• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/Eurogamer: First Xbox 3 Devkit leaks, 8 Core Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, 8-12GB RAM

No info on the GPU, which surely is most important for the graphics side of things... On PC at least a moderate CPU + a very strong GPU gives better graphical performance than a powerful CPU + moderate GPU. Any indication what they are putting in the 720?

Concerning the ram, wouldnt this gel with what was indicated earlier, that a large amount would be used for non-gaming functionality?

...or people that just want good graphics and hardware that can open up new possibilities and experiences. And people who don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for ancient tech.

You & other huge graphic fans seem to forget that it's not exactly power & graphics that sells consoles, but good software & a good price point. This has been proven every generation.

But what about the software? That's the real deal, isn't it?

All it is, is just going to be the same old Hollywood, cinematic garbage & FPS games like what's going on now with 360 & PS3.

omonimo

Banned
How much it costs you to buy has no bearing on how much it costs to make. Retail will charge what people will pay. For consoles they'll be licensing the chips so it's much more about cost to make the chips + license fee. I don't see why something powerful this time round would need to be any more expensive than a 360 last time round.

Really? do you thinking 8 GB RAM, nvidia card, CPU custom by ibm give the same level of price of the 360 at the time? I'm not a developer but from I have read here & there those specs are really challenging for a 2013 release. It's incredible how the things change in a few months. Even the same site some months games talks to keep the expectation lower for the cost... but now all seems possible. I'm confused.

Grim1ock

Banned
No, people with a hard-on for technology might win. Big difference.

The phrase you get what you pay for here is very apt. If you want powerful new experiences that dwarf current generation, then you need powerful specs to manage.

And when you consider how long this gen was, do you really want a console that looks good for a few years before it looks dated?

You & other huge graphic fans seem to forget that it's not exactly power & graphics that sells consoles, but good software & a good price point. This has been proven every generation.

All it is, is just going to be the same old Hollywood, cinematic garbage & FPS games like what's going on now with 360 & PS3.

Yeah this is how I feel these days. Sony and MS haven't had an exclusive in a while that's interested me much from a game play perspective, excluding XBLA and PSN but those games seem to end up on Steam these days. Hell I even find the few good phone games more interesting and more novel experiences.

I'm not sure what you're worried about. Do you not want this type of technology in the next consoles? It's not like they're going to launch at $599 or even $499 as they saw what it did with Sony.

No, they'll launch at $399 alright. They'll even throw in an HDMI cable. Then charge you $50 for a battery pack, $64.99 for games, $60 for Xbox Live (or $99 a year for Xbox Live "Platinum"). Every game that wants to be in the launch window will be required to have DLC that is priced at $10 or higher. The bottom end for Live Arcade titles will raise to $10 (except for retro titles under the new "Xbox Arcade Classics" banner. You can keep your gamer tag and convert it over for free if you are a Gold member, but you'll have to pay a $10 "upgrade fee" to move it to the new Xbox if you are Silver. Paid Apps will be introduced.

Then more features will start becoming "Xbox Live Platinum" features: bigger friends list, cloud saves, eliminating dashboard ads, etc.

Pranay

Yeah ? No.

Seriously, we are to believe the tweets or any information out of DaE, check this out: https://twitter.com/superdae Read the tweets, DaE is a seriously bent individual.

DaE reckons that the current devkits were dispatched to studios in February, and feature Intel CPUs and a graphics card that carries the NVIDIA brand - but he doesn't identify either part more specifically.

Please research this before commenting further.

Grim1ock

Banned

there's plenty of good software on consoles. sony and MS have their own studios who sell millions of which none of it will ever be released on PCs. besides price point is rather moot. It depends on the consumer's will to buy and the value of the product itself

Consumers will buy if they think the console is worth it. That is if the software is there and if the graphics and gameplay makes it a must buy

But what about the software ? That's the real deal, isn't it ?

It's true that I'm sure there will be exclusives that will look cool. But after owning nearly every console released for the past several decades (literally all of them--even Lynx, Turbographx 16, 32X, Atari Jaguar etc.), I realized this gen that I simply don't have time to play all the games on multiple platforms any more. Even though I bought a 360, a Wii, a PS3, a PSP and a DS this past generation the only system I really played was the 360. Sure there was always maybe one or two games a year on the other systems I played tops but mostly they sat dormant. The industry is so huge at this point that one platform provides an all you can eat buffet of choices.

