• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Gears 5 Upgrades For Xbox Series X Tested - Enhanced Graphics, 120Hz, Lower Latency + More!

Insane Metal

Gold Member

• SP: dynamic res, 1080p to 2160p, with an average of 1720p
  • MP: 1080p at 120FPS
  • Small dips in FPS but mostly due to bugs which will be fixed with an update
  • Series S will run at dynamic res 720p to 1440p
  • SSGI, several upgrades to shadows, lighting, textures and shaders
  • VRS Tier 2 gives 5 to 12% improvement in performance (as per Devs)
  • Greatly reduced input latency
  • Load times reduced from 42s on One X to 8s on XSX

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
DLI sounds awesome, I believe they are backpatching it into the older controllers as well. I can;t find comparisons against standard controllers versus those with DLI so if anyone has a link, throw it this way. I saw something on reddit against a DS4 but it was reddit and the numbers looked ridiculous

Danny 117

Nice to see the multiplayer is a solid locked 120, and he was playing against Bots which would be more demanding.

Campaign seems to dip to 1080p in the worst scenario (with dynamic resolution) and he thinks the XSS version may dip as low as 720p....

Overall looks like a decent port.

Last edited:

Fake

They really need to disable agressive resolution because running at 1080p even if are on heavy scenes is quite strange, at least on singleplayer.

TrebleShot

Why do we need native 4k, the specs on these machines won't support it so they should focus on reconstruction tech if they are interested in sharper imagery.

Not even a 3090 is clocking most games at 4k native, 60fps plus.

DLSS, Checkerboard etc more important and efficient.

Wait, wasn't the campaign 4K60 with dynamic resolution on the One X? Now it's still 4K60 with dynamic resolution on the Series X? Cutscenes at 1440p? Like, what have they cranked up so much that resolution is still either not native or dynamic but real close to 4K? Haven't seen the video yet since I'm at work. But do they explain why it is as such?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I understand the dynamic resolution on multiplayers because fps matters online, but is quite bizzare the agressive resolution on the singleplayer mode.
It's extremely silly because clearly the console isnt capable of doing this at native 4k 60 fps. and thats ok, even my rtx 2080 cant do that and averages out at 45 fps on the highest settings.

just drop down to 1800p and turn down some settings and that shouldve been good enough but they want native 4k for marketing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wait, wasn't the campaign 4K60 with dynamic resolution on the One X? Now it's still 4K60 with dynamic resolution on the Series X? Cutscenes at 1440p? Like, what have they cranked up so much that resolution is still either not native or dynamic but real close to 4K? Haven't seen the video yet since I'm at work. But do they explain why it is as such?
it was dynamic 4k 60 fps but it sat at 1080p most of the time. it was only native 4k very rarely.

this is a large upgrade over that seeing as how it goes up to 1720p on average or roughly 3x more pixels.

120Hz support is in for multiplayer and the good news is that it works exactly as you'd hope - the game reaches the target 120fps and seems to hold there most of the time. Now, of course, I've only had a chance to play bot matches against the CPU but that should technically be more demanding, I'd imagine. Either way, the frame-rate was locked 99 per cent of the time in my tests with only occasional hiccups. It really feels dramatically better too - 120Hz could be a huge deal for multiplayer games this generation as well.

Great news, really regretting not picked by up that 120hz TV with his many games XsX is getting that support it.

Banned
4K is not demanding when a dynamic scaler are in place.

The game really needs more optimization.

well, that's why it is there, here's a video of the game running at Ultra 4k on an RTX2080

you will see many dips below 60fps whenever there's a lot going on or even at fast camera movements.

and remember, the Series X additionally uses SSRT Global Illumination which is missing from the PC version
and even tho that is a relatively light form of raytracing, it still adds to the strain of the GPU

Last edited:

Fake

It's extremely silly because clearly the console isnt capable of doing this at native 4k 60 fps. and thats ok, even my rtx 2080 cant do that and averages out at 45 fps on the highest settings.

just drop down to 1800p and turn down some settings and that shouldve been good enough but they want native 4k for marketing.

I know native 4k is asking too much from both consoles.
My problem is running at 1080p on heavy scenes just like Xbox One X. Is on the article.

ethomaz

Banned
DF says the X reached 1080p way more frequently than Series X.

"To get the basics out of the way first, Gears 5 retains the use of dynamic resolution scaling, but based on pixel counting a selection of shots, it seems to average out at around 1728p during gameplay, with full 2160p manifesting in less busy situations. Interestingly, the lower bounds is still 1080p - just as it was on Xbox One X - but it's extremely uncommon for resolution to hit this level. By comparison, Xbox One X could drop to near 1080p much more often. "

The average resolution is closer to 1440p than 4k for Series X.

PS. I remember that a lot of people believe the game on Xbox One X was native 4k at launch... but it was really most of time in the lower end (1080p)... so Series X is really having a way higher resolution here.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Why do we need native 4k, the specs on these machines won't support it so they should focus on reconstruction tech if they are interested in sharper imagery.

Not even a 3090 is clocking most games at 4k native, 60fps plus.

DLSS, Checkerboard etc more important and efficient.

The obsession with native 4k on consoles is a strange one.

Most people on PC with superior hardware don't even game at native 4k in most cases.

Somewhere between 1440p and 4k usually does the job and I've always said, unless you are right up close the difference between 1440p and 4k at normal sitting distances is not worth the trade-off in performance.

You need 3080 and above hardware for native 4k and 60fps to be realistic. Which is why I ultimately think we will start seeing native 4k running at the usual 30fps (with dips) on these consoles within the next year or so as the previous generation of consoles get left behind in development plans.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Its more gears.

It's ok but the series needs a bit of a revamp/overhaul now.
I thought this gave it a mini revamp. Kind of had open world a little. But I think the combat/inventory needs overhauled.
I will replay this though for the 120hz

GHG

Gold Member
I thought this gave it a mini revamp. Kind of had open world a little. But I think the combat/inventory needs overhauled.
I will replay this though for the 120hz

The "open" sections of the game were entirely pointless. Just barren areas to traverse through.

The best new addition was Jack but even that was undercooked IMO. Wasted potential, there was room for them to do so much more with his abilities and upgrades.

Fake

well, that's why it is there, here's a video of the game running at Ultra 4k on an RTX2080

you will see many dips below 60fps whenever there's a lot going on or even at fast camera movements.

and remember, the Series X additionally uses SSRT Global Illumination which is missing from the PC version
and even tho that is a relatively light form of raytracing, it still adds to the strain of the GPU

The game is already using a mix of dynamic scaler plus SSR.

They just need to mix between high and ultra to remove the 1080p.
Bump the lesser resolution to 1440p.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Nice try. 1720p average frame rate is really good for PC Ultra settings.

Take your selective quoting console wars back to Twitter.
Don't forget the new screen space global illumination. I can't imagine that not having quite a performance hit.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Was Gears 5 a good game?

It was a good game.

But in the same way people say Call of Duty year after year is shit even if the games by themselves are actually great if not exhausting to buy year on year Gears 5s biggest weakness to most haters is the existence of Gears of War 1 - 4.
Weve seen that sometimes NOT changing the formula of an eSports title is the best thing to do and Gears Tactics, Gears Rampage, Gears whatever can/will take the universe in different directions.....the core Gears of War audience doesnt actually want the formula to change too much.

As someone who actually got tired of Call of Duty (I legit didnt buy a COD for years none of that fufu boycott where I claim its shit but still buy it) I still ended up enjoying Gears 5 a ton.
I do think the open world didnt need to be a thing and basically prolonged the experience for no good reason other than time for exposition, a choice but one I would rather NOT have. The little side stories again were great by themselves but maybe just not in a Gears of War game.
But it was still a fun time whenever it was a pure Gears of War game.

Horde is still the best way to quickly get a blood for the blood god fix.

On Topic
I think its a pretty good update and for any people joining the Xbox ecosystem this generation getting to play the whole series is well worth it with this being the smoothest most responsive Gears game yet....im super curious t test it on nextgen.
It was already amazing on PC.

Still think Gears of War is an absolutely stunning stunning game.

As much as I want Gears 6, im actually hoping its a mid/late gen title and The Coalition gets to work on something entirely different for their next Unreal Engine 4 title.
Gears 6 can be the Unreal Engine 5 kingpin title whenever they release that.

Top Bottom