• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Dying Light 2015 - PS5/Xbox Series X/S Patch Analysis - The Ultimate Fan Service?

Arioco

Dying Ligh had never been updated for PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, so this is the first enhanced version we can play on consoles.

- There are FIVE modes:

1. PS5 and Series X get a 1080p@60fps mode.
2. A Balanced 1440p@60fps for PS5 and Series X too.
3. A High Resolution 4K@30fps for the premium consoles.

4. Series S and One X get a 1080p@30fps mode.
5. The High Resolution mode on Series S and One X is 1440p@30fps (so no 60 fps mode for these consoles).

PS4 Pro is left with the same 1080p@30fps cap.

- Only visual changes apart from resolution are DoF and AO.

- The motion blur present in base consoles has been reduced in 4K@30fps on PS5 and Series X. It seems to be related to rendering resolution.

- Performance is very good and it's very challenge to get the new versions to dip at all.

They recommend the 1440p@60fps mode.

Last edited:

Arioco

Weird that the game defaults to the 1080p/60 FPS mode when the 1440p/60 FPS mode is damn near perfect.

It doesn't even make any sense to offer a 1080p mode that performs just like the 1440p mode IMO, but what do I know. Why the devs decided to include that mode is beyond me, honestly.

Doczu

Yeah, Fuck PS4 pro owners it seams... Did they patch the v sync stuff thst made the game go from 30 to 60 for a nanosecond or so? The one that broke any fluidity?

Riky

$MSFT
Had a quick go of Series S and One X and the bump in image quality is clear.

I'll probably play the 1440p 60 mode on Series X.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, Fuck PS4 pro owners it seams... Did they patch the v sync stuff thst made the game go from 30 to 60 for a nanosecond or so? The one that broke any fluidity?

Yes, they've fixed the V Sync issue at least. So you'll get a properly V-Synced 1080p/30 on Pro.

intbal

Based on the power differential between the mid-gen consoles, the PS4 Pro should've been bumped to ~2144x1206.
Since the Playstation was the first platform to get the patch, I suspect they just didn't think about doing it until they started working on the Xbox patch, which released two weeks later.

Duchess

I never played any of the DLC, so now this game has a 60fps upgrade, I'm thinking of playing it over Dying Light 2...!

Had a quick go of Series S and One X and the bump in image quality is clear.

I'll probably play the 1440p 60 mode on Series X.
I'm somewhat baffled by the fact you own both machines. Do you collect consoles, or ...?

Riky

$MSFT
I never played any of the DLC, so now this game has a 60fps upgrade, I'm thinking of playing it over Dying Light 2...!

I'm somewhat baffled by the fact you own both machines. Do you collect consoles, or ...?
Series S is a bedroom console on a 1080p set, don't really want to move consoles around the house. We've got two of each Series consoles at the moment.

Doczu

Yes, they've fixed the V Sync issue at least. So you'll get a properly V-Synced 1080p/30 on Pro.
That's great to hear! It was really grinding my gears. Didn't stop me from finishing, but i was hesitsnt on trying a new run because of it.

Lysandros

Dying Ligh had never been updated for PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, so this is the first enhanced version we can play on consoles.

- There are FIVE modes:

1. PS5 and Series X get a 1080p@60fps mode.
2. A Balanced 1440p@60fps for PS5 and Series X too.
3. A High Resolution 4K@30fps for the premium consoles.

4. Series S and One X get a 1080p@30fps mode.
5. The High Resolution mode on Series S and One X is 1440p@30fps (so no 60 fps mode for these consoles).

PS4 Pro is left with the same 1080p@30fps cap.

- Only visual changes apart from resolution are DoF and AO.

- The motion blur present in base consoles has been reduced in 4K@30fps on PS5 and Series X. It seems to be related to rendering resolution.

- Performance is very good and it's very challenge to get the new versions to dip at all.

They recommend the 1440p@60fps mode.

This didn't get a comment by Oliver but XSX FPS is apparently dropping more in fire/smoke stress point lowest being 48 FPS for PS5 and 39 FPS for XSX beginning at around 08:10 mark. Alpha heavy scenes like this tend to be bandwidth and fill rate bound.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

I also have both it's not uncommon for Xbox owners to have both for their kids etc. For there's a chance Xbox owners have kids more than PlayStation owners as they have been proven to be more sexually active 😉

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Props to this studio tbh. Feel confident dying light 2 will run extremely we’ll on the current consoles and pc over the coming years.

Romulus

Props to the devs for updating the game but I'm confused how the performance mode is essentially just the base 1080p ps4 visuals with 2x the fps. The cpu alone in the ps5 is around 4-5x more powerful, then you're looking at a 1.4TF GPU vs 10TF. Seems like a ton of overhead.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just wait he says he has 7 PS5 🔥

6b8gnzcqju1.jpg

Top Bottom