And the trend is toward multiplatform gaming anyway. Development costs are too expensive not to and all those multiplatform games end up on PC. And not only that: I get them with mods. Skyrim isn't even the same game as on consoles and I don't think I want to play a Bethesda game on consoles anymore with that limitation of going without some of the amazing mods people create. The indie gaming scene is also way, way better on PC. You aren't going to see Legend of Grimrock, Endless Space, Legend of Grimrock, Binding of Isaac, Fortune Summoner, Botanicula, etc on consoles.

Zaventem

Seriously, we are to believe the tweets or any information out of DaE, check this out: https://twitter.com/superdae Read the tweets, DaE is a seriously bent individual.

Please research this before commenting further.

Well it may be a way to just to offset the leak acting crazy is a good way to do that.Who's the guy who post here that leaks shit and types horrible and forms sentences like a 3rd grader, the name escapes me but everything he leaked was 100% factual.

BlackJace

I'm very interested to see how this will all pan out. The three new consoles enter the market, only one leaves victorious.

*rubs hands together*

Really? do you thinking 8 GB RAM, nvidia card, CPU custom by ibm give the same level of price of the 360 at the time? I'm not a developer but from I have read here & there those specs are really challenging for a 2013 release. It's incredible how the things change in a few months. Even the same site some months games talks to keep the expectation lower for the cost... but now all seems possible. I'm confused.

First off 8gb of ram isn't going to happen. We will see ~half of what the dev kits have. So it will be more like 4gb of ram.

Nvidia card is a very broad range of cost. We don't know where it will fall in the realm of things. I doubt it will be a high level card b/c that cost would just be too high.

The 360 had the xenon processor which was also custom built by ibm. How is this any different?

So yeah. Nothing about this seems out of the norm to me. I think they could hit the same price points they did for 360.

derFeef

Those are some seriously weird tweets :lol They don't necessarily mean he's a fake but yeah, definitely raises red flags.

Here's the Visual Studio pic DF was referring to: https://twitter.com/superDaE/status/220676393195933698

I like the infinity/loop logo on that VS window ;)

nAyOH.jpg

Razdek

Banned
No, they'll launch at $399 alright. They'll even throw in an HDMI cable. Then charge you $50 for a battery pack, $64.99 for games, $60 for Xbox Live (or $99 a year for Xbox Live "Platinum"). Every game that wants to be in the launch window will be required to have DLC that is priced at $10 or higher. The bottom end for Live Arcade titles will raise to $10 (except for retro titles under the new "Xbox Arcade Classics" banner. You can keep your gamer tag and convert it over for free if you are a Gold member, but you'll have to pay a $10 "upgrade fee" to move it to the new Xbox if you are Silver. Paid Apps will be introduced.

Then more features will start becoming "Xbox Live Platinum" features: bigger friends list, cloud saves, eliminating dashboard ads, etc.

That's a lot of assumptions on your part there. Nobody really know what they have planned on for the next iteration of Live.

That's a lot of assumptions on your part there. Nobody really know what they have planned on for the next iteration of Live.

I'm guessing based upon the precedent they set. Have you looked at the direction the front end of Live has gone with ads in the last couple of years? And you can't even send messages to your friends from Xbox.com anymore unless you are a Gold member. They also raised the price of Gold. Everything else is stuff they did in the past already: increase MSRP, mandatory pay DLC etc.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
4-6GB of ram and supposedly 1/3rd to be reserved for the massive OS?

2.5-4GB to the games, 1.5GB-2GB for the OS.

Where do you all come up with these ideas? Are you using Windows 7 and looking at some memory pool that includes standby memory and thinking Windows uses a ton of memory?

Windows 8 uses something like < 200 MB of RAM and it's a general purpose OS that can do nearly anything. Why would a prison garden device use 2 GB? For avatar animations?

And as for 8 core intel, I doubt it's something like their flagship core stuff (Sandy/Ivy/Haswell i7). MAYBE something similar to their mobile i5 cores.

onQ123

Well it may be a way to just to offset the leak acting crazy is a good way to do that.Who's the guy who post here that leaks shit and types horrible and forms sentences like a 3rd grader, the name escapes me but everything he leaked was 100% factual.

'Buttcheeksonatrain' or something like that?

Pranay

It's true that I'm sure there will be exclusives that will look cool. But after owning nearly every console released for the past several decades (literally all of them--even Lynx, Turbographx 16, 32X, Atari Jaguar etc.), I realized this gen that I simply don't have time to play all the games on multiple platforms any more. Even though I bought a 360, a Wii, a PS3, a PSP and a DS this past generation the only system I really played was the 360. Sure there was always maybe one or two games a year on the other systems I played tops but mostly they sat dormant. The industry is so huge at this point that one platform provides an all you can eat buffet of choices.

