• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Bayonetta Xbox One BC vs Xbox 360/Wii U/PS3 Frame-Rate Test

Hmmmmmmm!, XB1 still does not hold 60fps though, even in the most GPU intensive sequences. Cutscenes and Witch time.......

Lets be clear here, Bayonetta is mostly a GPU bound game, lots of effects. The 360 version was better than the 360 version because it was done by platinum and because the 360 had a better GPU. The only way the PS3 could have had a better or equal version of bayo over the 360 was if a proper developer devved it and used the cell in tandem with the RSX. (like Hexadrive).

If bayonetta was CPU bound, it would have run much better on the PS3 even from the Z studio, because the PS3 had a much better CPU over the 360.

People are saying, but nobody is showing, yet people are also saying they've encountered slowdown in many areas in the XB1 version.

Yeah bayonetta is a GPU bound game, but the problems with the PS3 port are far beyond issues with the PS3s architecture.

John and the rest of the DF team, great work as always!

I haven't played more than 10 minutes of the game but will play through the whole thing. But I wonder if Witch Time is an optional thing, or a core mechanic you can't do without. Asking because I own the Wii U version, and those sub-30fps drops during Witch Time... Yikes.

LOL @ that RE music during the PS3 section. It seems that some picture of some dude flashed for a quick second. Who is he? I'm sure there's a backstory to it...

Final thought. In this thread: holy hell, some people REALLY want the Wii U version to "be THE best." Talk about some partisanship man, yuck...

Jrs3000

Yeah bayonetta is a GPU bound game, but the problems with the PS3 port are far beyond issues with the PS3s architecture.

Being gpu bound makes me want to see how much if a difference the S makes with faster esram and upclock.

How soon before you pick up a S for testing dark? Before pro is out?

etta

my hard graphic balls
"These games", don't have any relevance in a DF thread comparing versions of one game.

There is already a number of BC related threads that talk generally about BC as well as a thread dedicated to the arrival of Bayonetta on BC.

For you to come into this thread with that nonsense shows that you have no interest in the game past a bullet point for your stannery. It's annoying and that's the only reason I called it out.
There is relevence if you are able to think more indirectly... good performance means good dedication by the team means customer satisfaction. With my post I acknowledged the team's efforts and put forth the customer satisfaction angle, I just did so in a different format.
You're the only one that seems to have been bothered by it and your tone suggests there's a deeper reason. Any other person would have just said my post was off topic and I would have apoloized to everyone, but you were aggressive and dismissive.
Good day, sir.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I haven't played more than 10 minutes of the game but will play through the whole thing. But I wonder if Witch Time is an optional thing, or a core mechanic you can't do without. Asking because I own the Wii U version, and those sub-30fps drops during Witch Time... Yikes.

LOL @ that RE music during the PS3 section. It seems that some picture of some dude flashed for a quick second. Who is he? I'm sure there's a backstory to it...

Final thought. In this thread: holy hell, some people REALLY want the Wii U version to "be THE best." Talk about some partisanship man, yuck...

There is an item you can buy in-game to disable it so it's not required really. I think mastering Dodge Offset is a better thing to go for in terms of performing better in-game.

I played it on PS3 and enjoyed it. If I knew this stuff back in the day I would have played it on my 360 instead. Oh well.

It was pretty well documented back then...

Anyway now is probably a good time to sell the factory sealed copy I bought years ago when I thought my OG copy was messed up.

There is relevence if you are able to think more indirectly... good performance means good dedication by the team means customer satisfaction. With my post I acknowledged the team's efforts and put forth the customer satisfaction angle, I just did so in a different format.
You're the only one that seems to have been bothered by it and your tone suggests there's a deeper reason. Any other person would have just said my post was off topic and I would have apoloized to everyone, but you were aggressive and dismissive.
Good day, sir.

So you don't have any interest in bayonetta like I said.

Dueces.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So you don't have any interest in bayonetta like I said.

Dueces.
Where did you get that from? I am excited by the good performance as I've never played the game. If you'd go to the thread where it was announced for BC you'd see my excitement.
Like I said, you should try to think about indirect aspects when analyzing a statement, read in between the lines or so to speak.

Appreciate the effort here from both DF and Microsoft.

I own both copies and guess I'll need to see if the input lag is an issue for me as it seems like it would be a somewhat significant issue.

Admittedly I also like the Nintendo costumes. In the end I don't plan on selling either and as a Bayo fan glad there is another improved version for people to play. Still holding out hope for Bayo 3 on ANY platform.

