• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Bayonetta Xbox One BC vs Xbox 360/Wii U/PS3 Frame-Rate Test

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Have DF ever explained their software that can tell the amount of frames from footage? I don't know anything about that stuff, i just always figured that it wouldn't be accurate at all, and I don't understand how its really possible to tell the amount of frames a game is running using a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVg19CbkXR4&list=PLY9cZ8nX4xmloTGGvKR58Igy4MptFSNGg&index=2

This might help

The software has evolved since then and it's even possible to use compressed media now. That said, there is a limit to how compressed a source can be and we typically work with lossless captures.

thelastword

Banned
No, I want to kill the blue gradient that is always on the screen and screenshot the game without any hud. I doubt I get that with a remaster for consoles.
I also doubt I will ever get a pc version of this gem :(
Well photo mode on the consoles have proven to be a really nifty tool which offers some of the features you mention. However, if this is ever ported to the consoles, I have no doubt it will be ported to PC as well.

Your posts in this thread make you seem extremely salty and defensive about the PS3 version. It was shit, fun is going to made of it, get over it.
What is this? Salty? The PS3 version is certainly atrocious compared to the other versions. It's simply not a fair comparison under the circumstances in which it was made, especially a comparison in 2016 when the game can be played better on 3 other platforms .

Tbf, I have no problems in showing how much better these versions are over the PS3 I could understand such a comparison, but not in the way it was done in that video when a proper comparison of witch time was lacking between platforms and when there was no comparison of the game pre-pro dashboard patch. Why make time for a joke, when the comparison video could have been better with more informative details......It's just a bit baffling.

T.O.P

Banned
Played up to chapter 3, game is as good as i remember

It kinda makes me sad that i sold my WiiU last year, second game was maybe even better

Neff

wait even better than the Wii U version? i don't believe it

The Wii U version has had known issues from the outset, although it's still a highly passable version of the game, with some killer exclusive content.

Thankfully, there's no bad version of Bayonetta, outside of the PS3 version.

DangerMan

Banned
Capture.png

DangerMan

Banned
Were the real-time cutscenes always at 30fps instead of 60fps? What about bayo 2, it's ALL real-time cut-scenes right? Maybe the switch to 30fps for cutscenes is what made me think it used pre-rendered for some.

I actually believed Last of Us PS3 was all real-time cutscenes the first time I played through, must be because of their pre-rendered cutscenes had so few compression artifacts or the real-time game play had a filter that looked the as same as the pre-rendered cutscene compression artifacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnaFpQaGFCA

Great to hear the BC version is awesome on X1, but Wii U will be my definitive due to the awesome costumes which were really neat and having both games on the system.

Oh, to clear things up, I think it's pretty darn clear to everyone that the PS3 could run Bayonetta properly (though the reliance on alpha effects would remain an issue). It was a porting issue

I might be remembering wrong, but I remember the original DF piece on Bayonetta PS3/360 claiming that the game is so tightly built around the 360 hardware and favouring its strengths that porting wasn't really the issue behind its performance.

It brings to mind Ninja Gaiden 2, which had to be dramatically re-designed to deliver good performance on PS3.

I really hope that Scorpio allows 360 backwards compatibility to gain even better performance over the Xbox One and One S. Not that I think what they are doing on the current One looks bad, but that extra horse power in the Scorpio could go a long way in getting near perfect 60FPS in so many of these 360 titles.

MS is doing such a great job implementing 360 games through emulation/ compatibility layers that I kind of want a Xbox One just for it.

Uraizen

Banned
Do all Xbox 360 games have added input delay on the Xbox One? Not looking for "I don't feel it" answers. I'm looking to see if there's actual proof because this seems to be a common occurrence.

Eusis

Guess selling my Xbox version was a mistake afterall.

Well, there's something to be said for keeping the series in one place and second best isn't that bad. Nevermind I don't have an XB1 anyway. And man, I want to find out what happens with Scorpio and these BC games.

Nice cherry-pick, already fixed and explained in the video
He didn't even react to the replies after his post.

Just like thelastword. Talks about how people only tell and don't show and then completely ignores the videos posted in this thread.

Did the Wii U version have extra content and retouched graphics?
The graphics were the same for the most part besides texture reworking, just that it performed better than either version before Xbox BC.

The Nintendo Costumes were also not just cosmetic because they also altered the visuals of other items, sound effects, and each of them changed combat mechanically; Samus had charged shots, Link had a Master Sword, Peach and Daisy used Bowser as a demon summon, etc.

danowat

Banned
Started playing it this morning, despite it being an even better game than I remember it!, the performance is ok, it's good where it matters, in the actual fight scenes, but you can get a lot of frame dips in the cut scenes, and some of the exploration parts.

dark10x

I might be remembering wrong, but I remember the original DF piece on Bayonetta PS3/360 claiming that the game is so tightly built around the 360 hardware and favouring its strengths that porting wasn't really the issue behind its performance.

It brings to mind Ninja Gaiden 2, which had to be dramatically re-designed to deliver good performance on PS3.
That's waaaayyyy before my time with the site.

That said - I do believe, even if it were handled in house, it would have still been inferior to the Xbox 360 version. I'm specifically talking about the game and engine as it exists. An experienced PS3 team would likely have made different choices in terms of the visual make-up.