And the trend is toward multiplatform gaming anyway. Development costs are too expensive not to and all those multiplatform games end up on PC. And not only that: I get them with mods. Skyrim isn't even the same game as on consoles and I don't think I want to play a Bethesda game on consoles anymore with that limitation of going without some of the amazing mods people create. The indie gaming scene is also way, way better on PC. You aren't going to see Legend of Grimrock, Endless Space, Legend of Grimrock, Binding of Isaac, Fortune Summoner, Botanicula, etc on consoles.

Their will be "Random X Games not availble on this platform" and random Y Games not availble.

While indie scenes is great on pc, their are plenty of good games on xbla/psn exclusives and also their are plenty of exclusives of first party you will most likly see next gen then third party.

Regarding mods ? it can comes to consoles.

Eh there are some crazy individuals in the tech world. Doesn't really change much.
1) Who is going to make and combine this silicon into a SOC? Can anyone answer this? IBM and AMD are working together on SOI and Common platform and it requires considerable work to get CPU and GPGPU working together. This is the reason Nvidia licensed ARM processors so they can WORK to efficiently combine the CPU & GPGPU. AMD is acknowledged to have an advantage here and it's why they purchased ATI many years ago; they are ahead of everyone.

2) Who is going to second source Intel CPUs? Microsoft would rely on just ONE Foundry for CPUs going into the Xbox 720????

For the Xbox refresh that's coming both IBM and Global Foundries Fab 8 are producing the same chips. For X86 AMD is allowing TSMC and Global Foundries to build their Fusion SOCs.

Their will be "Random X Games not availble on this platform" and random Y Games not availble.

While indie scenes is great on pc, their are plenty of good games on xbla/psn exclusives and also their are plenty of exclusives of first party you will most likly see next gen then third party.

Not sure if serious. I guess it's nice to want things.

onQ123

First off 8gb of ram isn't going to happen. We will see ~half of what the dev kits have. So it will be more like 4gb of ram.

Nvidia card is a very broad range of cost. We don't know where it will fall in the realm of things. I doubt it will be a high level card b/c that cost would just be too high.

The 360 had the xenon processor which was also custom built by ibm. How is this any different?

So yeah. Nothing about this seems out of the norm to me. I think they could hit the same price points they did for 360.

The Dev kits have more than 8GB

Boerseun

Banned
Sony either has to match or exceed in the ram area. 2GB of ram will not cut it for next-gen consoles.

Nonsense. It's all about architecture and efficieny. Microsoft want to run their PC fatware on their console in order to maximise cross-platform functionality, portability and monetisation. They're going to need 4 to 6 GBs of RAM just to boot the thing up.

So finally Microsoft fulfills its dream: a completely closed off walled PC where they make money on every single program, app or internet search.

No installing firefox, no using google to search, no buying apps off developers websites.

Everything channeled and price-fixed through Microsoft for Maximum Profit (tm)

You're of course 100% correct. However, keep in mind there are some people who actively want this. (Even on usually savvy NeoGAF.)

Also, it's interesting to note how OUYA is selling itself on being completely the opposite of Microsoft's vision. Cheap. Completely open. Use and enjoy however you like.

PC gaming is eternal.

No, it isn't.

What passes for PC hardware (i.e. the system) changes quickly and constantly. The dominant OS changes quickly and constantly. How many of the PC games in your library need an emulator/virtual machine app to run properly? I know it's hundreds in mine. If I want to play Ps2 games on my PC I also need an emulator, but I can still play those games using one. Does that make my PC a Ps2? No, it doesn't.

True and with literlaly hundreds of games to play in a given year on any of them, the ones on the platform you don't own won't be missed unless you feel the obbessive need to merely own everything because you sure as hell can't play everything that is good regardless.

Not really, most of those not published by the platform holder find their way to Steam after the exclusivity window ends and usually at a cheaper price and with more features.

Not without some huge restrictions because of the way many mods work and there is n real reason for platform holders to do it since they are paying for the download bandwith and getting no money in return. They aren't stupid. They'd much rather have you buy official DLC than give you access to literally thousands of hours of content for free.

Yeah? No.

Seems like it to me, considering on what most 3rd party publishers seem to be making nowadays.

I like 2D/3D action/adventure platformers, fantasy games (like Zelda), racing, puzzles, fighters, RPG's, light gun shooters (like the House of the Dead series, the Time Crisis series, & the Virtua Cop series), 2D scrolling shooter games (like the Raiden series), Beat-'em-ups, Arcade games, compilations of games (such as Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 & 2, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, etc.), HD remakes, & even a few party games (could also be a fighting party game, like the Smash Bros. series).

