• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF:Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War - PS5 vs PC - Settings And Performance Analysis

Haven't watched the comparison, but let me guess. The Playstation 5 isn't running everything on Ultra?

I'm curious if both consoles have the same settings. I've seen the comparisons and it does appear the two are identical but I haven't read about any differences in detail settings between the two.

PC will always be king but everyone knows that. Still the PS5 and the XSX are one heck of a value at their respective price points.

I should stop watching these videos. I always get swept up in the hype of new consoles and expect more than is realistically possible. Lower than the lowest PC settings already in a few games now. I know the exclusives will be great but I went wild buying multiplatforms on XSX and PS5 and with hindsight would have been fine getting them all on PC.

Beating a 2070s is great for the price I guess but 2070s is surely only low/mid range now or at least will be if the 3000 cards are ever easily available.

Iā€™ll still buy every console but would definitely pay a lot more for a Pro model day one that went a bit crazy with the specs. I like cool toys and value for money is not really my priority.

I know a lot of people donā€™t touch PCs so none of the above applies but starting a gen with the big console advantage being value for money is kind of disappointing for me personally.

Ev1L AuRoN

Pretty impressive performance by the PS5.

A 3070 is offering only 8.6% more performance despite being 20.3 tflops or roughly 100% more tflops compared to the PS5.

A 3090 is offering 81% more performance despite being 36 tflops or roughly 260% more tflops compared to the PS5.

Comparing it to and AMD GPU, the 20 tflops 6800xt is offering only 29% more performance for 100% more tflops.
Jnx0WAC.png

This chart here shows the relative performance of a 3070. It offers 11% more performance than a 2080 Super and 10% more performance than the 3060 Ti. That means the PS5 is performing a little better or on par with the 2080 Super and the 3060 Ti. At least for this game. Pretty fucking impressive.

M3g7Aoj.png
If you ignore DLSS that is...

zoeyfan69

Banned
Sure, it runs nice, but it's still lacking a ton of crucial features so I'd still rather play it on my computer even if I get a slightly worse framerate, I can just turn the graphics down a little bit and get even better performance

J_Gamer.exe

Even though some settings were higher on PC Iā€™m actually surprised at how well the PS5 performs here. A 3070 is like twice the price of a PS5.

But with DLSS ON in the end Nvidia is pulling rabbits out of their hat, a 2070 super is suddenly pulling ahead 10-15%.
Dlss is a bit unfair comparison. I mean of course it should be used as its what the card can do.

But similarly a console wouldn't run games at 4k and waste resources and may use something like checkerboarding or insomniacs temporal injection.

So maybe we should compare something like spiderman using temporal injection, 60 fps and rt... and visuals that look so close to actual 4k.

ethomaz

Banned
PS5.

- Volumetric lighting: Low
- Water tesselation: Off
- Motion blur: All (some few samples shows High)
- Texture quality: Max (same if you installed high quality pack on PC)
- Object detail: Medium
- Screen-space reflections: High
- Model quality: High
- Sub-surface scattering: On
- Fidelity of effects: Medium (but using lower precision for decrease bandwidth usage and increase performance typical on consoles)
- Shadow quality: Better than High (RT Shadows is not present in all parts of the game so when not using RT Shadows it uses Cubic Shadow that are better than the best option on PC when RT Shadows is disabled)
- Others options: High *

* He says a lot of settings have no difference between Low and High on PC so PS5 is using the same.

Using these settings on PC you have the results showed in OP.

12106ab86102b37fb79076df83f2ab3172cb8e69cdc5f618379c53b77fda6360.jpg

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

A 3070 is offering only 8.6% more performance despite being 20.3 tflops or roughly 100% more tflops compared to the PS5.

A 3090 is offering 81% more performance despite being 36 tflops or roughly 260% more tflops compared to the PS5.

