• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

and this got a 97 Metacritic ... these journalist are a joke
Shoulda been a 99/100...they haters.

ice-t hater GIF

Riky

$MSFT
Firstly nobody asked you. Secondly your stance is irrelevant since you'll always select the same version of multiplatform games regardless of performance.

Nobody needs to be "asked" on a public forum, how stupid.
You have no idea about my purchasing, I have several games on PS4 and not Xbox One actually due to performance, Tekken 7 for example.
However I'm very safe buying Series X versions with resolution and VRR advantages, no brainer.

MiguelItUp

So weird to me that some people have experienced absolute shit performance on PC apparently, but then others it was fine aside from some micro stutters that apparently didn't affect their game. But hey, PC gaming and all those specs I guess. Guessing there's some testing, performance, and optimization that was missed? Hopefully it's taken care of soon.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Nobody needs to be "asked" on a public forum, how stupid.
You have no idea about my purchasing, I have several games on PS4 and not Xbox One actually due to performance, Tekken 7 for example.
However I'm very safe buying Series X versions with resolution and VRR advantages, no brainer.

Just VRR this time.
It's Tom so I don't know if I believe him, but you'd pick the Xbox version anyway even if PS5 had VRR, maybe saying Xbox has a better contoller? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Yeh in trying the PC version first but if the stutter is too bad then I'll just refund it and get the PS4/PS5 version and use the PS4 version.

If I have to do that my biggest annoyance will actually be having to renew my PS+ subscription.

Nah if you get the digital version and end up inadvertently playing the wrong version then it is you who is dumb. Both versions are clearly listed as an option for download after purchase.
nah knuckle head its automatic. Why do u think it happens so often

Markio128

I get that the performance of any version is less than ideal, but we’re talking about a genuine game of the generation here (according to reviews), so I’m in utter disbelief at this thread. BOTW has less than perfect frame rate, but is still a classic - Bloodborne has frame pacing issues, but is still a classic. Do you see where I’m going with this? Stop worrying about the performance, because if it was that bad, the game would not have received the scores it has.

Mr Moose

That is from the beta last year.
Is that not Karak Karak video with newest version?
I get that the performance of any version is less than ideal, but we’re talking about a genuine game of the generation here (according to reviews), so I’m in utter disbelief at this thread. BOTW has less than perfect frame rate, but is still a classic - Bloodborne has frame pacing issues, but is still a classic. Do you see where I’m going with this? Stop worrying about the performance, because if it was that bad, the game would not have received the scores it has.
45-60 should not be praised in any way. No 30fps cap on the quality mode, no performance increase in 3 months since the beta, we're told to wait for day one patch... The day one patch arrived and its shit.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Why? The game runs at 55-60 fps on the PS5. The other games on metacritic run at sub 30 fps like Zelda BOTW and GTAV, and 30 fps like RDR2. Of the top five 96+ games on Metacritic, only Mario Odyssey runs at 60 fps.

Just because it isnt locked at 60 fps, doesnt mean the performance is bad or the game is unplayable. DF has made everyone lose their minds. An unlocked 60 fps mode that drops frames every now and then will feel a lot smoother than 30 fps locked. Always.
Because gamers are drama queens.

Markio128

Is that not Karak Karak video with newest version?

45-60 should not be praised in any way. No 30fps cap on the quality mode, no performance increase in 3 months since the beta, we're told to wait for day one patch... The day one patch arrived and its shit.
I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. Even if the lowest fps was 45, how often does this happen? How much has it spoilt the enjoyment of the critics? Not much, I’d say. And tbh, the PS5 performance mode hovers around the high 50’s for the most part, as far as I am aware, so I can’t see that affecting my enjoyment of the game. Yes, I’d prefer it to have perfect performance, but I’ll forgive From, considering they’ve made the game accessible to so many gamers, which is something to be applauded.

Saying that, I wish they had capped quality mode at 30fps.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. Even if the lowest fps was 45, how often does this happen? How much has it spoilt the enjoyment of the critics? Not much, I’d say. And tbh, the PS5 performance mode hovers around the high 50’s for the most part, as far as I am aware, so I can’t see that affecting my enjoyment of the game. Yes, I’d prefer it to have perfect performance, but I’ll forgive From, considering they’ve made the game accessible to so many gamers, which is something to be applauded.

Saying that, I wish they had capped quality mode at 30fps.
I would play it in quality mode if they'd capped it, I don't get why they didn't (platinumed Bloodborne, I am fine with 30fps especially at a higher res), they could've at least gave us a toggle for 30fps lock since it doesn't drop below that.
Edit: Apparently nothing much has changed since the beta, so it runs like this:

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yet another game where PS5 pushes better performance.
none of all these games since launch up until now have any real reference to the actual consoles boxes performance. Its developers and what they are doing with their releases. Everything is launching fucked and taking months of patches to sort out. Should we really judge a game like Horizon Forbidden West with it's day one version (a top quality sony studio). Everyone is putting out buggy shit releases and its no sign of what these consoles can actually do or perform like.

Its shit! and needs sorting.

Last edited:

Markio128

I would play it in quality mode if they'd capped it, I don't get why they didn't (platinumed Bloodborne, I am fine with 30fps especially at a higher res), they could've at least gave us a toggle for 30fps lock since it doesn't drop below that.
Edit: Apparently nothing much has changed since the beta, so it runs like this:

Tbh, the thing that irks me the most in that video is the pop in, especially on grass. I’m going to need a decent break between this and HFW, otherwise, the visuals are going to hit hard.

Zathalus

Why? The game runs at 55-60 fps on the PS5. The other games on metacritic run at sub 30 fps like Zelda BOTW and GTAV, and 30 fps like RDR2. Of the top five 96+ games on Metacritic, only Mario Odyssey runs at 60 fps.

Just because it isnt locked at 60 fps, doesnt mean the performance is bad or the game is unplayable. DF has made everyone lose their minds. An unlocked 60 fps mode that drops frames every now and then will feel a lot smoother than 30 fps locked. Always.
The game drops to the mid 40s on both PS5 and Xbox, more so on Xbox but there are scenarios where the Xbox version has the better FPS of the two.

Mid 40s during a boss fight will suck without VRR, and even with VRR it's not going to be ideal.

PS5 version would have been a easy purchase for me if Sony can just get their head out of their ass and support a feature that's been available for years.

Last edited:
none of all these games since launch up until now have any real reference to the actual consoles boxes performance. Its developers and what they are doing with their releases. Everything is launching fucked and taking months of patches to sort out. Should we really judge a game like Horizon Forbidden West with it's day one version (a top quality sony studio). Everyone is putting out buggy shit releases and its no sign of what these consoles can actually do or perform like.

Its shit! and needs sorting.

I think HFW is better performance wise than this game. Sure it has its own share of issues but at least the performance is good if I’m not wrong.

Top Bottom