Cool. Thanks for the info :)

That accessory is pretty expensive for a new player, and to be honest using dodge ofset still will put you in witch time more often than not.

Best advice id give use is use shubra alot (the sword) it removes the need to avoid enemies as much, especially if you use its charged attacks alot.

Justinh

Welp i guess might as well grab it, heard that it never went on a sale anyway

Geez yeah according to xbldb it appears it's never gone on sale or dropped in price since it went up on the XBL Marketplace.

4LUejOF.jpg

Seems kinda odd to me. Having only been two years old at the time, I would've expected it to be more expensive on the store since digital games I thought usually tracked higher. I guess it'd make sense if the game wasn't selling though.

Really happy about the BC add, though. I bought this game digitally (and then physical
insert Olivia Newton John reference here
) because I was anticipating it being added. I never actually finished it on 360, and didn't want to play 2 before playing 1 (I don't like the Wii U Pro controller as much as the 360 pad so I didn't play it there despite having a copy).

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks for the work DF. I got some of that weird heavy slowdown, never in combat though, but I've since gotten the latest update for the newest preview OS so hopefully it won't creep back up again.

Where did you get that from? I am excited by the good performance as I've never played the game. If you'd go to the thread where it was announced for BC you'd see my excitement.
Like I said, you should ty to think about indirect aspects when analyzing a statement, read in between the lines or so to speak.

Look. It's pointless going back and forth about this. You have already admitted your post was off topic.

If you are interested about Bayo, speak up. Any help you need you will find a bunch of Action-gaf players willing to give you advice. But knock the Xbox flag waving on the head. It's not relevant here.

Since you only get Bayo2 on Wii U this comparison has little relevance, and Bayo1 Wii U has extra content on top of that.

It has plenty relevance for people who swore off the PS3 version because of the screen tearing or Xbox one owners who sold their 360s.

Bayonetta is still one of the greatest action games of all time. The more people play it the better.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Since you only get Bayo2 on Wii U this comparison has little relevance, and Bayo1 Wii U has extra content on top of that.

Nothing significant added to Bayo 1 really besides some fanservice. Link outfit gives you parry without taking up an item slot so that is one minor enhancement.
And personally Bayonetta 2 was a disappointment balance, for most bosses, difficulty, and encounter-wise so I could pass on 2 really if I didn't already have it.
People who have an Xbone and have only played the PS3 version benefit as well as returning 360 owners with the improved performance.

That accessory is pretty expensive for a new player, and to be honest using dodge ofset still will put you in witch time more often than not.

Best advice id give use is use shubra alot (the sword) it removes the need to avoid enemies as much, especially if you use its charged attacks alot.

Wait, so using Dodge Offset will still put you in Witch Mode? Hmmm... If true, good to know.

What the hell are you even talking about?

Wait, so using Dodge Offset will still put you in Witch Mode? Hmmm... If true, good to know.

What the hell are you even talking about?

Not always, but witch time is a reward for a perfect dodge.

Dodge offset is just a holding the punch or kick button while dodging to continue a combo string.

Ergo, if you perform a perfect dodge while holding down a punch or kick button, you will still enter witch time.

The only remedy to this is to equip an accessory, but you need 100,000 halos for it, which isn't fiesable to earn until you have played a a good few levels (or the same level a good few times) on a first playthrough.

Add the fact you are actively avoiding entering witch time, and the halo bonuses it gives, and it makes the whole thing an unenjoyable grind. You are better off just learning to deal with the framerate.

thelastword

Banned
Yes, clearly, bayonetta on the PS3 is no reason to take pot shots, because if Platinum did the port themselves it would have been much better, notwithstanding if a technical studio like hexadrive handled it like they handled Zoe2.

I have always maintained that Bayonetta's had nothing to do with PS3's architecture as opposed to a team which did not use the PS3 the way it was conceptualized. RSX had to be working with Cell to off set any weaknesses the RSX had, but the dev team was not up to the task. The short period in which it was ported and the number of persons on the job had lots to do with it as well, but people keep taking useless pot shots as if the PS3 was just unable to run this much better.

