• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

todd360

looking at the BF4 PS4 footage on JackFrags channel and my God... I wouldn't be shocked if BF sold more then COD in the long run for next-gen consoles

just looking at it getting there to PC effects with 64player and I would wonder why would someone go and get a next-gen console just so they could play COD

it is like a person getting a gaming rig and the first thing they do is play COD on it

never doubt the stupidity of COD only dudebros.

Loudninja

I sure don't see the effect of the near-constant 'XO drivers suck' 'MS SDK six months behind' and 'ESRAM hobbling performance' claims we've seen here for weeks. If that's as bad as it gets, next gen should be pretty amazing.
Ahhh this is pretty damn bad.

No massively inferior infers a HUGE difference. Wii compared to 360 or PS3. Wii U compared to PS4 and XB1. That is a Massively inferior difference. The PS4 is superior to the XB1, absolutely no doubt about it but yes, saying "massively inferior" IS an exaggeration of the differences.

Regarding specs XBO is massively inferior. It is not up for debate. DOT.

I posted this thought in a now closed thread, but I think it applies here.

From the BF4 comparisons, the differences are not terribly noticeable without staring at freeze-frames and really analyzing things - my most hated activity of the PS360 comparisons. If this turns out to be the case, isn't that actually saying a lot about the XO when you combine it with all the GAF confirmed insider rumors?

If I believe what I see and read - XO SDK is a disaster, EsRAM is a useless bottleneck right now, and the XO OS is Windows ME levels of crap. But the two versions of BF4 seen so far are this close? I must be missing something, but this sounds kind of promising for the XO. Clearly the raw power of the PS4 isn't there, but it's more than capable of keeping pace, it seems.

If these are the kinds of differences we're going to see going ahead, I don't think the Xbox One is a disaster. BF4 looks next gen on both systems (to me at least) and the Xbox One version clearly represents a framerate upgrade on last gen too. I've said this a lot, Xbox One games seem to be no worse than Xbox 360 games when it comes to resolution and framerate, and more often than not offer a big improvement compared to the same kind of game last gen, and that's not even getting into all the other graphical improvements going on inside each frame.

But the differences are exactly where we pegged them. Multiplatform games ARE going to be clearly better looking on PS4, and PS4 is almost certainly going to have the better looking exclusives.

No one died because they only had a PS2, and the differences here are arguably similar (taking onboard higher resolutions and framerates).

We've been told that, no, the differences don't really exist, by certain sources, and it's good to finally be able to call that out. Dice have done a good job here with the Xbox One version... but the difference exists. Big enough to change your pre-order? No, I don't think so.

But the cheaper system IS the more powerful. We can put talk of balance and parity behind us now, I hope. Because its now finally revealed to be the nonsense I always suspected it was.

That some people don't care about the difference or can't see it, does nothing for me. Some people think they're watching HD when they plug their cable box into their HDTV via composite cables.

Bittercup

originally posted by canis lupus:

posted yet

i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

And there it is: uncompressed, native captures with correct output calibration.

PS4 is clearly superior in just about every way.
It's the PS4 version with a sharpen filter applied. It's not correctly calibrated and supposed to look like that.
gif created by shinra-bansho: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87940721&postcount=3984
based on images from Replicant: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87940187&postcount=3887

nib95

Banned
They botched up capture from Xbone and PS4. Xbone has crushed blacks where in other videos from different sites it doesn't
PS4 on other hand has some weird blurr going on where in other videos there is no blurr.

Currently IGN has best quality videos but still to be honest compression is evident.

What is most funny is that apparently sharpen filter and more contrast = better looking game ignoring fact that xbone version is just 1280x720 and aliasing shimmering is very noticeable compared to PS4 version (thanks to better res and AA). Also it is missing some effects like AO (which will be patched in for final version ) and there is no motion blurr in MP.
Also framerate is worse on Xbone version even without implementing mentioned AO which will make hard impact of framerate.

If i told people that they have contrest and sharpen in their TV options that would probably blow people mind away.

Thanks for the update. I've only just tuned in and it's hard to keep up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So basically, the PS4 version looks better, runs considerably better and does this whilst managing 56% more pixels (900p) over the Xbox One versions 720p resolution. To me if anything, that sounds like more than a 30-40% performance difference. If they dropped the XO version to 720p, I'd have at least expected the frame rate to stay solid. Fact that it runs at a lower resolution and still has these performance woes with heavier frame drops etc is what surprises me.

Penello am cry. Let the games do the talking indeed. Lol.

Yeah, I'm honestly shocked at how big the differences are. Improved post processing, AA and HBAO don't come cheap and the game is running at a higher resolution with a steadier framerate.

Raist

Banned
I think DICE should put out some footage of BF4 running at 1600x900 with AO on XB1 just for a laugh.

Yeah, I'm honestly shocked at how big the differences are. Improved post processing, AA and HBAO don't come cheap and the game is running at a higher resolution with a steadier framerate.

Well, I'm not entirely sure the AA solution is actually different. But harsher upscaling + that weird sharpness filter, that'll do it.

Xenon

Some of the people in here care entirely too much about the pictures these websites are capturing. It's like they can't live with themselves knowing things shouldn't look how they think they should look.

When you're in a war you have a vested interest in the people providing the ammunition.

I think most people who where interested in the Xbox can walk away happy from this comparison. Considering the hype for the differences in the PS4 and XBO versions, this was a non event. It's not pronounced enough to deter someone who was interested in getting MS new system. But there is enough of a difference that PS4's fans can whip out the gif's and feel superior.

Its a win win.

iceatcs

Bit offtopic,

I'm wondering how are they doing with the screenshot sharing feature. Will these pictures go to be doctored, resized or change image quality?

They botched up capture from Xbone and PS4. Xbone has crushed blacks where in other videos from different sites it doesn't
PS4 on other hand has some weird blurr going on where in other videos there is no blurr.

Currently IGN has best quality videos but still to be honest compression is evident.

What is most funny is that apparently sharpen filter and more contrast = better looking game ignoring fact that xbone version is just 1280x720 and aliasing shimmering is very noticeable compared to PS4 version (thanks to better res and AA). Also it is missing some effects like AO (which will be patched in for final version ) and there is no motion blurr in MP.
Also framerate is worse on Xbone version even without implementing mentioned AO which will make hard impact of framerate.

If i told people that they have contrest and sharpen in their TV options that would probably blow people mind away.

The blur is from FXAA and you can probably turn it off. It also looks better in motion than on screenshots.

Regarding specs XBO is massively inferior. It is not for debate. DOT.

Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, Ill play these games on my PC... you know the real system that makes both these consoles "massively inferior" Now THAT is not an exaggeration.

Clearly that's all this thread has become, a bunch of dick waving with exaggerated notions.

callahan09

Neo Member
It looks to me like the Xbox One version was captured in 720p by Digital Foundry. Is there any confirmation of that?

The HUD is noticeably larger like you'd get from having a lower resolution. If it was being upscaled to 1080p, wouldn't the HUD look about the same size as the PS4 version?

I imagine if this is the case, then if the XO version was upscaled to 1080p, it would look softer and blurrier than the PS4 version, and likewise if the PS4 version was displayed downscaled to 720p it would have appeared sharper. The jaggies would be eliminated further by downscaling to 720p on the PS4 version, while they'd be further exacerbated by upscaling the XO version.

I'm not an expert so if anyone can correct me I'd appreciate it.

velociraptor

I would rather DICE drop HBAO and got for a cheaper option like SSAO. That will allow them to remove FXAA and add MSAA. Or is this wishful thinking? I've never cared for HBAO on PC games I've played. I always go for the 'cheapest' option and instead used the gained frames to improve IQ.

keuja

I couldn't understand now how the DF capture could look so different than the others vids so I just made some visual comparison of a random HD picture (which contained some finer details elements) on my TV to see for myself.

Holy shit, I never realized that the sharpness settings on the TV made such a visual impact. I'm kind of mindblown. It's a completely different picture with sharpness=0 and sharpness=100...

You're right lol. I knew that there were such options but I never really fiddled with them so never knew how they could so radically change the picture...

Seriously several people have quoted that back to you... Are you ignorant or just a troll???

Read the thread perhaps...

Calm down, son. No one has quoted me. People are saying they fucked up and admitted to it. I'd like to know how and a link. I've read how in between the five minutes of me asking and you getting mad that I asked.

nib95

Banned

I expected only a resolution difference. Not a higher resolution, better effects, post processing, AA and a better average frame rate. As you rightly mentioned, these additional improvements won't have come cheap in terms of resources. They seem like a lot more than 30-40%'s worth.

I am happy to eat crow. I didn't think there would be much of a difference at launch if any, evidently I was wrong. The PS4 version is clearly the superior version here.

Outside of DF being DF.

The gap between PS4 and Xbox One is fucking big. The PS4 version is in a different league.

Really? I must really have no concept of what "50% more powerful" looks like or how the PS4 version is in a different league because all I see is better textures and more aliasing in the XB1 version and smoother objects with blurrier/missing textures on the PS4 version which seems more like visual a trade off if anything. Half of those images I prefer the PS4 version and the other half I prefer the XB1. Obviously a cross gen game isn't going to blow anyone away but this is still disappointing on the PS4 front for me. I was at least expecting better textures regardless of their reasoning for them looking muddier. All versions look pretty meh, but after everyone was touting the PS4 version as the end all be all on consoles...I'm just not really seeing it.

goonergaz

No massively inferior infers a HUGE difference. Wii compared to 360 or PS3. Wii U compared to PS4 and XB1. That is a Massively inferior difference. The PS4 is superior to the XB1, absolutely no doubt about it but yes, saying "massively inferior" IS an exaggeration of the differences.

~50% less pixels (ie raw information) with worse framerate and less effects isn't 'massively inferior'?

wow

as of this morning I know exactly 0 people who are going to get the xbone - the last handful of "lets wait and see" guys just cancelled their pre orders because of this

thuway

Whether people like to people it or not - launch titles are hack jobs. Things only go up from here, and Battlefield 4 and more importantly Killzone Shadow Fall are no slouches in the visual department.

artist

Banned
When you're in a war you have a vested interest in the people providing the ammunition.

I think most people who where interested in the Xbox can walk away happy from this comparison. Considering the hype for the differences in the PS4 and XBO versions, this was a non event. It's not pronounced enough to deter someone who was interested in getting MS new system. But there is enough of a difference that PS4's fans can whip out the gif's and feel superior.

Its a win win.
Sure, if they are fine with lower IQ. That was always going to be the case, you cant see the differences? The power deficit doesnt matter to you.

wow

as of this morning I know exactly 0 people who are going to get the xbone - the last handful of "lets wait and see" guys just cancelled their pre orders because of this
*High Five*

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, Ill play these games on my PC... you know the real system that makes both these consoles "massively inferior" Now THAT is not an exaggeration.

You are right, it isnt an exaggeration. Its not an exaggeration in the same way that PS4 is massively superior to X1. Easy as that.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I think most people who where interested in the Xbox can walk away happy from this comparison. Considering the hype for the differences in the PS4 and XBO versions, this is a non even. It's not pronounced enough to deter someone who was interested in getting MS new system. But there is enough of a difference that PS4's fans can whip out the gif's and feel superior.
Not only that, but let's run with the rumors of MS SDK tools being buggy/behind/incomplete and things can only improve for XB1 in terms of performance.

The takeaway to me is that the ps4 is indeed more powerful but it's diminishing returns. I personally wouldnt go changing what system I would get based off of these differences.

It's interesting because it's both 30% and not really a big deal. Both sides were right.

That said I think that extra horsepower will really shine in games built for the platform.

And the fact that they didn't show xb1 MP due to technical issues lends some credence to my source/thuway/cboat about xbl issues. Or it's a poorly timed coincidence...

Yup, this is Xbox 360 vs Ps3 level of differences. Xbox fans have no reason to switch, in the same way PS3 fans didn't. The power difference will be much more noticeable in 1st party games however, where the games are specifically tailored to the platform. We can already see this with Killzone IMO.

goonergaz

Really? I must really have no concept of what "50% more powerful" looks like or how the PS4 version is in a different league because all I see is better textures and more aliasing in the XB1 version and smoother objects with blurrier/missing textures on the PS4 version which seems more like visual a trade off if anything. Half of those images I prefer the PS4 version and the other half I prefer the XB1. Obviously a cross gen game isn't going to blow anyone away but this is still disappointing on the PS4 front for me. I was at least expecting better textures regardless of their reasoning for them looking muddier. All versions look pretty meh, but after everyone was touting the PS4 version as the end all be all on consoles...I'm just not really seeing it.

diminishing returns

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Whether people like to people it or not - launch titles are hack jobs. Things only go up from here, and Battlefield 4 and more importantly Killzone Shadow Fall are no slouches in the visual department.

I don't know why people are hating on the visuals in this game. It looks damn good for a 60fps launch game that had to be optimized on 5 platforms.

nib95

Banned

Apparently Digital Foundry messed up their capturing.

Xbox One version captures have more sharpness and contrast than they should.
PS4 captures are blurrier than they ought to be.

On a side note though, games later cycle will obliterate this graphically and performance wise. So there's that to consider.

New002

Its a win win.

This is actually a perfect analysis lol.

HariKari

I wonder if the gap is going to increase significantly as even third party developers get a better understanding of the PS4.

Battlefield 4 is a pretty demanding game with what can be on the screen. Even mighty PC rigs can occasionally be brought to their knees. I'd expect for games with smaller scope and more first party knowledge to easily be 1080p.

Loudninja

I think its better for Drive Club to had been delayed.

Some of these games obviously needed extra time.

VanWinkle

Are there screenshots of the CURRENT GEN version? I'd love to see how that looks compared to the XB1 version, since they're a similar resolution. There must be massive differences in texture quality, lighting, etc.

Original DF images adjusted for the Limited RGB that the X1 was recorded in.

NOTE: These images do not have an added "sharpen" filter to "reverse" the blur effects of FXAA.
Original
8EjFutc.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
nkDYCiQ.png

Original
C2vIMNi.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
z8yBukK.png

Original
4ABG6AR.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
SeDPPXM.png

Original
bYvKicb.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
QhL3ezJ.png

Original
zqec0Yf.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
qVbKfzX.png

Original
eq0W5ju.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
ASevfAr.png

Original
ag7JTSp.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
9JMjcoN.png

Original
MmZQbzB.jpg

Limited 16-255 RGB
dhQ3wDf.png

For what it's worth, I hate the crushed blacks.

angrygnat

Until we get these consoles home were kinda pissing in the wind. Of course, that hasn't stopped us all from speculating/hoping. Just my two cents here but a friend of mine had an old junky Phillips Magnavox LCD. My Samsung cost twice as much, and couldn't hold a candle to the Phillps when playing COD MW2. It looked incredible. Everything else looked like ass. Visuals (and impressions) are going to be varied from person to person. I haven't touched my TVs settings and I've always been happy. It's really true what they say. If you are that worried about graphics that you're counting shadows and percentages of what contrast to use in order to see the difference, you need to invest your money in a high end PC. Otherwise use the specs and features to decide. This boils down to people needing to be superior to someone else. I get that. I'm just as big a victim to that aspect of human nature as anyone else. If it gives you a woody to tell people they suck because their console hasn't got as big a stick as yours does then by all means, get a PS4. PC guys will always rain on your parade anyway so don't get too excited. Seriously. Just enjoy what you get. No ones getting disappointed this generation.

iJudged

Banned
Lol MS Smdh... They were more concerned about making sure this Fucking Kinect is showed down our throughts so they can scan our homes and use it to try and sell us shit, give infos to NSA greedy assholes. Now you're going to pay the price Bwahahahahaa and I don't feel bad one bit, only if I can find a place to preorder and get the ps4 day 1...

velociraptor

diminishing returns
Can we all stop perpetuating this stupid idea?

There is no such thing as diminishing returns.

Compared to some of the screenshots I've seen in the PC thread, the IQ of the PS4/XBO version looks pretty horrendous.

There is still a long way to go in terms of improvements. Biggest crime of this game is the fact it'll run at sub native resolutions. 1080p and a good quality AA solution makes a world of difference image quality.

I also wonder whether these versions have AF.

Top Bottom