• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Hellblade 2 - Is A 60FPS Performance Mode Actually Possible On Xbox Series X?

winjer

Gold Member
I have to disagree there. That is very much in dispute since XSX actually has a less powerful GPU when it comes to various fixed function throughputs such as pixel fill rate, geometry generation/rasterization, culling, command processing, async scheduling etc. Those are all "raw" throughputs related to a GPU's overall power. I don't think it makes any sense take speed out of the power equation, it is an inherent and determining factor. Same is true for other facets influencing the efficiency such as cache latencies/bandwidth and cache scrubbers. A GPUs power is the sum of all those things it's not just about of one or two metrics in isolation. So yeah, very much in dispute and with good reasons.

UE5 uses a compute based rasterization engine. Not the ROPs. So this won't be a factor.
Async should have a bigger impact on the Series X, due to it having a wider GPU with slower clocks.
But the rest of the things you say are a real factor on why the PS5 can perform better than the Series X.

Lysandros

UE5 uses a compute based rasterization engine. Not the ROPs. So this won't be a factor.
Async should have a bigger impact on the Series X, due to it having a wider GPU with slower clocks.
But the rest of the things you say are a real factor on why the PS5 can perform better than the Series X.
Just to clarify, i was commenting about the concept of power in general not in the confine of a single game engine's/UE5 specifics. As to async, XSX subsystem (GCP+4 ACEs+HWS same as PS5/standard RDNA set-up) has to feed 16 more CUs while being slower due to frequency. A few months ago Immortals Of Aveum (UE5) developer posted that async compute performance was generally faster on PS5 compared to XSX in their game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why is it so important to make a separate video? It's hardly matter at what fps to walk.

This is not a separate video, this is a section snipped from the tech video that John made.

There's already a topic about it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

VRS was used in the Dead Space remake and it murdered image quality on series x.

VRS was used on both PS5 and series x when the game launched, the PS5 version was blurrier compared to the xbox, but then vrs was removed from both in a Post release patch.

This feature is enforced across every platform but the software VRS solution used specifically on PS5 has a serious problem - it basically ruins image quality

Last edited:

adamsapple

Edit: Avatar is also "a good example" i think. Current gen only, mesh shaders on both systems, RT GI at 60 FPS, not any less graphically impressive/complex than AW 2 and the game runs better on PS5.

The flaw with this comparison is that Avatar runs the same on both consoles with Xbox only having more drops in stress situations, while Alan Wake has persistent stretches of 10 FPS or thereabout worse on PS5 in entire areas of the game like Lake Cauldron, where 1/3rd of the game takes place.

With avatar, they even went and fixed a flickering issue that the Xbox version had at launch with the recent updates, so there's nothing to separate them visually now either.

is

Three

"60fps in gameplay" shows her just walking around and hitting 45. I don't think people care if it hits a consistent 60 when they're pressing forward or watching cutscrnes but they might when there is an actual battle where responsiveness is important. Yet there was zero battle footage in that fps test for some reason.

Darsxx82

The flaw with this comparison is that Avatar runs the same on both consoles with Xbox only having more drops in stress situations, while Alan Wake has persistent stretches of 10 FPS or thereabout worse on PS5 in entire areas of the game like Lake Cauldron, where 1/3rd of the game takes place.

With avatar, they even went and fixed a flickering issue that the Xbox version had at launch with the recent updates, so there's nothing to separate them visually now either.

is

There is one, Avatar on XSX also works with a higher average resolution (DRS) than on PS5.....

It is the typical situation where Lysandros "forgets" to express the complete reality because because. Among others, Avatar has PS5 as its base development platform, which says a lot in favor of how XSX comes out ahead in the comparasion.

Then. We will see in the future, but until today the games with UE5 are doing very well with XSX in comparisons with PS5 (some here predicted the opposite).. And Epic's latest presentation for UE 5.4 highlights major improvements and optimizations for XSX.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
-true RDNA 2
-sustained 12 teraflops
-hardware based VRS
-velocity architecture and storage

BPsyXlo.jpeg

Top Bottom