Regiruler

For some reason, the Wii U version would give me controller disconnects all the time. Might pick up the XB1 BC version. They've been on fire lately with Deus Ex, Forza Horizon and this.
I don't think that was the game's fault, but I've never heard of that happening except with busted gamepad wireless chips.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh, to clear things up, I think it's pretty darn clear to everyone that the PS3 could run Bayonetta properly (though the reliance on alpha effects would remain an issue). It was a porting issue

thelastword

Banned
Anyways it's time to bring Bayonetta to PC so we can finally have a flawless version.
I think we can get a flawless version of bayonetta on more than the PC right now though. I think a ground up remaster on the XB1, PS4 and PS4.Pro is enough to do this game justice with some improvements to resolution, textures and effects, AF and AA. It's something I really want to happen, since I was expecting a bit more from the emulation here.

Generally yes you could play entire game with no Witch Time and not miss it too much. The games pretty balanced about that. Theres a difficulty and character that makes it harder to activate and an item that makes it so it doesn't activate when you dodge, but when you press LB.

IIRC I think there's a item that disables it completely.

Ridley327

Oh, to clear things up, I think it's pretty darn clear to everyone that the PS3 could run Bayonetta properly (though the reliance on alpha effects would remain an issue). It was a porting issue

Didn't Platinum lament not having the staff at the time to do the port themselves? Even if their games still favored the 360, all of them since Bayonetta are pretty good matches for performance.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Didn't Platinum lament not having the staff at the time to do the port themselves? Even if their games still favored the 360, all of them are pretty good matches for performance.

Yeah they swore off letting anyone port their stuff out of house unless they're supervising at least. Kamiya was supervising the Wii U port himself when it was being worked on.

Yeah they took it pretty personal, despite it being from another studio. Considered it a major failure on their part and apologized for it.

c0de

I think we can get a flawless version of bayonetta on more than the PC right now though. I think a ground up remaster on the XB1, PS4 and PS4.Pro is enough to do this game justice with some improvements to resolution, textures and effects, AF and AA. It's something I really want to happen, since I was expecting a bit more from the emulation here.

Wait for Scorpio, that should easily be sufficient. And a big l o l to expecting more of the emulation, as if it wouldn't be a miracle by itself ( and please don't elaborate what you think about the emulation of 360 on the bone. You don't know about it and additionally people don't care as we already know it will only be an effort to show how it's bad and how Microsoft is bad ).

Not sure if it's cus I'm slightly rusty, or that there is a bit of input lag, but I have to dodge a bit earlier or I'll get clipped.

Outside of that, I'm more than happy with this. NG2 next please Microsoft.

dat vsync

We really do need a good port of this game eventually. It should be experienced at 1080p/60fps with no lag.

I will be eternally grateful to Digital Foundry and their Face Off's for stopping me buying the PS3 version and getting the 360 version instead. With the terrible performance and the worst anti-aliasing solution I have ever seen (Quincunx) I doubt I would hold the game in such high regard if I only played it on PS3.

Thanks John and co.!

Jigorath

Banned
Happy to see it performs well. Should be the definitive version thanks to the Xbone controller.

At least until the PC version.

Nowise10

Have DF ever explained their software that can tell the amount of frames from footage? I don't know anything about that stuff, i just always figured that it wouldn't be accurate at all, and I don't understand how its really possible to tell the amount of frames a game is running using a video.

Microsoft needs to complete the chain and get OG Xbox on BC. I know there is a whole thing with NVIDIA, but I'm sure they can get past that.

For some reason most of my backwards compatible titles run like garbage, unplayable even. My other xbox one games dont have this issue, I think the emulator may be fucked up in my system

No, I want to kill the blue gradient that is always on the screen and screenshot the game without any hud. I doubt I get that with a remaster for consoles.
I also doubt I will ever get a pc version of this gem :(

Yes, clearly, bayonetta on the PS3 is no reason to take pot shots, because if Platinum did the port themselves it would have been much better, notwithstanding if a technical studio like hexadrive handled it like they handled Zoe2.

I have always maintained that Bayonetta's had nothing to do with PS3's architecture as opposed to a team which did not use the PS3 the way it was conceptualized. RSX had to be working with Cell to off set any weaknesses the RSX had, but the dev team was not up to the task. The short period in which it was ported and the number of persons on the job had lots to do with it as well, but people keep taking useless pot shots as if the PS3 was just unable to run this much better.
Your posts in this thread make you seem extremely salty and defensive about the PS3 version. It was shit, fun is going to made of it, get over it.

Nice. Looks like the BC version on XB1 is a really good way to play this, especially due to the XB1 controller.

I'm personally more than pleased with my Wii U copy, but I will grab a digital download of this on the Xbox store if it ever goes on a deep discount.

Top Bottom