• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/Eurogamer: First Xbox 3 Devkit leaks, 8 Core Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, 8-12GB RAM

Pranay

Yeah I basically moved to PC to play console games with better settings but to play games like Crusader Kings 2 as well. PC has its good exclusive games but they rely on consoles to bring the majority of the huge games over. I didn't think anyone would be crazy enough to deny that.

Their are enough exclusive which releases on each platform i guess. ;)

onQ123

So Xbox came full circle from the Xbox with intel CPU & Nvidia GPU to the Xbox Next with a intel CPU & Nvidia GPU.

Eideka

Banned
Their are enough exclusive which releases on each platform i guess. ;)

That depends what kind of games you're into. As far as I'm concerned consoles don't have enough exclusives for me to stick with them. PC gets the huge majority of multiplats releases and the console exclusives don't cut it for me.
I have consoles of course but really nothing I could not have lived without. I'm wholly satisfied with my PC as my game platform of choice.

To each his own.

Pranay

That depends what kind of games you're into. As far as I'm concerned consoles don't have enough exclusives for me to stick with them. PC gets the huge majority of multiplats releases and the console exclusives don't cut it for me.

Yup true thats why i left pc gaming. [though i do play some indies which dont come on psn on my laptop].

Edit - I guess we are getting OT.

@ topic - Really excited to see the next xbox after seeing the tech demos and how much degrade it is from what we saw.

fritolay

If the WiiU costs $299, then I wonder what this system will cost. The WiiU better be cheap to manufacture so Nintendo can drop the prices in the first year.

Raide

If the WiiU costs $299, then I wonder what this system will cost. The WiiU better be cheap to manufacture so Nintendo can drop the prices in the first year.

£399. £299 would be nice but if they push the tech a bit, then 399 sounds about right.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
£399. £299 would be nice but if they push the tech a bit, then 399 sounds about right.

If the specs are true. I'd buy it at £399. I hope it's cheaper.

WiiU on the other hand would have to be £199 or less for me to jump in.

Isn't it usually the case that dev kits have twice as much RAM as their console counterparts?

Also, sounds pretty weird that it would have an Nvidia chipset. Unless Microsoft decided to change this at last minute without making any announcements?

Not necessarily, 360 dev kits had only 512MB for years after the system released (I remember when they upped it to 1GB). Apparently it helps to have extra RAM for debugging, I got the impression only 512 in the kits may have actually hurt 360 performance during that time.

Raide

Agreed. If the Wii-U hits at 199, I might jump in but none of the announced games appeal to me that much. 399 for the next Xbox will be fine, as long as the games lineup and BC is solid.

You do realize that 399 pounds is equal to around $627 U.S. dollars, don't you?

Like most things it just transfers over, so $399.

Raide

No way if we talking of same spec in the op. £ 399 it's too cheap & will give a lot of losses to microsoft. This is why I have so much doubts in those specs...

MS might just be subsidising heavily. Unless they go way underspec, they are going to be loosing cash. Its just depends on how much they are willing to loose on launch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It seems really interesting to me that Microsoft seems to be doing something similar to what Sony did this gen. A lot of rumors say that the GPU in the next Xbox will be on the weaker side, and judging from the fact that this rumor isn't trumpeting tflops and other things about it it seems likely to me, and will have a powerful CPU to offset it. Should be interesting to see how things compare.

omonimo

Banned
It seems really interesting to me that Microsoft seems to be doing something similar to what Sony did this gen. A lot of rumors say that the GPU in the next Xbox will be on the weaker side, and judging from the fact that this rumor isn't trumpeting tflops and other things about it it seems likely to me, and will have a powerful CPU to offset it. Should be interesting to see how things compare.

Looking at the past I don't remember a single success following this 'philosophy'. Good luck to microsoft, but could be a really stupid move especially outside the usa.

Looking at the past I don't remember a single success following this 'philosophy'. Good luck to microsoft, but could be a really stupid move especially outside the usa.

I have to agree with this. Also, going for a weaker GPU & a stronger CPU seems like a bad idea, especially when not many 3rd party developers are going to use the CPU to offset the GPU like most of them didn't do with the PS3.

Stronger GPU & weaker CPU would be the way to go.

Exuro

Sounds pretty beefy. I'm betting they're going to use a subscription model connected with live seeing as a lot of xbox-ers use it anyways. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

If the system ends up using more traditional, less customized parts, will this affect the size of the machine?

So Xbox came full circle from the Xbox with intel CPU & Nvidia GPU to the Xbox Next with a intel CPU & Nvidia GPU.

Alpha devkit, Could still be that they went with nvidia and intel because they are the power houses in performance right now. And i imaging a console os has less overhead on hw drivers then then Windows. What did carmack say console can push like 50~100% more out of the same hardware because of lower overhead costs.

Oemenia

Banned
The only indication we have from this is that the Durango will have between 4-6gb of RAM. They could be resorting to Intel and nVidia tech as its the most advanced hardware to mimic the final hardware out right now.

The only indication we have from this is that the Durango will have between 4-6gb of RAM. They could be resorting to Intel and nVidia tech as its the most advanced hardware to mimic the final hardware out right now.

We have more solid indications (including lherre) for weeks it's 8GB. Yes, 8GB lets not go through the whole DDR vs GDDR, bubub 8GB is impossible, thing yet again.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Even for £ 399 to me it's too cheap compared the cost. This is why I have so much doubts in those specs...

