ages yet.

coastel

That ps4 screenshot is bullshit. On my tv it looks a lot closer to the PC one. The power lines look nothing like that in game.

It look's exactly like DF's screenshot on my ps4. No sarcasm but I sit fairly close to a 40 inch screen and the power lines are horrible.

This game is taking rip off to a new level. I wouldn't at all be surprised if wayyyyyy less than half of visceral games is working on this game with most going full on with the Star Wars title.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

if it were to be 1080P/30fps, people would complain that the game isnt 60FPS instead.

on another note, this game runs amazingly well on PC. i can easily achieve 90+ fps on 1080P/ high with 2.5 year old hardware. instant pre order on PC for me.

Your going to a support a bland looking game like this..even though BF4 is still going to be superior? Don't understand it.

As for the topic

I could not have really justified my purchase even if they hit 1080p 60...but IQ wise this game is garbage just like BF4, but on top of that we have worse level design and gun models too.

I can't say i care that much about 900p vs 1080 if the IQ is good enough, but they use a horrible form of FXAA that just blurs over everything..and that's no good.

omonimo

Banned
Your going to a support a bland looking game like this..even though BF4 is still going to be superior? Don't understand it.

As for the topic

I could not have really justified my purchase even if they hit 1080p 60...but IQ wise this game is garbage just like BF4, but on top of that we have worse level design and gun models too.

I can't say i care that much about 900p vs 1080 if the IQ is good enough, but they use a horrible form of FXAA that just blurs over everything..and that's no good.
I agree. Fxaa at 900p it's terrible. I can't believe SMAA is that expensive.

I didn't say anything about "lazy devs", that was you.

Frostbite 3 was clearly designed for PC's and if you have a beefy enough PC it runs just fine. It was not designed for consoles and it shows. On current gen consoles, the engine is behind the competition in performance and features.

What is its competition? What other can provide better visuals and more expansive environments with that many players and destructibility at 60 fps?

belmonkey

To chime in on PC performance, my 750 ti + i5 4440 seem to manage over 60 FPS with very rare dips below at 900p high settings. It seems to dip more with V-sync on. Not sure what settings the consoles are running at though.

I guess the clothes seem to look alright in the game, but other than that, it looks kinda ugly to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I think expecting it to run at 1080p or at least look substantially better than BF4 on the same hardware isn't outrageous. 900p/60 can look solid, but with FXAA and low quality assets it really accentuates the visual weakness of the game.

geordiemp

How can popcap do frostbite engine and get 1080p60 on Ps4 ?

The maps were not that small, 12 players etc, ran and looked great.

Don't get it ...

Maybe its the high player counts, although I don't really appreciate high player count online games.

I think expecting it to run at 1080p or at least look substantially better than BF4 on the same hardware isn't outrageous. 900p/60 can look solid, but with FXAA and low quality assets it really accentuates the visual weakness of the game.

Running at a 40% higher resolution, or looking X amount better, seems like a tall order this gen. I am not sure why kind of optimizations a dev would have to do to work that magic.

Then again, let's see what the Frostbite PBR upgrade brings us. I still think this game, on a technical level, is doing more than BF4. It just is horribly disgustingly ugly in the art department. The assets look like shit.

Don't get it ...

Maybe its the high player counts, although I don't really appreciate high player count online games.
That game is not using a lot of the graphical techniques this game is using. It is actually using an older version of frostbite (pre object motionblur) aka pre-BF4. Much like how Dragon Age inquisition is using an older verison of frostbite.

Don't get it ...

High player counts, bigger maps, probably more detail to render realistic graphics vs PvZ's cartoony style.

Top Bottom