• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF]Cyberpunk 2077 Ray Tracing: Overdrive Technology Preview on RTX 4090

kingyala

Banned
There is no difference between realtime cutscenes and CGI, both plays out exactly the same every time.
cgi means pre rendered video, realtime means running on the computer using the hardware to render so your argument is stupid. your basically saying a video is not different from realtime... the fact is the last of us is technically better than cyberpunk and you cant handle this truth... its painful but facts are facts.

Buggy Loop

This guy..

Brings a huge argument that the game is made for PS4 (oh yeah, that day 1 launch performance, clearly shows it was made for it... /s) and then this motherfucker brings TLOU part 1 into this argument? A linear corridor-like game that is a downgrade from TLOU part 2 running on PS4?

spiderman GIF

This guy is fishing a tag for the dumbest fucking technical takes on this forum. He's been here since the wave of february 2023 and already every time i see his name i get a laugh

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
This guy..

Brings a huge argument that the game is made for PS4 (oh yeah, that day 1 launch performance, clearly shows it was made for it... /s) and then this motherfucker brings TLOU part 1 into this argument? A linear corridor-like game that is a downgrade from TLOU part 2 running on PS4?

spiderman GIF

This guy is fishing a tag for the dumbest fucking technical takes on this forum. He's been here since the wave of february 2023 and already every time i see his name i get a laugh
Yeah how the fuck is he still trolling in all the threads he entered.

zeroluck

cgi means pre rendered video, realtime means running on the computer using the hardware to render so your argument is stupid. your basically saying a video is not different from realtime... the fact is the last of us is technically better than cyberpunk and you cant handle this truth... its painful but facts are facts.
When you are making cutscenes you can do all kind of CGI tricks to adjust shit until they look good. You are comparing apple to orange, can the cutscenes in last of us have Joe lipsyncs to dozen difference languages, and do real time eyes tracking to player movement?

Rubim

use your brain cells... having bounce lighting on a game isnt the benchmark of a game being next gen, raytracing is just a graphical feature set you can bolt it on any game's lighting system you can have n64 games rendered with path tracing to ps2 and ps1 games and this doesnt make a game nextgen... cyberpunk suffers from assets that are designed for a ps4... flat surfaces flat architectures low geometry on characters... so technically it is a lastgen game with bolted on raytracing.. more like having a a 1940's car with a 2020 engine and calling the car modern... you dont just bolt some graphics technique and call a game nextgen. nextgen means a game designed around nextgen architectures and macjhines from scratch... ps5, series x or a modern pc not a bolted on game from the ps4 era
Did you just take some photos from a video to prove your point?
Worst yet, are you comparing a full open world game with TLOU2?

Wth is wrong you with you.

kingyala

Banned
Did you just take some photos from a video to prove your point?
Worst yet, are you comparing a full open world game with TLOU2?

Wth is wrong you with you.
exactly ur no different to any average flat earther you have no ground in ur statements other than confusing gibberish and pointless arguments, you first claimed last of us part 1 cinematics where cgi and pre baked.. and i told you no they arent because they run realtime on ps5 then you claimed cgi video and realtime cinematics are all the same because they are ''repetitive.... which is another retarded bogus claim since one runs realtime and the other is a video...

And now your trying to gaslight... and change the argument to how i post images on neogaf as if there is any other way to do it, Did you want me to carry my ps5 and come to ur house to show you footage or something?... mate go and fool some 5 year olds in kindergaten cause ur obvious childish answers and arguments have no head or tail... u simply just argue gibberish stuff and alot of quackery thats not amusing anybody... if u dont understand the difference of realtime and pre rendered then just go to sleep cause ny argument with u is dead before it even starts

kingyala

Banned
When you are making cutscenes you can do all kind of CGI tricks to adjust shit until they look good. You are comparing apple to orange, can the cutscenes in last of us have Joe lipsyncs to dozen difference languages, and do real time eyes tracking to player movement?
they are both images from cutscenes both are realtime cyberpunk is still technically inferior... whether its cutscene or not it is still realtime none of the images here are cgi... last of us simply beats cyberpunk in every technical area oher than bounce lighting... the characters in last of us 1 are more detailed, the texture work is well detailed, the assets quality is well beyond cyberpunk, the animation work and animation physics are well beyond cyberpunk the only thing advanced in cyberpunk is the realtime raytraced lighting.... you cant just excuse a game and call it nextgen because it bounces rays on a scene.

GHG

This guy..

spiderman GIF

bUt TeH aSsEt qUaLiTy iS pS4 gEn.