Console manufactures almost always sell at a lost initially. They know it takes a good couple of years for the cost reductions on manufacturing to kick in.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm having difficulties getting excited for consoles now. I've been playing games on the PC for many years now, and it's a bit of a bummer knowing this will all get surpassed in a year or two.

But then again, I got plenty of money to just buy all the damn consoles and have my sweet pc. Fuck it, I'm buying it.

He's not talking about the current iteration of Kinect. Besides, Kinect Sports was an amazing game.

They could do XBLA backwards compatibility without retail BC. Besides, this generation has gone on so long that retail BC doesn't matter to most any more.

I only really care about xbla BC. I was never really a person to be that bothered with keeping an extra box for older games. Its just that there will will be many XBLA games that I will want on my new xbox while I wait for the standout titles to come out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I'm not at all a tech guy, but is it correct to say this is basically the opposite of the rumors with Nintendo? (weak CPU, much better GPU)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Devkits tend to have double the RAM, even the article confirms this...
the article says the devkit has more then 8 gigs. also, i dont think a dev kit, as a rule, needs 2x the ram, just more then the console for debugging tools and what not.

onQ123

I think the Next Box will be just the OS & a set standard to run the games but will come in different packages like a PC.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you could build a PC gaming rig today that will outperform any next gen system that comes out in 2013.

And what about beyond 2013? I can pretty much guarantee you any 3rd party game would perform significantly worse on a pc built today than any next gen system 2018 & beyond.

omonimo

Banned
Console manufactures almost always sell at a lost initially. They know it takes a good couple of years for the cost reductions on manufacturing to kick in.

It's not matter of initial losses here but how much big are those... those specs are really expensive, nvidia is expensive, ibm cpu is expensive, RAM even more... we know the next generation could sell a lot less of the current how microsoft think to gain something? At this point the only way to gain money it's an expensive live... I know a lot of people want to hear all those things, wonderful cpu, gpu, huge RAM, but we need to be realistic.... the economy not help here...

Eideka

Banned
And what about beyond 2013? I can pretty much guarantee you any 3rd party game would perform significantly worse on a pc built today than any next gen system 2018 & beyond.

Well, it's a given since those games will be highly optimized for the new consoles. This is not a fair comparison at all.

MDX

These comments make absolutely no sense.
Maybe Im missing something?
What's this based on, the games coming out on the system?
as in, Xbox games are more valuable than WiiU games?
Or limited budgets?

It's not matter of initial losses here but how much big are those... those specs are really expensive, nvidia is expensive, ibm cpu is expensive, RAM even more... we know the next generation could sell a lot less of the current how microsoft think to gain something? At this point the only way to gain money it's an expensive live... I know a lot of people want to hear all those things, wonderful cpu, gpu, huge RAM, but we need to be realistic.... the economy not help here...

If this all comes true, then either Nintendo will win the next gen console war or Sony might bounce back to the #1 spot (providing that they don't go all out in power again).

omonimo

Banned
These comments make absolutely no sense.
Maybe Im missing something?
What's this based on, the games coming out on the system?
as in, Xbox games are more valuable than WiiU games?
Or limited budgets?
So you thinking tech not counts, but it's just matter of good games to extimate an hardware value? So why nintendo fan want so desperately a new hardware?

omonimo

Banned
If this all comes true, then either Nintendo will win the next gen console war or Sony might bounce back (providing that they don't go all out in power again).

There are no way that Sony release an hardware superior of this, at least not any time soon. But even with all its money, microsoft could risk a lot for me.

Triple U

Banned

You have absolutely no way to say these specs are expensive.

Razdek

Banned
There are no way that Sony release an hardware superior of this, at least not any time soon. But even with all its money, microsoft could risk a lot for me.

I'm not sure what you're worried about. Do you not want this type of technology in the next consoles? It's not like they're going to launch at $599 or even $499 as they saw what it did with Sony.

I'm impressed by these specs. And I've been a console only gamer the majority of my life until I bought a PC about 18 months ago. At first I thought, "Hey this might draw me back in." The Xbox 360 was probably one of the best console's I ever owned and I think Microsoft did really well with the 360, hardware failures aside. The main reason I went to PC was for better graphics and if MS can now provide a power house, it may pull me back in to the fold, I thought.

Then I remember all the reasons ASIDE from graphics that I have become in love with PC gaming. I love mods and I love the extensive back catalog that is literally several decades old. I love Steam sales. I love the thriving Indie game scene on PC. I love the potential of being able to upgrade my system when and if I choose to want better performance. I like the fact that I can play older games at higher graphic settings and with mods to breath new life in them and I like the fact that I can play newer games at lower settings if I don't want to fork up the cash to upgrade right away the way new consoles would force me to. I love that when something goes wrong, with the help of google and forums, I can fix it rather than going to the store and having to buy my sixth Xbox (literally: I went through 6 360s).

I also don't want to play in Microsoft's walled garden any more where it is mandatory that developers charge for all DLC, where I have to pay money to play games online, where they set bottom ends on price and won't let developers drop their price cheaper than that and where indie developers get fucked by the need to have a publisher, high certification fees, and required content approval. My gradual realization is that even if MS or Sony developed a console that blew my PC the fuck out of the water, I simply still don't care to go back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

How much it costs you to buy has no bearing on how much it costs to make. Retail will charge what people will pay. For consoles they'll be licensing the chips so it's much more about cost to make the chips + license fee. I don't see why something powerful this time round would need to be any more expensive than a 360 last time round.

Top Bottom