Comparing it to and AMD GPU, the 20 tflops 6800xt is offering only 29% more performance for 100% more tflops.
Jnx0WAC.png

This chart here shows the relative performance of a 3070. It offers 11% more performance than a 2080 Super and 10% more performance than the 3060 Ti. That means the PS5 is performing a little better or on par with the 2080 Super and the 3060 Ti. At least for this game. Pretty fucking impressive.

M3g7Aoj.png
Plus ps5 isn't being coded for yet properly, like utilising the caches specifically coded for. Nor will the geometry engine be utilised fully.

That should be culling geometry off screen and not even wasting power or memory drawing things behind something else saving a considerable amount.

Who knows how much it would add but it'll be a boost and id bet on a decent one.

Plus things like the io being utilised, allowing more ram to be saved foe things on screen, rather than potentially used and space wasted.

So much room for improvements to come.

Jnx0WAC.png

M3g7Aoj.png

And we're only getting started. These games just show minimum floor performance on legacy engines - that is to say, engines running on old paradigms that are just starting to plug and play with some next-gen features as of now. In effect, it's a PC skewed comparison.

DirectStorage API releasing on time and soon becomes an ever pressing matter for particular platforms. It's not by random chance MS is investing time, money and resources on it - and Nvidia is proud to tout their cards as "ready" with their RTX 3000 series. Or Unreal Engine 5 for that matter for those without in-house engines. The real question to me is, will this API be out there, assimilated to modern redenring pipelines, and used in actual shipped games on a rush before Sony bangers beat them to the punch? The nature of game development says no. So I guess the answer to that is clear since Ragnarok (and to a lesser extent Horizon) is around the corner. Cause we know... no big third party multiplat dev is optimizing for PC cards - you either brute force and perform or don't, which puts a premium on power.... and Nvidia, like they always do, pass that down to the whales in pricing - and marketing does the rest - which they have down to a science.

Last edited:

littlecat

Neo Member
Thatā€™s not value. They werenā€™t saying PC isnā€™t better overall. People are saying that for $400 you canā€™t beat it.

IDK looking at CPU comparisons the higher the resolution the less the CPU makes a difference. At 4K I doubt a 3700 would make more then maybe a few FPS difference.
That's possible but I feel this comparison underestimated the PC part. I used to have a RTX2070S and had no problem of pushing CODMW to 144FPS @ 1440P, fairly high settings if not max. I doubt PS5 could do that (based on Warzone experience on PS5) but we will never know. That being said, I'm looking forward to the next gen games on PS5 since I just got the console.

Last edited:

Fbh

Seems pretty good. These are all still cross gen games though, the really interesting comparisons will come with we start getting more next gen only games.

Also lol, all these threads are full of console fanboys desperate to prove how they totally don't need a PC and PC fanboys desperate to remind everyone their $1500 build is better than a $399 console.

Seems pretty good. These are all still cross gen games though, the really interesting comparisons will come with we start getting more next gen only games.

Also lol, all these threads are full of console fanboys desperate to prove how they totally don't need a PC and PC fanboys desperate to remind everyone their $1500 build is better than a $399 console.

You don't need a PC for gaming just like you can always build a PC more powerful than a console.

All depends on what you want to spend and where you want to do your gaming.

Most of it is just common sense stuff.

Shmunter

Testing with PS5 vsync on vs no vsync on PC? šŸ¤”. Has this been explained? Because that is apples and oranges.

Also the end punctuated with card not being used because DLSS is off? Err thatā€™s an upscale tech, and even with its below 60 in the footage. But comparing to native 4k PS5 without upscale?!? Guy cant help himself.

Last edited:

Shmunter

You don't need a PC for gaming just like you can always build a PC more powerful than a console.

All depends on what you want to spend and where you want to do your gaming.

Most of it is just common sense stuff.
You really need to go 3090 to get a big enough benefit, otherwise diminishing returns are...err diminishing. And thatā€™s only for monitor gameplay, sitting at a tv feet away the diminishing returns almost entirely diminish.

But thatā€™s for pure gfx. Choosing pc may be due to custom resolutions and aspect ratios, etc.

Last edited:
You really need to go 3090 to get a big enough benefit, otherwise diminishing returns are...err diminishing. And thatā€™s only for monitor gameplay, sitting at a tv feet away the diminishing returns almost entirely diminish.

But thatā€™s for pure gfx. Choosing pc may be due to custom resolutions and aspect ratios, etc.

I know I play some games on PC due to multiplayer being free there. But your right that in order to beat the PS5 (at this moment) you need a PC that costs quote a bit more than 399$.

Just one setting. Just like there's one setting on PS5 that's higher than PC's Ultra here.

Didn't AC Valhalla also have slightly higher setting on one particular aspect on PS5 over PC? So yeah the main takeaway is PS5 is punching well above it's weight as DF puts it and offering superb value for money and we have just started year one!

Shmunter

Iā€™m speculating the comparison is bogus if PS5 is vsync locked or employs an aggressive adaptive vsync. A ~45fps avg read indicates this to be the case. If vsync was off the PS5 could e.g. be reading in the 50ā€™s - and thatā€™s with a 60hz cap!

NXGamer NXGamer are you able to comment and correct me here if Iā€™m misunderstanding something....

Last edited:
Yet again, the PS5 performs exactly as expected when you look at the raw hardware numbers. Where's that Cerny sauce?

And no, it's not performing like a 2080S. High resolution particle effects at 4K can really tank the performance, which makes the comparison not exactly fair since PS5 uses lower settings than the lowest possible on PC.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
RX 6800XT with 72CU vs 36CU and similar clock speeds is only 29.4% faster than PS5, while 3070 is 8.6% faster so it's safe to say PS5 is comparable to 2080 Ti and 3070 in ray tracing performance.

This solidifies that PS5 is using a custom RT solution vs RDNA2/Xbox SX, that's why RT is better on PS5 vs XSX and 6800XT is embarrassingly closer to PS5 than Xbox One to PS4!

Last edited:

sinnergy

Yeh for 37 CU itā€™s pretty fast , but not every thing is about being fast , parallelism is also important, thatā€™s mostly achieved by more , more cores more CUs. Itā€™s not always about sprinting , marathons also exist.

Md Ray

Yet again, the PS5 performs exactly as expected when you look at the raw hardware numbers. Where's that Cerny sauce?

And no, it's not performing like a 2080S. High resolution particle effects at 4K can really tank the performance, which makes the comparison not exactly fair since PS5 uses lower settings than the lowest possible on PC.
PS5 also uses higher settings than the highest (Ultra) possible on PC.

Md Ray

That only adds up to the Mark Cerny secret sauce. Some people underestimating his intelligence need to learn a thing or two from this impressive analysis.
Couldn't agree more. At $399 (40k in my country), PS5 is an extremely well-thought out machine that's also exceptional value for money.

Last edited:

Allandor

Like always, those benches are pointless.
1st. the PS5 is a console, You can't get a matching PC for that price.
2nd. the settings for the PS5 are more or less dynamic, while fixed on PC. E.g. the raytracing (which cost a whole lot of performance) is off sometimes or incomplete on PS5. It is just optimized to better run there. Also some other settings are lower on PS5.

After all the settings are optimized for PS5 and do still not hit 60fps. On PC you would just lower settings to reach that goal, on PS5 you can't.

I get why the WD legion benches weren't pointless. There we had the settings which was included in a settings file of the game. But in this case, it is just pointless. There are so many small settings that can be tweaked, have a big impact on performance but a small one on the visual side.

PS5.

- Volumetric lighting: Low
- Water tesselation: Off
- Motion blur: All (some few samples shows High)
- Texture quality: Max (same if you installed high quality pack on PC)
- Object detail: Medium
- Screen-space reflections: High
- Model quality: High
- Sub-surface scattering: On
- Fidelity of transparency effects: Medium (but using lower precision for decrease bandwidth usage and increase performance typical on consoles)
- Shadow quality: Better than High (RT Shadows is not present in all parts of the game so when not using RT Shadows it uses Cubic Shadow that are better than the best option on PC when RT Shadows is disabled)
- Others options: High *

* He says a lot of settings have no difference between Low and High on PC so PS5 is using the same.

Using these settings on PC you have the results showed in OP.

12106ab86102b37fb79076df83f2ab3172cb8e69cdc5f618379c53b77fda6360.jpg

Don't make your own alternative facts, by removing details:
EsHJbJ9XcAI4teS

Last edited:

Fredrik

The key takeaway from the video is at 11m 50s.

Listen:

Effects on ps5 appear to be rendered at quarter resolution but full on pc thus making it an apple vs orange comparison as that setting alone at such high resolution [at 4k] could net you at least 10 % extra performance on pc.

rxdlyA0.png

The key takeaway for me is that PS5 perform better than expected for the money. Pre-launch I believe it was said to perform like a 2070, now weā€™re between 3060ti and 3070.

That said, this is a simple form of raytracing so itā€™ll be interesting to see what happens with upcoming raytracing titles since AMD has so far struggled in this area. Things are moving quickly too so weā€™ll see if this gen will push back console gaming into 30fps again or if devs will choose to scale back gfx/rt instead.

If your buying a GPU a 3080 with 12gb or more would be ideal imo. 3090 is too much for the performance it brings over the 3080.
3080 only have 10gb now so itā€™ll have to be the rumored super/ti in that case, which could go for $1100-1300 unless nvidia starts dropping prices.

Fredrik

Dlss is a bit unfair comparison. I mean of course it should be used as its what the card can do.

But similarly a console wouldn't run games at 4k and waste resources and may use something like checkerboarding or insomniacs temporal injection.

So maybe we should compare something like spiderman using temporal injection, 60 fps and rt... and visuals that look so close to actual 4k.
How can we compare Spiderman when the game isnā€™t on PC?? Such a comparison is completely pointless.

John Wick

Unless money was no object you'd be stupid to buy the 3090. It costs at least double the price yet performs on average 10-15% better in games so far. Surely someone will release a 3080 with 12Gb ram or more soonish.

Wut? All settings are here dude.
My post includes everything they talked.

As said, not the alpha effects, which runs at quarter resolution on PS5 and XsX. It is impossible to reduce that on PC to align with consoles version. And it could really impact performances.

ethomaz

Banned
As said, not the alpha effects, which runs at quarter resolution on PS5 and XsX. It is impossible to reduce that on PC to align with consoles version. And it could really impact performances.
I wrote that in what the dude quoted.

"Fidelity of transparency effects: Medium (but using lower precision for decrease bandwidth usage and increase performance typical on consoles)"

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
RX 6800XT with 72CU vs 36CU and similar clock speeds is only 29.4% faster than PS5, while 3070 is 8.6% faster so it's safe to say PS5 is comparable to 2080 Ti and 3070 in ray tracing performance.

This solidifies that PS5 is using a custom RT solution vs RDNA2/Xbox SX, that's why RT is better on PS5 vs XSX and 6800XT is embarrassingly closer to PS5 than Xbox One to PS4!
And how much slower is the XSX in CoD, probably not that much right? That just to show, how shit AMD is in PC space and their safe space is in consoles.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And how much slower is the XSX in CoD, probably not that much right? That just to show, how shit AMD is in PC space and their safe space is in consoles.

Not sure but its RT shadows was pretty fucked in XSX vs PS5, that's why they skipped it here like with ACV and showed PS5 only.

Last edited:
I wrote that in the dude quote.