Tx9ip9.png

Tx9t2z.png

Tx9ZBC.png

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
they are both images from cutscenes both are realtime cyberpunk is still technically inferior... whether its cutscene or not it is still realtime none of the images here are cgi... last of us simply beats cyberpunk in every technical area oher than bounce lighting... the characters in last of us 1 are more detailed, the texture work is well detailed, the assets quality is well beyond cyberpunk, the animation work and animation physics are well beyond cyberpunk the only thing advanced in cyberpunk is the realtime raytraced lighting.... you cant just excuse a game and call it nextgen because it bounces rays on a scene.
You don't have a gaming PC. You have no interest in the game and what it does. So why are you posting in this thread you insufferable troll? Since joining you've been on a console warpath. Please, GTFO.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
JESUS CHRIST... I just saw on Twitter that the 7900XTX gets 9fps at 1600p FSR Balanced mode 😬
this isn't tailored to AMD hardware it seems

edit: additional info, the RTX2060 gets the same framerate at 1080p dlss quality mode

Optimizing for specific hardware is a beautiful thing.

Roni

Gold Member
3080Ti running Overdrive in 1080p using DLSS on Auto at 50-60 FPS. Since resolution is not that big a deal for me, don't actually feel left out on this. If they somehow gated this to 40xx cards like DLSS 3 it would be outrageous.

But not gonna lie, game is pretty bonkers in Overdrive: all those little rasterization lighting glitches disappear and you can really lose yourself in the game with the perfect lighting. A big part of falling out of immersion for me was lighting shenanigans and there a none to be found in Overdrive.

Every single light source actually interacts with everything in the environment.

Last edited:

nikos

use your brain cells... having bounce lighting on a game isnt the benchmark of a game being next gen, raytracing is just a graphical feature set you can bolt it on any game's lighting system you can have n64 games rendered with path tracing to ps2 and ps1 games and this doesnt make a game nextgen... cyberpunk suffers from assets that are designed for a ps4... flat surfaces flat architectures low geometry on characters... so technically it is a lastgen game with bolted on raytracing.. more like having a a 1940's car with a 2020 engine and calling the car modern... you dont just bolt some graphics technique and call a game nextgen. nextgen means a game designed around nextgen architectures and macjhines from scratch... ps5, series x or a modern pc not a bolted on game from the ps4 era

I'd imagine you're trolling, but you can't talk about not being able to "bolt on" completely new lighting and call it new, then post a screenshot of a 10 year old game with some "bolted on" improvements.

Roni

Gold Member
3080Ti can also do Overdrive in 1440p with DLSS Balanced at the a 50-60 range. Even in fights... Dips to 40ish in high crowd settings. Downgrading DLSS to Performance brings it back into the 50-60 range.

Last edited:
Runs great on my 4090, ima install it on my backup system with a 4080'and try it there.

Went ahead and continued my third play through i was going to finish before the expansion, gonna run through it on this until Jedi Survivor drops.

It's simply amazing. You can't help but to stop what you're doing and just admire the work done here every few minutes.

There are legit some areas that look damn near "tech demo" quality. Like it feels like "this shouldn't be a fully playable game" at times.

Hugare

My 3060 is sweating buckets, but its able to mantain 30 fps at 1080p DLSS Balanced

Due to the very low resolution there are some visual bugs: some shimmering in places and character shadows takes 1 sec to load properly sometimes. Reflections are also ugly af due to them being rendered at what, 540p?

But still, it looks so impressive. I'm not even driving anymore, just walking and observing everything.

CGNoire

Inaccurate probably isn't the right word, but devs would absolutely want unnatural lighting. I mean there isn't a movie or TV show where the lighting isn't meticulously designed and staged in a way that isn't using "real" light sources. Hell even nonfiction two people in a room doing an interview requires a ton of extra lighting.

I think there are going to be some artistic growing pains where it becomes trendy to have literally only diagetic lighting, but eventually devs will probably work out the best ways to have nondiagetic lighting for artistic effect. Still ray traced or whatever, but coming from sources that don't actually exist.
You do realise they can still do that with pathtraced lights right?
Like its far easier to get the effect exspecially if you where already trained using real lights.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Thanks CDPR for being one of the last devs truly pushing the envelope.

This is currently the technically most impressive game of all times.

Those look great, and were taken by a professional screenshot maker who works for EA DICE.

Here's what he made for Sleeping Dogs, a game from 2012 that was developed for the PS3 and X360:

BhXxsTw.jpg

CIvkSP8.jpg
9VDpn3w.jpg

And here's what he did on the Matrix demo, which BTW runs on a $400 console:

I'd imagine you're trolling, but you can't talk about not being able to "bolt on" completely new lighting and call it new,
You definitely can because that's precisely what a bunch of people have been doing throughout this whole thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom