• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

I don't think most people are watching the Jackfrags videos. It's a shame because they're the highest quality footage out there right now. I don't see how some of the pc gamers can randomly drive-by and say the PS4 version looks like "shit" compared to pc.

TBH it's hard to tell the difference in compressed youtube videos. They even work in favor of 360/PS3 versions of the game. Anyway, both next gen versions look fine to me

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Nah, both versions look good. However, that doesn't stop the ps4 from being the best version.
Tough pill to swallow for some folks here.

Absolutely. I'll be on the Inferior product playing with the friends I've had since Halo 2 days.

PS3 > Xbox360
PS4 > XboxOne

Still sticking with the tried and true for the friends.
I'd gladly pay $100 extra to see Denver dominate San Diego, just to chill with friends.
(oct2012 better not happen again)

teiresias

If FXAA is being used on the XB1, which is probably the case, it will also cause blurring; but some sort of artificial sharpening is being applied at some point that's presumably masking it and replacing it with artifactual edges.

Most early FXAA injectors had settings for sharpening settings to combat FXAA blurring. I don't know why people bother with FXAA anyway - at least try and get SMAA working satsifactorily instead. It's much better.

OP should modify opening post and take out the useless DF comparison pics/videos and use Jackfrag ones instead. As they are a more accurate representation... my two cents.

NOT THREAD WHINING

did anyone change their pre-order for either console because of this footage?

or did anyone change their pre-order of BF4 (getting it vs. not)?

JackFrags wasn't lying when he said PS4 MP > XO SP. I don't know how I'm going to divide my time between this and Killzone.

I mean, if BF multiplayer is your cup of tea, there aren't any games that can substitute for it. I assume one of the two will become your preferred multiplayer experience. I'd wager that will be BF, as DICE has been doing it well for a long time.

JackFrags videos deserve its own thread. Great job. Amazing footage.

Agreed.

let's see how this is in reality:

PC

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PC_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

PS4

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PS4_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

Beside obviously lower resloution i don't see any usual FXAA crap like more blurry textures.
Imo DICE did amazing work with PS4 version and its AA.

Do we even know if it is FXAA ?
Maybe they are using MLAA variant?

I mean look at this how AA brakes in PS4 gif. It is obviously sub pixel problem that would point at MLAA variant instead of FXAA

iQXnww9oCgl6.gif

At start there is something that looks like popin at left side at start. It is AA braking.
At the end of video at upper side of gix there is powerline that also pops which looks like AA switching on/off

Can someone explain how FXAA works compared to MLAA variant ?

edit:

i noticed in those 2 shots there are way less objects at bottom of those towers in PS4 version compared to PC. Same with grass.

Isn't that an xbone gif?

Perkel

Banned
Am I the only one that finds the chromatic aberration popping up randomly very distracting? Granted, I've never really played BF, so maybe this effect (or something similar) was used in older games, it just looks really annoying to me.

Yes its annoying as fuck. I hated in Crysis and seems BF has it too.

Why the fuck someone would put it in game and thought : "it looks cool" No it doesn't. Our eyes doesn't show some weird orange cyan whatever that is in real life.

I wonder why people keep using these GIFs. Don't people see that the UI elements don't line up? The PS4 UI elements are closer to the edge of the screen than the Xbox One's. What this probably means is that the original PS4 image was blown up slightly so it could be aligned with the Xbox One screenshot, which makes the GIF completely useless as a compairson: the PS4 screen is not in its original resolution anymore and less sharp.

I think people are not clicking on the images, so they are only viewing them as small.

beast786

Indeed. I was wondering why Salvor was banned and then...

Man, I can't friggin wait for the COD comparisons.

That is actually not fair for the mods.

We should really get together and start Free Salvor Movement

How can these cruel mods take away our entertainment when COD comparison and Salvor posting

Jabba

Banned
So what I've learned ITT is that people commonly fall for the turn up the contrast tricks used to sell low end TV's. I've also learned that KZ:SF absolutely trounces BF4 in a very dramatic fashion.

Yeah, the masses fall for many things. The TVs, Betamax vs VHS, Amiga vs PC, Color Mac vs PC, slighty louder perceived as better quality when buying audio equipment, etc etc....

No one will ever convince anyone else about which looks better. The innacurate picture, looks great to them.

The Jack frags MP PS4 video has no blur in it when watched at a 1080p. Looks fantastic. Why anyone would see that and think the PS4 single player would still be blurry is beyond me. Even Videogamer in one of their videos said their PS4 footage came out with a problem, they said they fixed it and THEN they did their comparison. If DF keeps making these errors, then you won't be able to trust them.

It's clear DICE did the best they could and I'm sure both purchasers of each console will be satisfied with the results.

People may think because the masses can't tell, are underestimating the desire to have the BEST. Many want the best they can get regardless. The PS4 is the best version of the consoles. That's what will be told to them by word of mouth by the opinion makers like on gaf. How anyone cane watch over 50% more pixels and more effects/post proccessing more fps and claim parity, is typical bullshit.

Alchemist

I mean, if BF multiplayer is your cup of tea, there aren't any games that can substitute for it. I assume one of the two will become your preferred multiplayer experience. I'd wager that will be BF, as DICE has been doing it well for a long time.

It probably will be Battlefield. I imagine it's going to have longer life too being that everything is already unlocked from the start in Killzone.

All versions look good to me. Fuck me right?

Not at all, man.
Both look good.
PS4 just looks better all around.
Some people just have trouble accepting that.

Weird is that it's going to be mostly the same people that got all pumped by PS360 comparisons this gen when the 360 got te upper hand a bunch of times.

moho-foe

Neo Member
Yes, the JackFrags PS4 video is some of the best video captures around (far better than DF or IGN for sure).

If you look at only piece of BF4 footage on PS4, be sure you look at the JackFrags video. Note he has video of several different maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oWkgNO2coc

yup. i really wish the DF footage would get banished and replaced with the JackFrags footage. it's so much better and gives you a clear idea of what to expect.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Why isn't there a separate thread for the JackFrags footage. Someone might as well do it since there's one for IGNs stuff.

Tabular

Banned
let's see how this is in reality:

PC

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PC_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

PS4

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/7/9/9/2/BF4_PS4_023.jpg.jpg/EG11/resize/1920x-1

Beside obviously lower resloution i don't see any usual FXAA crap like more blurry textures.
Imo DICE did amazing work with PS4 version and its AA.

Do we even know if it is FXAA ?
Maybe they are using MLAA variant?

I mean look at this how AA brakes in PS4 gif. It is obviously sub pixel problem that would point at MLAA variant instead of FXAA

iQXnww9oCgl6.gif

At start there is something that looks like popin at left side at start. It is AA braking.
At the end of video at upper side of gix there is powerline that also pops which looks like AA switching on/off

Can someone explain how FXAA works compared to MLAA variant ?

edit:

i noticed in those 2 shots there are way less objects at bottom of those towers in PS4 version compared to PC. Same with grass.

Isn't that an xbone gif?

That's what I thought too. Wrong platform there.

Perkel

Banned
But isn't this also cropped and zoomed in? Yes, it looks ugly, but framing it like that isn't completely fair.

There is nothing unfair about it.
PS4 version gif i posted also was zoomed in and cropped at exactly same position.

edit: apperently there was no zooming in either version just cropped image from 1080p youtube footage

Naturally Xbone version doesn't have that much evident aliasing as in that gif because it is as you said zoomed but aliasing is TERRIBLE on Xbone version especially in motion where aliasing crawling is destroying image quality.

That's what I thought too. Wrong platform there.

No that was PS4 version.

Here is Xbone version of same gif:

ibcyLL9DEObrRq.gif

Top Bottom