• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Fps Boost at 120FPS Battlefield 1-4-5/Titanfall 1-2/Mirror's Edge Catalyst Tested

fatmarco

People saying they would prefer a resolution increase well that would require a patch, the whole point of this is to give people extra performance with no input from the developer and no extra lines of code, for free.
I don't see how anybody can be disappointed by that, you can still play Battlefield V at the X1X settings if you prefer or don't have a 120fps screen, it's good to have options.
What? This is the fps equivalent to their 4k res increases of 360 games, Heutchy method etc. , those weren't "patches" either.

They demoed this working on xbox one titles with Gears of War Ultimate at 4k before launch (which still hasn't released), but clearly they were intent at some point to continue this with One titles.

Last edited:

intbal

Why? That game is no longer available for purchase. It would be like asking Sony for a 4K/60 update for DriveClub, which would be pointless as that's another dead game as well.
?????
There are probably tens of thousands of new, sealed copies available for purchase cheap. And used copies available even cheaper.
Amazon has it for under $20

Chukhopops

?????
There are probably tens of thousands of new, sealed copies available for purchase cheap. And used copies available even cheaper.
Amazon has it for under $20
They are not going to do a patch for a game that cannot be bought on the Microsoft Store or played on Gamepass unless you own it. I would love it but that’s not going to happen.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Battlefield 4 is too low res, I'd rather not play it. He says "perfect, 120 all the way through" yet it drops a frame at 5:56, Tom you lying shit.
That game didn't get an upgrade patch for Pro/Series X?
Edit:BF 1, much better in every way, nice.
BFV very nice too, though I would personally take 4k 60fps.
TF2 looks pretty good for 810p, would again choose 4k myself, why didn't they let the DRS take over and give a higher res?
Going to watch the rest of the vid.
You can easily switch it off, if you prefer original X1X version : ) I would say that the game is looking beautiful in it's original form, but I am getting wrecked in BFV, I rather play BF1.

intbal

They are not going to do a patch for a game that cannot be bought on the Microsoft Store or played on Gamepass unless you own it. I would love it but that’s not going to happen.
Where did you see this reported?

Also, FPS Boost isn't a patch. It's an API-intercept.

Also, the game sold at least 2.5 million copies. So there are lots of people who already own the game.

Riky

$MSFT
Jason Ronald was very clear that this is entirely engine dependent and is a problem if logic is tied to framerate. So it isn't going to work on every engine, there will obviously be games that really could do with this boost but just aren't compatible with the trick.

Chukhopops

Where did you see this reported?

Also, FPS Boost isn't a patch. It's an API-intercept.

Also, the game sold at least 2.5 million copies. So there are lots of people who already own the game.
See what, that it’s been delisted? It was posted everywhere and you can see for yourself if you try to buy it:

I have the game myself so I would love it but it simply won’t happen for a game no longer available digitally.

twilo99

Once I played games at 120fps on PC I was never able to enjoy anything below that.. especially first person shooters.

Chukhopops

No.

This part:

When did Microsoft adopt this as policy?

Also, it's a first party game.
It seems to me Microsoft could easily relist it if they wanted to.
MS never patched or made BC compatible a game that wasn‘t available for purchase, although it’s true that there’s no policy about it. They never made the original FH in the BC program or patched FH2 for One X, or made Jet Set Radio Future available.

Also they cannot relist it because the music rights and car image rights are signed for a specific duration. But I guess it’s always possible they patch it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I mean I don’t think they’ll do it for the delisted games either but they did a One X patch for the OG Forza Horizon after that had been delisted.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I'm fully aware, why on earth did you feel it was necessary to write this?

You've come across as a warrior.

Believe me I'm a pc guy I have 3 that I regularly game on.

Just allow xbox to do something good ie pc akin without trying to put shade on it.
Not trying to be a warrior at all bro. I was just responding with no MasterRace attitude. Sorry you took it that way.

intbal

MS never patched or made BC compatible a game that wasn‘t available for purchase, although it’s true that there’s no policy about it. They never made the original FH in the BC program or patched FH2 for One X, or made Jet Set Radio Future available.

Also they cannot relist it because the music rights and car image rights are signed for a specific duration. But I guess it’s always possible they patch it.
There have been several cases where Microsoft added a game to the backwards compatibility list in "Disc Only" form. No relisting required. No new licensing rights required.
In the case of FPS Boost, Microsoft would merely be changing the way their API interacts with the games that are already owned.
It's possible that FH3 can't perform sufficiently with FPS Boost on at its X Enhanced settings.

fatmarco

I think we need to remember that in BC mode the Series S is only 4tflops of GCN (in conjunction with its small bandwidth) , so it was never going to be able to emulate One X games at that high resolution.