Luckily most of those genres are on 360, PS3, & on XBLA & PSN, but I think that there's going to be even more less of that on 720 & PS4.

Looks like that subscription console might be true because I don't see them having an SKU below 400 dollars unless they plan on losing a lot of money to push Sony out of the market.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
We don´t know all the info and you should remember that even the most valuable insiders of this forum received the information of PS4 Specs with a few months of delay.

This is not the first time that we see an huge change of providers in a console hardware, Xenon jumped from Intel and Nvidia to IBM and AMD in middle of the development and I remember how shocked we became when it was announced that Nvidia was going to be PS3´s GPU supplier.

The problem for me is that the 8GB RAM, the 8 Cores CPU (which could be 8 virtual cores) and the NVidia GPU makes me think about the X51 frpm Alienware.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
These comments make absolutely no sense.
Maybe Im missing something?
What's this based on, the games coming out on the system?
as in, Xbox games are more valuable than WiiU games?
Or limited budgets?

Because I think a WiiU is just a tarted up PS360 in terms of console power. Not a true next gen machine at all and the price should reflect that.

PS720's will have that leap in power that's expected. Hence the value I put on it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wow, I've heard some true horse crap but you're on a roll there with some of your posts including some of your followups. Others have already ridiculed you accordingly though so I have nothing further to add.

You know, people simply saying "Nuh-uh!" isn't really ridicule.

The market is moving completely in favor of laptops and tablets, are you seriously going to deny this?
I'm a PC gamer myself and play it more than any other console combined, but i'm not so stubborn as to completely ignore the direction the consumer PC market is going.
I don't find it a stretch to realize that in 10 years, the tower PC will probably be gone or simply a niche product.

How PC gaming will adapt to this, I can't say for sure. But it's definitely going to change.

Pranay

Not really, most of those not published by the platform holder find their way to Steam after the exclusivity window ends and usually at a cheaper price and with more features.

Xbla genreally, psn ? genreally rare

Seems like it to me, considering on what most 3rd party publishers seem to be making nowadays.

I like 2D/3D action/adventure platformers, fantasy games (like Zelda), racing, puzzles, fighters, RPG's, light gun shooters (like the House of the Dead series, the Time Crisis series, & the Virtua Cop series), 2D scrolling shootuer games (like the Raiden series), Beat-'em-ups, Arcade games, compilations of games (such as Capcom Classics Collection Volumes 1 & 2, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, etc.), HD remakes, & even a few party games (could also be a fighting party game, like the Smash Bros. series).

Luckily most of those genres are on 360, PS3, & on XBLA & PSN, but I think that there's going to be even more less of that on 720 & PS4.

we will wait and see

1-D_FTW

Not without some huge restrictions because of the way many mods work and there is n real reason for platform holders to do it since they are paying for the download bandwith and getting no money in return. They aren't stupid. They'd much rather have you buy official DLC than give you access to literally thousands of hours of content for free.

You stealth added:)

Steam and Steamworkshop obviously hosts mods for free. But you're right with the stealth addition, console manufacturers are all about the paid DLC and getting customers shoveled to the next piece of paid content as quickly as possible. They don't want customers lingering on software with great value. It undercuts their entire philosophy and it's why their policies are so hostile regarding patches.

You know, people simply saying "Nuh-uh!" isn't really ridicule.

The market is moving completely in favor of laptops and tablets, are you seriously going to deny this?
I'm a PC gamer myself and play it more than any other console combined, but i'm not so stubborn as to completely ignore the direction the consumer PC market is going.
I don't find it a stretch to realize that in 10 years, the tower PC will probably be gone or simply a niche product.

How PC gaming will adapt to this, I can't say for sure. But it's definitely going to change.

Just because you keep reposting this shit doesn't make it true. Laptops are an abortion of the desktop PC. They're even more decimated by the tablet future than the desktop. Stop acting like this is replacing anything. The laptop has served it's extremely niche purpose and will go the way of the dodo.

Because I think a WiiU is just a tarted up PS360 in terms of console power. Not a true next gen machine at all and the price should reflect that.

PS720's will have that leap in power that's expected. Hence the value I put on it.

Well your avatar is already wrong. It's not on par with the PS3/360 no matter how much you push that agenda. Oh and I can already see the TRUE NEXT GEN moniker replacing next gen all the way until the end of the next generation

Anyway haven't all our leaks been saying AMD? What happened. I can't imagine MS ever going back after losing billions because of Nvidia.

Top Bottom