Alpha effects and other fill-rate heavy choices are not optimal for the PS3's GPU and Bayonetta is CONSTANTLY making use of them. First party PS3 games found ways around this - Killzone, for instance, uses half-resolution alpha. If you create the art with this in mind, however, it can still look very good.

If Platinum had handled the game in house it clearly would have improved but, at the same time, what was their knowledge of the PS3 like when Bayonetta started development? Would they have properly taken advantage of the SPUs to make up for the weakness of the RSX? If we consider that, I'm not sure they could match the 360 version.

A PS3 Bayonetta released in, say, 2013 - a time when the development teams had become more efficient on PS3 - would have been a superior product. Metal Gear Rising ran faster on Xbox 360 compared to PS3, but the gap was much smaller. That's what I think we would have seen if Bayonetta had been handled in house by a more experienced team.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is a great example of how to do it - they made changes to the game to better suit the PS3's strengths resulting in a game that actually ended up running at a higher resolution. It looked different and some of its gameplay was modified, but it ran well and looked nice.

*IF* you were paying attention to the video, you would understand that the scene there represents a bug in the OS that is corrected in the latest preview dash. Only after experiencing did it jump online to see what other people were running into which lead me to update my system eliminating such problems.

If you want to use a single shot like that, what about the section where XO is at 60fps and Wii U is at 28fps?

Awesome that they were able to get it running better. Will stick with my WiiU version for now since it performs well but hopefully the game gets rereleased on stronger hardware :)

Miker

@dark10x I remember watching your face off between Bayo Wii U vs. 360 when the Wii U version came out, and your verdict saying the Wii U version was the definitive version, without any mentions of the framerate issues prominent in later chapters. Then I played it, and jebus the frame drops during alpha effects are absurd - certain sections of the game make W101 look good. why john why :(

A real shame, as it's the only version I have right now.

Piccoro

A reminder that the Wii U version is the only one that has Japanese voice over. Same actors from Bayonetta 2 and the Anime.
This makes it the best version for me :)

Astral Dog

Only the extra costumes, they had a few effects here and there.
Overall Xbone owners should be happy with this version and Wii U owners with theirs (and the sequel)

jacobeid

Banned
There's enough of a difference that I'll pick it up on xbox even though I own it on Wii U as well. I can't own the game too many times ;)

Started playing it this morning, despite it being an even better game than I remember it!, the performance is ok, it's good where it matters, in the actual fight scenes, but you can get a lot of frame dips in the cut scenes, and some of the exploration parts.
Are you in the preview program?

jimboton

I don't actually have a good way of measuring. I can fudge it using 240fps camera recording, which is useful when there is a HUGE input lag difference, but for this case, I'm not sure I can easily show or test the difference.

Dunno man, Richard Leadbetter manged it in 2009 with a 60fps camera.

link

Admittedly that´s a pretty big lag (Killzone 2). But then 240fps is 4x more..

Input lag is something that affects the feel of a game far more than a few torn frames here and there. It's the main reason why 60 fps is preferable to 30 (input lag is halved all other things being equal).

dark10x

Dunno man, Richard Leadbetter manged it in 2009 with a 60fps camera.

link

Admittedly that´s a pretty big lag (Killzone 2). But then 240fps is 4x more..

Input lag is something that affects the feel of a game far more than a few torn frames here and there. It's the main reason why 60 fps is preferable to 30 (input lag is halved all other things being equal).
Yeah, I've done it with a camera before too (Rise of the Tomb Raider) but the lag was also significant. Here, it's quite minor and I couldn't make a definitive call on it.

-shadow-

I always wonder how much the slight improvement on textures and the higher resolution shadows on the WiiU impacts the performance of the game. I personally consider it the best version due too thr extras. Though that frame rate during that boss segment is really really really bad and it happens more then just there. Though Scorpio will be very interesting next year in terms of improving BC performance. Really looking forward to that!

It's probably something like that, but I really do not know for certain. It's clearly not a performance issue in the traditional sense.
I always wondered if it was a AI thing. I don't remember the game ever stuttering while playing local without it or when online. Though the heightened tension of such a match could be it.

Were the real-time cutscenes always at 30fps instead of 60fps? What about bayo 2, it's ALL real-time cut-scenes right? Maybe the switch to 30fps for cutscenes is what made me think it used pre-rendered for some.
As far as I know all cutscenes in Bayonetta (and 2 for that matter) are rendered in real-time no matter what kind kf insane thing is happening on-screen. Although there's of course the cutscenes that aren't animated and just switch between different stills, so there's also that.

WiiU version has some additional costumes, some of which add different effects and sounds. I dunno about retouched graphics, but I noticed compared to the original release the Jeanne model was given a smaller bustline to match her concept art and Bayo 2 canonical appearance.

Max_Po

Banned
A reminder that the Wii U version is the only one that has Japanese voice over. Same actors from Bayonetta 2 and the Anime.
This makes it the best version for me :)

I do not understand Japanese so I don't give a flying shit about Wii U having it. Nor do I care about fisher toy Wii U pro controller..

Is Scorpio going to retain 360 BC? And is it wrong that replaying this is probably the first thing I'm going to do after buying an Xbone? Either way, always great work from DF

Top Bottom