We can only judge it when it gets proper ports.

Shmunter

Good intentions marred by needing to run Xbox One VCR versions.

What was MS thinking not ensuring XsX can double One X?

Ironically if Sony pulled their thumbs out, the PS5 power delta over last gen means it would be all PRO versions doubled. Common Jim, you have an opportunity to stick it to Phil here, and we know you like it!

Banned
So frame rate doubles, but resolution drops by around 80%?

I think the issue here is that the games do not actually trigger their dynamic resolution in this due to them being programmed in a way that they only start to drop after the framerate goes below 60fps
so Titanfall 2 would basically try to run at up to 6K resolution on Series X (yes the dynamic res window goes that high in it) and only if it would drop down to 59fps would the engine ever start to drop the resolution to sustain a stable performance. as a result the game would most likely run only slightly above 60fps because it would almost always run at above 4K or at 4K

we can see that the dynamic res doesn't trigger in the instances where the Series S drops way below 120fps but the dynamic res does not drop whatsoever.

if these games ran at a locked 4K60 on One X they would run at around 4k120 on Series X, but they don't. all these games drop down significantly below 4K on One X when stressed, but at 120fps they couldn't use the dynamic res to stabilize fps.
Titanfall 2 can theoretically run at 6K60fps on One X, and according to Respawn it actually hits that res in very rare undemanding scenes on undemanding maps. but it of course actually runs more in the neighborhood of ~1500p in normal gameplay scenarios
same, to a lesser degree, with Battlefied 1 and V, they can run at 4K60 but they usually don't and use the dynamic res in really stressful scenes to keep that framerate up, so they can go down way hard at times.

so they just run the games in One S mode where the dynamic res has a way lower upper boundary. the developers would need to patch the games specifically to target 120fps with their dynamic res in order to fix this.

Last edited:

Banned
There have been several cases where Microsoft added a game to the backwards compatibility list in "Disc Only" form. No relisting required. No new licensing rights required.

I bet their way or recompiling the games would contractually count as a reissue of the game since it is not the exact same code as on the disc, and you do not actually use the files on the disc, you download an adjusted version of the game.

if they made the emulation purely an emulator that simply runs the exact Xbox 360/og Xbox code as it is on the disc, then they would have no issue making every single game backwards compatible. but they don't.

Last edited:

intbal

I bet their way or recompiling the games would contractually count as a reissue of the game since it is not the exact same code as on the disc, and you do not actually use the files on the disc, you download an adjusted version of the game.

if they made the emulation purely an emulator that simply runs the exact Xbox 360/og Xbox code as it is on the disc, then they would have no issue making every single game backwards compatible. but they don't.
Until Microsoft precisely explains their backwards compatibility processes, including any "special cases" like disc only games, I'll choose to ignore pretty much everyone's claims about what is or isn't possible.
That's probably what everyone should be doing.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
200.gif

Banned
Until Microsoft precisely explains their backwards compatibility processes, including any "special cases" like disc only games, I'll choose to ignore pretty much everyone's claims about what is or isn't possible.
That's probably what everyone should be doing.

well we know how almost entirely how it works. they have to recompile all the shaders for example. they recompile shaders, repackage the game and do some other secret sauce to make the games run.
so they have to alter the game's files. and as long has they have to do that, the back compat version is basically a new version of the game

Chukhopops

I mean I don’t think they’ll do it for the delisted games either but they did a One X patch for the OG Forza Horizon after that had been delisted.
I didn’t know that, I stand corrected. I guess it is possible then but I still don’t see it happen.

Fredrik

Crazy what they can do amazing stuff their BC team is hands down the best.
Yeah they’re ahead of everyone except maybe emulator coders here. I don’t understand how it works even though I’ve heard Jason Ronald explain it. They’re highjacking the video output somehow and tell the untouched game code that they’re done with the task of outputting a 60fps frame, at half the time, they receive another frame to output, again at half the time, etc. But why aren’t the game speed doubled as well? How can they incept only the video output?

Anyway this tech needs to be used on the Need for Speed games!

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
All i can see is BF4 not running maxed.
Unacceptable. In 2021

it was a ps3 game ffs

Last edited:

YCoCg

It's a shame they had to fall back to original Xbox One, the consoles themselves should easily be able to handle 120fps at 1080p for these games.

Top Bottom