• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Battlefield Hardline Beta Performance Analysis 720p X1, 900p PS4, Framerate issue

Radec

Yikes...

And I'm itching for a new FPS since CoD:AW sucked.

Looks like my PS4 is gonna be a wasteland of fps games until maybe November
LLShC.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Running at a 40% higher resolution, or looking X amount better, seems like a tall order this gen. I am not sure why kind of optimizations a dev would have to do to work that magic.

Then again, let's see what the Frostbite PBR upgrade brings us. I still think this game, on a technical level, is doing more than BF4. It just is horribly disgustingly ugly in the art department. The assets look like shit.
I am factoring in that BF4 was a clearly rushed launch game and that Frostbite and both console SDKs have been updated quite a few times since then. I also only notice framedrops on this and BF4 in 64 player so I was kind of hoping they could up the res at least for other modes. Also they did say it would be 1080/60.

It's really the assets that are a huge letdown. Better AA and assets would have gone a long way.

Then again, let's see what the Frostbite PBR upgrade brings us. I still think this game, on a technical level, is doing more than BF4. It just is horribly disgustingly ugly in the art department. The assets look like shit.

It definitely looks and performs better than BF4 on PC having a quick run around. I can play at 50FPS+ on ultra @ 4K with MSAA and HBAO off on a stock 4770/Titan, BF4 is around 40+.

Why is the PC version at 1080p?

Isn't GTX 780/GTX 980 meant for higher rez? At leas super sample that shit.
The PC version is actually at 1080 w/ 125% sampling as mentioned a few pages back.

Yeah, the game is certainly not a looker...

Even still, Battlefield 4 never really "clicked" with me and Hardline has. Even back playing the Beta for Battlefield 4, something had always felt off and I never had any fun with it.

But since the second the Hardline Beta launched, I've been hooked. Granted, I've had Strep throat all week and have had time to sit around in my dorm but still; the damn thing is a blast.

impact

Banned
Yikes...

And I'm itching for a new FPS since CoD:AW sucked.

Looks like my PS4 is gonna be a wasteland of fps games until maybe November
LLShC.gif

PS4 is and will be a wasteland for FPS till Rainbow Six

I can't believe people still get excited for these generic yearly titles from EActivision. They really have nothing going for them anymore.

Enilced2

Never understand people saying this should only be $15 or $20... Just a weird logic leap to me. And praying something fails is honestly kind of dickish.

That aside I have to admit I'm enjoying the hell out of the beta, getting some major battlefield Vietnam vibes which is great! Keeping my preorder for sure hoping the new single life per round modes are fun too

TheShocker

I'm downloading the PS4 version now just for shits and giggles. I want to see what it looks like graphically compared to the XB1 version. I have BF4 on Xbox and am perfectly happy with it and have 150+ hours logged into it.

I have no intentions of buying Hardlineat full price, despite liking the concept of the game. They had a full dev cycle and multiple SDK improvements on both consoles and it looks worse than BF4. I just can't wrap my head around that.

El_Chino

So... 1.5 years after console launch, full suite of development tools throughout the process, final hardware to work on for 2+ years, no rush to hit launch, a 6 month delay and SDK improvements abound for both consoles..

and they manage to release a less visually impressive game at the same IQ settings for both consoles.

Way to go guys, way to go.

:slow golf clap:
Read my mind.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That ps4 screenshot is bullshit. On my tv it looks a lot closer to the PC one. The power lines look nothing like that in game.
No, it's not bullshit. That's a direct feed screenshot.

That said, what you're getting at without actually realizing it is the factor of view distance and display type.

The type of display you use combined with the distance from which you sit can increase or decrease your perception of visual artifacts. I can admit that, from my normal viewing distance on a good plasma, the game looks better than those screenshots suggest. That has no bearing on what the system is actually outputting.

This is why image quality tends to be more important on the PC front - most people play PC games in front of an LCD monitor. Sitting that close to an LCD display is the most difficult of situations for managing good image quality, I've found. You need better anti-aliasing and higher resolutions to compensate for the viewing distance and display type.

As a reverse example try playing a game on a nice CRT PC monitor. You'll find that higher resolutions suddenly become less useful due to the nature of the display. 1024x768 with 4x MSAA on a CRT looks absolutely super smooth and clean. It's really quite striking, really, just how different it looks.

Still, when analyzing the visual output of a game one must place all platforms on a level playing field. Analyzing output from a system on a monitor against PC output is the only way to understand how they compare.

That said, in the case of BFH, the shimmering and sub-pixel artifacts visible on thin objects are bad to the point that you'd have to stand a good 20 feet away not to be bothered by them. :\

Copen

Banned
The logical answer is that they simply make the game out of BF4's existing tools without even trying to improve the engine, there is no reason for the game to operate under those resolution given the massive SDK improvements for both consoles.

It's like EA isn't putting much into the game but stuck the Battlefield name on the box hoping to maximize their return. Sony and MS impove their system and tools EA does a copy and paste job and expects success. And the simple fact that this was supposed to have come out 1.5 year ago confirms a copy and paste job for me from BF4 and if there wasn't such a backlash over all the shitty games that released unfinished last year this game would've been pushed out the door by EA suckering everyone who bought it. EA is gonna EA I guess I'm not giving them any money for a long long time.

EA wasting another devs talents on a boring game? Who would have guessed?

This seems like just a throwaway side project while their Amy Hennig team ramp up to full production on the real Visceral game. I doubt they devoted that many resources to it (and it shows).

vesvci

Banned
Visually this game is disappointing (based on beta). Gameplay, they are lucky to be riding on BF4s coat tails.

KOHIPEET

PS4 is and will be a wasteland for FPS till Rainbow Six

I can't believe people still get excited for these generic yearly titles from EActivision. They really have nothing going for them anymore.

That looks so fucking promising. I hope they didn't lie when they showed that demo.

Metfanant

Opinions, I can't play under native resolution/framerate. Those are my principles, and if devs don't like them... well, I don't have others. Luckily I can live in my perfect world.

so you skipped all of last gen on the consoles?? really??...

as for framerate, non-native makes no difference at all as long as the framerate is capped, and solid...a 30fps game will look identical on any modern TV regardless of refresh rate...60, 120, 240, whatever...

900p is ok but you should try playing the game the fucking iq is a joke. I'm not one to make mountains out of molehills. It's just it is really bad. Its like low settings on an old battlefield PC game.

oh dont get me wrong...this game is ugly and im not defending its visuals...im just saying there is a lot of hypocricy here...

if the game was 1080/30 the same people would be screaming that its not 60fps...so they make the game 900/60 and they are screaming its not 1080p...

MajorTom

It look's exactly like DF's screenshot on my ps4. No sarcasm but I sit fairly close to a 40 inch screen and the power lines are horrible.
Maybe it is down to me not sitting super close to my tv then. It may also be because most games look a lot better in motion than in screenshots.

Biker19

Banned
1080p or bust.

Good luck. As "Freedom = $1.05" had said earlier, it's going to become harder & harder for most games to be in Native 1080p later on, let alone having games in both Native 1080p w/60 FPS.

Maybe with PS5 & Xbox 4, we'll see most games in Native 1080p w/60FPS, LOL.

meppi

Lol if it was anyone else I would swear this is a joke

Wait! He can't be serious, right! :-/

giphy.gif

I personally am really looking forward to Hardline. This and the Handsome Collection are my day 1 purchases for the next few months.
Really now?

Expecting a semi-sequel that is built on a year old engine to not have any improvements on it's predecessor warrants a reply like that?
Some people are really trying way to hard to try and paint EA in a positive picture. lol

Same goes for this one:

lol at people demanding 1080P. nothing can please you guys huh?

I guess people who have some kind of standard are in the minority these days. :p

Raonak

Banned
Sounds like viceral have not done any engine optimisations at all. People were right; this is actually gonna be a BF4 mod.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
1080p/60fps is the best possible scenario but I've always said I'm happy with 1080p/30fps or 900p/60fps. I see nothing wrong with what we have here ... apart from the fact I hate the franchise.

Top Bottom