"Fidelity of transparency effects: Medium (but using lower precision for decrease bandwidth usage and increase performance typical on consoles)"

If I remember well, alpha effects are also linked to fire, sparks, explosion, blur effects etc... Not only "transparency" if I'm not wrong.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure but its RT shadows was pretty fucked, that's why they skipped it here like with ACV.
I remember something like that too, but my guess that Sony understand GPU programming better than AMD Software Team. Because AMD is supplying the drivers for MS and their Xbox, not the whole stack, but a lot, it has been always like this. Because they are taking a lot of Direct X implementation from Windows. Sony is completely custom, with basically none, which....yeah, let's face it's better. However Sony does not have also PC community to satisfy : D

ethomaz

Banned
If I remember well, alpha effects are also linked to fire, sparks, explosion, blur effects etc... Not only transparency if I'm not wrong.
That is what they said:

"Before we talk about ray tracing, the final setting to discuss is the effects preset, which throws up a certain level of ambiguity. This controls the fidelity of transparent effects like fire and it's closest to PC's medium, though the age-old console performance trick of using lower precision buffers is in play. This demonstrates something we often find in console builds - while they have much in common with the PC versions, developers can make customised renditions of specific effects, designed to offer more bang for the buck. And often, these compromises are not present in the PC rendition of the game - even if there's no technical reason they could not be implemented. Typically, lower resolution buffers for transparencies is an easy performance win, drastically reducing bandwidth."

Maybe I should chance to Effect preset instead transparency....

Edit - Changed to "Fidelity of effects"... just to be clear we are talking about ingame settings on PC menu.

Last edited:

Shane89

if you consider how bad this game is optimized, i expect greatness for the future with content specifically developed for next gen consoles.

That is what they said:

"Before we talk about ray tracing, the final setting to discuss is the effects preset, which throws up a certain level of ambiguity. This controls the fidelity of transparent effects like fire and it's closest to PC's medium, though the age-old console performance trick of using lower precision buffers is in play. This demonstrates something we often find in console builds - while they have much in common with the PC versions, developers can make customised renditions of specific effects, designed to offer more bang for the buck. And often, these compromises are not present in the PC rendition of the game - even if there's no technical reason they could not be implemented. Typically, lower resolution buffers for transparencies is an easy performance win, drastically reducing bandwidth."

Maybe I should chance to Effect preset instead transparency.

Oki :) Thanks for that quote, I have not read the text (blocked by proxy). Seems my memories are not so bad haha
Knowing that, difficult from my point of view to really compare the raw performances between consoles and PC version as we don't know how this tweak could impact the results. Visually, I'm not sure that is really important.
In any case, a new time we can say that PS5 and XsX are really nice piece of hardware for their price.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The key takeway here is that gaming PCs continue to be an absolutely terrible deal around new console launches.
The consoles are terrible deals around the console launches...
I really wish I was strong enough to always buy consoles about 3 years into the generation instead, preferrably around the upgrade launches. But Iā€™m not.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The consoles are terrible deals around the console launches...
I really wish I was strong enough to always buy consoles about 3 years into the generation instead, preferrably around the upgrade launches. But Iā€™m not.

From a tech standpoint, consoles are at peak value when they launch.

Three years after they launch is when it makes sense to buy an average specced PC, as they will be cheap and outperform consoles pretty easily.

In terms of content, consoles will be at peak value at the end of the gen.

Fredrik

From a tech standpoint, consoles are at peak value when they launch.

Three years after they launch is when it makes sense to buy an average specced PC, as they will be cheap and outperform consoles pretty easily.

In terms of content, consoles will be at peak value at the end of the gen.
That I can agree with, but content is what matters so I think theyā€™re terrible purchases at this point. But unfortunately Iā€™m constantly caught up in the launch hysteria and always stand there grinning like a fool day 1 happy just to see the boot up sequence lol

RobRSG

I never understood how the consoles managed to run the ā€œFractured Jawā€ mission with all bells and whistles as my PC suffered (3700x + 3080).

Now I know the answer. They donā€™t.

I think DF is too busy covering the consoles, but the should always do three-way comparison instead.

Top Bottom