• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Hitman 3 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's just an extreme overreaction tbqh. Teraflops aren't everything, you were right to believe that. However, if this trend continues and Series X games continue to pull notable performance advantage the majority of the time going forward, then I think it's worth stating that a lot of people may've been underplaying the system's other advantages, as it does have a good few such as higher texture fillrate, more physical cache (due to having a larger GPU), faster bandwidth on GPU-optimized memory (10 GB @ 560 GB/s), and a few other things.

At the same time PS5 has some advantages over Series X, namely pixel fillrate, culling rate and triangle rasterization rate. I'm just focusing on GPU-side things, here, it's not like one system has 100% advantage over the other. But yeah, I would say some have understated Series X's particular advantages; over time it having more CUs will afford a benefit in parallelized workloads, and maybe there are actually some "full RDNA 2" features specific to gaming the system has that PS5 doesn't have (or doesn't have equivalents to), similar to how PS5 has cache scrubbers and cache coherency engines (to aid in the use of cache scrubbers) and Series X doesn't.

All I'm saying is, don't take the results seen here as simply being due to "moar teraflopz!"; it's potentially more complicated than that. Likewise if we see some other 3P games having some edges on PS5 it probably won't be as simple as "fasterz GPU!" or cache scrubbers, either. These are both very capable machines with a few advantages over the other and we've already seen some surprises from Sony's design in a few results that could speak to benefits in their design not yet understood, it really shouldn't be too surprising when we see results from Microsoft's design that speak to their strengths, and in some cases we might see results that speak to benefits not yet even known or understood about the hardware.
I've said this before, but people basing performance off of cross-gen will not give the most clear cut answer. Even when multi-platform games built from the ground up for PS5 and Series X show their true colors the difference will be miniscule. Exclusives all the way obviously, and if pixel peeping is what everyone wants to do here than they're better off with a gaming PC.

assurdum

Banned
Yes, that's clearly possible.
In theory ps5 should have an advantage in stencil shadow. If I'm not wrong higher rasterisation is more important than more CUs. I can't speak about the resolution, but the shadow setting doesn't make sense to me. Obviously if I remember correctly. Anyway the delta in resolution seems a bit too large if we consider the raw bandwidth and the TF counts.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Someone made a good point in the Next Gen thread. All this arguing and trolling, and how many of you are actrually going to buy this game?.
Its like the Dirt 5 thread, it was what?, 18 pages or something like that?, yet how many of you actually bought the game?.
I did, on PC, and it was great.

So what will it take to actually "See" the difference between 1800p and 4K? 200%, 400%, or 800% zoom?

I guess that depends on who you ask. I noticed a big difference when switching from performance mode to performance ray tracing mode in Miles Morales but that is a much bigger drop in resolution, going from 4k to 1200p on average.

1800p is pretty great but still noticeably less sharp to me than native 4k

The XsX version probably looks a bit sharper to most anyone viewing them side by side but it's not like the PS5 version is a blurry mess.

Someone made a good point in the Next Gen thread. All this arguing and trolling, and how many of you are actrually going to buy this game?.
Its like the Dirt 5 thread, it was what?, 18 pages or something like that?, yet how many of you actually bought the game?.

I am gonna pick it up on my PS5 when it hits 40 bucks or under. I am too busy with backlog at the moment

Last edited:

Gudji

I'm playing it (you can download a free trial), it's just like the previous two games, not sure I'm going to buy it at full price.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Most of us will take 30% more pixels for being 60fps 90-95% of the time. Especially if you have a display that supports VRR, and even if you don't.
See the post above.

Is it just the sniper use that also drops frames? What else with effects could also cause it?

Stuart360

I'm playing it (you can download a free trial), it's just like the previous two games, not sure I'm going to buy it at full price.
Well i dont even like playing the Hitman games. I like watching them on streams and Youtube though, from people with more patience than me ha.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I spent $2000 on a 4K TV, $700 on a PS5 (CDN), and my games aren't in 4K?

All because internet nerds complained about perfectly good 30FPS for decades?

I do not give a single FUCK about 60FPS, it is the most overrated (and worthless) feature in gaming history.

Is there a 4K30 option on PS5?

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

PS5 tools will not improve confirmed.

Well at least the tool narrative ends here.

umm, so 2 race cars of similar weight and aerodynamics are running about the same numbers at the 1/4 mile despite one having 1038HP and the other 1216HP, the narrative being that the more powerful car has bald tires. The car with the bald tires just got new ones and is finally surpassing the weaker.

You’re saying the 1038HP car will also improve grip further making them equal again 🤡

Last edited:

Stuart360

I spent $2000 on a 4K TV, $700 on a PS5 (CDN), and my games aren't in 4K?

All because internet nerds complained about perfectly good 30FPS for decades?

I do not give a single FUCK about 60FPS, it is the most overrated (and worthless) feature in gaming history.

Is there a 4K30 option on PS5?
Sarcastic?. 60fps is the most worthless feature in gaming, but 4k isnt?.
I'm sure you are in the minority with that.

Gudji

umm, so 2 race cars of similar weight and aerodynamics are running about the same numbers at the 1/4 mile despite one having 1038HP and the other 1216HP, the narrative being that the more powerful car has bald tires.

You’re saying the 1038HP car will also improve grip further making them equal again 🤡
Hum no, I'm saying both will improve over time and show it's own advantages over each other. 🤷‍♂️

Represent.

Sarcastic?. 60fps is the most worthless feature in gaming, but 4k isnt?.
I'm sure you are in the minority with that.
Hyperbole sure, but not sarcasm.

4K, Resolution, Sharpness, VISUAL fidelity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 60FPS and 1800p blurry nonsense.

ALL DAY :messenger_grinning_squinting: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You're extra butthurt today aren't you, it's alright go hug your ps5.

No not really. It's nice to see xbox fans happy, but at the same time they are setting themselves up to be complete idiots and exaggerating as if this was supposed to be their saving game. It's almost like their console can't be a success as long as the PlayStation still exists.

This was evident last months with the constant "12TF" bullshit, and that the PS5 would not be able to keep up with the XSX at all.

Because DF uses such a title in their video, it is clear to see that they also know how desperate the xbox fanbase is.

Stuart360

4K, Resolution, Sharpness, VISUAL fidelity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 60FPS and 1800p blurry nonsense.

You probably wouldnt even notice the 1800p if you had played the game and didnt know beforehand that it wasnt 4k.
The funny thing is that games look way cleaner at 60fps over 30fps, due to double the frames adding detail and clarity and visual data to the image quality.
Also it was a bit silly to buy a PS5 and a $700 TV expecting most/all games to be 4k. There will be less and less of them as the gen goes on, and the cross gen shit goes away.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
So are these native versions for XSX and PS5? Or enhanced backwards compatibility?

Can't watch video at the moment.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Hum no, I'm saying both will improve over time and show it's own advantages over each other. 🤷‍♂️

You sarcastically said the PS5 tools will not improve, implying that’s all it will take to match Series X despite the 1038 vs 1215 HP difference.

As both machines improve over time and get closer to their theoretical max, their games will improve, but one of the two has a higher theoretical max, so getting closer to 12 will always be better than getting closer to 10.

asustitan

Banned
-Ultra textures on PS5/XSX and high on XSS.
-TAA on all versions.
-Shadow in high on XSX, medium on PS5 and low on XSS.
-60fps on PS5 & XSX & 50-60fps on XSX/S for 0.00001% of the game.
-No RT.
-0.5s Faster loading times on PS5.

Seriously why bother.

Last edited:

Gudji

You sarcastically said the PS5 tools will not improve, implying that’s all it will take to match Series X despite the 1038 vs 1215 HP difference.

As both machines improve over time and get closer to their theoretical max, their games will improve, but one of the two has a higher theoretical max, so getting closer to 12 will always be better than getting closer to 10.
Yes, I did use sarcasm. But we've had multiple games compared since the launch of both consoles and the performance delta was always small and I see no reason why that will not continue to be the case. PS5 will get wins, XSX will get wins since they both have hardware advantages over each other.

Represent.

You probably wouldnt even notice the 1800p if you had played the game and didnt know beforehand that it wasnt 4k.
The funny thing is that games look way cleaner at 60fps over 30fps, due to double the frames adding detail and clarity and visual data to the image quality.
Also it was a bit silly to buy a PS5 and a $700 TV expecting most/all games to be 4k. There will be less and less of them as the gen goes on, and the cross gen shit goes away.
Just give me the highest possible resolution at 30FPS. Do NOT sacrifice my beautiful visual fidelity and crispness for "smoothness" and framerate.

Literally all of the best games I have ever played in my life have been at 30FPS. Im perfectly ok with it, so just hit me with the best, sharpest image you can.

Or at least give me the option. If this game has a 4K30 mode then im alright.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Yes, I did use sarcasm. But we've had multiple games compared since the launch of both consoles and the performance delta was always small and I see no reason why that will not continue to be the case. PS5 will get wins, XSX will get wins since they both have hardware advantages over each other.

That's not what they want to hear.

This trend. Good Lord. Again people look just to the raw number and doesn't uses the logic to understand what could be the possible reason behind such different graphic setting.
Is that to myself or the poster I was quoting?

I've said this before, but people basing performance off of cross-gen will not give the most clear cut answer. Even when multi-platform games built from the ground up for PS5 and Series X show their true colors the difference will be miniscule. Exclusives all the way obviously, and if pixel peeping is what everyone wants to do here than they're better off with a gaming PC.

Most likely yeah, once 3P games with 9th-gen as the baseline begin appearing we will most likely see parity, at least more often than not. If we see slight resolution advantages in say Series X versions, or some load time advantages in PS5 versions, that should not be surprising given what we know about the systems.

It's true, paper specs don't mean all that much at the end of the day, but they are of some general value in terms of at least a few metrics. They should not be 100% dismissed. Really though having a balance of understanding that AND also understanding the very specific technical features of each system and how all of those work together is the best approach. Unfortunately only a minority of people will be capable of this even fewer of them will be able to discuss performance results in a way that cuts out any of their own biases or latent inner warrior (however strong or weak it actually is).

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Cross gen game... Again no winners or losers here.

Although it looks like a step above the crop of rushed launch games, and an indication that certain games on the XsX were coming in hot and some should have been delayed. I get the feeling that they could have upped things for the PS5 and removed the bug on the XsX. As time progresses, we should see some really nice looking games on these consoles once devs fully get to grip with them.

Certain people talking about bottlenecks and repeating nonsense from other know-nothing fanboys should take heed.

Still, looks great on both systems

Honestly to see that still hybrid resolutions, 1188p, 1296p, 1560p, 1680p, 1800p on next generation consoles is ridiculous even for how they have been presented and sold. I absolutely don't care that they are cross-gen titles and who develops them, every videogame title that is branded Playstation 5 or Xbox SX must have at least resolutions of 4k 30 / 60fps. At this point it is best to stay with a Playstation 4 Pro or Xbox ONEX hardware.

bender

What time is it?

source.gif

Stuart360

Honestly to see that still hybrid resolutions, 1188p, 1296p, 1560p, 1680p, 1800p on next generation consoles is ridiculous even for how they have been presented and sold. I absolutely don't care that they are cross-gen titles and who develops them, every videogame title that is branded Playstation 5 or Xbox SX must have at least resolutions of 4k 30 / 60fps. At this point it is best to stay with a Playstation 4 Pro or Xbox ONEX hardware.
Nah i use those weird resolutions all the time on PC. I get the game to 60fps, then start upping the rez in bits until my gpu is getting close to max.
Those resolutions do add clarity and cleaness on a 4ktv, over 1080p. Even on a 1080p screen they add cleaness.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
anyone who prefers lower res just for solid frames in less than 1% of the game is truly delusional

It's as delusional as thinking 1800p is blurry and clearly worse than native 4K. 90% of gamers probably couldn't tell the difference if they weren't told.

Stuart360

It's as delusional as thinking 1800p is blurry and clearly worse than native 4K. 90% of gamers probably couldn't tell the difference if they weren't told.
Most people def wouldnt tell if they didnt already know. If they were side by side you WOULD see the PS5 version looking softer. but people dont play like that.
I have played many PC games at 1871p, and i could tell it wasnt native 4k, but its still looked great on my 4ktv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom